PDA

View Full Version : Playing USTA tournaments - help?

AsgerHO
06-03-2009, 06:19 AM
Ill be coming to the states from January 2010.
I dont know yet if I can find a college to play for, but Im searching.
Id like to know how it all works concerning individual tournaments.

In Denmark adult tournaments are divided into categories A (nationals), B, 1, 2 and 3.
How does it work in USA, and how many tournaments are there in the different states?
Ill probably be looking to stay in either Boston or Chicago, but its still undecided.
Anyway I would like to play a lot of tournaments, besides Futures.

I hope someone will guide me :)

Thanks

HookEmJeff
06-03-2009, 10:39 PM
Just play "Open" level tournaments in your area (wherever you end up) and see how those go for you.

You will have to get a USTA membership to play in these tournaments.

Jeff

Casey10s
06-04-2009, 02:24 PM
For the different age brackets including Open, there are different types of events. There are National events, Level 2 Nationals which are usually a step down, local money tournaments, and regular tournaments (no money prizes), pretty much in that level. Some of the lower level tournaments may be broken up as sectional tournaments (higher level) and district tournaments (lower level).

There will also be non-USTA sanctioned tournaments which can also be fun to play. Competition in these will widely vary. You will find some very good players and some others that are there for the social part of it.

JRstriker12
06-04-2009, 02:36 PM
You can search and sign up for USTA Tournaments here:

http://tennislink.usta.com/Tournaments/Schedule/Search.aspx

You will need join USTA to play USTA events - it's something like $35 or $45 for the year.