PDA

View Full Version : Grass Season: Short but Immensely Sweet

leonidas1982
06-06-2009, 09:04 AM
My favorite part of the calender. It's time for lawn tennis.

Queen's draw is out.

http://www.atpworldtour.atponline.net/tennis/en/common/TrackIt.asp?file=/1/posting/2009/311/mds.pdf

batz
06-06-2009, 09:08 AM
My favorite part of the calender. It's time for lawn tennis.

Queen's draw is out.

http://www.atpworldtour.atponline.net/tennis/en/common/TrackIt.asp?file=/1/posting/2009/311/mds.pdf

Tough draw for ARod - Cilic, Karlovic and Hewitt are all in his quarter.

leonidas1982
06-06-2009, 09:11 AM
I'm interested to see how Grigor Dimitrov performs.

http://www.aegonchampionships.com/1/news/assets/news/09stadium_news.jpg

batz
06-06-2009, 09:14 AM
I'm interested to see Grigor Dimitrov play.

Me too - was impressed with him when I saw him earlier this season in rotterdam and Marseille. Grass could well suit his game.

malakas
06-06-2009, 09:17 AM
I'm more interested in seeing how Baghdatis plays.I hope he will play more than 2 matches the entire grass season.:rolleyes:

It will be also interesting to watch Nadal's perfomance with all these injuries rumours,and to see if Federer will have found his confidence.
I'm hoping for an exciting grass season!:D

batz
06-06-2009, 09:18 AM
Murray has just twittered that he is playing doubles with Hewitt this week!

C'mon! :)

shadows
06-06-2009, 09:18 AM
Me too - was impressed with him when I saw him earlier this season in rotterdam and Marseille. Grass could well suit his game.

He did win junior wimby with a shoulder injury last year xD I'm excited to see him play again too anyway ^^

I'm very much looking forward to the grass season, there's a lot of questions to be answered, hopefully with a lot of great tennis.

batz
06-06-2009, 09:19 AM
He did win junior wimby with a shoulder injury last year xD I'm excited to see him play again too anyway ^^

I'm very much looking forward to the grass season, there's a lot of questions to be answered, hopefully with a lot of great tennis.

Doh! I forgot about that Shadows.

malakas
06-06-2009, 09:20 AM
I'm very sad that Ancic will be out for the entire grass season.:(

And gasquet...

egn
06-06-2009, 09:21 AM
Dimitrov for the win =] I hope he makes a run to the quarters here and at least the 4th round at Wimby..He really needs to break through and get into the top 100 this year..Donald Young is ahead of him in the ranks =[

leonidas1982
06-06-2009, 09:24 AM
Dimitrov played well in the indoor tournament at Rotterdam. Grass obviously suits him (junior Wimbledon champion). Now, he's a pro. Hopefully he can get enough ranking points for Wimbledon.

vegeta SSJ4
06-06-2009, 09:25 AM
roddick should win this year, he's beaten all of the players on grass in his quater - hewitt,shwank,cilic,karlovic

shadows
06-06-2009, 09:41 AM
Continuing on the Dimitrov grass thing; he's just been playing in the Nottingham challenger where he made the quarters. He beat Dancevic (who was seeded 3rd) in the first round, and Bogdanovic in the second. Lost to Bozoljac in 3.

I'm also excited to see how Halle goes, potential Tsonga/Fed semi and a possible Nando/Nole one are both exciting match ups in my eyes.

DarthFed
06-06-2009, 09:48 AM
I agree with the OP, grass if my favorite surface to watch...and wimbledon is my favorite event..period

leonidas1982
06-06-2009, 09:54 AM
It's a shame that more grass events aren't held following Wimbledon. Shockingly, there are clay court events directly after Wimbledon and up until the US Open.

FlamEnemY
06-06-2009, 01:15 PM

I'd like to see that :)

Grigor may very well reach the QFs if he plays up to his potential - he has proven that he has the game to trouble the top players. Then again, he's still developing, can't expect miracles from him.

Roddick vs Hewitt sounds sweet. Come on, Lleyton!

tacou
06-06-2009, 04:09 PM
murray.hewitt would be cool.

Grass season is the best, but Queens will be sad without Maria, Rafa or Richie. I hope Roddick wins !

P_Agony
06-06-2009, 04:24 PM
I think Andy is winning Queens - either Murray or Roddick.

THESEXPISTOL
06-06-2009, 04:46 PM
Agree.. Grass Season is the best..
Wimbledon should be in the second part of July.. It would provide more grass tournaments

timnz
06-07-2009, 01:53 AM
It's a shame that more grass events aren't held following Wimbledon. Shockingly, there are clay court events directly after Wimbledon and up until the US Open.

Yes, there is - Newport, Rhode Island.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/tennis/3/en/tournaments/fullcalendar/

My own view is that the French Open should be a week earlier and Wimbledon a week later. That would create a 4 week season between Clay and Grass Majors where the tennis world could concentrate on Grass Court tennis. Then along with that make Queen's a Masters series event and Shift Newport to a time before Wimbledon, rename it to something like 'US Grasscourt Championships'. Then increase its prize money.

Having a Masters event on Grass and a high prize money event like a US Grass Court Championships with 4 weeks could really enliven Grass Court tennis.

Sir Andrew of Roddick
06-07-2009, 02:04 AM
I'm interested to see how Grigor Dimitrov performs.

I hate what the new sponser has done to the place... BLUE?....BLUE??!!

batz
06-07-2009, 02:14 AM

AEGON's corporate colour is blue mate - you can hardly expect them to leave it Stella Artois red.

Rhino
06-07-2009, 02:38 AM

OMG, after years of going to Queens and seeing the distinctive red/white on green look - that blue look is like a different place altogether.

leonidas1982
06-07-2009, 03:51 AM
Yes, there is - Newport, Rhode Island.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/tennis/3/en/tournaments/fullcalendar/

My own view is that the French Open should be a week earlier and Wimbledon a week later. That would create a 4 week season between Clay and Grass Majors where the tennis world could concentrate on Grass Court tennis. Then along with that make Queen's a Masters series event and Shift Newport to a time before Wimbledon, rename it to something like 'US Grasscourt Championships'. Then increase its prize money.

Having a Masters event on Grass and a high prize money event like a US Grass Court Championships with 4 weeks could really enliven Grass Court tennis.

I know about Newport; I want "more" events after Wimbledon. Newport has become a tournament of little consequence lately. I used to favor your approach, and still do if there was a chance that Roland Garros and Wimbledon will alter their schedule. Another approach I think should be considered is to have a grass Master's event 2 or 3 weeks after Wimbledon. This way Newport is a tournament of consequence as a warm-up for the Master's, and there could be another week of grass play in between Newport and the proposed grass Masters'.

Grass court players do get the shaft. Nicolas Mahut now has to play qualies.

leonidas1982
06-07-2009, 10:00 AM
http://www.atpworldtour.com/tennis/en/multimedia/default_video.asp?videoid=1254

malakas
06-07-2009, 10:03 AM

I agree!I liked the old queens much more!

scineram
06-07-2009, 11:11 AM

COME ON! No tv shows doubles. ****!

batz
06-07-2009, 11:19 AM
COME ON! No tv shows doubles. ****!

Murray/Hewitt are last match on centre tomorrow. The BBC might, just might, show it on their livestream.

leonidas1982
06-08-2009, 12:13 PM
Excellent news, Dimitrov has been awarded with a wildcard into Wimbledon.

batz
06-08-2009, 12:23 PM
Excellent news, Dimitrov has been awarded with a wildcard into Wimbledon.

He also made maximum use of it by beating Navarro in 3. Plays Simon on Wednesday.

All-rounder
06-08-2009, 12:24 PM
I agree with the OP grass season is short yet it is the most entertaining

Blade0324
06-08-2009, 12:44 PM
I think things have been shaken up heading into the grass season so that will make up for the grass being my least favorite surface and Wimby being my least favorite slam. I really hope someone other than Fed or Nadal wins it this year.

leonidas1982
06-10-2009, 06:38 AM
Mahut really deserves a wild card into Wimbledon. He is a perfect example of players who would have a higher rank if there were more grass events.

Sir Andrew of Roddick
06-10-2009, 07:00 AM
AEGON's corporate colour is blue mate - you can hardly expect them to leave it Stella Artois red.

What you think I don't know that, I already knew what the corporate colour of AEGON was, I also knew that they were going to destroy the place with their corporate blue.

Corporate blue and green should never be seen.

Atown
06-10-2009, 08:45 AM

I'd like to see that :)

It already happened in doubles: Lleyton Hewitt & Andy Murray beat Rajeev Ram & Andy Roddick 3-6, 6-3, 1-0 (12-10).

... Shift Newport to a time before Wimbledon, rename it to something like 'US Grasscourt Championships'. Then increase its prize money.

It's highly unlikely that many players, and especially the top ranked ones, would cross the Atlantic twice between Roland Garros and Wimbledon just to play Newport. The field would be mainly made up of American players who lost early in Paris and those who didn't go to Paris.

JeMar
06-10-2009, 08:48 AM
I'm looking forward to see if they've really sped up Wimbledon's grass.

mucat
06-10-2009, 08:50 AM
Short but Immensely Sweet
That's what she said.

Atown
06-11-2009, 01:33 PM

Roddick beat Hewitt 7-6 (2), 7-6 (4).

icedevil0289
06-12-2009, 07:32 AM
I'm very sad that Ancic will be out for the entire grass season.:(

And gasquet...

Me too. :cry: It seems ancic has no luck. I really love watching him play on grass and same goes for gasquet.

I agree with the OP. I love the grass season and I wish it was longer.

leonidas1982
06-15-2009, 07:49 AM
Ordina Open:

another OHBH to watch - http://www.ordinaopen.nl/ooStream.asx

leonidas1982
06-21-2009, 03:00 PM
12 more hours until the Tennis Championships begin. It's been a quick year. One hopes the fortnight unravels slowly.

shrakkie
06-21-2009, 03:17 PM
12 more hours until the Tennis Championships begin. It's been a quick year. One hopes the fortnight unravels slowly.

Yep. Completely agree.

I can't sleep due to the fact that I am thinking about it!

ElSuegro
06-21-2009, 03:38 PM
For me it's more sour than sweet. It's held during the rainy season, so there are always delays. There's only one tournament worth watching, the clothes are boring, and the lack of serve and volley players makes it a bit dull. It was much more interesting to me watching Becker, Rafter, Sampras, Edberg, etc. But I will watch anyway, and hope things go well.

leonidas1982
06-21-2009, 03:54 PM
For me it's more sour than sweet. It's held during the rainy season, so there are always delays. There's only one tournament worth watching, the clothes are boring, and the lack of serve and volley players makes it a bit dull. It was much more interesting to me watching Becker, Rafter, Sampras, Edberg, etc. But I will watch anyway, and hope things go well.

Agreed. But for me, the month of June is tennis. This is the sport that was created.

jimbo333
06-21-2009, 03:57 PM
Yep. Completely agree.

I can't sleep due to the fact that I am thinking about it!

Yep:)

And I'm actually going tomorrow, can't wait!!!

leonidas1982
06-22-2009, 06:49 AM
Soderling - Muller is shaping up to be an intense one.