PDA

View Full Version : Useful gadgets for Tennis strokes

George
02-22-2004, 02:00 PM
Have any body bought this gadget and find it useful.
or any other helpful suggestion for gadgets for long winters
and expensive court time to groove a person's strokes?

http://practicehit.com/practicehit_plus.htm

Thanks,

Bungalo Bill
02-23-2004, 10:08 AM
I have seen it around. Have not used it or know of anyone using it. If $50 is not a lot to you, you might want to try it and let us know if it helped improve your game.

It also looks like a great tool for beginners or kids.

Bungalo Bill
02-27-2004, 10:36 AM
I ordered a couple of these to test them. I will let you know what I find using them myself and with my kids!

George
02-27-2004, 11:04 AM
Thanks Bungalo Bill,

I was just about to order one myself. But I will wait for your asessment. Are you ordering the Pro version which is 40" high and suppose to be sturdier? Look forward for your review.

A side question, what your view on a player pulling up too early on a open stand Forehand and the 2 handed backhand, are there things for the player to do so to minimize the problem?

Thanks

George

Stinkdyr
02-27-2004, 11:18 AM
looks fine for topspin and flat shots.......but what about slice?

Bungalo Bill
02-27-2004, 11:22 AM
looks fine for topspin and flat shots.......but what about slice?

my thoughts as well, we shall see!

Bungalo Bill
02-27-2004, 11:26 AM
Thanks Bungalo Bill,

I was just about to order one myself. But I will wait for your asessment. Are you ordering the Pro version which is 40" high and suppose to be sturdier? Look forward for your review.

A side question, what your view on a player pulling up too early on a open stand Forehand and the 2 handed backhand, are there things for the player to do so to minimize the problem?

Thanks

George

There are things you can do, but if you would take the time to explain a little more about why and when you are doing it - I can give some specific advise and some drills. A lot of pulling up comes from not aligning yourself to the ball properly and your judgement about the ball. Does this happen on most balls? Or just some balls like high balls?

Bungalo Bill
02-27-2004, 11:27 AM
Thanks Bungalo Bill,

Thanks

George

There are things you can do, but if you would take the time to explain a little more about why and when you are doing it - I can give some specific advise and some drills. A lot of pulling up comes from not aligning yourself to the ball properly and your judgement about the ball. Does this happen on most balls? Or just some balls like high balls?

Of forgot, I am ordering both. Plus and regular.

George
02-27-2004, 11:41 AM
It is not me it is my son. I should video next time he plays to see when he does it. Could he be trying to hit too hard and recover too soon? rushing??
Is pulling up too early and opening up too soon a related problem/

lendl lives
02-27-2004, 11:47 AM
george move to california! as crazy about tennis as i am right now i could not bear living back east.

Bungalo Bill
02-27-2004, 06:27 PM
It is not me it is my son. I should video next time he plays to see when he does it. Could he be trying to hit too hard and recover too soon? rushing??
Is pulling up too early and opening up too soon a related problem/

Yes, that could be it, a lot of the racquet head speed happens within a foot of the impact of the ball. So there is no need to have this huge swing. But most kids feel pressured for some reason to have shots that are more winner type shots then just consistant stroke progression.

My daughter is the same way. I can see her immaturity in her ability to control her sensations. If she hits it well she will gradually hit it harder and harder and sometime she will try and hit it so hard that she spins around and falls on her rumpus. I laugh and she is embarrased. I ask her "how many people are playing tennis out here?" She says, "just you and me Daddy" and I say "so why are you trying to hit the ball over to the next court?"

She understands and we begin to just keep a consistent rally going. What I am teaching her is ball control. It is a simple concept isn't it? I dont teach her rap around the neck shots or anything like that. She is not ready for that yet. she is learning a low to high swing, bending her knees and putting a perpendicular racquet on the ball - all the time. Later when she matures and has complete control of the ball, she will mature and add her punch. But that is later. My daugther is 7.

southend
10-12-2008, 11:29 PM
BB: Was this gadget any good??

Tim Tennis
10-13-2008, 07:54 AM
Wow, that is an old thread. 2004?