PDA

View Full Version : How do top pros rotate through racquets?

@wright
04-06-2004, 12:49 PM
Do they play with a racquet until it breaks, or does fatigue set in early with racquets at that level of play? I'm sure they don't play with new racquets almost every time they play, can someone shed some light on the subject?

cantaloupe
04-06-2004, 03:47 PM
put one down, pick up another one :lol: .......not too hard if you ask me.

or if you are agassi, put one down, get one out of a bag, remove plastic bag, get aced again by Fed.....

Foo4Everlong
04-06-2004, 08:24 PM
No, cuz if your Andre Agassi, you have EIGHT (8) ****in' slams and SIXTEEN (16) Masters Series Titles, both, more than anyone playing tennis right now. And he's almost 34 and still beating top 5 players. And is third in the points race. Shall I go on......And the last time I looked Federer has only won the last three meetings dating back from the two matches in Houston and then Indian Wells, which Andre should have won. Before that Andre won the first three meetings.

Anyways, Andre switches racquets every ball change (7 and 9 games). He has them usually strung by JCS (Jay's Custom Stringing), who puts all racquets that they string in they're custom bag so they can be seen throughout the entire tennis world. In plastic, to me, means that the racquet is fresh. Meanwhile almost every pro has Jay string their racquets. Plastic or not. Other than that, I to, would like to know how the pros rotate their racquets according to use. How often do they receive new racquets to replace the old ones. Later

david aames
04-06-2004, 09:28 PM
I think very little is out there on the subject because that would bring light on the whole paintjob issue and relationships players have with the racquet manufacturers. Those guys probably don't have unlimited stashes since most of them use customized frames and paintjobs.

In the interview archived here with Nate Ferguson, I believe he mentioned how much racquets Sampras was playing with every year. Not that many esp considering that the guy was a chronic string breaker.

@wright
04-06-2004, 09:44 PM
I guess I was more interested in how they rotate and discard actual frames instead of string jobs. Do their racquets fatigue faster than our racquets due to heavy hitting and frequent use? Or do they discard their bats long before they would start to fatigue?

tnkGod4tns
04-07-2004, 05:16 AM
they probably have numbers on their rackets and keep track on how many times it's been strung and after so many string job they discard them and get a new one on the rotation.

Rabbit
04-07-2004, 06:01 AM
There was an interesting article about this in Tennis magazine some time ago. They gave Marcello Rios some rackets to play with and measured them after 6 months. It seems that the rackets lost 10% of their stiffness in that time. The article then went on to discuss the difference between pros and us. Rackets will generally not see that kind of wear and tear in the hands of a 4.5-5.0 for 3 - 5 years. 3.0 and under can keep a racket for a lifetime according to the article with no appreciable degredation. Fashion dictates otherwise, of course.

I have been told by an extremely reliable source that what the pros do is completely different by pro. There are some pros who prefer new frames, and some who prefer "broken in" frames. I've read more than once, that Ivan Lendl used to get his friends to hit with his frames before he did. Sergi Bruguera likes frames after they've been strung around 50 times. Other pros probably prefer brand new frames. I think it really is a personal preference.

I have a C10 that's been strung a bunch. It is more flexible than the other ones I have, and it's always been my favorite. I keep it out of the rotation now, I've got a couple of new ones that I'm using.

Pros are just like us in one respect, they all have their own system of doing things. Agassi borrowed from Lendl with his racket change. I heard Chris Evert mention when she was commentating that some of the girls now use rackets only once in a tournament. I have no idea if she was serious or not, but it wouldn't suprise me.

@wright
04-07-2004, 10:39 AM
Great info, Rabbit. I missed the article about Rios' racquets, too bad since he's my favorite player to watch.

tommytom11
04-07-2004, 06:56 PM
No, cuz if your Andre Agassi, you have EIGHT (8) censored' slams and SIXTEEN (16) Masters Series Titles, both, more than anyone playing tennis right now. And he's almost 34 and still beating top 5 players. And is third in the points race. Shall I go on......And the last time I looked Federer has only won the last three meetings dating back from the two matches in Houston and then Indian Wells, which Andre should have won. Before that Andre won the first three meetings.

Anyways, Andre switches racquets every ball change (7 and 9 games). He has them usually strung by JCS (Jay's Custom Stringing), who puts all racquets that they string in they're custom bag so they can be seen throughout the entire tennis world. In plastic, to me, means that the racquet is fresh. Meanwhile almost every pro has Jay string their racquets. Plastic or not. Other than that, I to, would like to know how the pros rotate their racquets according to use. How often do they receive new racquets to replace the old ones. Later

very well put. Andre is the man. you will notice this year that he no longer has JCS on his fresh racquet bags. his current stringer is now RPNY.

david aames
04-07-2004, 08:22 PM
very well put. Andre is the man. you will notice this year that he no longer has JCS on his fresh racquet bags. his current stringer is now RPNY.

Same place. They share the same floor on 51st st. Roman is not travelling, Jay does. Great guy BTW.

lajollatnsplyr
04-09-2004, 09:22 AM
Tennis Channel interviewed Agassi's stringer. He travels with him to all the tourneys. He said Agassi goes through nearly 150 rackets a year.

cantaloupe
04-09-2004, 01:02 PM
Tennis Channel interviewed Agassi's stringer. He travels with him to all the tourneys. He said Agassi goes through nearly 150 rackets a year. :shock: :shock:

Safin only smashes like 65 rackets a year, he would have to smash another 85 per year to catch up with andre's racquet usage.

150 rackets woule be more than enough to satisfy toronto's tennis community :lol:

04-14-2004, 09:44 AM
Hey Canataloupe, where do you play in T.O.? I play @ Davisville and Winston Churchill.

Stinkdyr
04-14-2004, 10:16 AM
Cantaloupe.....that is awesome about Gaggassi. I love when he gets that frustrated puppy look on his forehead as he is getting thrashed by the good players.

bsandy
04-14-2004, 11:21 AM
I bet Anastasia Myskina only uses a racquet once in a tournament. She has trouble getting one to last a game, the way she throws them around.

. . . Bud

cantaloupe
04-14-2004, 03:20 PM
yep myskina has got quite a temper for her small stature (in inferior complex maybe hehe), she also cusses her coach like you wouldn't believe when she misses a shot,

Ronaldo
04-14-2004, 08:29 PM
I would like to know how many pair of shoes these players go through a season? Always wondered if they subscribed to the Jordan philosophy of wearing new shoes daily? Just to have that sweet, breath of fresh air feeling of wearing a new pair. Or that incredible springy feel of a fresh set of strings. Or that snappy response of a new racquet. Or the lush, cushioned, light as air feel of new socks. It is all good.

david aames
04-14-2004, 09:01 PM
I would like to know how many pair of shoes these players go through a season? Always wondered if they subscribed to the Jordan philosophy of wearing new shoes daily? Just to have that sweet, breath of fresh air feeling of wearing a new pair. Or that incredible springy feel of a fresh set of strings. Or that snappy response of a new racquet. Or the lush, cushioned, light as air feel of new socks. It is all good.

Same as with racquets, it's most likely a matter of taste. I remember a player saying in an interview that he was changing shoes every week – off tournaments. I think it was Blake.