PDA

View Full Version : What does Open Era mean?

shawn1122
06-03-2009, 12:06 PM
I once read a book about this, about how the pros were seperated from the amateurs or something, but I didn't fully understand what it meant. Can anyone explain it to me? I would greatly appreciate it. Laver played before the Open Era didnt he?

LttlElvis
06-03-2009, 12:11 PM
Prior to 1968, most of the major tournaments allowed only amateur players to participate. Starting in 1968 tournaments were "open" to both pros and ams. There was a time when the best players in the world weren't playing Wimbledon and the other majors because they were pros.

Laver won his first slam in 1962 as an am., then 1969 as a pro during the open era. Amazing feat.

shawn1122
06-03-2009, 12:15 PM
I see, but I don't understand why they would seperate amateurs and pros, what could they possibly gain from that?

raiden031
06-03-2009, 12:21 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_era

Winners or Errors
06-03-2009, 12:21 PM
I once read a book about this, about how the pros were seperated from the amateurs or something, but I didn't fully understand what it meant. Can anyone explain it to me? I would greatly appreciate it. Laver played before the Open Era didnt he?

Laver won one of his Grand Slams before the Open Era (1962), and one during the Open Era (1969).

380pistol
06-03-2009, 12:25 PM

To simplyfy anyone could compete in majors. But the moment you truned pro you were banned. many players turned pro as that's where the $$$ was and they had to make a living.

So up until 1967 if you turned pro you weren't permitted to play in slams. In 1968 that changed, it was "open" to any and everyone, well if you were good enough. It didn't matter whether you were a pro or an mateaur it was "open" to all comers. Hence the Open Era.

PeppermintMocha
06-04-2009, 10:45 AM
So any "open" tournament, big or small, is a tournament that anyone can play, including pros?