PDA

View Full Version : What is an "A, B, C, etc" Player?

Blask
06-04-2009, 09:57 AM
I've heard a lot of people use these letters to describe people they played as it relates to being bumped up, down, etc.

How do I find out what letter I am or the letter ranking within 3.5 of who I am playing?

Thanks

goober
06-04-2009, 10:05 AM
Key to Type of Rating
S - Self-rate or Medical Appeal
A - Appeal
B - Benchmark - advanced to playoff or championship round
C - Computer
D - Dynamic
M - Mixed Exclusive Year-end Rating
T - Tournament Exclusive Year End Rating

Just type in your name to the find a rating link and you will see what type of rating you have.

http://tennislink.usta.com/leagues/reports/NTRP/FindRating.asp

Sublime
06-04-2009, 10:18 AM
In Atlanta, ALTA rates people by four main categories of AA, A, B, and C with 4-8 flight levels within those main categories. Don't know if other leagues use this non-USTA level system.

LuckyR
06-04-2009, 10:49 AM
Although the above posts are accurate, once upon a time (during the Golden Age of tennis) players and their tournaments were rated A, B and C. A was Open or advanced, B was Club or intermediate and C was Rec or beginner.

innoVAShaun
06-04-2009, 10:56 AM
Key to Type of Rating
S - Self-rate or Medical Appeal
A - Appeal
B - Benchmark - advanced to playoff or championship round
C - Computer
D - Dynamic
M - Mixed Exclusive Year-end Rating
T - Tournament Exclusive Year End Rating

Just type in your name to the find a rating link and you will see what type of rating you have.

http://tennislink.usta.com/leagues/reports/NTRP/FindRating.asp

This is also the link where you can online appeal. After year-end ratings come out, just enter your USTA # and click appeal!

Spokewench
06-04-2009, 10:57 AM
I echo Lucky R in saying that locally, some tournaments are put on as A B and C tournaments. They are not USTA tournaments; so they go by this rating system. Here, the C group is 2.5-3.0; the B is 3.5-4.0; and the A is above 4.0. There is of course some overlap cause people will play in a category they want to. Our club also rates programs like this as well.

spoke

tennisdad65
06-04-2009, 11:02 AM
Although the above posts are accurate, once upon a time (during the Golden Age of tennis) players and their tournaments were rated A, B and C. A was Open or advanced, B was Club or intermediate and C was Rec or beginner.

I prefer a more streamlined system like that..
five levels is enough.. not the ~14 levels of the NTRP

A = Satellite/pro's
B = College/Futures/Open
C = Advanced club
D = Intermediate club
E = Beginner

ok.. maybe add a couple of levels.. 7 instead of 14..

sureshs
06-04-2009, 12:42 PM
These are also used in clubs to rate women. For example, "AA ladies clinic on Thursday morning." "So-and-so looking for BB ladies."

At first I thought it was bra size.

Blask
06-04-2009, 02:36 PM
Thanks for all of the replies, my question has been answered!