PDA

View Full Version : Is USTA worth joining?

nocompromise2009
06-04-2009, 02:11 PM
I was thinking about doing some tournaments this summer and i wanted to know if it was really worth joining. What all comes with a membership?

Thanks

subaru3169
06-04-2009, 02:33 PM
i think it'd depend on how well you play and how competitive you are.. if you don't train a lot and aren't very good, i'd say it probably wouldn't be worth it

but if you've done some training and frequently practice, i'd say go for it.. it's good experience

other than tournament play, you get a couple magazines iirc.. and a ranking if you play enough tourneys

Tennis_Maniac
06-04-2009, 02:56 PM
A USTA membership is a definite must. But in order to play in tournaments, you have to be realistic with your playing ability. Like the user above me said, if you're good, then do it; but if you're bad, then don't waste your money.

eeytennis
06-04-2009, 02:59 PM
I was thinking about doing some tournaments this summer and i wanted to know if it was really worth joining. What all comes with a membership?

Thanks

Joining the USTA is 100% worth it. Even if you aren't that good, join anyway and play tournaments...tournaments can't hurt and you will gain good playing and competition experience. The USTA fee is really cheap although you do have to pay tournament fees.

royer
06-04-2009, 03:21 PM
Worth it? Actually no; in my opinion you get very little for what you pay for. BUT, I'm an adult player ... you know ... jaded, cynical, grumpy :-?.

Unfortunately, if you plan on playing competitively at all, a USTA membership is a must. (sigh)

Hope you do decide to get into tennis. Fun sport that you can play for most of the rest of your life. Best of luck to you.

nocompromise2009
06-04-2009, 03:28 PM
i think it'd depend on how well you play and how competitive you are.. if you don't train a lot and aren't very good, i'd say it probably wouldn't be worth it

but if you've done some training and frequently practice, i'd say go for it.. it's good experience

other than tournament play, you get a couple magazines iirc.. and a ranking if you play enough tourneys

I play everday after school except the rainy days :( but i am very commited to this sport and i cant beat most of the other beginners at my school and another kid that has been playing for about 3 years that played some varsity HS matches. I'll most likely get the USTA membership and try it out for a year and if its not worth it then i wont renew. Thanks for everyone's help. I appreciate all of the help.

scraps234
06-04-2009, 05:20 PM
if your competitive and are into the sport then you should. It will take your game to a new level and it is way worth it...