PDA

View Full Version : Uncle Toni: Nadal in Wimbledon in doubt

icedevil0289
06-06-2009, 06:42 AM
Got this from mtf: Someone there translated parts of it

Source: http://www.elpais.com/articulo/deportes/Nadal/aguanta/dolor/elpepudep/20090606elpepidep_7/Tes

Some extracts. Uncle Toni: "Let's see if we make it to Wimbledon. It's not clear. But even if he has to go with a shock treatment, if he's reasonably well, he'll go. Right now, however, we can't tell".

The article goes on saying he has been having pain in his knee, the problem wasn't deemed to be serious, only a matter of pain, but it's been getting worse and worse. In the end he didn't bend his knees like he usually does and that was affecting his shots. In the third set against Soderling he said to his camp "It hurts. I can't...", but they decided not to comment on it afterwards because "you have to be a good loser".

I hope that's not the case. Poor rafa::(:(

dh003i
06-06-2009, 06:57 AM
Although not surprising given the way the guy plays, it is really too bad. Hopefully, it can be taken care of and will be better by Wimbledon.

But the ultimate solution is to play less events, especially during the HC season, but even during the clay season.

Unless he changes his playing style, he may also need to focus on the slams.

rommil
06-06-2009, 06:58 AM
Well this has been touted for sometime now. Nadal's optimal level of play would be hard for anybody to maintain. I have always thought too that Rafa's thick and muscular build up makes him susceptible to injuries and his over zealous demeanor will catch up to him. It takes a lot of energy to sustain that. I think the Nadal camp has also been a bit greedy with their scheduling. Oh well, hope he comes back healthy.

vtmike
06-06-2009, 06:59 AM
Oh! Lets hope he gets well soon...

thejoe
06-06-2009, 07:02 AM
Rafa :( You better be at Wimbledon.

checkmilu
06-06-2009, 07:02 AM
Nadal needs more rest, should never risk his long term career with small tours, just the slams and may be a pre-slam tour to warm up. It's bad for the sport without Nadal

dh003i
06-06-2009, 07:04 AM
Well this has been touted for sometime now. Nadal's optimal level of play would be hard for anybody to maintain. I have always thought too that Rafa's thick and muscular build up makes him susceptible to injuries and his over zealous demeanor will catch up to him. It takes a lot of energy to sustain that. I think the Nadal camp has also been a bit greedy with their scheduling. Oh well, hope he comes back healthy.

I don't know much about Nadal's team, is it just mainly Uncle Toni? I mean, I hate to criticize the guy, since he devotes his life to Rafa. But I think Rafa probably needs some kind of professional trainer who can provide input on what is too much schedule.

DarthFed
06-06-2009, 07:06 AM
Things are this bad?

He looked invincible after the AO....just goes to show....we must take every match one at a time..

But this explains the errant FH at times...the horrible serves as of late (he hit a serve against Djoker...that didn't even get dumped into the net...it landed a few feet in front of the net_

There were people who were saying Nadal wasn't as good as last year despite the results..he'll have to cut down on the schedule

icedevil0289
06-06-2009, 07:07 AM
I don't know much about Nadal's team, is it just mainly Uncle Toni? I mean, I hate to criticize the guy, since he devotes his life to Rafa. But I think Rafa probably needs some kind of professional trainer who can provide input on what is too much schedule.

I'm not trying to say uncle toni is lying, but he has had a history of perhaps exaggerating rafa's injuries and what not. I remember the "career threatening injury" thing that happened. I hope this is the case this time and we'll see rafa playing at wimbledon.

supermario343
06-06-2009, 07:09 AM
Being a Federer fan, I do feel bad for Nadal getting these kinds of injuries. Its going to attract less people to the sport if hes not there too :(. We all love seeing the great rivalries and I dont want it to stop...get better Rafa!

Avril_lover7
06-06-2009, 07:11 AM
haven't some people disscused b4 that his game could put him at risk ,
and he could retire so soon !!!!!!

icedevil0289
06-06-2009, 07:11 AM
Being a Federer fan, I do feel bad for Nadal getting these kinds of injuries. Its going to attract less people to the sport if hes not there too :(. We all love seeing the great rivalries and I dont want it to stop...get better Rafa!

yeah and I heard that ancic will not be playing at wimbly either, which, as a ancic fan, made me very sad.

Rafa...work on your schedule please.

FlamEnemY
06-06-2009, 07:12 AM
Although I dislike his game, I hope he is ok. It will be a shame if he misses Wimbledon. Hopefully this will encourage him to tweak his game so he doesn't end up with 80-year old's knees.

rommil
06-06-2009, 07:13 AM

Well Nadal camp I meant him and Uncle Toni. I don't know either if there are more people in there but I mean if Rafa feels like he is playing too much I trust that he would let that know to his uncle.

VivalaVida
06-06-2009, 07:15 AM
People were really on to something when they said Nadal might not last long due to injuries

DarthFed
06-06-2009, 07:18 AM
but this early?

Then again..Nadal didn't become good last year...he's been a force since he was 18..so his career is much longer than it feels..

But i think he'll be okay..unfortunately i don't think skipping queens would help him too much

P_Agony
06-06-2009, 07:19 AM
I hope he recovers quickliy and feels alright by Wimbeldon. Poor guy, it must really suck that you can't play important tournys because of injuries. :-(

egn
06-06-2009, 07:20 AM
Its sad he was so determined for being number 1 and focusing on staying there that he has played so much tennis the past 5 years. Not only that his body was still developing as he was not 23 or 24 he was 18 at points I hope this isn't a sign of an end for Rafa it would be sad.

icedevil0289
06-06-2009, 07:20 AM
but this early?

Then again..Nadal didn't become good last year...he's been a force since he was 18..so his career is much longer than it feels..

But i think he'll be okay..unfortunately i don't think skipping queens would help him too much

I do. If he wants to be ready for wimbledon, he needs to rest and that would mean skipping queens.

Seany
06-06-2009, 07:23 AM
I'm sorry to say it, but this is why he wont get close to federer in terms of number of grand slams.

R.Federer
06-06-2009, 07:24 AM
i think he will play wimbleodn even if hes struggling hes a fighter and its the biggest tournament of the year i cant see him misisng it.

but i hope it comes bk healthier,one things for sure is that his longevitiy in the game wont be more than 4 or 5 years imo

mandy01
06-06-2009, 07:25 AM
Feel sorry for him,certainly,but I doubt he'll miss Wimbledon.Nevertheless,here's wishing him a speedy recovery.

Telepatic
06-06-2009, 07:28 AM
Nadal needs to change his game a bit and cut his schedule, no doubt.

WhiskeyEE
06-06-2009, 07:30 AM
he plays so many tournaments with that style of play. I get bad knees if I do too much cardio (I'm a muscular guy. To the guy who said that rafa is musclar; he's not, he's skinny like all the other ATP players).

Seriously I thought that Rafa would start having serious injury problems a lot earlier than this. I guess he did have to skip masters cup. I don't see Rafa staying as an elite player for more than 2 more years.

Spider
06-06-2009, 07:33 AM
oh Rafa. :(

Get well soon champ, tennis needs champions like you to keep challenging Federer and let this rivalry continue. :)

I think he needs to think about his scheduling and stop playing worthless events like Barcelona and Rotterdam. He should learn these qualities from Federer because lets face it, its the big titles that he needs to concentrate now on and if you're not fit enough for them, then there is something seriously wrong.

Staiger
06-06-2009, 07:33 AM
He will be at Wimbledon , trust me ! this is Rafa we are talking about , one of the most competitive individual on the planet.

Fedexeon
06-06-2009, 07:35 AM
Should be okay i guess? Monfils was having so much trouble wif his knees as well before Roland Garros but he got into the quarterfinals... Unless its a really terrible injury, i don't see Nadal giving up in defending his beloved Wimbledon title.

rommil
06-06-2009, 07:35 AM
Then again this could be Uncle Toni's way of taking attention from what he said about the French crowd lol.

Mansewerz
06-06-2009, 07:36 AM
C'mon Rafa, heal yourself up. Tennis without you takes some spice out of it.

Spider
06-06-2009, 07:38 AM
Yes, I think he'll be there at Wimbledon, unless it is absolutely serious.

If Nadal doesn't show up at Wimbledon, then Murray can win his first slam without much trouble.

icedevil0289
06-06-2009, 07:41 AM

If Nadal doesn't show up at Wimbledon, then Murray can win his first slam without much trouble.

Did roger decide not to show up at wimbledon?

slicekick95
06-06-2009, 07:41 AM

Did someone kill Federer?

Spider
06-06-2009, 07:42 AM
Fed is winning the RG title tommorow and therefore I think he wont be that motivated at Wimbledon this year.

DoubleDeuce
06-06-2009, 07:42 AM
That link is broken

DarthFed
06-06-2009, 07:44 AM

There's this fellow that won it 5 times and came painfully close to winning it last year..hold the open era record of 65 straight grass court wins..made the final without dropping a set..i forget his name...Rob..Robert..oh yea its Roger right? you may know him but he's been under the rader for the last 5 or so years

icedevil0289
06-06-2009, 07:45 AM
That link is broken

I think I copied something wrong, but it should be working now.

Spider
06-06-2009, 07:45 AM
There's this fellow that won it 5 times and came painfully close to winning it last year..hold the open era record of 65 straight grass court wins..made the final without dropping a set..i forget his name...Rob..Robert..oh yea its Roger right? you may know him but he's been under the rader for the last 5 or so years

I don't understand and my prediction stands ;)

Telepatic
06-06-2009, 07:46 AM
Its not like Fed is the only one who can beat Murray at Wimbledon aside of Nadal.

DarthFed
06-06-2009, 07:47 AM
I don't understand and my prediction stands ;)

So you think that *SHOULD HE WIN* tomorrow, that he'll be okay with 14 and not even try for 15?

His lions heart says other wise

icedevil0289
06-06-2009, 07:50 AM
Fed is winning the RG title tommorow and therefore I think he wont be that motivated at Wimbledon this year.

It's wimbledon. Of course roger will be motivated. He was devastated after last years final and I'm sure he will be even more motivated this year to try and get it back.

Cesc Fabregas
06-06-2009, 07:52 AM
Nadal is going to make a WWE style return at Wimbledon during a Federer match hes going to run on to court and hit Fed with a steal chair. :)

Spider
06-06-2009, 07:54 AM
So you think that *SHOULD HE WIN* tomorrow, that he'll be okay with 14 and not even try for 15?

His lions heart says other wise

Interesting question. And these are my thoughts on this. Fed has been working on winning the RG title for a long time now and lost each time to Nadal. So near and yet so far. I am sure each of these defeats motivate him to play Halle the very next week and and also be extremely motivated to win Wimbledon.

However, this year could be different. I think it would be better if I post this tommorow (after Fed wins it), because what Federer is about to do tommorow is something larger than anything he has achieved so far (and considering all that he has managed to achieve, that speaks a lot). This may not motivate him to play Halle and therefore he could enter Wimbedon without any matches on Grass.

Dan007
06-06-2009, 07:54 AM
He should learn how to adjust his schedule from Fed

Spider
06-06-2009, 07:56 AM
I just want to add, Fed will try for sure but may not be like 03-08 (thats what I mean).

DarthFed
Interesting question. And these are my thoughts on this. Fed has been working on winning the RG title for a long time now and lost each time to Nadal. So near and yet so far. I am sure each of these defeats motivate him to play Halle the very next week and and also be extremely motivated to win Wimbledon.

However, this year could be different. I think it would be better if I post this tommorow (after Fed wins it), because what Federer is about to do tommorow is something larger than anything he has achieved so far (and considering all that he has managed to achieve, that speaks a lot). This may not motivate him to play Halle and therefore he could enter Wimbedon without any matches on Grass.

or it could be the opposite..and become the rise of another Federa

SHOULD HE WIN...i think his confidence would increase exponentially...Federer playing with nothing to lose would be dangerous...like he was back in 01' when he took out Sampras

P_Agony
Nadal is going to make a WWE style return at Wimbledon during a Federer match hes going to run on to court and hit Fed with a steal chair. :)

Lol. But then Federer will come back up and hit Nadal with some sweet chin music...:)

ElSuegro
06-06-2009, 07:57 AM
NBC just announced that Rafa has withdrawn from Queens, and Wimbledon is up in the air due to his knee injury. This could be Federer's chance to take #14 and #15.

rommil
06-06-2009, 07:58 AM
He should learn how to adjust his schedule from Fed

Or have Fed do his schedule. I could see it now.

Roger "Ok Rafa you are going to play from January to March, take a rest and then come back sometime in August for the hardcourt season".

valiant
06-06-2009, 07:59 AM
Lol. But then Federer will come back up and hit Nadal with some sweet chin music...:)

Are you an HBK fan:)

rafan
06-06-2009, 07:59 AM
I wonder if it is time for Nadal to look at his game and has he gone as far as he can with uncle Toni?

rommil
06-06-2009, 08:00 AM

With that pink shirt he won't be allowed in, unless he wears predominantly white clothing.

bolo
06-06-2009, 08:01 AM

lol. :)

with mirka in the stands? That would be a WWE storyline for the ages. :) Would that get him kicked out of the ALL England Club?

icedevil0289
06-06-2009, 08:01 AM

Roger "Ok Rafa you are going to play from January to March, take a rest and then come back sometime in August for the hardcourt season".

http://imgsrv2.tennisuniverse.com/mtf/images/smilies/haha.gif

Sentinel
06-06-2009, 08:03 AM
This is sad news. hope he gets back on track soon.

Cesc Fabregas
06-06-2009, 08:05 AM
lol. :)

with mirka in the stands? That would be a WWE storyline for the ages. :) Would that get him kicked out of the ALL England Club?

Nah he wouldn't get kicked out they love him there :) After Rafa has knocked out Fed with a steal chair Wawrinka runs onto court and attacks Nadal then Toni knocks out Wawrinka with a steal chair from behind and leave the court with Fed and Stan knocked out.

Sentinel
06-06-2009, 08:06 AM

Or alternate slams between them, so both are rested and fresh and can keep all the slams between them for hte next 100 years!

bolo
06-06-2009, 08:08 AM
Nah he wouldn't get kicked out they love him there :) After Rafa has knocked out Fed with a steal chair Wawrinka runs onto court and attacks Nadal then Toni knocks out Wawrinka with a steal chair from behind and leave the court with Fed and Stan knocked out.

Lol. And that's just the preview for the upcoming steel cage match.

Sentinel
06-06-2009, 08:10 AM

LOL !!

Then Delpo and Gael both come over and beat up Nadals entire team.

Bjorn99
06-06-2009, 08:11 AM
I am sorry to say we might have seen the top.

Spider
06-06-2009, 08:13 AM
Or alternate slams between them, so both are rested and fresh and can keep all the slams between them for hte next 100 years!

If Fed plays 6, 5 set matches in a row along his way to the final, he still will be fresh in the final, so that agreement wouldn't help Fed. ;)

zagor
06-06-2009, 08:18 AM
I sincerely doubt Nadal will miss Wimbledon,in 2007 before USO he had some knee issues as well but played anyway so given the fact that he's a defending champion and Wimbledon is the most important slam he'll participate for sure.

It's hard to tell how serious his injury is anyway,Toni sometimes says one thing and then Rafa denies what Toni said and says another thing.

malakas
06-06-2009, 08:20 AM

HAHAHAHAHAH thanx man I needed the laugh :lol:

If you believe everytime Uncle Toni talks about an injury Rafa would have already retired from the game.

He will play for sure,and I hope he gets better whatever he has.

mikethehamster
06-06-2009, 08:38 AM
call me cynical but i think these claims are exaggerated. even if he has knee problems, there is no way nadal is missing wimbledon.

GameSampras
06-06-2009, 08:42 AM
beginning of the end for Rafa IMO. Loses RG finally, and it looks that he cant cheat the laws of nature anymore given his style of play. Hes only 23 and already with a plethora of physical problems. He couldnt even finish off the season last year. Can this kid even make it through a whole season HEALTHY?

Well this gives more hope for Roger and gives hope for Djoker and Murray to take that top spot now.

fastdunn
06-06-2009, 08:45 AM
It seems to have affected his backhand much more than his forehand. He should have skipped or tanked Madrid. Somehow I feel like Djokovic is the guy who opened up the draw of French Open and maybe the race for #1.

malakas
06-06-2009, 08:47 AM
Can I ask something???
IF Rafa had so serious problem with his knees WHY on earth didn't he bandaged them like before??Can someone answer this!!

Daized
06-06-2009, 08:49 AM
Can I ask something???
IF Rafa had so serious problem with his knees WHY on earth didn't he bandaged them like before??Can someone answer this!!

Yeah, this is why I am sort of calling BS on this. He would keep them taped if he was having problems no?

zagor
06-06-2009, 08:50 AM
beginning of the end for Rafa IMO. Loses RG finally, and it looks that he cant cheat the laws of nature anymore given his style of play. Hes only 23 and already with a plethora of physical problems. He couldnt even finish off the season last year. Can this kid even make it through a whole season HEALTHY?

Well this gives more hope for Roger and gives hope for Djoker and Murray to take that top spot now.

Unfortunately I'm not convinced Novak has it in him this year to contend for the top spot.I was really shocked by his loss to Kohlschreiber after he had such a good start of the clay season,it was a shame but those kind of things happen in sport I guess.

He can somewhat make up for the lost points at the FO by playing well at Wimbledon as he can gain a lot of points there so hope he has a good grass season.Would be good if he won Halle as that would enable him to enter Wimbledon with some confidence and Novak is a player who really depends on his confidence,even more so than other players.

GameSampras
Its prolly the Borg burnout more than anything.. Rafa doesnt know what its like to go lighter on his schedule, Hes like Borg reincarnated. If he even makes it to Fed's age at 28 and still playing, much less on top I will be the most surprised guy in the world. At this point, Rafa prolly wont even make it to 26 years of age

Dream_On
Yeah, this is why I am sort of calling BS on this. He would keep them taped if he was having problems no?

this is just an excuse after the loss at french open because as we all know if nadal is healthy its impossible for him to lose.

vtmike
06-06-2009, 08:51 AM
I sincerely doubt Nadal will miss Wimbledon,in 2007 before USO he had some knee issues as well but played anyway so given the fact that he's a defending champion and Wimbledon is the most important slam he'll participate for sure.

It's hard to tell how serious his injury is anyway,Toni sometimes says one thing and then Rafa denies what Toni said and says another thing.

Uncle Toni is Uncle Phony! I don't think Rafa will miss Wimby either...No chance!

malakas
06-06-2009, 08:51 AM

in the article it says that he had serious pain before and during RG.So,it's either BS, or very reckless idiotic tactics from him and his team to not take the simple precaution and tape them.

Nadal_Freak
06-06-2009, 08:59 AM
Sad day in tennis. :(

maximo
06-06-2009, 09:01 AM
Murray's got a chance. :twisted:

3lowdown
06-06-2009, 09:02 AM
this is a pretty lame excuse considering that lately hes been going without the bandaged knees.

malakas
06-06-2009, 09:10 AM
this is a pretty lame excuse considering that lately hes been going without the bandaged knees.

I would LOVE an answer to this too!hmmmmmm

Nadal_Freak
06-06-2009, 09:11 AM
Maybe the bandages didn't help.

malakas
06-06-2009, 09:14 AM
Maybe the bandages didn't help.

lol so they didn't help and they decided to remove them alltogether?!?! LOL

Nadal_Freak
06-06-2009, 09:16 AM
lol so they didn't help and they decided to remove them alltogether?!?! LOL
I've worn them for my knees. From experience, I actually think they can make things worse. All that tension from the stress of the bandage pulling on your knee. I think it's better to go without them.

Sarzy
06-06-2009, 09:18 AM
Uncle Toni is Uncle Phony! I don't think Rafa will miss Wimby either...No chance!

Agreed. I don't think it's as bad as it sounds. Nadal will be back fighting like usual.

R_Federer
06-06-2009, 09:20 AM
I told everyone here the people who used to say he has achieved more than Fed at his age...that it was a dumb argument as Nadal will have a shorter career.

Serendipitous
06-06-2009, 09:21 AM
I wish Nadal didn't play so many tournaments.....he really doesn't have to.......:(

malakas
06-06-2009, 09:23 AM
I've worn them for my knees. From experience, I actually think they can make things worse. All that tension from the stress of the bandage pulling on your knee. I think it's better to go without them.

:lol: it's better to play without taped knees if you have oedema in the knee?lol please don't insult my intelligence.

dh003i
06-06-2009, 09:25 AM
Unfortunately I'm not convinced Novak has it in him this year to contend for the top spot.I was really shocked by his loss to Kohlschreiber after he had such a good start of the clay season,it was a shame but those kind of things happen in sport I guess.

He can somewhat make up for the lost points at the FO by playing well at Wimbledon as he can gain a lot of points there so hope he has a good grass season.Would be good if he won Halle as that would enable him to enter Wimbledon with some confidence and Novak is a player who really depends on his confidence,even more so than other players.

I don't think Djokovic is consistently mentally strong, consistently a fighter, and consistently tough. I also think that while he's talented, he's over-rated in that department. He is at best a workman-like player, not a genius.

rommil
06-06-2009, 09:27 AM
Hahahah there you go Malakas.....from personal experience. How can you argue with that?

Nadal_Freak
06-06-2009, 09:29 AM
My knees were cracking much more when I was wearing it. It just aggravates your knee to have them on all the time. My knees are pretty sensitive I gotta say. Any contact will bother it.

malakas
06-06-2009, 09:31 AM
My knees were cracking much more when I was wearing it. It just aggravates your knee to have them on all the time. My knees are pretty sensitive I gotta say. Any contact will bother it.

do you have chronic knee tendonitis like Nadal does?Do you practice everyday for 4 hours?I'm sorry but YOUR knees no matter how sensitive are,are no comparison to the strain nadal's knees are put under.

Annika
06-06-2009, 09:32 AM
If he has a shorter career it's only because of his style of playing. :cry:

Nadal_Freak
06-06-2009, 09:33 AM
do you have chronic knee tendonitis like Nadal does?Do you practice everyday for 4 hours?I'm sorry but YOUR knees no matter how sensitive are,are no comparison to the strain nadal's knees are put under.
I'm just making a point that the bandages can actually irritate your knee as well. I'm not saying Nadal's knee have the same problem or that is why he stopped bandages. Who knows if the bandages even helped Nadal? He would be wearing it now if he thought it did.

malakas
06-06-2009, 09:35 AM
I'm just making a point that the bandages can actually irritate your knee as well. I'm not saying Nadal's knee have the same problem or that is why he stopped bandages. Who knows if the bandages even helped Nadal. He would be wearing it now if he thought it did.

proffesional sportsmen wear it everywhere.Doctors and psycios advise it.Any book of orthopaedics say it.But thanx for proving them all wrong with your personal experience.

defrule
06-06-2009, 09:37 AM
I find is extremely sad if the defending champion cannot return to defend his title, he is a great competitor at Wimbledon and it would be sad to see him absent.

It would almost be handing Wimbledon to Federer if he doesn't enter.

Nadal_Freak
06-06-2009, 09:41 AM
proffesional sportsmen wear it everywhere.Doctors and psycios advise it.Any book of orthopaedics say it.But thanx for proving them all wrong with your personal experience.
I doubt it works as well as you would like to think it does. Maybe it does work sometimes in certain knee situations but also has its times where it doesn't work.

rommil
06-06-2009, 09:43 AM

Then again we don't know how much stress his knees are enduring supporting NF. Could be more stress than Rafa.

Nadal_Freak
06-06-2009, 09:46 AM
Then again we don't know how much stress his knees are enduring supporting NF. Could be more stress than Rafa.
Are you indicating that I am fat? Not cool. I weigh 192 and am 5'11.

malakas
06-06-2009, 09:48 AM
I doubt it works as well as you would like to think it does. Maybe it does work sometimes in certain knee situations but also has its times where it doesn't work.

It doesn't do miracles if that's what you mean,but if this help?Definitely!

Nadal should take some more time off and rest properly.And I find this tape thing really fishy.

rommil
06-06-2009, 10:12 AM

Useless without proof. Pics please.....

BigServer1
06-06-2009, 10:42 AM
Nadal will play Wimbledon whether it's good for him or not. The guy won't sit out that long, and it probably killed him to pull out of Queens. Like him or not, the guy is all guts when it comes to this stuff, and he can win matches even not at 100%. The issue has been that this heart, fight and overall style of play will indeed end up costing him years off of his career. He turned 23, what, 4 days ago and he's been dealing with this stuff for a while...He missed the '06 AO with a foot injury, injured his knees in 2007, and always deals with mediocre results (by his standards) late in the tennis season because he's simply burned out.

I also think that there is a deception element from Uncle Toni, especially given the recent losses on clay. If you give guys the impression that Nadal is not healthy, it could lead to possible let downs because opponents think that he's injured and therefore extremely beatable. It could work, it could backfire, making players think: "If I can play my best right now, I can beat him because he's injured."

One other quick thing...Has anyone else been rubbed the wrong way by Toni Nadal lately? This whole, "The French crowd is quite stupid", and the injury stuff now and in the past...I also get the feeling that Toni pushes Nadal's schedule on him, especially the events in Spain like Barcelona. Seems to me like Toni and the Nadal camp need to get with it and seriously consider a lighter schedule moving forward, taking out all small events and even considering injury withdrawals from back to back Masters events.

tennisplaya
06-06-2009, 11:05 AM

one of the reports says that the problem he has been having with his knee which he needs to get tests on now is a different knee problem unrelated to his knee tendonitis.Maybe that's why he didn't get it taped.

Morrissey
06-06-2009, 11:13 AM
Nadal will play Wimbledon whether it's good for him or not. The guy won't sit out that long, and it probably killed him to pull out of Queens. Like him or not, the guy is all guts when it comes to this stuff, and he can win matches even not at 100%. The issue has been that this heart, fight and overall style of play will indeed end up costing him years off of his career. He turned 23, what, 4 days ago and he's been dealing with this stuff for a while...He missed the '06 AO with a foot injury, injured his knees in 2007, and always deals with mediocre results (by his standards) late in the tennis season because he's simply burned out.

I also think that there is a deception element from Uncle Toni, especially given the recent losses on clay. If you give guys the impression that Nadal is not healthy, it could lead to possible let downs because opponents think that he's injured and therefore extremely beatable. It could work, it could backfire, making players think: "If I can play my best right now, I can beat him because he's injured."

One other quick thing...Has anyone else been rubbed the wrong way by Toni Nadal lately? This whole, "The French crowd is quite stupid", and the injury stuff now and in the past...I also get the feeling that Toni pushes Nadal's schedule on him, especially the events in Spain like Barcelona. Seems to me like Toni and the Nadal camp need to get with it and seriously consider a lighter schedule moving forward, taking out all small events and even considering injury withdrawals from back to back Masters events.

I have to agree. I think there is a bit of a deception involved but I do believe that he is going through some problems, maybe not as extreme as one might think. I do believe that Toni should learn to say less, but he has an opinion on the French crowd which many of us already shared to begin with. But Nadal more than anything needs some to schedule his tournaments much better. If he's gonna do MC, Barcelona and Rome, well then skip Madrid. Either way, he has to skip Madrid or Barcelona because it's just too much already and you could say that he peaked too early in the clay season this time around. Rotterdam was totally unnecessary as was the exhibitions before RG too. If I were his schedule person for the rest of the year I would make sure he played Wimby, the hardcourt Masters Series before the US Open and then just Paris and London. Forget Shanghai.

Cesc Fabregas
06-06-2009, 11:16 AM
I have to agree. I think there is a bit of a deception involved but I do believe that he is going through some problems, maybe not as extreme as one might think. I do believe that Toni should learn to say less, but he has an opinion on the French crowd which many of us already shared to begin with. But Nadal more than anything needs some to schedule his tournaments much better. If he's gonna do MC, Barcelona and Rome, well then skip Madrid. Either way, he has to skip Madrid or Barcelona because it's just too much already and you could say that he peaked too early in the clay season this time around. Rotterdam was totally unnecessary as was the exhibitions before RG too. If I were his schedule person for the rest of the year I would make sure he played Wimby, the hardcourt Masters Series before the US Open and then just Paris and London. Forget Shanghai.

Agreed but the problem is he has signed up for some rinky dink 250 event in Thailand later on in the year he needs to cut out playing these types of events.

malakas
06-06-2009, 11:16 AM

I agree!It's almsot as his environment and his team is...greedy!They overschedule him,and only when he loses they decide he needs to take some rest!If he was into some much pain,they should do something about this before Roland Garros and not to play like this in the msot important tournament of the year for him!
As Fed said in his interview he knows how to pace himself,and peak in the real important tournaments.Rafa should take some scheduling lessons from him.

malakas
06-06-2009, 11:17 AM
one of the reports says that the problem he has been having with his knee which he needs to get tests on now is a different knee problem unrelated to his knee tendonitis.Maybe that's why he didn't get it taped.

very interesting.Can you post a source on this?So he has another knee problem on top of the tendonitis?:?

JeMar
06-06-2009, 11:31 AM
Uncle Tony is the biggest exaggerator in the history of tennis. I take everything he says with a spoonful of salt.

IvanAndreevich
06-06-2009, 11:32 AM

That's a bit fat unless you have lots of muscles IMO.

Nadal_Freak
06-06-2009, 01:38 PM
That's a bit fat unless you have lots of muscles IMO.
I'm not skinny but not fat either.

thejoe
06-06-2009, 01:39 PM

Same here. Used to be really fat, then got skinny, then middled out to the point where I look normal.

batz
06-06-2009, 01:43 PM

Are you 'big boned' or 'pleasantly plump'? ;)

imalil2gangsta4u
06-06-2009, 02:21 PM
Uncle Tony is the biggest exaggerator in the history of tennis. I take everything he says with a spoonful of salt.

What makes you say that? Not bashing you, just wondering.

JeMar
06-06-2009, 02:24 PM
What makes you say that? Not bashing you, just wondering.

He always speaks in hyperbole when he's asked about Federer or his own player's place in history and his prospects.

seffina
06-06-2009, 03:57 PM
I hope whatever they are doing works and he is back to being his best soon.

hoodjem
06-06-2009, 04:05 PM
In the third set against Soderling he said to his camp "It hurts. I can't...", but they decided not to comment on it afterwards because "you have to be a good loser".
Win or lose, Rafa's a man. Not a whiner.

Morrissey
06-06-2009, 04:38 PM

I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not, but it's true nonetheless. Toni always makes it out to be more than it really is. At least historically speaking.

DNShade
06-06-2009, 04:53 PM
Just FYI - from the horse's mouth - it doesn't look good. Just got it confirmed today. Sucks for tennis.

JeMar
06-06-2009, 04:55 PM
I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not, but it's true nonetheless. Toni always makes it out to be more than it really is. At least historically speaking.

I'm not being sarcastic.

Edit: I thought my thousandth post would be more... dramatic.

malakas
06-06-2009, 05:04 PM
Just FYI - from the horse's mouth - it doesn't look good. Just got it confirmed today. Sucks for tennis.

thanx for the info DNShade!!!
http://www.rmc.fr/edito/sport/80389/nadal-tres-incertain-pour-wimbeldon/

Uncle toni isn't very optimistic either.He will know for sure in monday-tuesday after he takes his tests in Barcelona.

malakas
06-06-2009, 05:04 PM
I'm not being sarcastic.

Edit: I thought my thousandth post would be more... dramatic.

don't remind me..I totally wasted my 6666 post on a comment about Del Potro's services..:cry:

icedevil0289
06-06-2009, 05:05 PM
Win or lose, Rafa's a man. Not a whiner.

No offense, but he kind of is. Well not really a whiner, but he does tend to complain a lot. About the schedule, the amount of hard courts, etc.

DNShade
06-06-2009, 05:20 PM
thanx for the info DNShade!!!
http://www.rmc.fr/edito/sport/80389/nadal-tres-incertain-pour-wimbeldon/

Uncle toni isn't very optimistic either.He will know for sure in monday-tuesday after he takes his tests in Barcelona.

Yeah. As of right now - W is out. I hope that changes. I'm sure everyone want to see him there to defend.

zagor
06-06-2009, 05:24 PM
Yeah. As of right now - W is out. I hope that changes. I'm sure everyone want to see him there to defend.

You serious? That would suck completely.The Wimbledon without Nadal just wouldn't feel right at all even though I'm not his fan.

I still expect him to participate,I mean he's a defending champ,he must.

malakas
06-06-2009, 05:28 PM

That's really bad news.Maybe the tests will have hopefull results and the news in Monday will be good.

I most of the times cheer for Nadal to lose.But getting injured...that's a whole different story!Speedy recovery Rafa!!!

imalil2gangsta4u
06-06-2009, 05:33 PM
I agree. An injury is never the way i want to see someone go.

malakas
06-06-2009, 05:36 PM
yes..also Nadal's parents are supposedly divorcing..all bad together for Rafa. :(

JeMar
06-06-2009, 05:39 PM
yes..also Nadal's parents are supposedly divorcing..all bad together for Rafa. :(

Where do you get this from?

matchmaker
06-06-2009, 05:40 PM

Are you saying this based on inside information? In the official statements they released nothing is said about Wimbledon yet.

I would really hope Nadal let's his body recover from whatever it is he has...

I would actually prefer that to him participating in Wimbledon and worstening it.

malakas
06-06-2009, 05:41 PM
Where do you get this from?

I've read it in mtf,it's from the spanish media.So,no I don't have a definite source.They supposedly been living apart already for a year now,but now that his sister is 18 and off to uni,they decided to finish it.Maybe some spanish fan will give us more insight into this.

Arrows
06-06-2009, 05:41 PM
Is there some English version of the article?
I hope he'll play; otherwise Wimbledon's going to have a big black hole in its draw.

trenzterra
06-06-2009, 05:44 PM
i hope he plays wimbledon, i think if he doesn't take part and roger wins wimbledon and today's french nadal will fall to number 2 or 3 right?

DNShade
06-06-2009, 05:47 PM
Are you saying this based on inside information? In the official statements they released nothing is said about Wimbledon yet.

As inside as you get. Hope it changes.

ChuDat
06-06-2009, 05:50 PM
Maybe he wants to rest his knee up for the USO, which is the only slam he hasn't won.

Madhoshi22
06-06-2009, 05:56 PM
Maybe he wants to rest his knee up for the USO, which is the only slam he hasn't won.

Maybe...though, Wimbledon was a special win for him, he shut up all the haters who said he would never win on grass.
He'd won on the hard courts before, so I think he knows he can win the USO one day

matchmaker
06-06-2009, 05:59 PM
As inside as you get. Hope it changes.

I don't think it will change then, injuries don't miraculously disappear, they need a some time to heal.

I don't think it's in anyone's interest to see a hurt and subpar Nadal at Wimbledon.

And on grass, you have to bend your knees even more than on other surfaces...

zagor
06-06-2009, 06:02 PM

I would really hope Nadal let's his body recover from whatever it is he has...

I would actually prefer that to him participating in Wimbledon and worstening it.

Nadal has been a big part of Wimbledon ever since 2006,it loses a lot of its appeal if Nadal doesn't participate,especially now that he's a defending champion but you're right that health comes first.

Nadal fan or not,it's bad for tennis if he doesn't play at Wimbledon.I mean how many people watched last 2 Wimbledon finals? How many new tennis fans it attracted? Many consider the final last year to have been the best match in the history of tennis.

Spider
06-06-2009, 06:24 PM
I am still optimistic that he'll show up and hopefully fully fit.

I just watched the 07 and 08 final this week and man what classic matches they were. If those matches don't pull in more fans, I dont know what will. Lets hope he recovers. :(

TennisInPleasanton
06-06-2009, 06:27 PM
Uncle Toni is just tempering expectations as usual...

Kostas
06-06-2009, 06:27 PM
I wonder why they announce that he *might* not play Wimby the day before Roger finishes the French?

Couldn't they wait until next week sometime?

Seems like inappropriate timing to me.

icedevil0289
06-06-2009, 06:30 PM
That's really bad news.Maybe the tests will have hopefull results and the news in Monday will be good.

I most of the times cheer for Nadal to lose.But getting injured...that's a whole different story!Speedy recovery Rafa!!!

Exactly. I want roger to get his revenge for last year. How is he supposed to do that if rafa does not play?

matchmaker
06-06-2009, 07:13 PM
Exactly. I want roger to get his revenge for last year. How is he supposed to do that if rafa does not play?

There wouldn't be any revenge in playing against a wounded animal. He'd go out way before the final.

icedevil0289
06-06-2009, 07:15 PM
There wouldn't be any revenge in playing against a wounded animal. He'd go out way before the final.

Good point. I still don't think it's as serious as Toni made it out to be, or atleast I hope not.

matchmaker
06-06-2009, 07:16 PM
Nadal has been a big part of Wimbledon ever since 2006,it loses a lot of its appeal if Nadal doesn't participate,especially now that he's a defending champion but you're right that health comes first.

Nadal fan or not,it's bad for tennis if he doesn't play at Wimbledon.I mean how many people watched last 2 Wimbledon finals? How many new tennis fans it attracted? Many consider the final last year to have been the best match in the history of tennis.

It would temporarily be a bad thing for tennis, but if he recovers and comes back stronger, that will have a big impact too.

I fully agree with you though, that Nadal has made the game what it is over the past 2 years. How boring would it have been if Federer won all the Slams without any opposition worthy of that name.

All this time there has been only one man (and a quarter of a man in Djokovic) to stand up and show he is a real fighter with nerves of steel.

I will always think very highly of Nadal, just like I have always had a tremendous appreciation of Guga, who unfortunately saw his carreer cut short by a hip injury.

Nadal_Freak
06-06-2009, 07:21 PM
I wonder why they announce that he *might* not play Wimby the day before Roger finishes the French?

The whole world doesn't revolve Fed's final. Nadal could care less what happens. His main concern is his knee.

matchmaker
06-06-2009, 07:23 PM
Good point. I still don't think it's as serious as Toni made it out to be, or atleast I hope not.

Hmmm, this time I think it could be really bad.

I have watched many Nadal matches and frankly, from the beginning of the clay court season he was clearly not playing as well as you would have expected him to play.

Many people, including myself, have been saying something was wrong with him. He was not moving sufficiently well for his standards.

The Nadal we saw this clay court season was good but not exceptional, only in some matches you could catch a glimpse of his RG2008 mode.

NamRanger
06-06-2009, 07:25 PM
Hmmm, this time I think it could be really bad.

I have watched many Nadal matches and frankly, from the beginning of the clay court season he was clearly not playing as well as you would have expected him to play.

Many people, including myself, have been saying something was wrong with him. He was not moving sufficiently well for his standards.

The Nadal we saw this clay court season was good but not exceptional, only in some matches you could catch a glimpse of his RG2008 mode.

Actually I thought it started during the slow HC season with Indian Wells. Despite the fact that Nadal won that tournament, he was really flakey that whole tournament, and had trouble with alot of players that he shouldn't have. Maybe the injury in Rotterdam did more damage than we thought it did.

oy vey
06-06-2009, 07:26 PM
I'm sorry to say it, but this is why he wont get close to federer in terms of number of grand slams.

He'll win a USO and YEC and he has the Olympic single's GOLD.:)

Yan Man
06-06-2009, 07:29 PM
As bad as his knee condition might be, I think if Nadal gives it 2 weeks rest before Wimby there is a chance he'll be able to play. It's grass after all; the surface that's supposed to be the easiest on your joints.

lawrence
06-06-2009, 10:21 PM

yeah not at all motivated to break the record for number of slams held right? haha

LurkingGod
06-06-2009, 10:35 PM

OMG who CARES??

Nadal fans DID NOT become his fan because we saw him as the GOAT in the making. We love him because of the type of the player and the guy he is. I don't give a rat as$ how many slam he's gonna get. How many time do I have to say this? Fed could have 20 more GSs than Nadal and it wouldn't make me like Nadal less, or like Fed more. We only hope to see Nadal play for many years because for us Nadal is THE life of tennis.

If I'd wanted to cheer for the guy who won the most slams I'd have cheered for Fed a long time ago.

LurkingGod
06-06-2009, 10:46 PM

He's withdrawn from Queens because of that knee injury so the talk of skipping Wimbledon just came along with it. What's inappropriate about that? Should Nadal's team take whatever Fed's doing into consideration everytime they plan to do something?:(

TheTruth
06-06-2009, 11:05 PM
he plays so many tournaments with that style of play. I get bad knees if I do too much cardio (I'm a muscular guy. To the guy who said that rafa is musclar; he's not, he's skinny like all the other ATP players).
Seriously I thought that Rafa would start having serious injury problems a lot earlier than this. I guess he did have to skip masters cup. I don't see Rafa staying as an elite player for more than 2 more years.

I've never understood why people keep reiterating this either. Rafa has one decent sized bicep. Other than that, he's pretty thin. But, the commentators and the press keep trying to get that across to the masses. I don't get it.

TheTruth
06-06-2009, 11:10 PM
Can I ask something???

That's a very good point!

Cesc Fabregas
06-06-2009, 11:19 PM

Probably because he felt the bandages were irritating his knees.

Radical Shot
06-06-2009, 11:20 PM
Regarding Rafa....

But this explains the ... horrible serves as of late (he hit a serve against Djoker...that didn't even get dumped into the net...it landed a few feet in front of the net)

Glad to know that I'm not the only one doing this ;-)

TheTruth
06-06-2009, 11:23 PM
double post, and all just to add ly. sorry.

TheTruth
06-06-2009, 11:24 PM
No offense, but he kind of is. Well not really a whiner, but he does tend to complain a lot. About the schedule, the amount of hard courts, etc.

Ah, but he should. Most of the changes they make negatively affect him. For instance, that "new" clay. Did anyone else notice it doesn't even clump up on their socks anymore? I was amazed watching a few minutes of this RG. Their socks are absolutely white. It was very weird to see.

LurkingGod
06-06-2009, 11:24 PM
The bandage was just a short-term solution and it could cause some permanent damage to his knees.

TheTruth
06-06-2009, 11:36 PM
OMG who CARES??

Nadal fans DID NOT become his fan because we saw his as the GOAT in the making. We love him because of the type of the player and the guy he is. I don't give a rat as$ how many slam he's gonna get. How many time do I have to say this? Fed could have 20 more GSs than Nadal and it wouldn't make me like Nadal less, or like Fed more. We only hope to see Nadal play for many years because for us Nadal is THE life of tennis.

If I'd wanted to cheer for the guy who won the most slams I'd have cheered for Fed a long time ago.

I was thinking the same thing.

I've never been a fan of Nadal's because of grand slams, rankings, or trophies. I'm a fan of Nadal's because for me he ushered in the spirit of competition. When the entire rest of the tour was taking a nosedive, here came a kid from Mallorca who refused to bow down. And for five years he singlehandedly fought off Roger, all by himself. So, it's not the accolades. It's the man himself.

True statement.

TheTruth
06-06-2009, 11:38 PM
Probably because he felt the bandages were irritating his knees.

Possibly. I just want to see him healthy and well rested. Whatever he and his team decides is fine by me.

LurkingGod
06-07-2009, 12:24 AM
I was thinking the same thing.

I've never been a fan of Nadal's because of grand slams, rankings, or trophies. I'm a fan of Nadal's because for me he ushered in the spirit of competition. When the entire rest of the tour was taking a nosedive, here came a kid from Mallorca who refused to bow down. And for five years he singlehandedly fought off Roger, all by himself. So, it's not the accolades. It's the man himself.

True statement.
That's so true. When all the tennis world bowed down to Federer and felt ecstatic to witness the sport that was slowly becoming a stage for one man show as if winning was this birthright, this brave boy refused to succumb and fought hard for his own place in history. Because of that he's become the antagonist in the eyes of media and general tennis fans. If there's any justice in the world there will be a day when the world will remember Nadal for his own greatness and not just "that guy who came between Federer and the Grand Slam".

I'm sick of people saying "but Nadal won't be as great as Federer because he'll never win as many slams and never dominate the tour as long"..blah blah blah.. WRONG. Nadal is already greater than Federer in my eyes. He's a better fighter, a better player and a better human being. Federer could win every slam in the next 5 years and Nadal could stop playing tomorrow and it wouldn't change a thing.

I'll take Nadal with his bum knees, butt picking, OCDs, flawed english, injury prone career over Fed the GOAT any days.

DarthMaul
06-07-2009, 12:29 AM
Got this from mtf: Someone there translated parts of it

Source: http://www.elpais.com/articulo/deportes/Nadal/aguanta/dolor/elpepudep/20090606elpepidep_7/Tes

Some extracts. Uncle Toni: "Let's see if we make it to Wimbledon. It's not clear. But even if he has to go with a shock treatment, if he's reasonably well, he'll go. Right now, however, we can't tell".

The article goes on saying he has been having pain in his knee, the problem wasn't deemed to be serious, only a matter of pain, but it's been getting worse and worse. In the end he didn't bend his knees like he usually does and that was affecting his shots. In the third set against Soderling he said to his camp "It hurts. I can't...", but they decided not to comment on it afterwards because "you have to be a good loser".

I hope that's not the case. Poor rafa::(:(

I hope Rafa will recover. Sad to hear bad news about his health. I hope it's not serious.

zagor
06-07-2009, 12:40 AM
That's so true. When all the tennis world bowed down to Federer and felt ecstatic to witness the sport that was slowly becoming a stage for one man show as if winning was this birthright, this brave boy refused to succumb and fought hard for his own place in history. Because of that he's become the antagonist in the eyes of media and general tennis fans. If there's any justice in the world there will be a day when the world will remember Nadal for his own greatness and not just "that guy who came between Federer and the Grand Slam".

I'm sick of people saying "but Nadal won't be as great as Federer because he'll never win as many slams and never dominate the tour as long"..blah blah blah.. WRONG. Nadal is already greater than Federer in my eyes. He's a better fighter, a better player and a better human being. Federer could win every slam in the next 5 years and Nadal could stop playing tomorrow and it wouldn't change a thing.

I'll take Nadal with his bum knees, butt picking, OCDs, flawed english, injury prone career over Fed the GOAT any days.

Well I wouldn't go as far as to say Nadal's some kind of antagonist,a lot of tennis fans all over the world love the guy and comentators and former pros at the very least respect him.I know Mcenroe likes the guy very much and hit with him before Wimbledon last year so I don't see where you get that somehow tennis world views him as some antagonist or something.

As for who's better,well you're entitled to your opinion but for me I don't really care who's better between the two and I wouldn't compare their achievements until they're both retired anyway.

Whether Nadal wins more slams than Fed or whatever doesn't change the fact that I like and enjoy Fed's tennis way more so who's better is irrelevant in that regard for me,doesn't change anything.

Some of us didn't become Fed fans when he started winning everything in sight.I was actually a fan of him since he won his first title in Milan(beating Goran on the way),I thought he was talented at the time and thought that he would bag a slam or two but never dominate.What made me a fan was his creative and smooth all-court tennis,I could care less whether he's the GOAT and similar(I don't really think there is a GOAT anyway).

TheTruth
06-07-2009, 12:47 AM

I am so with you. And I love what you said about the media and them making him an antagonist. I agree wholeheartedly with your statements, because for me it's true as well. I see him as greater than all that came before him, because he did what he did with the entire world fighting against him. And at his age that is nothing short of phenomenal.

joeri888
06-07-2009, 12:48 AM
So basically you are entitled to think that Nadal is better while Federer won 13, Slams. You are entitled to judge both Rafa and Roger as a person. You are entitled to think he's better fighter, while Roger showed he can fight like hell this week, he also showed that in Wimby's final last year from 2-0 down and in2007 after losing the fourth set 6-2 and being down 15-40. You can all think this I agree with Zagor on that one.

But don't come with it being 'blah blah' and that it's making you sick that people say Federer is the greater player. Forgive people for actually giving a crap about how many Slams a player won. I don't care what you think about Federer, you can think whatever you want, but if you are so sick of people saying that Federer is greater, why bother making others sick of your opinion that Nadal is a better HUMAN BEING, like we are the ones to judge.

Rhino
06-07-2009, 01:20 AM

I am so with you. And I love what you said about the media and them making him an antagonist. I agree wholeheartedly with your statements, because for me it's true as well. I see him as greater than all that came before him, because he did what he did with the entire world fighting against him. And at his age that is nothing short of phenomenal.

You guys sound like you're talking about Robin "brave boy" Soderling coming between Rafael "one man show as if winning was this birthright" Nadal at Roland Garros..
If there's any justice in the world there will be a day when the world will remember Soderling for his own greatness and not just "that guy who came between Nadal and his 5th RG".

But unfortunately for him he may be able to easily eliminate Nadal, but now he has to face the master.

LurkingGod
06-07-2009, 01:21 AM
Well I wouldn't go as far as to say Nadal's some kind of antagonist,a lot of tennis fans all over the world love the guy and comentators and former pros at the very least respect him.I know Mcenroe likes the guy very much and hit with him before Wimbledon last year so I don't see where you get that somehow tennis world views him as some antagonist or something.
With all the 1,999 articles about 'what Fed had to do to beat Nadal' in the past few years. I have no reason to think otherwise. You wouldn't spend your time thinking about what A have to do to beat B if you didn't want to see player A success in doing that.

And you only had to watch the live matches between Fed and Nadal to know whom most of the commentators were rooting for. If that wasn't enough, AO award ceremony should make it clear who's 'everyone' favourite.

Do I have to mention the French crowd? Do I have to mention how people at RG had a big celebration after Nadal was out?

When Nadal made his Queens withdrawal announcement he said that he hoped if he came back to play Queens next year the public would still want to see him. What a bitter statement from a wounded man who'd lost the faith in public support.

Please don't ask for more example from me. It hurt me just to type all these. If you don't know where I'm coming from after all these years maybe you'll never know.

As for who's better,well you're entitled to your opinion but for me I don't really care who's better between the two and I wouldn't compare their achievements until they're both retired anyway.

Whether Nadal wins more slams than Fed or whatever doesn't change the fact that I like and enjoy Fed's tennis way more so who's better is irrelevant in that regard for me,doesn't change anything.

Some of us didn't become Fed fans when he started winning everything in sight.I was actually a fan of him since he won his first title in Milan(beating Goran on the way),I thought he was talented at the time and thought that he would bag a slam or two but never dominate.What made me a fan was his creative and smooth all-court tennis,I could care less whether he's the GOAT and similar(I don't really think there is a GOAT anyway).
You're right, if you cheer for a player because you love watching him play it doesn't matter how many titles he's going to win. I just hope more people would understand that and stop bringing up the numbers and statistics as if they're the only things that count. I hate when people make it as if only the best player in the world is worth cheering for. How shallow we sportfans would be if everyone just support the top guy?

I don't think all Federer fans love him because of his titles. I just think he has so many bandwagoners and it's those people who keep gloating about his records and titles whenever Nadal won or achieved something thinking we support out fav for the same reason.

Having said that I always think Federer has achieved more than Nadal careerwise and I don't even have to wait until they both retired to see that Federer will be regarded in a higher place than Nadal in history book. Nadal just wasn't made to dominate the tour and we could lose him at any given time. I cheer for him keeping that in mind.

LurkingGod
06-07-2009, 02:05 AM
So basically you are entitled to think that Nadal is better while Federer won 13, Slams. You are entitled to judge both Rafa and Roger as a person. You are entitled to think he's better fighter, while Roger showed he can fight like hell this week, he also showed that in Wimby's final last year from 2-0 down and in2007 after losing the fourth set 6-2 and being down 15-40. You can all think this I agree with Zagor on that one.

But don't come with it being 'blah blah' and that it's making you sick that people say Federer is the greater player. Forgive people for actually giving a crap about how many Slams a player won. I don't care what you think about Federer, you can think whatever you want, but if you are so sick of people saying that Federer is greater, why bother making others sick of your opinion that Nadal is a better HUMAN BEING, like we are the ones to judge.

You don't get it, do you?

If I like blue colour and you prefer red, what the point of you bringing up how red is the most dominant colour, has more effect on people emotionally and is used in the most important signs and symbols around the world? You could bring up all the reasons why red is a better colour and they can be all valid reasons they won't change a fact that I think blue is a better colour simply because I have my own reasons to like blue.

And if I like blue colour and happy that my bed sheet is blue, I have a good reason to feel annoyed when the red supporters keep pointing out how blue is only good for a bed sheet while red is so good they use it on the national flag.

Players are like colours, people like them for different reasons. Forgive me for not giving a crap about how red is the symbol of victory or how many slams players won.

We're the one to judge what we like and what we don't. What matters to you might not mean a damn thing to me. This thread is about Nadal injury so what's the point bringing up that "so Nadal won't win as many slam as Fed after all" as if we Nadal fans expect him to. I'll say it again, I don't cheer for Nadal because I think he could challenge Fed as the best in history so Fed archievement has nothing to with Nadal.

Fed won more slams but Nadal is a better player to watch. I'm entitled to rank players I like to watch the way I like it. My 'ranking' have nothing to do with the record book or tennis history. What's so hard to understand?

Rhino
06-07-2009, 02:15 AM
OK you two, LurkingGod and joeri888, you are arguing about different things.

Lurk, you are just saying that you personally prefer to watch Nadal, a fact that nobody can debate because your taste is your personal affair. I personally like to watch Simona Halep.

joeri888, you are saying that Federer is the overall better player because of his achievements. Well, again, this can't be debated either because (after todays final) 14 slams + career Grand Slam is the most anybody has ever achieved in the sport of tennis, so it's indefensible.

You are both right.

LurkingGod
06-07-2009, 02:30 AM
OK you two, LurkingGod and joeri888, you are arguing about different things.

Lurk, you are just saying that you personally prefer to watch Nadal, a fact that nobody can debate because your taste is your personal affair. I personally like to watch Simona Halep.

joeri888, you are saying that Federer is the overall better player because of his achievements. Well, again, this can't be debated either because (after todays final) 14 slams + career Grand Slam is the most anybody has ever achieved in the sport of tennis, so it's indefensible.

You are both right.

Yep that's why I thought he/she didn't get it.

The thread is about Nadal's injury. We're worrying about his career and out of the blue there's a comment saying "I'm sorry to say it, but this is why he wont get close to federer in terms of number of grand slams." which rubbed me in the wrong way because it's the last thing we Nadal fans are worried about right now. It's an insult to bring up the record as if we're some shallow fans who're cheering for number. I merely try to make it clear that I'm not supporting a player just because he has the most wins.

latinking
06-07-2009, 03:31 AM
This is terrible!!! I really hope its not that bad!!

I have a feeling it will all be ok!!!!

icedevil0289
06-07-2009, 03:41 AM
Ah, but he should. Most of the changes they make negatively affect him. For instance, that "new" clay. Did anyone else notice it doesn't even clump up on their socks anymore? I was amazed watching a few minutes of this RG. Their socks are absolutely white. It was very weird to see.

He seems to be the only one who complains quite a bit. He's not the only player on tour and the changes they make should not only cater to him, but I get what you're saying.

jamesblakefan#1
06-07-2009, 06:33 AM
Don't know if this was mentioned or not, but apparently this knee injury is different from the knee tendinitis that's plagued him the last few yrs. He says he feels serious pain in his right knee, according to the telecast. Going to see a specialist tomorrow. Get well Rafa!

NamRanger
06-07-2009, 08:08 AM

They changed the balls, not the clay. The clay is still the same; what they changed was the size of the ball and how hard it is, thus making it travel faster.

120mphBodyServe
06-07-2009, 08:26 AM
Nadal has just pulled out of Wimbledon..........

malakas
06-07-2009, 08:28 AM

what?!?!?!??? I hope you're joking.in which case not a good joke.

jamesblakefan#1
06-07-2009, 08:28 AM
^^^link???

MichaelNadal
06-07-2009, 08:31 AM
Better not be true.

rafan
06-07-2009, 08:31 AM

Where are you getting this from -

batz
06-07-2009, 08:33 AM
Where are you getting this from -

I think it's an attempt at 'edgy' humour - Rafa withdrawing after seeing how Roger played at RG?

Just to be clear, I'm not saying he's funny.

malakas
06-07-2009, 08:33 AM
I think it's probably a joke,because of Fed's win.I haven't found anything anywhere so far.

120mphBodyServe
06-07-2009, 08:37 AM
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25599894-5018902,00.html
:-P

malakas
06-07-2009, 08:38 AM
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25599894-5018902,00.html
:-P

this is the same story from 2 days ago.Only rumours nothing official.

120mphBodyServe
06-07-2009, 08:41 AM
Hence the :-P...
IT WAS A JOKE............
LOL.....

fps
06-07-2009, 08:43 AM
Wimbledon needs Rafa, the last two finals have been sensational.

slightly unrelated, but will this be the year djokovic steps up to the plate and fulfills his undoubted grass court potential? such a short season, such a shame his last two campaigns have been curtailed. (well, i enjoyed the safin run, that was amazing, but still....)

rafan
06-07-2009, 08:44 AM
You know I think there was something missing today. I like the Rog/Raf encounters. There is a kind of splendour about the tournament. Even when Nadal used to lose to him at wimbledon there was a sense of occasion that was really missing today. I hope we see many more of their matches because I never got bored with them

icedevil0289
06-08-2009, 11:03 AM
Here's what Dr. Roger Federer said on the matter :

"It seems like it's not 100 percent serious, his knee injury. I only wish him the best and I hope it's not true that he will miss Wimbledon. I think it's a lot of speculation at the moment," Federer said. "He wasn't taping his knees here in Paris. He seemed fine, [from] what I saw, anyway. I've played him so many times, I can tell when he's in pain and when he's not."

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=4240353

mandy01
06-08-2009, 11:10 AM

"It seems like it's not 100 percent serious, his knee injury. I only wish him the best and I hope it's not true that he will miss Wimbledon. I think it's a lot of speculation at the moment," Federer said. "He wasn't taping his knees here in Paris. He seemed fine, [from] what I saw, anyway. I've played him so many times, I can tell when he's in pain and when he's not."

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=4240353 There was a thread on this and people AGAIN
took it the wrong way so you better be careful or there'll be a flamewar before we know.

malakas
06-08-2009, 11:11 AM
so nothing new about this?By tomorrow we should know.I bet he will be fine.

icedevil0289
06-08-2009, 11:11 AM
There was a thread on this and people AGAIN
took it the wrong way so you better be careful or there'll be a flamewar before we know.

There was? I didn't see it. I just saw this on mtf.
Anways, I'm loving Dr. Fed.

malakas
06-08-2009, 11:14 AM

he just said his opinion that isn't different than many posters here.What's wrong with that?:confused: Or isn't he entitled to an opinion??

ghostbear
06-08-2009, 11:14 AM
"I've played him so many times, I can tell when he's in pain and when he's not."

He's way out of his line here. If Nadal says he felt a pain in his knee, but Fed says Nadal's not in pain, he's basically accusing Nadal of lying. But then again, who can argue against Federer the know-it-all? If he says so, it must be true, no? :confused:

mandy01
06-08-2009, 11:16 AM
"I've played him so many times, I can tell when he's in pain and when he's not."

He's way out of his line here. If Nadal says he felt a pain in his knee, but Fed says Nadal's not in pain, he's basically accusing Nadal of lying. But then again, who can argue against Federer the know-it-all? If he says so, it must be true, no? :confused:
He was talking about Paris where Nadal clearly did not appear to be in pain,did not tape his knees and took no MTOs

malakas

he said HIS opinion.He didn't say that Nadal was lying.
But say what you want,I hope that accusing Federer makes you now feel better,about seeing Nadal lose all these matches lately.:cry:

drakulie
well, whatever the news is, lets hope it doesn't involve surgery, and could be resolved with rest. It would royally suck to not have him play Wimbledon this year.

malakas
06-08-2009, 11:18 AM
well, whatever the news is, lets hope it doesn't involve surgery, and could be resolved with rest. It would royally suck to not have him play Wimbledon this year.

Indeed.Imagine if Federer DARES to win Wimbledon without having to play Nadal in the final.We will never hear the end of it.:roll:

icedevil0289
06-08-2009, 11:20 AM
he just said his opinion that isn't different than many posters here.What's wrong with that?:confused: Or isn't he entitled to an opinion??

Nothing at all. I don't have a problem with what federer said. Perhaps I shouldn't have posted it all.

kraggy
06-08-2009, 11:22 AM

This is why I think you are one of the few objective Fed fans around :-). While there is no maliciousness in Feds statements , there is a healthy dose of skepticism and I hope you can also see that.

There was another thread about this and I commented on how it was not Feds place to give his doctors diagnosis. But the other Fed fans jumped on me saying that it is in his right to say whatever he wants!

mandy01
06-08-2009, 11:26 AM
This is why I think you are one of the few objective Fed fans around :-). While there is no maliciousness in Feds statements , there is a healthy dose of skepticism and I hope you can also see that.

There was another thread about this and I commented on how it was not Feds place to give his doctors diagnosis. But the other Fed fans jumped on me saying that it is in his right to say whatever he wants! thats not what I said atleast..he was speaking specifically about Paris and was misinterpreted because because of the lack of availability of the article in its entire context.

icedevil0289
06-08-2009, 11:26 AM

There was another thread about this and I commented on how it was not Feds place to give his diagnosis. But the other Fed fans jumped on me saying that it is in his right to say whatever he wants!

I agree with you that it isn't fed's place to give diagnosis, but he is entitled to his opinion and he merely just stated it. I don't think he accused nadal of lying and he did mention how he hoped Nadal would be there at wimbledon, so it was not all bad.

I don't know, fed is fed. He cracks me up sometimes with what he says. I just saw his comments and immediate thought of him working in the ER. If he was my doctor, I would be faking injuries left and right.

kraggy
06-08-2009, 11:41 AM
thats not what I said atleast..he was speaking specifically about Paris and was misinterpreted because because of the lack of availability of the article in its entire context.

I really can't find much more context to the article. This is all I could find

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/31167787/#storyContinued

and so the paragraph that we are scrutinizing is the only one relevant.

I just think personally I have had times when I have said " I'm not feeling well " and people have said to me " No , you're fine , you're just overreacting" and in my mind I would be thinking " What the hell do you know " EVEN though these people meant no harm.

Assuming Fed is aware of the speculation , which he clearly is since he mentioned it, he should know that Nadal talked about his knees and everything. So it would have been much more tactful of Fed if had just stopped at " Its all speculation, I wish him all the best ". Instead though he had to say imply that Nadal was clearly fine during the FO because otherwise Fed would have known.

P.S - Ice, I have tried as hard as I can to like the guy, but every time I come closer to liking him he says something like this ( in that same article about Wimby 09)

The 27-year-old Swiss star considers himself the man to beat this time.

“I do think I’m the favorite, actually, with all the success I’ve had,” Federer said

malakas
06-08-2009, 11:43 AM

I just think personally I have had times when I have said " I'm not feeling well " and people have said to me " No , you're fine , you're just overreacting" and in my mind I would be thinking " What the hell do you know " EVEN though these people meant no harm.

Assuming Fed is aware of the speculation , which he clearly is since he mentioned it, he should know that Nadal talked about his knees and everything. So it would have been much more tactful of Fed had just stopped at " Its all speculation, I wish him all the best ". Instead though he had to say imply that Nadal was clearly fine during the FO because otherwise Fed would have known.

He said what he thought was the truth,and I agree with him to be honest.Though I will wait for the results tomorrow.I believe he knows Nadal much better than anyone here so I trust his opinion a little bit more.

kraggy
06-08-2009, 11:46 AM
I believe he knows Nadal much better than anyone here so I trust his opinion a little bit more.

Of course he knows Nadal better than me and you. But does he know Nadal better than Nadal and Uncle Toni themselves?

mandy01
06-08-2009, 11:49 AM

Assuming Fed is aware of the speculation , which he clearly is since he mentioned it, he should know that Nadal talked about his knees and everything. So it would have been much more tactful of Fed if had just stopped at " Its all speculation, I wish him all the best ". Instead though he had to say imply that Nadal was clearly fine during the FO because otherwise Fed would have known.

P.S - Ice, I have tried as hard as I can to like the guy, but every time I come closer to liking him he says something like this ( in that same article about Wimby 09)

“I do think I’m the favorite, actually, with all the success I’ve had,” Federer said Whats wrong with the bolded part? He has the results to back him up and winning it 5 times puts him in the position.
As to the rest of your post-Nadal did not say he had trouble in Paris.Roger spoke about Paris not anywhere else.He did not accuse Nadal of lying or something.He even said that these injuries are bound to happen because Rafa has played so many matches over the last years and he wished him the best.I dont get you guys.

icedevil0289
06-08-2009, 11:53 AM

I do think Im the favorite, actually, with all the success Ive had, Federer said

Nah, I don't really care if you like him or dislike him. No need to try to like the guy. I just want to let you know there is more to the man than what he says in his interviews. Loads of people say he is a pretty nice person, including the other players. I'm sure they know him better than we do.

sureshs
06-08-2009, 11:53 AM

At least Nadal was polite and did not call out Fed's mono or back pain as fakes.

malakas
06-08-2009, 11:55 AM
Of course he knows Nadal better than me and you. But does he know Nadal better than Nadal and Uncle Toni themselves?

I don't trust anything that Uncle Toni says,because he exaggerates all the time.And I haven't heard Nadal say himself that he's very injured in the knee and in doubt for Wimbledon.Has he said it?:confused:

veroniquem
06-08-2009, 11:57 AM
I'm sure you're right. Rafa will always have to pace himself and it will be more and more difficult for him to stay at the top while being nagged by recurrent knee problems. I hope he will be OK for Wimbledon or his ranking is gonna drop dramatically. :(

mandy01
06-08-2009, 11:57 AM
At least Nadal was polite and did not call out Fed's mono or back pain as fakes.stop it..Fed hasnt done anything of that sort eiither.He was speaking of Paris only and Nadal hasnt blamed his loss on the knees.From what I've heard his knees really bothered him the previous week,when he tried to train,after his loss.

icedevil0289
06-08-2009, 11:58 AM
I'm sure you're right. Rafa will always have to pace himself and it will be more and more difficult for him to stay at the top while being nagged by recurrent knee problems. I hope he will be OK for Wimbledon or his ranking is gonna drop dramatically. :(

http://imgsrv2.tennisuniverse.com/mtf/images/smilies/hug.gif Health is much more important than rankings imo.

Although I sure has hell hope Nadal is healthy, plays wimbledon, and he and fed both make it to the wimbly finals so my man can finally get some revenge on yours. Hehe

veroniquem
06-08-2009, 11:59 AM
I don't trust anything that Uncle Toni says,because he exaggerates all the time.And I haven't heard Nadal say himself that he's very injured in the knee and in doubt for Wimbledon.Has he said it?:confused:
Not only has he said it but he's currently undergoing medical tests in Barcelona. He should know around tomorrow if he can play Wimbledon or not.

kraggy
06-08-2009, 11:59 AM
Whats wrong with the bolded part? He has the results to back him up and winning it 5 times puts him in the position.

Oh , this was not directed at all Fed fans. I was telling Ice in another thread how I just cant become a fan of Fed because humility is very important to me.

As to the rest of your post-Nadal did not say he had trouble in Paris.Roger spoke about Paris not anywhere else.He did not accuse Nadal of lying or something.He even said that these injuries are bound to happen because Rafa has played so many matches over the last years and he wished him the best.I dont get you guys.

I have been having some problems in the past months with my knees that have not allowed me to always compete at 100%, said Nadal. So Nadal has personally said that he has been feeling his knees. I'm sure top athletes are very good at hiding pain. Roger was fine when he was talking about Paris. I only had a problem with his claim that he can tell when Nadal is in pain or not.

If you can find an article where Nadal states that he was in absolutely NO PAIN during the FO, then I will retract my statement.

malakas
06-08-2009, 12:01 PM
Not only has he said it but he's currently undergoing medical tests in Barcelona. He should know around tomorrow if he can play Wimbledon or not.

Link?I only heard uncle Toni,which is a proof to me that he IS going to participate if nothing else.I know about the tests.Probably tomorrow or on Wednesday we will know.

mandy01
06-08-2009, 12:02 PM
He'll be fine..He's been on top for so long and I'm sure he knows how to regain his fitness levels
As for slams-Nothing is for granted.Lets wait and see till his career is over.

veroniquem
06-08-2009, 12:04 PM
http://imgsrv2.tennisuniverse.com/mtf/images/smilies/hug.gif Health is much more important than rankings imo.

Although I sure has hell hope Nadal is healthy, plays wimbledon, and he and fed both make it to the wimbly finals so my man can finally get some revenge on yours. Hehe
Right now, I would be deliriously happy if Rafa managed to make the final but it's hard to believe he will. How quickly things change in tennis! 1 month ago it felt like he was almost unbeatable, now I'm concerned about him getting past the first rounds if playing at all!

mandy01
06-08-2009, 12:06 PM
Oh , this was not directed at all Fed fans. I was telling Ice in another thread how I just cant become a fan of Fed because humility is very important to me.

“I have been having some problems in the past months with my knees that have not allowed me to always compete at 100%,” said Nadal. So Nadal has personally said that he has been feeling his knees. I'm sure top athletes are very good at hiding pain. Roger was fine when he was talking about Paris. I only had a problem with his claim that he can tell when Nadal is in pain or not.

If you can find an article where Nadal states that he was in absolutely NO PAIN during the FO, then I will retract my statement.Sure..If you find me an article where he states he had problems with his knees during the Soderling match-He did not tape his knees,he took no medical time-outs.
To your first paragraph-You missed the part where Roger said he's played Rafa 20 times.When you're in pain it becomes obvious.Especially to your fellow players who are either playing you or watching you.
I'm not so sure Nadal is good at hiding pain considering that he's taken plenty of medical time-outs in his career, and tapes his knees whenever he feels at risk ( nothing wrong with doing either..just saying)

egn
06-08-2009, 12:06 PM
Right now, I would be deliriously happy if Rafa managed to make the final but it's hard to believe he will. How quickly things change in tennis! 1 month ago it felt like he was almost unbeatable, now I'm concerned about him getting past the first rounds if playing at all!

Nadal will bounce back like he always does. Look at the AO this year everyone was nervous. He was sidelined the end of last season got shaken up by Monfils and everyone was uncertain of his knee being ready and than he went on a huge run at the AO and played two fantastic 5 set thrillers to win the title. I think Nadal will do just fine and I see him making the semis with ease. If he loses there I don't think it will be knee I think he has to worry about who is on the other side of the net, Murray, Djoker, Tsonga and Roddick are all hungry for some slam final action.

icedevil0289
06-08-2009, 12:08 PM

I say this in the nicest way possible, but he is kind of a dummy when it comes to his schedule.

malakas
06-08-2009, 12:10 PM
I suppose Nadal fans,think that Nadal and his team is so idiot that he doesn't tape his knees while he's in much pain in paris.

Well..I think more high of him.:rolleyes:

mandy01
06-08-2009, 12:13 PM
I say this in the nicest way possible, but he is kind of a dummy when it comes to his schedule.
I doubt it..he's not stupid..I'm sure he knows what he's doing.To me Nadal is too much of a confidence player.The more matches he wins the stronger he gets.Sure he could scrap out say-Rotterdam but on the whole his scheduling isnt too bad if you think of it.
However I do think he demands too much out of himself.More than his body can take.He pushes himself too hard .

All-rounder
06-08-2009, 12:14 PM
If nadal wants to chase history like federer then ranking should not be his main priority it should be his health and at the moment him being number one for almost a year is taking its toll on him and on top of that he is starting to get injuries during the important tournaments which is why he needs to re-schedule and make sure that these mishaps don't occur frequently

icedevil0289
06-08-2009, 12:15 PM
I doubt it..he's not stupid..I'm sure he knows what he's doing.To me Nadal is too much of a confidence player.The more matches he wins the stronger he gets.Sure he could scrap out say-Rotterdam but on the whole his scheduling isnt too bad if you think of it.
However I do think he demands to much out of himself.More than his body can take.He pushes himself too hard .

I disagree. There was certain tournaments that he did not need to play, but he still did. He and his team need to work out his schedule so every year he does not burn out by the end of it.

veroniquem
06-08-2009, 12:17 PM

I don't understand the last sentence because Fed didn't play Nadal in Paris. As for me, I thought he was not moving well in his first rounds in RG but I didn't know why that was.

mandy01
06-08-2009, 12:18 PM
I disagree. There was certain tournaments that he did not need to play, but he still did. He and his team need to work out his schedule so every year he does not burn out by the end of it.
Yep..like I said he could scrap out Rotterdam.But on the whole he dosent play that many extra events as people think.

malakas
06-08-2009, 12:19 PM
Yep..like I said he could scrap out Rotterdam.But on the whole he dosent play that many extra events as people think.

and barcelona or madrid.

mandy01
06-08-2009, 12:21 PM
I don't understand the last sentence because Fed didn't play Nadal in Paris. As for me, I thought he was not moving well in his first rounds in RG but I didn't know why that was.
Nadal said he wasnt calm throughout the tournament and I buy it..for a 22 year old the pressure could've proved terrible.And Nadal still comes off like a sort of kid to me..I mean so many guys are still in college when at Nadal's age and look what the guy has achieved.
To me,he just looked less confident and very hesitant.Even with injuries,Nadal usually dosent look out of sorts.At some points in the Soderling match he did and to me that seemed more due to the pressure,due to lack of calmness which is only natural.

veroniquem
06-08-2009, 12:22 PM

There was another thread about this and I commented on how it was not Feds place to give his doctors diagnosis. But the other Fed fans jumped on me saying that it is in his right to say whatever he wants!
It was also not Fed's place to imply Djoko's retirement was not truly justified at AO but when is it that Fed has known to stay in his place in an interview? I've come to expect that kind of stuff from him every time now.

mandy01
06-08-2009, 12:22 PM
and barcelona or madrid.well..madrid-all players played and he has special attachment to Barcelona like Fed has to Basel.

mandy01
06-08-2009, 12:23 PM
Oh great..another attack on Fed :roll:

tahiti
06-08-2009, 12:24 PM
I've rewatched both the R'dam final and the match at RG where he lost. Indeed the opponents are hitting shots well but Rafa who is normally at least a few steps in running is rather statue like. He does also at one stage in the RG match look to his box in absolute despair shrugging his shoulders but whether that is due to pain or the match I don't know.

One thing is sure in retrospect, skipping Madrid would have been a good idea. Secondly, I didn't really see one good match of Rafa's at RG but I did miss the Hewitt one.

malakas
06-08-2009, 12:25 PM
Oh great..another attack on Fed :roll:

I don't give a damn anymore.Fed loses he's a crybaby too old and should retire.Federer wins and his win shouldn't count anyway.

Serve_Ace
06-08-2009, 12:29 PM
I don't give a damn anymore.Fed loses he's a crybaby too old and should retire.Federer wins and his win shouldn't count anyway.

Me either, no?

kraggy
06-08-2009, 01:08 PM
Sure..If you find me an article where he states he had problems with his knees during the Soderling match-He did not tape his knees,he took no medical time-outs.

He is saying NOW that he wasn't 100 % during the last few months. Just like Fed never brought up his mono right after the AO. They are both too classy to immediately blame a loss and not being full fit. But imagine if there were rumors about Fed dropping out of FO 08 because of his mono and Nadal says "Hmm , he looked great to me at the AO." And the fact of the matter is that Fed never really looked like "a sick puppy" as quoted by some of his fans on his board.

I suppose Nadal fans,think that Nadal and his team is so idiot that he doesn't tape his knees while he's in much pain in paris.

Well..I think more high of him.:rolleyes:
Not sure why everybody is making so much out of 'taping the knee'. I had some knee cartilage problems for a short period and my doc told me that taping it would only exacerbate the problem. So I don't think not taping the knee is an indication that he was feeling 100%.

veroniquem
06-08-2009, 01:12 PM
I've rewatched both the R'dam final and the match at RG where he lost. Indeed the opponents are hitting shots well but Rafa who is normally at least a few steps in running is rather statue like. He does also at one stage in the RG match look to his box in absolute despair shrugging his shoulders but whether that is due to pain or the match I don't know.

One thing is sure in retrospect, skipping Madrid would have been a good idea. Secondly, I didn't really see one good match of Rafa's at RG but I did miss the Hewitt one.
The Hewitt match was the only good one. I thought Rafa was way below his usual level in his first 2 rounds.

tennisfun1
06-08-2009, 01:13 PM
Uncle Toni is playing mental games again and has something to hide, a genuine chink in Nadal's armor perhaps.

JeMar
06-08-2009, 01:20 PM
This is nothing but Uncle Toni making up an excuse just in case that Nadal loses because he is still heartbroken over losing to someone who just plainly played better tennis on that day. Nadal's gonna be in Wimbledon, and hopefully he will have gotten over the loss in Paris.

Uncle Toni is famous for trying to lower expectations so that his player doesn't feel as much pressure. Quite frankly, it's a little pathetic. Just let the guy play.

VivalaVida
06-08-2009, 01:26 PM
I understand it was feds opinion but perhaps he shouldnt have said "I can tell when nadal is in pain". I mean Rafa told everyone he was feeling pain and his opinion is the only one that carries any weight whatsoever on this topic.

Nadal_Freak
06-08-2009, 01:27 PM
This is nothing but Uncle Toni making up an excuse just in case that Nadal loses because he is still heartbroken over losing to someone who just plainly played better tennis on that day. Nadal's gonna be in Wimbledon, and hopefully he will have gotten over the loss in Paris.

Uncle Toni is famous for trying to lower expectations so that his player doesn't feel as much pressure. Quite frankly, it's a little pathetic. Just let the guy play.
Since you know Nadal's knee better than Uncle Toni does. :rolleyes: That's why they're having lots of knee tests today and tomorrow.

JeMar
06-08-2009, 01:28 PM
After years of watching Uncle Toni use the same line and watching Nadal go out a week later and obliterate all comers, it becomes common sense.

VivalaVida
06-08-2009, 01:28 PM
The Hewitt match was the only good one. I thought Rafa was way below his usual level in his first 2 rounds.
Rafa didnt play that well in his first match in 2008 as well. His 2nd and 3rd round matches were definitely vintage Rafa Nadal

Nadal_Freak
06-08-2009, 01:32 PM
Yeah I think Nadal's been injured for awhile. It's nothing too painful to handle but it sounds like it isn't going away and possibly getting worse over time. Sounds a little scary.

thalivest
06-08-2009, 01:35 PM
Yeah I think Nadal's been injured for awhile. It's nothing too painful to handle but it sounds like it isn't going away and possibly getting worse over time. Sounds a little scary.

I am worried about his situation right now. :( I would definitely miss seeing him at Wimbledon, and if he can recover enough to play relatively risk free I will be thrilled to see him there. At the same time I want him to put his health first. I do not want to see him show up in the physical state he was in at say the 2007 U.S Open where instead of taking any time off for his knee injury his "team" and promoters all helped push him to play every darn tournament, including even a meaningless clay court tournament the very week after Wimbledon, and every hard court event on tap, worsening the injury all the time. I do not want to see such a scenario repeated. So I hope he can play Wimbledon, but I hope he also thinks long term.

malakas
06-08-2009, 01:36 PM
After years of watching Uncle Toni use the same line and watching Nadal go out a week late and obliterate all comers, it becomes common sense.

I agree with you,but I keep a little bit of a doubt,just in case.Maybe tomorrow we will know for sure.:) Uncle Toni could be like the boy who cried wolf!

drakulie
06-08-2009, 03:46 PM
It was also not Fed's place to imply Djoko's retirement was not truly justified at AO but when is it that Fed has known to stay in his place in an interview? I've come to expect that kind of stuff from him every time now.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c279/SBrooks2006/2ni5d8jjpg.gif

Radical Shot
06-08-2009, 03:48 PM
^^^ That's funny stuff.

bolo
06-08-2009, 04:04 PM
He is saying NOW that he wasn't 100 % during the last few months. Just like Fed never brought up his mono right after the AO. They are both too classy to immediately blame a loss and not being full fit. But imagine if there were rumors about Fed dropping out of FO 08 because of his mono and Nadal says "Hmm , he looked great to me at the AO." And the fact of the matter is that Fed never really looked like "a sick puppy" as quoted by some of his fans on his board.

Good analogy. I am sure he really thinks that he can tell when nadal is in pain and when he isn't. But ofcourse that's the really funny part.