PDA

View Full Version : Is Soderlilng strange and a loner?

Annika
06-06-2009, 09:26 AM
I heard a rumor from a reliable source that Soderling is very strange and quite anti-social. It shows in his strokes. :)

Annika
06-06-2009, 09:27 AM
Soderling...not soderlilng

malakas
06-06-2009, 09:28 AM
Soderling is a strange guy,who doesn't give a ***** what others think of him anyway.He doesn't talk in the lockerooms he doesn't say goodmorning to other players,and he has a gorgeous girlfriend.His best and only friend on tour is Nieminen.

DunlopDood
06-06-2009, 09:41 AM
Unlike you guys I don't believe all this stuff that is said about this guy in the media. Just watching his press conferences, he seems like a very well mannered and thoughtful chap.

malakas
06-06-2009, 09:45 AM
it's been said much before his run here,and even before the Nadal incident.Also a lot different players have said or hinted this.

Rhino
06-06-2009, 09:48 AM
He's not strange, it's his job, and I'm sure he has his real friends outside of tennis. Spadea is the same. He probably thinks a lot of his tennis colleagues are just arrogant dick heads anyway. He definitely dislikes Nadal, and doesn't feel the need to suck up to him or treat him like a god the way some of the others do. Good for him; I think he's probably more secure and together personally than a lot of the guys.
And yes his girlfriend is gorgeous.

R_Federer
06-06-2009, 09:49 AM
Just look at his celebration after knocking Nadal out. Loner!

Sword
06-06-2009, 09:51 AM
His favorite movie is gladiator.

Moz
06-06-2009, 09:51 AM
I heard a rumor from a reliable source that Soderling is very strange and quite anti-social. It shows in his strokes. :)

Yes, he sits on the internet all day and talks about other people playing sport. What a loser.

raiden031
06-06-2009, 09:56 AM
He's not strange, it's his job, and I'm sure he has his real friends outside of tennis. Spadea is the same. He probably thinks a lot of his tennis colleagues are just arrogant dick heads anyway. He definitely dislikes Nadal, and doesn't feel the need to suck up to him or treat him like a god the way some of the others do. Good for him; I think he's probably more secure and together personally than a lot of the guys.
And yes his girlfriend is gorgeous.

The guy is obviously not a nice guy as shown in that youtube video of him making fun of Nadal by imitating the butt pick while he was playing against Nadal. Plus that rant he had during a match where he didn't believe the umpire was pointing at the right ball mark because he [soderling] was pointing at one 6 feet away from the real mark.

Without knowing much else about him, I think its strange even if its just a job not to talk to anyone or say hi every now and then. I work at an office and am not the most social of people, but i'll say hi to people and talk to them. Its rude not to respond when someone says hi to you.

Rhino
06-06-2009, 10:03 AM
^^^ I personally think Nadal deserved that response from Soderling at Wimbledon. After hearing what Roger Rasheed said about Nadals locker-room mind games with other players, it was about time someone gave him some back. No one else had the courage but Soderling saw him as just another guy - and not a nice guy at that - so why not?

angharad
06-06-2009, 10:05 AM
Unlike you guys I don't believe all this stuff that is said about this guy in the media. Just watching his press conferences, he seems like a very well mannered and thoughtful chap.

That doesn't mean that he doesn't behave anti-socially on tour. He might be someone that doesn't like making friends with the competition. Maybe he came in without many friends and found others to be cliquish. He seems like a decent guy, at least in press conferences, but that doesn't say much for how he conducts himself in the locker room.

malakas
06-06-2009, 10:07 AM
^^^ I personally think Nadal deserved that response from Soderling at Wimbledon. After hearing what Roger Rasheed said about Nadals locker-room mind games with other players, it was about time someone gave him some back. No one else had the courage but Soderling saw him as just another guy - and not a nice guy at that - so why not?

I don't know what Rasheed said.Can you tell me,or post a link or smth?

Serendipitous
06-06-2009, 10:07 AM
Soderling is an enigmatic character.........

truthorbust
06-06-2009, 10:08 AM
I think he has balls. period.

Rhino
06-06-2009, 10:11 AM

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=143391

TBobLP
06-06-2009, 10:13 AM
soderling is full of mystery and mysteriousness like the great priests of ancient times who's secrets will never truly be uncovered. he is the king of kings, and the savior of an as of yet unheard of tribe of great legend in sweden. a victory tomorrow could change the world, as it would give rise to the new ruler of the world, soderling.

DarthFed
06-06-2009, 10:18 AM

I'm curious about this too....

JohnnySpot
06-06-2009, 10:22 AM
anyone know of any pictures of his girlfriend?

malakas
06-06-2009, 10:23 AM
he said this :
And now Roger Rasheed, who worked with Hewitt for four years, has stoked up the controversy further by claiming Nadal not only breaks the rules during matches but also bullies opponents beforehand.

Rasheed rapped: “In the locker room Rafa is very intense. He’s always running around and trying to apply the intimidation factor.

“The referee can come in and say ‘We’re ready to play’ but sure enough he just has to go to the toilet one more time and then sits there making his opponent wait for another minute.

“Then he goes out and does the same on court – by taking 30 to 40 seconds after very point.

“That’s part of his persona but it’s up to the opposition and the officials not to let it happen.

“Whenever Lleyton played Rafa, I’d have a word with the umpire to make sure that after the coin toss he’d warn him about the time issue.

“Rafa used to get upset about this. He doesn’t like referees speaking to him in this manner. But the rules must be enforced.”

thanx Rhino.Very interesting.

bolo
06-06-2009, 10:26 AM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=143391

Someone running around the locker room and going to the toilet one more time is intimidating? :)

Rasheed always seems like such a tough guy in the crowd. But those quotes make him seem like a real baby.

maximo
06-06-2009, 10:28 AM
You can say what you want, but he will come out victorious against Federer.

rommil
06-06-2009, 10:29 AM
The guy is obviously not a nice guy as shown in that youtube video of him making fun of Nadal by imitating the butt pick while he was playing against Nadal. Plus that rant he had during a match where he didn't believe the umpire was pointing at the right ball mark because he [soderling] was pointing at one 6 feet away from the real mark.

Without knowing much else about him, I think its strange even if its just a job not to talk to anyone or say hi every now and then. I work at an office and am not the most social of people, but i'll say hi to people and talk to them. Its rude not to respond when someone says hi to you.

Nadal had it coming. Those ticks and mannerisms were bound to be called out. It bothers some other pros I'm sure but they either try to ignore it or don't know how to go about it. It can be construed as rude what Soderling did but hey that's him. He doesn't care what people think of him, it appears to me at least. It was funny to me by the way, the Wimby incident. Surprised and stunned Nadal who gave a look like "WTF, how dare you?".

truthorbust
06-06-2009, 10:30 AM
I hope you are wrong .. Sod is good but Fed knows how to move him around... Sod wont like it.

Rhino
06-06-2009, 10:30 AM
anyone know of any pictures of his girlfriend?

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p46/soundreece/Soderling.jpg

I took this at Wimbledon.

malakas
06-06-2009, 10:31 AM
Someone running around the locker room and going to the toilet one more time is intimidating? :)

Rasheed always seems like such a tough guy in the crowd. But those quotes make him seem like a real baby.

if he does it consistently then it surely is tactics.Why would he always choose to go to the bathroom AFTER the umpire has called them in?And always make the opponent wait?

I'm not saying this as any kind of excuse or anything,but if we're going to go on about Sod ,then might as well do the same about nadal.Rasheed hasn't been the only who has complained about this.

epicsocks
06-06-2009, 10:31 AM
He makes cool faces.

maximo
06-06-2009, 10:32 AM

What's that in his hands?

rommil
06-06-2009, 10:32 AM

That's not Soderling. That's Thom Yorke. LOL

Mick
06-06-2009, 10:34 AM
federer is maybe the goat but soderling has a goatie :D

Rhino
06-06-2009, 10:35 AM

You don't get it, this is 'control freak' behavior.

Nadal wants to be seen as inflexible and demanding, because it suggests a certain purpose, and because he equates getting his own way in everything - from when they step out on court to when he feels like serving - with power and success. It's mind games, and it works, but Soderling doesn't play along, and I respect him for that.

Mick
06-06-2009, 10:38 AM

haha. i looked at the girl who was talking on the phone for a while before i noticed him in the pic :D

DunlopDood
06-06-2009, 10:41 AM
That doesn't mean that he doesn't behave anti-socially on tour. He might be someone that doesn't like making friends with the competition. Maybe he came in without many friends and found others to be cliquish. He seems like a decent guy, at least in press conferences, but that doesn't say much for how he conducts himself in the locker room.

How do you know? Have you been in the locker room? Have you personally talked to him or talked to other players about him? As far as I'm concerned it's all here say, all this talk about the guy being anti-social is nonsense. Some people assume that if someone is not interested in being your friend that makes them anti-social. That's just the way life is, get over it. I'm not surprised he's not friendly with Nadal, they have such differing personalities. Just because Soderling has the balls to call him on his fist pumping and extended breaks between points does't make him anti-social. I like the guy's game and I like his calm demeanor on court. He's respectful on court, not some flamboyant fist pumper in a pink polo.

bolo
06-06-2009, 10:45 AM
if he does it consistently then it surely is tactics.Why would he always choose to go to the bathroom AFTER the umpire has called them in?And always make the opponent wait?

I'm not saying this as any kind of excuse or anything,but if we're going to go on about Sod ,then might as well do the same about nadal.Rasheed hasn't been the only who has complained about this.

No not all, it could just be a habit. It might have nothing to do with trying to interrupt your opponent and gaining an advantage. In fact I am sure it's totally forgotten by the time play starts and if nadal wasn't so skilled as a tennis player this would all be noise that absolutely no one would care about. Imo if nadal were like an average pro in terms of results it would be something many players and tennis personnel would be having a jolly good laugh about. Can you believe that nadal guy?, he always goes to the toilet AFTER the umpire.....ho ho ho.

Others have complained, I find them to be babies as well. :) I don't find anything all that interesting about soderling's loner behavior either, except that it might help him zone out the fact that he is playing federer/nadal on the tennis court.

Rhino
06-06-2009, 10:45 AM
I like the guy's game and I like his calm demeanor on court. He's respectful on court, not some flamboyant fist pumper in a pink polo.

Hahaha, amen to that! :)

bolo
06-06-2009, 10:48 AM
You don't get it, this is 'control freak' behavior.

Nadal wants to be seen as inflexible and demanding, because it suggests a certain purpose, and because he equates getting his own way in everything - from when they step out on court to when he feels like serving - with power and success. It's mind games, and it works, but Soderling doesn't play along, and I respect him for that.

No I disagree. It's just something to focus on because you are getting schooled over an over again on the tennis court. All noise that has no effect on the outcomes of matches imo.

Cesc Fabregas
06-06-2009, 10:51 AM

Who cares what Rasheed has to say he is a nobody.

Rhino
06-06-2009, 10:52 AM
No I disagree. It's just something to focus on because you are getting schooled over an over again on the tennis court. All noise that has no effect on the outcomes of matches imo.

Dude, Nadal is MR MIND GAMES. Why do you think he does that run to the back of the court straight after the coin toss? He works closely with a sports psychologist, and he knows exactly what he's doing.

Rhino
06-06-2009, 10:54 AM
Who cares what Rasheed has to say he is a nobody.

You care.
Believe me if I'd been in the locker room with Nadal on several occasions, you and everybody else here would want to know every detail.

Cesc Fabregas
06-06-2009, 10:57 AM
Rasheed has always come across as obnoxious didn't he have to be seperated from Chela in the locker room once?

mrmo1115
06-06-2009, 11:00 AM
I don't think he is strange. Maybe not the most personable guy though.

bolo
Dude, Nadal is MR MIND GAMES. Why do you think he does that run to the back of the court straight after the coin toss? He works closely with a sports psychologist, and he knows exactly what he's doing.

On one hand we have: He's hyper, like a boxer, super competitive, gets pumped up for matches, has some extra energy to release by sprinting to the back of the court.

On the other hand we have: Works closely with a sports psychologist to develop a strategy where he goes to the toilet one more time and sprints to back of the court after the coin toss because this will mess up his opponent.

Come on Rhino. :)

malakas
No not all, it could just be a habit. It might have nothing to do with trying to interrupt your opponent and gaining an advantage. In fact I am sure it's totally forgotten by the time play starts and if nadal wasn't so skilled as a tennis player this would all be noise that absolutely no one would care about. Imo if nadal were like an average pro in terms of results it would be something many players and tennis personnel would be having a jolly good laugh about. Can you believe that nadal guy?, he always goes to the toilet AFTER the umpire.....ho ho ho.

Others have complained, I find them to be babies as well. :) I don't find anything all that interesting about soderling's loner behavior either, except that it might help him zone out the fact that he is playing federer/nadal on the tennis court.

yes..it could just be a habit.OR it could not.Players have complained about all his little habits.If it's nothing but a habit maybe he should stop these little habits that are near mind tactics territories.

Ballinbob
Even if he was a loner, what does it matter?

icedevil0289
06-06-2009, 11:01 AM
Is that such a bad thing? Maybe he is unsocial, but he didn't become a professional tennis player to make friends. He is there to compete. There is no rule that says you have to be friendly with the other players.

swedechris
06-06-2009, 11:04 AM
Even if he was a loner, what does it matter?

Yes, why demand people to be like one wants them to be to suit ones own idea of 'normal' which normally coincides with self..

dincuss
06-06-2009, 11:05 AM

Hahah they do look so similar

probably strings and an ID card

rommil
06-06-2009, 11:08 AM
Is that such a bad thing? Maybe he is unsocial, but he didn't become a professional tennis player to make friends. He is there to compete. There is no rule that says you have to be friendly with the other players.

Exactly. After seeing Roger dealing with is decline, bawling like a little girl and supposedly being "arrogant" in his interviews here comes Soderling who don't give a rat's cheese what other people think of him, Rafa's cheesy interviews gets outdated. We want brilliant tennis and more drama, something you wouldn't expect from a clay court tournament but French Open 09 has thrown that all out the window. Very good time for tennis.

Rhino
06-06-2009, 11:08 AM
On one hand we have: He's hyper, like a boxer, super competitive, gets pumped up for matches, has some extra energy to release by sprinting to the back of the court.

On the other hand we have: Works closely with a sports psychologist to develop a strategy where he goes to the toilet one more time and sprints to back of the court after the coin toss because this will mess up his opponent.

Come on Rhino. :)

You can word it to make it seem silly if you want. These kind of situations are about sending subtle messages to the opponent. You make a big deal out of the toilet thing, but thats just another way for him to assert his control. he's trying to show who is the boss.
thats why I was in deep shock when I saw his pink shirt, because I thought... wow, Nadal is seriously undermining his 'invincible aura' with that sissy looking shirt - bad miscalculation.

malakas
06-06-2009, 11:10 AM

THAT's what you had to say on the photo??? lol :mrgreen:

Golden Retriever
06-06-2009, 11:10 AM
He is a stranger loner who happens to be rich and famous. I really don't think he needs your sympathy.

sureshs
06-06-2009, 11:19 AM
JMac mentioned that Soderling is not liked in the locker room

bolo
06-06-2009, 11:24 AM
You can word it to make it seem silly if you want. These kind of situations are about sending subtle messages to the opponent. You make a big deal out of the toilet thing, but thats just another way for him to assert his control. he's trying to show who is the boss.
thats why I was in deep shock when I saw his pink shirt, because I thought... wow, Nadal is seriously undermining his 'invincible aura' with that sissy looking shirt - bad miscalculation.

oh so the nike sports exec. overruled the nadal sports psychologist?

Btw, just out of curiousity I never heard of nadal working with a sports psychologist, where do you get that info. from?

IvanAndreevich
06-06-2009, 11:25 AM
I think Soderling's strangeness is overrated :)

Mick
06-06-2009, 11:31 AM
his on court behavior is more normal than nadal's :shock:

rafan
06-06-2009, 11:33 AM
Actually his attitude reminds me of Lendl

okdude1992
06-06-2009, 11:34 AM
How do you know? Have you been in the locker room? Have you personally talked to him or talked to other players about him? As far as I'm concerned it's all here say, all this talk about the guy being anti-social is nonsense. Some people assume that if someone is not interested in being your friend that makes them anti-social. That's just the way life is, get over it. I'm not surprised he's not friendly with Nadal, they have such differing personalities. Just because Soderling has the balls to call him on his fist pumping and extended breaks between points does't make him anti-social. I like the guy's game and I like his calm demeanor on court. He's respectful on court, not some flamboyant fist pumper in a pink polo.

you sir are what we would call a nadal hater.

Fiercer
06-06-2009, 11:36 AM
He is strange alright. Beating Nadal at the French open, thats strange. He is a loner in that aspect too :)

maximo
06-06-2009, 11:38 AM
I find him putting a towel over his head for concentration during changeovers ammusing. :)

emerckx53
06-06-2009, 11:40 AM

ridonkulous thread...per usual around here...

Rhino
06-06-2009, 12:05 PM
oh so the nike sports exec. overruled the nadal sports psychologist?

Btw, just out of curiousity I never heard of nadal working with a sports psychologist, where do you get that info. from?

I just assumed. But I think he works with Uncle Kevin... http://www.kevinnadal.com/

subaru3169
06-06-2009, 12:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQqaMb0J8EM

this was pretty funny

P_Agony
06-06-2009, 12:25 PM
he said this :

thanx Rhino.Very interesting.

Isn't Roger Rasheed working with Monfils now?

rommil
06-06-2009, 12:45 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQqaMb0J8EM

this was pretty funny

Both players being good sports although Nadal looks a bit embarassed but mad props anyways. Didn't realize Nole spoke Italian( if I'm not mistaken).

angharad
06-06-2009, 01:50 PM
How do you know? Have you been in the locker room? Have you personally talked to him or talked to other players about him? As far as I'm concerned it's all here say, all this talk about the guy being anti-social is nonsense. Some people assume that if someone is not interested in being your friend that makes them anti-social.

I'm not saying there's an issue with being anti-social, so cool your jets. Yes, it's hearsay, but it's hearsay from a number of different sources. The only point that I was trying to make is that how a player acts in a press conference - or how he's treated by the press - doesn't give you a clue as to how he behaves in the locker room, or how other pros feel about him. That's it, end of story.

yes..it could just be a habit.OR it could not.Players have complained about all his little habits.If it's nothing but a habit maybe he should stop these little habits that are near mind tactics territories.

Wasn't there an issue between Rafa and another player awhile back about this? It was something along the lines of Rafa wanting to leave the locker room last, and his opponent sat down and waited for him to leave. There was a short delay because neither player wanted to leave first, but Rafa finally did. It may have even been Soderling, for all I remember, but Gonzales popped into my head, also. :confused:

pound cat
06-06-2009, 01:59 PM

No rumour is ever from a reliable source or else it would be a fact, not a rumour.

Yes, his anti-social behaviour shows in his x-court fh and his strangeness shows itself in his bizarre haircut.

Loner? You may be right. I've only seen him play singles.

Other than that he's completely normal.

bolo
06-06-2009, 03:41 PM
I just assumed. But I think he works with Uncle Kevin... http://www.kevinnadal.com/

lol. 10 char. :)

bolo
06-06-2009, 03:41 PM
Yes, his anti-social behaviour shows in his x-court fh and his strangeness shows itself in his bizarre haircut.

:) 10 char.

Gorecki
06-06-2009, 05:58 PM
yes... very... i belive he is a Cientologist and has taken Peyotes for breakfast but no one can say he dint or that he do not because it's not on wikipedia

this sums it up!

oy vey
06-06-2009, 07:58 PM
Q. Many people say that you are very, very shy.

ROBIN SODERLING: Shy?

Q. Yes. I don't know if that's trueor not. I'd like you to confirm it ornot. Also, if you're less shy now thatyou're winning more. Again, if in thelocker rooms, when you meet some of the other players, some say that you didn'tsay hello all the time. Are you nowsaying hello to everybody?

ROBIN SODERLING: I'm not sure if I'm that shy. For sure I'm not going to change, youknow. I feel like I'm still the sameperson. This is just tennis for me. Yeah, maybe they're right. Maybe I don't say hi all the time, but I'malways ‑‑ I'm always a little bit tense before matches, you know, always alittle bit nervous.
I don't like to speaktoo much before my matches. That's justthe way, you know, I am. There'snothing ‑‑ has nothing to do with the other players.

http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/news/interviews/2009-06-05/200906051244219093981.html

coyfish
06-06-2009, 08:23 PM
how can you not have a hot girlfriend if your swedish :). Don't think ive ever seen an unattractive swede.

Annika
06-06-2009, 08:44 PM
Wasn't Borg kinda of shy also? Isn't he his mentor? Shy people can be control freaks. :shock:

Bjorn99
06-06-2009, 09:02 PM
Soderling is playing very well right now. I would LOVE to see him beat Federer. I LOVE to see Federer cry, I really do, its so pathetic and gay. But Federer seems to be born under a lucky star,and he will probably run this poor guy into the ground. And he will have the big I am the best of all time gay smile on afterwards). Yeck.

Soderling can move well right now, but Federer is designed to take him apart unless Soderling is hitting that forehand and coming in on the backhand.

ljw5021
06-06-2009, 09:07 PM
Yeah it definitely looks like he keeps to himself and is a bit quiet.

Luckily for him, he gets the competitive fire when he needs it (like down 4-1 in the 5th set against Gonzalez).

This final will be interesting because I was rooting for both players. I've always thought of the Fed as the greatest player of all time, and this Slam will confirm that. As for Soderling, who doesn't love an underdog? :P

tnsanydy
06-06-2009, 09:35 PM
Everybody thinks that Federer is a nice guy- fact: early in his tennis career, he used to break rackets and complaints like crazy when things don't get this way- he then changed and now just CRIES when he loses! Nobody's perfect fellas! I maybe not the only one that gets irritated when Nadal fixes his hair, dig on his *** before serving and pump his fist like, take that *** **** but that's what makes them unique as a player, so loner, crazy or not, he earned his way to the final beating Nadal- we are not inerested on their life outside of tennis- it's what we see on the tennis court!

DunlopDood
06-06-2009, 10:15 PM
you sir are what we would call a nadal hater.

I don't hate anyone, I just don't like nadal's on court demeanor, and I believe he gets away with too much because he's number 1.

Tennis_Bum
06-06-2009, 10:34 PM

What? You don't believe the media? What's wrong with you? You don't believe everything you read or heart from the media? Must you talk a grain of salt with everything you read or hear? Man, where are you from?

I am kidding of course. Yes, the media can stretch things a bit. Even if it's true, Soderling doesn't have to do any of those things. He can pick his friends and he doesn't have to be friendly with everyone he sees. Why should he? As long as he is not hostile toward everyone then I don't see that as an issue, even if he doesn't say hi to people in the locker room. Could he just be minding his own business or trying to focus on a match?

dParis
06-06-2009, 10:46 PM
He is strange alright. Beating Nadal at the French open, thats strange. He is a loner in that aspect too :)
HA-ha! If there were any justice in the world, this would be the thread-ender.

Radical Shot
06-06-2009, 11:32 PM
Yes, he sits on the internet all day and talks about other people playing sport. What a loser.

:shock:

Yeah....what he said.