PDA

View Full Version : Why does Federer (& Djokovic) choose Halle over Queen's?

kevinrose
06-06-2009, 07:46 PM
Are there any reasons behind Roger's decision?

Also, any reasons for Novak's switch?

icedevil0289
06-06-2009, 07:48 PM
Because Nole seems to want to follow Roger around. I heard he is playing basel as well.

But really, I think it might have something to do with the fact that Halle has a roof so it could be good practice since wimbly now has a roof.

Nadal_Freak
06-06-2009, 07:48 PM
Novak switched because of his poor results last year at Wimbledon. He felt Queen's wasn't good preparation due to Queen's being much faster.

jamesblakefan#1
06-06-2009, 07:49 PM
They feel as though it is closer to the grass and playing conditions of Wimbledon, since grass in Queens is faster than Wimbledon grass.

BTW, are you this kevinrose?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Rose

GuillermoR
06-06-2009, 07:56 PM
For Novak it's the same. If he can't find his game, he just retires. For Roger, it's been a tradition. Once you win it, you are right back there to defend it.

vbranis
06-06-2009, 08:25 PM
Halle is closer to Switzerland, and Fed's native tongue is German. Maybe that has something to do with it.

daddy
06-06-2009, 08:28 PM
I can say for Novak since I know. It's pretty much overcrowded in Queens and conditions are better suited for preparation in Halle, from his mouth. In other words he expects to reach the finals and take a swipe at Fed, see where his grass court game is for real. Fed is playing Halle for more than a decade, thats prolly something he's used to or has a deal with organisers ... and as said it's close to home for him.

icedevil0289
06-06-2009, 08:30 PM
Anyways I'm glad Nole is playing Halle this year. There's some great players playing this year. Fed, Nole, Tsonga, Verdasco, should be a lot of fun.

dh003i
06-06-2009, 08:35 PM
Novak switched because of his poor results last year at Wimbledon. He felt Queen's wasn't good preparation due to Queen's being much faster.

Wimbledon should be made like Queens. Queens is better.

daddy
06-06-2009, 08:37 PM
Anyways I'm glad Nole is playing Halle this year. There's some great players playing this year. Fed, Nole, Tsonga, Verdasco, should be a lot of fun.

Im really interested to see how will Verdasco do on grass this year. Also Im eager to see Tsonga, he's a pretty massive guy, will he be able to prepare for shots and hit the balls as he does on other surfaces ... cause if he can, thats one guy you'd like to avoid.

Where's Delpo playing ? His game and maturing make him a contender. Btw should I remind people that Soderling led 2-0 in 2007 vs Rafa in Wimbledon before suffering a slight injury and brain cramping .. :D

zachattack698
06-06-2009, 08:44 PM
Im really interested to see how will Verdasco do on grass this year. Also Im eager to see Tsonga, he's a pretty massive guy, will he be able to prepare for shots and hit the balls as he does on other surfaces ... cause if he can, thats one guy you'd like to avoid.

Where's Delpo playing ? His game and maturing make him a contender. Btw should I remind people that Soderling led 2-0 in 2007 vs Rafa in Wimbledon before suffering a slight injury and brain cramping .. :D

Soderling never lead 2-0 in that match, he was down 0-2 and came back to bring it to a fifth set but lost that set 7-5 and the match 3-2

featherlight
06-06-2009, 09:17 PM
For Novak it's the same. If he can't find his game, he just retires. For Roger, it's been a tradition. Once you win it, you are right back there to defend it.

no that is not true last year he won the estoril open and he did not go back to defend it this year

vegeta SSJ4
06-06-2009, 10:42 PM
queens is still a good indication, nadal won last year and won wimbledon, roddick won a few times and got to the finals, and when hewitt won queens in 02 he went on to lift wimbledon.

now the draw is pretty lame in queens

nfor304
06-06-2009, 11:01 PM
apparently at Queens the grass is slightly faster and is almost too perfect, as in it doesnt give many bad bounces etc
Thats the reason Rafter didnt like to play queens, he felt Halle was closer to Wimbledons surface

Rhino
06-06-2009, 11:54 PM

Wow, so lots of people switched to Halle then, because I remember seeing tsonga and Verdasco at Queens too.

joeri888
06-06-2009, 11:56 PM
I think that with Federer it's mostly about holding on to the same schedule every year. If it ain't broken, don't fix it. He doesn't need to play Roddick, Nadal, Murray, Djokovic one week before Wimbledon. he just wants to get a good feel for the grasscourts, that's all. Halle also used to me around the same amount of points as Queen's I think?

It's downgraded this year, while it IMO has the best field in years.

lambielspins
06-07-2009, 04:25 AM
I think he feels confident against Roger. I dont think he can beat Roger on grass though.

Giggs The Red Devil
06-07-2009, 04:29 AM
Money, probably.

prince
06-07-2009, 04:36 AM
Money, probably.

bingo.... appearance money is probably better...