PDA

View Full Version : San Francisco/Bay area tennis vacation?

goober
03-20-2005, 01:50 PM
I want to travel to San Fran in May to do family things and get some tennis in. Any suggestions? I looked at Tennis resorts Online and it was rather bare for bay area stuff. I want to actually be in the city or very close by if possible not somewhere like Santa Cruz or Napa.

OnyxZ28
03-20-2005, 06:16 PM
You know, I don't know much about the City itself, because it's pretty cramped, but Fremont has some nice public tennis courts off of the Stevenson Blvd exit on I-880. As for resorts, I'm clueless, sorry.

bookem
03-25-2005, 07:12 PM
Goober...

Couldn't tell from your post whether you're looking for some games or trying to stay at a tennis resort.... :confused:

Assuming the latter, there are no resorts within the City itself. Closest I know of is in the Oakland Hills (on the way to Orinda), the Claremont Hotel. Nice courts with a well-run program... Here's a link: http://www.claremontresort.com/club/tennis.asp

Otherwise, other places in North Bay are the Silverado Country Club and Meadowood Resort in Napa County. Silverado also has golf.

South Bay, the only resort I can think of is John Gardner's over in Carmel, which is run by PBI last I recall.

If you're looking for pickup games, best bets is Golden Gate Park. There's always a good number of people there with various skill levels (mostly 4.0). On weekends, you might also try SF State's courts, off 19th Ave. If you know some members, the absolute best in the City is the SF Tennis Club which has both indoors and outdoors.

Good luck, hit some balls, and make sure you pick up a dungeness with an Anchor six-pack!

Prince_of_Tennis
03-25-2005, 10:48 PM
I remember this resort. My cousin had to fix the computers in the treadmills. I didn't know anything about tennis back then but the resort was really nice.

SC in MA
03-26-2005, 05:07 AM
When I visit relatives in Marin County, I can usually pickup a game at Boyle Park in Mill Valley. http://www.boyleparktennis.com

Cruzer
03-26-2005, 01:19 PM
If you are just looking for courts to hit at I am sure there are several options however since I live in the Monterey Bay area I am not too familiar with tennis facilities in the city. If you are looking for a classy resort to stay at and play some tennis Carmel Valley Ranch is very nice. Pebble Beach also has a superb tennis facility close to the Lodge at Pebble Beach.

03-27-2005, 02:36 PM
Boyle Park is great for picking up a game. Try Golden Gate Park in San Francisco as well. They have 18 courts and there's always someone wanting to hit.

MonkeyPox
04-08-2005, 10:21 AM
Golden Gate Park for sure. I'm the president of the tennis club there and on the weekends there are always people who want to hit. Can be a bit crowded and tough to get courts early in the day, but it thins out.

SC in MA
04-11-2005, 10:03 AM
Golden Gate Park for sure. I'm the president of the tennis club there and on the weekends there are always people who want to hit. Can be a bit crowded and tough to get courts early in the day, but it thins out.Hi MonkeyPox: Is it possible to pickup games in the mid-morning/early afternoon time frame during the week? Or, when is the best time to pickup games during the week? Thanks.