PDA

View Full Version : Pros' Travelling Routine -- Grant?

david aames
03-20-2005, 04:27 PM
I'm wondering how professional tennis players deal with the travelling when it comes to their equipment...

Browsing through press photos I'd say that they are keeping their racquets with them at the hotel (Safin notoriously lost his gear in Rome last year during that fire incident) but what about the way there? Are they fedexing everything from one location to another? Checking in their racquet bag on the flight they are on?

What about the number of racquets they are travelling with? Number of shoes? Are they bringing more racquets to a major than to a TMS?

Fee
03-20-2005, 07:41 PM
Well, I finally drove a player to the airport on my last day in San Jose. He had two very large rolling duffle bags from his clothing sponsor, a very full backpack (laptop buried in there somewhere) and a 9-pack racquet bag with 7 sticks. Four bags total, 2 checked, 2 carry on. Nothing shipped as far as I know, but a new pair of shoes were waiting for him at his next hotel (he goes through a pair every week). This was a US player, playing in the US for two more weeks before getting a week long break back at home. I've also seen players roaming around airports with their racquet bags, so I think they try to carry them on as often as possible. Just my two cents...

david aames
03-20-2005, 08:08 PM
Interesting... That means that he would be allowed 2 carry ons including a 9 racquets bag on board? What if he is asked by a cranky airline employee to check in the racquet bag?

Well, I finally drove a player to the airport on my last day in San Jose. He had two very large rolling duffle bags from his clothing sponsor, a very full backpack (laptop buried in there somewhere) and a 9-pack racquet bag with 7 sticks. Four bags total, 2 checked, 2 carry on. Nothing shipped as far as I know, but a new pair of shoes were waiting for him at his next hotel (he goes through a pair every week). This was a US player, playing in the US for two more weeks before getting a week long break back at home. I've also seen players roaming around airports with their racquet bags, so I think they try to carry them on as often as possible. Just my two cents...

Fee
03-20-2005, 10:28 PM
I was wondering the same thing about those racquet bags, especially considering how many of the guys carry laptops now. Its supposed to be one carry on bag, and one 'personal item' on domestic flights now right? I can say the 9-pack wasn't entirely full, like it could kind of be squished in a bit if necessary. Perhaps United Airlines is a bit more lenient? They aren't really much bigger than some of the rolling cases I've seen people carry on to Southwest flights. I definitely get the feeling that players do not like to be seperated from their racquets if they can help it. James Blake said something at Hopman Cup (I think it was this year) about losing his luggage on the way over and needing to borrow clothes, but I don't remember him saying that he needed to get racquets.

I'm now very curious about this too. Hope someone else can give us more info.

mido
03-21-2005, 07:26 PM
It's better to carry on racquets on board.
If you check them in, you must re-string them as they will loose tension.
Most pros re-string racquets at the destination anyway.

nswelshman
05-06-2005, 10:52 PM
Pro's usually have a few methods of dealing with extra-baggage.

For check in at airports:

Firstly, the national federation writes an official letter explaining the situation with the excessive luggage- National Athlete on World Tour etc. that is presented at check in. This official letter has no official recognition so to speak with airlines, but is used as evidence of the professional status of the athlete.
Secondly, most of the athletes have enough frequent flier points that they are given luggage benefits and consideration. Thirdly, if in doubt, they just talk to the check in person about being a pro athlete- and the check in person is usually very understanding, if not excited to be conversing with a pro.

Really, the only time equipment is shipped is directly from the manufacturers to the players so that it is waiting at the hotel of the new destination when they check in.

Company reps are always travelling to events, as well as the company team manager, so if anything is lost, they generally can get anything they need off the rep/manager.

Note: Non of the baggage allowance 'escape rules' apply for Japan!! They work by the book, and extra baggage is extra baggage is pay extra please! (Don't know if this is different for Sharapova since they love her over there...)

hummer23
05-07-2005, 10:50 PM
do pro's carry sets of string with them, or do they just buy them or get tourney stringers to provide the strigns at teh destination? also, do they pay the fees for stringing at tournaments, and how much are they per frame? or is it on a tournament commision basis?

schaefferm46
05-08-2005, 11:38 AM
most pros use reels for poly but im not sure about gut

Craig Sheppard
05-08-2005, 08:16 PM
That's strange they carry that much luggage. I've heard most Hollywood types FedEx everything from site to site--a lot more reliable and a lot less of a headache. I could see easily FedEx-ing clothing, or even equipment like racquets. Probably more superstitious about it than anything. Of course it could get pricey doing that, but lost luggage would be a huuuuge price.