PDA

View Full Version : It's FUNNY not too many people now saying FEDERER NEEDS A COACH!!!!!!

Pretty-Boy
06-06-2009, 07:13 PM
Yea that's what a few wins in a row sways people's opinions. Goes for losses too!!!!!

Jchurch
06-06-2009, 07:16 PM
I still think he would benefit from a coach. The fact that he was able win as long as he did with out a coach speaks volumes of his ability as a player.

NamRanger
06-06-2009, 07:21 PM
Yea that's what a few wins in a row sways people's opinions. Goes for losses too!!!!!

Not really; only very, very, very recently had Federer FINALLY did a 180 on how he played clay tennis. Now, instead of trying to blow his opposition off the court, Federer is using the net to end points and disrupt his opponent's rhythm, is finally starting to use the slice more often, and use the dropshot.

Before Madrid, Federer was still playing like a chicken with his head cut off, almost totally predictable.

IvanAndreevich
06-06-2009, 07:21 PM
You forgot about switching to a larger frame.

If he loses tomorrow, though, all of this talk will start again.

Conquistador
06-06-2009, 07:25 PM
Remember the good ole days....

http://www.tennis-open.net/tennis_images/e24-h846-e49-a13Peter%20Lundgren.jpg

http://www.eyetennis.com/imghold/thumb_lundgren.jpg

NamRanger
06-06-2009, 07:26 PM

You mean when Federer played an intelligent game? Yeah. I remember those days. Only recently has Federer started to play his allcourt game again.

matchmaker
06-06-2009, 07:30 PM
Well, Federer seems to have been able to analyze his game a little after the Miami and Monte Carlo debacles.

He was out there without a strategy, with a failing FH and a hesitant serve.

He has made very good short term adaptations in using the drop shot in a splendid way on clay. I really think that shot has made him pull through several matches.

I still think the BH hit over the shoulder is a major weakness in his game, which he can try to solve by hitting slices, but they tend to sit up or be too short. Against guys like Monfils and Delpo you can get away with that, but against a fit Nadal and even Djokovic (who are smaller and move better) that can lead to troubles.

Luckily for him though, his strongest opposition showed up very weakly for this FO.

Let's see what happens at Wimbledon. Murray is going to be a huge crowd favorite and he knows how to play into Roger's weaknesses, so we might be hearing the same calls for Federer to take a coach after Wimbledon.

IvanAndreevich
06-06-2009, 07:32 PM
^^ His serve was sucking hard until his back has finally recovered.

yung goon
06-06-2009, 07:59 PM
i forgot that federer has been blowing people away in this tournament...

GuillermoR
06-06-2009, 08:03 PM
I still think the BH hit over the shoulder is a major weakness in his game, which he can try to solve by hitting slices, but they tend to sit up or be too short. Against guys like Monfils and Delpo you can get away with that, but against a fit Nadal and even Djokovic (who are smaller and move better) that can lead to troubles.

So Monfils is big and moves badly?
Still amazed by how people twist reality to prove an invalid point :???:

ronalditop
06-06-2009, 08:03 PM

Fed looks like a complete different person now.

featherlight
06-06-2009, 08:07 PM

anyone knows what his ex-coach name was

Fedexeon
06-06-2009, 08:12 PM
Peter Lundgren.

sh@de
06-06-2009, 08:13 PM
Peter Lundgren ^.

And, I still think he should get a coach. Just because he's achieving now doesn't mean he can't improve. He still has weaknesses, like the backhand above shoulder as somebody said.

defrule
06-06-2009, 08:14 PM
Looks like father and son in that picture.

daddy
06-06-2009, 08:19 PM
Im not sure what do you mean by saying this - not too many people say Federer needs a coach? Damn right he needs it, look at it from a wider perspective, dont be narrow. See, this is by far the hardest RG he had until the final. Never was he thretened as many times as this year ( Acassuso, Haas, Delpo ) and especially not from players of their caliber ( except Delpo ). See, if Nadal was awaiting in the final Im pretty much sure we'd have similar result to previous 4 times they met in RG and what then ?? So just because Rafa lost, Roger does not need a coach ? Cmon, this is his worst RG by far from 04 onwards. If he met Soderling in final in any of the past 4 years Id say its a done deal, but having in mind all the trouble Fed had this year, surprise is not ruled out.

Btw, which wins are you talking about ? He beat Rafa, yep, after Novak took him to over 4 hours one day earlier. Apart from that one ( ONE ) win, he pretty much lost all his encounters with top 4 players from USO last year, check if you like, I think Muzza and Rafa beat him 3 times each and Novak once.

daddy
06-06-2009, 08:24 PM
Peter Lundgren ^.

And, I still think he should get a coach. Just because he's achieving now doesn't mean he can't improve. He still has weaknesses, like the backhand above shoulder as somebody said.

Again not looking for a fight but what is he achieving ? As said, one win over other top 4 players in 8 meetings is not an achievement. Btw people were talking about him needing a coach when he was sweeping the field on clay apart from Nadal, he was mileas away from others, undisputed nr2 on clay. This year he vas on a virge of defeat twice and had a couple more tough matches ...

dh003i
06-06-2009, 08:35 PM
Well, Federer could probably use a coach; but he has clearly improved his strategy even without one. I'm curious what you think a coach is going to do to change he fact that a backhand with he grip Federer has has problems with high balls.

And have you not been paying attention this year? Soderling blew Nadal off the court. These guys have clearly been playing a _lot_ better this FO than in prior years. Outside of Monfils, the competition has clearly improved. Del Potro isn't the same player he was last year, or even a few weeks ago. Neither is Soderling.

So lets give the opposing players some credit.

daddy
06-06-2009, 08:43 PM
Well, Federer could probably use a coach; but he has clearly improved his strategy even without one. I'm curious what you think a coach is going to do to change he fact that a backhand with he grip Federer has has problems with high balls.

And have you not been paying attention this year? Soderling blew Nadal off the court. These guys have clearly been playing a _lot_ better this FO than in prior years. Outside of Monfils, the competition has clearly improved. Del Potro isn't the same player he was last year, or even a few weeks ago. Neither is Soderling.

So lets give the opposing players some credit.

Agree with you to some extent but still. Acassuso ? Haas ? And watch him, or if you have recordings of his game, he did not change anything apart from the droppers. Seems to work fine though, but his strategy is pretty much the same. Only change I noticed is that when he saw that Delpo was destroying his slices, he started returning top spin from BH side, risking a bit more, but he really had to. Still Delpo, whoa, 40% 1st serve in 5th ?

My impression - Fed would have lost one of these matches surely if the oponents did not drop their level as the game went on. Wilander pointed this out many times, as the match goes further he is keeping his level and others are dropping theirs. But still credit where credit is due, he seems in great shape phisicaly, which enables him to keep the same level in the 4th and 5th.

OliverSimon
06-06-2009, 08:57 PM
Here is the true coach he needs...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mulAi7cno2Y

sh@de
06-06-2009, 08:58 PM
Again not looking for a fight but what is he achieving ? As said, one win over other top 4 players in 8 meetings is not an achievement. Btw people were talking about him needing a coach when he was sweeping the field on clay apart from Nadal, he was mileas away from others, undisputed nr2 on clay. This year he vas on a virge of defeat twice and had a couple more tough matches ...

So winning a masters isn't achieving? Getting to the finals of the FO isn't achieving? They're achievements all right, he's not performing poorly at all I would say. And put it this way, having finally won once over other top 4 players in 8 meetings, how do you know that isn't a turn around? Do you have proof that he'll keep losing? Trying to take credit away from Federer's Madrid win is absurd, ludicrous even. At the level of professional sports, a win is a win, no matter what happened. If Nadal was tired in the finals, then that was because he was an inferior player to Federer in the whole tournament. The best player of the tournament wins, not the best player in the final or in a particular match.

That said, I am definitely of the opinion that Federer needs the coach. Look at how difficult the FO has been this year for him. An outside perspective I think will greatly benefit him.

joeri888
06-07-2009, 12:00 AM
Still feel he could use a coach. every player can. I think it could even help him settle his nerves. he must be going crazy.. Sitting,waiting for this afternoon.. not being able to talk to anyone about your gameplan and stuff like that. Sure, Mirka knows her tennis facts, but i isn't quite the same. Your wife should comfort your heart, your coach should comfort your brain.
I never said poorer results were because of his lack of a coach. I just think a top player like Federer could use one and must certainly be able to get one.