PDA

View Full Version : Federer fans: What will you think if somehow Federer losses?

P_Agony
06-06-2009, 03:51 PM
I will personally think it's a huge disaster.

ronalditop
06-06-2009, 03:54 PM
If he loses tomorrow i think there is no more chance for him of winning the FO. But if he wins, he may win it again in the next years.

zagor
06-06-2009, 03:55 PM
Well I would think he blew a really great shot at the one slam he's still missing so yeah you could say a disaster.Would probably also avoid this forum for a while as this place would get overrun by various Fed bashers(mostly from Sampras and Nadal camp)and turn this place into Fed bashing warehouse.

People can say what they want about Fed fans but from what I've seen Nadal didn't get bashed nearly as much as Fed did when he lost Wimbledon last year and AO this year so this forum would probably get almost unbearable for a while again.

IvanAndreevich
06-06-2009, 03:57 PM
Depends on how he loses. If Soderling just plain comes out firing and hits 80 winners to 20 UE's that's one thing. If Federer plays poorly, that's another.

P_Agony
06-06-2009, 03:58 PM
Well I would think he blew a really great shot at the one slam he's still missing so yeah you could say a disaster.Would probably also avoid this forum for a while as this place would get overrun by various Fed bashers(mostly from Sampras and Nadal camp)and turn this place into Fed bashing warehouse.

People can say what they want about Fed fans but from what I've seen Nadal didn't get bashed nearly as much as Fed did when he lost Wimbledon last year and AO this year so this forum would probably get almost unbearable for a while again.

Yes but there are still decent posters here. It's important that you stay because you are one of them. If all the decent poster would leave this forum would really be a mad house.

zagor
06-06-2009, 04:00 PM
Yes but there are still decent posters here. It's important that you stay because you are one of them. If all the decent poster would leave this forum would really be a mad house.

Thanks for saying that but I didn't mean I would leave the forum,won't maybe post for a while if Fed loses but I doubt I'll ever leave this forum for good,I'll stay a member even when Fed retires.I'm a big fan of Fed but a big fan of tennis as well.

seffina
06-06-2009, 04:04 PM

People can say what they want about Fed fans but from what I've seen Nadal didn't get bashed nearly as much as Fed did when he lost Wimbledon last year and AO this year so this forum would probably get almost unbearable for a while again.I don't really care about this, but why must we bring the whole "fan" thing into everything? You really don't have to answer, but it's not so hard to talk about tennis without comparing fandoms all the time.

For what it's worth, I don't think any particular groups is worse than the other. Talking about it only propagates all this.

--------
On topic, it would suck. Because this is a spectacular chance and I'm not mentally prepared for this loss. I just don't think there is a chance he'll lose, so yeah, it would be disastrous for me. For Roger, too, as these chances are hard to come by. Not for his GS total. He'll have other chances for that, but who knows about another French like this.

P_Agony
06-06-2009, 04:06 PM
I don't really care about this, but why must we bring the whole "fan" thing into everything? You really don't have to answer, but it's not so hard to talk about tennis without comparing fandoms all the time.

For what it's worth, I don't think any particular groups is worse than the other. Talking about it only propagates all this.

--------
On topic, it would suck. Because this is a spectacular chance and I'm not mentally prepared for this loss. I just don't think there is a chance he'll lose, so yeah, it would be disastrous for me. For Roger, too, as these chances are hard to come by. Not for his GS total. He'll have other chances for that, but who knows about another French like this.

seffina, make sure you watch the match. Everytime you started watching Federer started playing better :)

zagor
06-06-2009, 04:09 PM
]I don't really care about this, but why must we bring the whole "fan" thing into everything? You really don't have to answer, but it's not so hard to talk about tennis without comparing fandoms all the time. [/B]

--------

You're probably right so I'll try not to bring fan wars up anymore but I was shocked a bit at the hostility Fed received after he lost Wimbledon and AO this year and even when he won Madrid.

And yes Fed will certainly have chances to tie or break Pete's slam record even if he loses tomorrow but this is his one golden opportunity at the FO and he knows it.

malakas
06-06-2009, 04:11 PM
It's not the end of the world,so not overreact now!:)

I will probably be able to focus to my exams easier.So it's a win-win...somehow..

angharad
06-06-2009, 04:11 PM
I'd shrug, say "that's too bad", and move on. I certainly want him to win, but I don't think his career is over if he loses tomorrow. The guy has plenty to look forward to in upcoming months.

VilasFan
06-06-2009, 04:14 PM
^^I agree...not the end of the world if he doesn't win.

seffina
06-06-2009, 04:14 PM
seffina, make sure you watch the match. Everytime you started watching Federer started playing better :)

I've wanted to watch every single match, but somehow things always come up the days Roger's playing. Although for the semi, I thought I was set with access to basic cable. Who would've thought NBC wouldn't show the match live? I had to rely on a slow dial up connection where I was and follow along by FO's html score update. It sucked.

But I'm definitely watching tomorrow. I hope it means a quick and easy victory! :D

It's not the end of the world,so not overreact now!:)
No, not the end of the world. That would be Soderling winning the French. :p

P_Agony
06-06-2009, 04:16 PM
I've wanted to watch every single match, but somehow things always come up the days Roger's playing. Although for the semi, I thought I was set with access to basic cable. Who would've thought NBC wouldn't show the match live? I had to rely on a slow dial up connection where I was and follow along by FO's html score update. It sucked.

But I'm definitely watching tomorrow. I hope it means a quick and easy victory!

No, not the end of the world. That would be Soderling winning the French. :p

I hope so too. Turn your magic on seffina ;-)

skip1969
06-06-2009, 04:18 PM
i don't mind whoever wins. even though very few will see it on this board, there will be no shame in losing to a guy who is having the two weeks of his career (even if he never reaches such heights again). it won't be the first time that someone plays out of their minds to capture a slam out of nowhere. only a fool will argue that soderling isn't a "deserving" champion after the guys he's had to beat this week, and the guts he's had to show in clutch situations.

but if fed wins, he will have knocked out the hot player of the tourney, which no one else had managed to do . . . and that makes him "deserving" as well. no matter what anyone says.

all i want is a competitive match. i'm travelling right now, and i'm doing what i can to watch the match. so i hope it's a good one!

Serendipitous
06-06-2009, 04:20 PM
I will think that Soderling is taking steroids.

P_Agony
06-06-2009, 04:22 PM

That's quite a claim you've got there. The basis is...?

zagor
06-06-2009, 04:23 PM

C'mon no need for that,steroids won't help you paint the lines and hit winners all over the court like Soderling is doing at the FO this year.

Docalex007
06-06-2009, 04:23 PM
If he loses tomorrow i think there is no more chance for him of winning the FO. But if he wins, he may win it again in the next years.

We say this every year... year after year.

SourStraws
06-06-2009, 04:24 PM
The pressure got to him and he couldnt handle it...Or wtf (assuming he plays horribly). Soderling has been playing well though, so it's not like he's losing to a qualifier or anything *cough* JAMES BLAKE *cough*

S.S.

Serendipitous
06-06-2009, 04:24 PM
That's quite a claim you've got there. The basis is...?

I'm just joking........what I'm trying to say is that I will be completely stunned because to beat both Nadal and Federer to win a grand slam is an unbelievable feat.

malakas
06-06-2009, 04:27 PM
lol you know,to see you all this nervous is kinda funny..:p

BTW,I just read in mtf that rafa's parents are divorcing..bad month for rafa.:?

P_Agony
06-06-2009, 04:28 PM
I'm just joking........what I'm trying to say is that I will be completely stunned because to beat both Nadal and Federer to win a grand slam is an unbelievable feat.

It is, but Soderling has been playing some unbelievable tennis the past two weeks so it's possible. Of course, after an easy win against Davy, Soderling looked unstoppable, but then came Gonzo and made him look human again (I still think Gonzo had that match in his hands). I think it'll depend on how Fed is playing rather than how Robin is playing.

seffina
06-06-2009, 04:29 PM

Wow, really, wow. It really is a bad month all around for him.

----------
I feel like I should be nervous... but I keep on just feeling confident.

P_Agony
06-06-2009, 04:30 PM

Poor Rafa. Injuries, losses, and now this? Ouch. Sometimes it's easy to forget they're just normal human beings.

thejoe
06-06-2009, 04:30 PM
Wow Rafa, bad month. Head up man :)

Serendipitous
06-06-2009, 04:31 PM
It is, but Soderling has been playing some unbelievable tennis the past two weeks so it's possible. Of course, after an easy win against Davy, Soderling looked unstoppable, but then came Gonzo and made him look human again (I still think Gonzo had that match in his hands). I think it'll depend on how Fed is playing rather than how Robin is playing.

I didn't get to see Soderling's matches with Davydenko and Gonzalez, unfortunately. :(

Did Soderling play worse against Gonzalez or did Gonzalez just play really well?

zagor
06-06-2009, 04:33 PM

Maybe but I think Soderling will still be controling most ralies with the way he's hitting this tourney,he will force Fed to scramble a lot although he does have a long swing so maybe Fed can take the ball on the rise and take some time away from Robin,don't let him set up his shots.

P_Agony
06-06-2009, 04:35 PM
I didn't get to see Soderling's matches with Davydenko and Gonzalez, unfortunately. :(

Did Soderling play worse against Gonzalez or did Gonzalez just play really well?

Soderling was in god mode for the first 2 sets and just blew Gonzo off the court. Gonzo was standing way behind the baseline and was on defense all the time. Soderling was barely making any errors and he just killed the short slice backhands from Gonzo. In the next 2 sets Soderling's backhand began to missfire a bit while Gonzo's forehand started to click and he was serving crazy (I think he hit 22 aces that match). Gonzo won sets 3 and 4 quite comfortably. The 5th looked like a direct sequel of the 4th with Gonzo breaking and leading 4-1 and Soderling just looked lost, but somehow he managed to step it up and come back to win the match. Gonzo was making silly errors in the end however.

angharad
06-06-2009, 04:36 PM

That's terrible. That's probably something else that's been impacting his play. Poor guy.

malakas
06-06-2009, 04:38 PM
That's terrible. That's probably something else that's been impacting his play. Poor guy.

according to spanish media they have been living separately for a year now,but since his sister is 18 now,maybe they decided to finish it.

angharad
06-06-2009, 04:48 PM
according to spanish media they have been living separately for a year now,but since his sister is 18 now,maybe they decided to finish it.

That's hard to deal with. I remember reading awhile back that there were problems between Rafa's mother and Toni Nadal, but I had no idea his parents were considering divorce.

No wonder he's taking some time off, I don't blame him even if he isn't injured.

VivalaVida
06-06-2009, 04:49 PM
I will get some major taunting from my friends if federer loses. ROFL

malakas
06-06-2009, 04:50 PM
I will get some major taunting from my friends if federer loses. ROFL

my friends don't even know who federer is..:cry: :cry: :cry:

JeMar
06-06-2009, 04:53 PM
He'll never win the French, but he'll get his 14th somewhere else.

VivalaVida
06-06-2009, 04:54 PM
really? That is unfortunate. :( Is tennis not popular in Greece?

seffina
06-06-2009, 04:54 PM

While mine aren't quite that bad, they only know Federer, Nadal, Roddick, and the Williams sisters. That's it. But they are sweet enough to throw a viewing party for the US Open final just for me every year. Of course last year, that party got rained out and I was in class during the final. Thankfully my professor was enough of a fan to let me stream the match on my laptop while in class. :p

I lie. The viewing party is usually for the start of football season. I just pretend it's for the US Open.

icedevil0289
06-06-2009, 04:58 PM
I'm not even sure what I'll be thinking, expect I'll probably be crying my eyes out.

malakas
06-06-2009, 05:01 PM
really? That is unfortunate. :( Is tennis not popular in Greece?

nope.It's considered too..elite.(not to say sissy!!:p)

While mine aren't quite that bad, they only know Federer, Nadal, Roddick, and the Williams sisters. That's it. But they are sweet enough to throw a viewing party for the US Open final just for me every year. Of course last year, that party got rained out and I was in class during the final. Thankfully my professor was enough of a fan to let me stream the match on my laptop while in class.

I lie. The viewing party is usually for the start of football season. I just pretend it's for the US Open.

haha!well one of my friends was bored and watched in tv nadal's loss (yes I'll make/bribe her to watch all of nadal's matches for Wimby!! :twisted: )so now we have a point of understanding.She at least recognises that "freaky guy with the pink shirt"!:mrgreen:

TonyB
06-06-2009, 05:03 PM
Let's face facts: Federer is nearing the end of his career and certainly is nearing the end of his individual dominance, if he hasn't reached it already. Every slam event from now until he retires becomes more and more critical. This COULD be Fed's last chance at the F.O., but nobody really knows. All we DO know is that next year will be harder for Fed to win. And the year after that will be even harder.

So in a sense, it is very important for him to win this one, because he's got a PRIME opportunity to win it (without Nadal in his way) and he's playing fairly well, he's not injured, he's got some comebacks under his belt, and his physical form seems pretty good. Next year, who knows what will happen.

Just as Fed took the A.O. as a crushing emotional defeat, he might take this year's F.O. even harder if he loses, especially to Soderling, who is outside of the top 10.

But all in all, tennis will go on. Federer will be forced to move on. The Earth will still revolve around the Sun. Life will go on. But Federer will definitely have a tougher time winning majors in the future, because he's definitely on the downswing in his career.

Serendipitous
06-06-2009, 05:14 PM

My friends don't know who the hell Ernests Gulbis is.

It's very depressing. :(

On the other hand, it's understandable because 99.9% of students at my high school don't care about tennis at all.

AprilFool
06-06-2009, 05:15 PM

If remember correctly you were one of the only posters defending Fed at that time, and you did so with great diplomatic flair.
I had never seen someone get so totally bashed on a forum before. Everything from his character to Mirka seemed fair game, and the drum beat was endless.
And actually it started after the French.