PDA

View Full Version : how should the masters cup (london finals) field be worked out.

vegeta SSJ4
06-06-2009, 01:44 AM
should it be the top 8 players on rankings, or should they go by the race, or should it be the top 8 players based on masters series results in that year.

joeri888
06-06-2009, 01:46 AM
What's the difference between by race and by ranking? At the end of the year it's the same thing no? Or is last year's MC still taken into account?

Not just master series results at least. It would be ridiculous if a guy won 2 Slams or something and wasn't there because he did a poor job in Master Series

vegeta SSJ4
06-06-2009, 01:47 AM
What's the difference between by race and by ranking? At the end of the year it's the same thing no? Or is last year's MC still taken into account?

Not just master series results at least. It would be ridiculous if a guy won 2 Slams or something and wasn't there because he did a poor job in Master Series

no, nalbandian was in the top 8 rankings but was 9 on the race

jamesblakefan#1
06-06-2009, 01:51 AM
I thought rankings and race were the same at yrs end. Anyways, an interesting thing is, if Soderling wins Sunday, he's automatically into the TMC.

vegeta SSJ4
06-06-2009, 01:53 AM
I thought rankings and race were the same at yrs end. Anyways, an interesting thing is, if Soderling wins Sunday, he's automatically into the TMC.

fair enough though, he would have won a slam

Chelsea_Kiwi
06-06-2009, 03:38 AM
I thought rankings and race were the same at yrs end. Anyways, an interesting thing is, if Soderling wins Sunday, he's automatically into the TMC. Do slam winners get automatic entry?

MasturB
06-06-2009, 03:44 AM
Do slam winners get automatic entry?

Slam winners usually have enough points to be ranked that high I suppose, if they remain consistent that is.

joeri888
06-06-2009, 03:50 AM
Slam winners usually have enough points to be ranked that high I suppose, if they remain consistent that is.

I thought they used to be qualified automatically, like Horna with someone in doubles for winning RG. However, Nadal qualified recently for TMC, because of winning ROme or something. Otherwise he'd qualified at AO already.

jamesblakefan#1
06-06-2009, 04:12 AM
Apparently its any slam winner between 8 & 20

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=262116&page=3&highlight=Nadal+Masters+Cup

nfor304
06-06-2009, 04:18 AM
slam winners get automatic entry as long as they are in the top 20. Ivanisevic played in sydney in 2001 despite being ranked 12 I think. The current masters cup is a combined event with the old masters event and the old grand slam cup, which was the grand slam finalists. It used to be 2 different events and is now a single event as of 2000 which is why they changed the qualification rules.
So i think they way players qualify now is just fine.