PDA

View Full Version : Rules help: Defaulting a line

OrangePower
06-06-2009, 07:48 PM
As I understand it, with the lineups exchanged as follows...

----------- Team A ----- Team B
1 Singles -- Andrew ----- Barry
2 Singles -- Arnold ------ Bill

...if Barry does not show up for Team B, then Bill gets moved up to #1 singles, and Team A benefits by getting a default win for #2 singles plus by having their #1 player Andrew play Team B's #2 (and please let's not stray into a discussion on stacking etc).

But today we ran into a situation where we were playing split shifts (#1 singles, #1 and #2 doubles first, and then #2 singles and #3 dubs later), and the opposing team's #1 singles didn't show. Their #2 singles player was not there either since he was only scheduled to play later.

So what are you supposed to do in this situation? Can't play their #2 at #1 since he's not there.

Maybe our #1 should have waited for their #2 to come later, and then play that as match #1? But our #1 was not able to stay that long.

What we ended up doing was sending our #1 home, playing our #2 against their #2 at the scheduled time (during the second shift), and recording that match as #1 singles (with #2 a default win for us).

Was this correct? If not, how should this have been handled?

innoVAShaun
06-06-2009, 08:43 PM
Yes Team A should get a singles win by default. Not showing up at the designated place at the designated time is grounds for default.

As for spot #1 or #2 on the scorecard, I'd say it be up to the captains. I've seen #1 singles defaulted before online, or the captains can post the results with the courts switched keeping the names in the right places.

amarone
06-11-2009, 12:51 AM
I don't know if the situation is addressed in your local rules, but playing split shifts, as you call it, is the norm in Atlanta. 1S and 1D play first, then 2S and 2D, then 3D. If a 1S/1D player doesn't turn up, that line is defaulted and then 2S/2D play each other as per the original line-up.

JLyon
06-11-2009, 05:06 AM
Defaults should go lowest line first, if you have already exchanged score cards then it is whatever match is a no show.

Cruzer
06-11-2009, 10:28 AM
But today we ran into a situation where we were playing split shifts (#1 singles, #1 and #2 doubles first, and then #2 singles and #3 dubs later), and the opposing team's #1 singles didn't show. Their #2 singles player was not there either since he was only scheduled to play later.

So what are you supposed to do in this situation? Can't play their #2 at #1 since he's not there.

If the guy playing number 1 singles on the opposing did not show up by 15 minutes after the scheduled match time then he defaulted and you win that match. The number 2 singles match could be played at whatever time it was scheduled. When the match score is recorded the defaulted singles match should be shown as the number 2 singles match to comply with the defaulting from the bottom up rule.

amarone
06-11-2009, 02:30 PM
When the match score is recorded the defaulted singles match should be shown as the number 2 singles match to comply with the defaulting from the bottom up rule. Do you have a cite for that? I cannot find it in any rules. TennisLink will certainly permit you to default the 1 singles.