PDA

View Full Version : Agassi

TheLambsheadrep
06-06-2009, 04:48 PM
What was his secret to his great returning ability? also, just tell me anything you know about him. opinions, his preferences, rackets he used/his favorite racket/ how long he used them(also, what racket did he actually use the most, since people said he used paintjobs over a lot of more recent models), etc.

And this has to do with my last question: Agassi seemed to play with the I.Radical and the Radical Flexpoint longer than other models he used (or at least when you see pics of him online it seems hes always using those two rackets). now, a lot of people said these were their least favorite radicals. so was he really using them, or was HEAD trying to buff up sales of those rackets? I actually like the flexpoint, so I wouldnt know.

Also, where can I find good match video of Agassi? theres not a lot on youtube

rod99
06-06-2009, 05:00 PM
the secret to his returning ability was his elite reflexes, eyesight (i read he had either a 20/10 or 20/15 eyesight), and hand eye coordination. his dad made a ball machine when andre was a kid that fed the ball so fast that he almost had to half volley returns off the baseline.

when he first came on the tour, he played with a prince mid-size (black frame, don't know the name). he then went to the donnay pro one from around 1989 - 1991 or so. i'm nowhere near a racket guru so i can't recall the rackets he used after that.

coyfish
06-06-2009, 05:03 PM
Well he used the TI radical for a while. The TI is a pretty unanimously renound racket . . . not sure where you got that info (that it was bad).

Agassi just had great reaction speed and the ability to take balls early. Its just a skill of his . . . no secret. He would step in and take balls so early but be able to rip them back over the net. Few players can do that even half as well as he was able to.

tonyg11
06-06-2009, 05:23 PM
i think the whole paintjob thing is definately a new thing. Andre really did use a Donnay Pro 1, he really did use a Radical, Sampras and Courier really did use prostaffs, michael chang really did use a prince graphite.

Agassi's return was a reflection of the times. When your top competition are serve and volley players you need to take the ball early to put pressure on the guy coming to the net. Something you do NOT need to do now adays. Now you can stay 10' behind the baseline, take the ball on the descent, then lob back a deep return.

Agassi as a baseliner was actually a rarity in the top 10 at the time. With guys like Sampras, Edberg, Becker, Rafter, etc, you better take that ball early and have a good return or you're toast.

Agassi's win at the 1992 Wimbledon was a great match that i wish i could find on a non idiotic sign up torrent site. His win over Sampras in 95 at Australia was also a great match where Andre played flawlessly

TheLambsheadrep
06-06-2009, 08:41 PM
Well he used the TI radical for a while. The TI is a pretty unanimously renound racket . . . not sure where you got that info (that it was bad).

Not the Ti., the I. (Intellegence). I used the Ti.Radical OS and it was a great racket. My friend, who had a higher spot on our tennis team, used an I.Radical and he hit with it really well. I heared tho it was a less-popular radical for players

TheLambsheadrep
06-06-2009, 08:46 PM
ya, taking the ball on the rise is a whole different shot then at its peak or on the fall. you cant really swing low-high to put topspin on the ball, you kinda have to swing through it (or thats what it looks like when watching Agassi video) which almost puts a sidespin on it (atleast on my shots). i would really like to get that shot down, or atleast work on my footwork so I can hit the shot like I normally would.

Warriorroger
06-07-2009, 12:44 AM
Hitting the ball clean. You can also hear it when he played. His coach at the time said that everyone sometimes hit the ball at a different spot on the racket, not Andre, always the same sweet spot. You could tell at Wimbldedon a couple of weeks ago, that he still did that. He can hit many baseline shots lke half volleys, perfectly timed and hard hit.

TheLambsheadrep
06-07-2009, 11:31 AM
what about his rackets? what was he really using all these years?

TheLambsheadrep
06-07-2009, 08:20 PM
what about his rackets? what was he really using all these years? was he just boosting sales?

chrisdaniel
06-07-2009, 08:23 PM
I don't know...... My guess is he used the first Radical (yellow and Black)
for a while. I think he might have used the Ti for a while as well. I am just guessing.

Lendl and Federer Fan
06-07-2009, 09:30 PM
I just wish Agassi beat Sampras a few more times, and had a better H2H record against Pistol Pete. :) It all started in 90 USO final...

World Class Forehand
06-07-2009, 10:29 PM
Agassi's racquet history: 1986-1989 Prince Original Graphite 110 (Oversize), 1989-1993 Donnay Pro One Oversize, and 1993-2006 Head Radical Trisys 260 (Oversize). While playing on tour with a Head racquet for 13 years with several different paintjobs it is widely believed that the change was only cosmetic and Agassi only played with the original yellow and black Radical that Head manufactured from 1993-1995. Agassi was not opposed to experimenting with the latest in racquet technology as he did experiment with the Head Liquidmetal Instinct for the '05 French Open and '06 Queen's Club Tournament. Also, in '91 he did experiment with a widebody racquet called the Donnay Ultimate Pro for a very brief period.

TheLambsheadrep
06-08-2009, 10:01 AM
ya, ive seen pics with him using the instinct, which is pretty cool i guess. is it possible to find one of the original 260's? i heared they were different than the limited editions, but which one do people think is better?

eric draven
06-08-2009, 12:30 PM
Agassi was developed first by his father who used to beg people to play his 5 year old son exclaiming that he was going to be the No. 1 player in the world someday. He later sent Andre to the Bolletieri Academy. It's said his father taught him how to return by forcing young Andre to stand well inside the baseline while Mike put a ball machine at the net pointed down at the service box. He would then make Andre hit hundreds of returns and yell at him to shorten the backswing. This was all to hone the incredible hand-eye coordination he recognized in his son. He heard about Nick Bolletieri's training academy and sent him for what he could afford, one week. Upon seeing Andre hit the first time he gave Mike Agassi his money back and awarded Andre a full scholarship.

It was in Florida where Andre began to really rebel. Apparently lonely and suffering culture shock the dog-eat-dog culture of the academy served to make Andre find any way he could lash out but also to win. While many of the students could go home on the weekends Andre couldn't simply fly home to Vegas. He often resorted to hustling tennis-playing professionals to get enough money for airfare. He'd fly home for the weekend, spend time with friends and then fly back the following week. He knew that in order to get away from the academy he had to turn pro and start winning. Thus, the decision to turn pro at 16...

And the rest, as they say, is history!

TheLambsheadrep
06-08-2009, 01:47 PM
ya, i saw the sports scenter documentary so i know a lot if his backround. im just curious now about what he actually used as a tennis player, because presently a lot of the pros are under suspicion of using paintjobs. also, i want to know about the Trysis 260 (also known as the Radical Tour..? is that true?)

vandre
06-08-2009, 02:04 PM
one of the big misconceptions about andre was that he was totally devoid of any sort of tactics early in his career. one of his favored plays at that time was to stand near the sideline when serving to the ad court and hit a kick serve to the side of the box. this would give usually give him a forehand he could punish. i'm not saying he couldn't have a brain fart but he didn't always play without a plan. as he got older, he went for more on the serve to try and get some more "free" points.

his forehand was great but his backhand could beat you too. he could pass equally well of either side.

the thing i loved about watching agassi play was that he could hit any shot at anytime. he was just as likely to hit an overhead as he was to go for the 'tweener (in his early days). some of the fogeys may not like him for this, but he was a showman and he made tennis fun to watch.

you could tell what kind of a day he was having by where he was standing. if he was camped out on or just inside the baseline, he was having a good day. if he was 3+ feet behind the baseline, it was a bad day. that's why i cried like a little girl when i saw him standing 3 feet behind the baseline in his last match. i knew it was over.

as far as the racquets, aa started with prince, then created a huge controversy by switching to the donnay pro one. check this pic out:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1420000/images/_1420116_agassi_1989_150.jpg

if you look closely you will see a red donnay d stenciled on what appears to be a prince graphite racquet...

he switched and all of the talking heads were in an uproar! what's he doing??? doesn't he know he's no. 4 in the world???? he'll never win anything now!!!!!! (everything ppl said about novak/ even some of the same talking heads!!!/ even though i don't think novak changed anything other than the pj!)

anyway then came the original donnay pro one:

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0608/gallery.agassi/images/1989_1228880.jpg

aa rockin' the donnay pro one and nike demin shorts!!!!! oh yeah!!!!

then the ultimate pro experiment. what i've heard (that aa hated this frame and broke a bunch of them on purpose) and what i've seen (the pro one ltd ed with the same orange/ grey pj as the ultimate pro) leads me to believe that this particular experiment failed. it was with the orange/ grey pro one agassi won wimbledon

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40623000/jpg/_40623360_agassi_200x245.jpg

then came the third edition/ pj of the donnay pro one

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ieLKd1kFAEU/RoeiMUXoL7I/AAAAAAAAACE/PTaCN078N4s/s320/andre16.jpg

as far as i know, this was the last donnay frame aa used because at wimbledon in 93

http://equaka.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pHZmFLd5JLFT37zduU1NAKh8CIdpNBOfsIbAmdcMWz3cNk-66nI0iGGGZHV34r12jcPLCwK852TK-8G-DfxY03A/agassi900.jpg

pic on the left is aa with an unstenciled head racquet.

tomn
06-08-2009, 03:20 PM
i think agassi was just a gift player. afterall, he did win the grand slam. i saw him on the tennis channel while he was at one of his foundation's clinics with youngster and he was wearing jeans, he was returning serves from one of the bryan brothers with one of the kid's racket out of the blue and he still had it.

TheLambsheadrep
06-08-2009, 08:20 PM
Vandre, what about the Head rackets in his career?

vandre
06-09-2009, 12:01 PM
ummm...i was off doing other stuff around that time, but i think they go in this order...

http://i19.tinypic.com/54dv7yb.jpg

original head radical trysis 260 (bumblebee)

then this

http://www.mattstennis.com/assets/images/radical-tour-twin-tube-ds.jpg

i think this was pj only but don't quote me on that!

then i think this one came in

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Reviews/TIRAD/TIRad_Agassi.GIF

then after that i have totally no clue. the posters here know alot more than i do. i followed agassi's earlier career (89-95) much closer than i did his later career (96-06).

TheLambsheadrep
06-09-2009, 04:28 PM
ya, the last picture you posted is the twin tube tour. I bought three of those online about a year ago, and i love em. i really would like to try to 260's tho too, its weird to think with all the new racket technologies that pros like Agassi favored his beloved older racket. i heard, and it makes sense, that its because they dont want to switch from the racket that theyve hit great with for a long time. and if i had a racket that i liked enough to use and helped me become a pro I wouldnt switch either

TheLambsheadrep
06-09-2009, 04:30 PM
the only real diff between the original trysis 260 and the limited edition cosmetically is that the LE has Agassi's tournament wins on the throat.

Devilito
06-10-2009, 04:27 PM
Agassi's return was a reflection of the times. When your top competition are serve and volley players you need to take the ball early to put pressure on the guy coming to the net. Something you do NOT need to do now adays. Now you can stay 10' behind the baseline, take the ball on the descent, then lob back a deep return.

Agassi as a baseliner was actually a rarity in the top 10 at the time. With guys like Sampras, Edberg, Becker, Rafter, etc, you better take that ball early and have a good return or you're toast.

you nailed it

TheLambsheadrep
06-10-2009, 07:18 PM
the only real diff between the original trysis 260 and the limited edition cosmetically is that the LE has Agassi's tournament wins on the throat.

right? what are the compositions of the two though?

thanks again vandre for all the great info. does anyone know about his career 1996-2006?

chrisdaniel
06-16-2009, 10:41 PM
no, the limited edition and the original 260 are very, very different. Look it up in the racquet forum. You should find something about it there.

chrisdaniel
06-16-2009, 10:49 PM
While I am not sure what he ACTUALLY is using under maybe a pj. I do know the order was something like.

260 (yellow and black),
then the gray and yellow Twin Tube,
then the gray, yellow, and red twin Tube(the pic is earlier in the thread),
then the Head Radical Ti,
Intelligence Radical,
Liquid Metal Radical,
Flexpoint Radical, and since he has been retired I have seen the
Microgel and now Youtek Radicals.

He played with the Instinct for a few matches, and I also remember the match / tournament he lost to Tommy Haas one year at Wimbledon he was using a racquet that to this day I never figured out what it was. Am I just remembering wrong???

A.A. The Punisher
06-19-2009, 11:23 PM
Im waiting for my new Youtek raquets, all my raquets are Mid plus.

http://i39.tinypic.com/rm1c06.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/sd34fc.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/x24epd.jpg

A.A. The Punisher
06-19-2009, 11:38 PM
http://i39.tinypic.com/whkxsy.jpg

http://i44.tinypic.com/sv0780.jpg

And here is the Limited Edition

http://i39.tinypic.com/9jf3ao.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/sfkuup.jpg

TheLambsheadrep
06-20-2009, 11:53 AM
dude, thats sick. i wish i could get all the rackets agassi used, just cause i could. i looked for threads about differences in the LE Radical and Radical Agassi used, but couldnt find any. if anyone knows where they are can the paste the link? thanks.

tiangkim
08-27-2009, 03:48 AM
hi vandre

wanna sell your radical?
contact me at tiangkim@hotmail.com

tiangkim
08-27-2009, 03:55 AM
how bout you A.A. The Punisher? wanna sell?

35ft6
08-31-2009, 09:37 PM
It was great seeing him tonight being honored. His speech was typically thoughtful and non-generic. He and Fed are the best ambassadors for the sport of tennis of the Open era. They are both so comfortable in their skin, so gracious, that even if they said they enjoyed ballet, they do it so unabashedly, I think even most blue collar Americans would be like "that's cool."