PDA

View Full Version : Product Placement in French Open Website?

NandoMania
06-07-2009, 01:16 AM
I don't know about you, but I for one do not appreciate having my opinion commercially massaged by the official website of the tournament.

"Tennis legend and Olympic medallist Andre Agassi, “Ambassador of Elegance” for Swiss watch brand Longines, on Thursday helped launch a limited edition Longines automatic timepiece honoring him. Proceeds from sales of the watch will go to support the Andre Agassi Charitable Foundation."
http://www.jckonline.com/article/CA6565398.html

There are two finalists, yet only one is promoted. I dont like the crass commerciality of it. Does it bother you at all?

http://i44.tinypic.com/28tgmlk.jpg

“I’m pulling for Roger because he’s earned this opportunity and in many respects deserves it. If it wasn’t for one freak of nature from Mallorca, and that’s a compliment where I come from, he would have won this tournament a few times."

http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/news/articles/2009-06-06/200906061244303188250.html

Let's assume Andre is wearing a Swiss Longines watch in that promotional picture. Calling Rafael Nadal a "freak of nature" ... did Longines write that line for him?:shock:

joeri888
06-07-2009, 01:23 AM
He said after freak of nature that that was a huge compliment in where Agassi's from. What is your problem? so Federer is a huge product, a huge player, making history and has 98% of the people that love tennis on his side today. Soderling should deal with it. As long as the umpire doesn't support Federer it really doesn't matter

Rhino
06-07-2009, 01:25 AM
people get way too upset about nothing on these forums. Endless threads about tiny little scraps of nothing in case they've uncovered a controversy somewhere.

*yawn* x10

NandoMania
06-07-2009, 01:33 AM
He said after freak of nature that that was a huge compliment in where Agassi's from. What is your problem? so Federer is a huge product, a huge player, making history and has 98% of the people that love tennis on his side today. Soderling should deal with it. As long as the umpire doesn't support Federer it really doesn't matter

"Freak of nature" is not a "huge compliment" in the USA! :roll: That statement is a way of lessening the accomplishment of Nadal.

Besides, there's a stinky smell: Agassi promotes the Swiss player, gets promoted by Swiss watchmaker, whose watch he wears in promotional commercials. It stinks of corporate self promotion, and the official French Open website is a part of it and is partisan.

In my opinion, the official website of any tournament should be impartial.

NandoMania
06-07-2009, 01:35 AM
people get way too upset about nothing on these forums. Endless threads about tiny little scraps of nothing in case they've uncovered a controversy somewhere.

*yawn* x10

Impartiality bores you. :rolleyes:

joeri888
06-07-2009, 01:36 AM
"Freak of nature" is not a "huge compliment" in the USA! :roll: That statement is a way of lessening the accomplishment of Nadal.

Besides, there's a stinky smell: Agassi promotes the Swiss player, gets promoted by Swiss watchmaker, whose watch he wears in promotional commercials. It stinks of corporate self promotion, and the official French Open website is a part of it and is partisan.

Agassi can promote anyone he wants right? He's got sponsors, he's a tennisfan and likes Roger. So what, Robin doesn't care he's hated by all players than he shouldn't care about this. Agassi wasn't saying anything negative about Nadal either:

“I’m pulling for Roger because he’s earned this opportunity and in many respects deserves it. If it wasn’t for one freak of nature from Mallorca, and that’s a compliment where I come from, he would have won this tournament a few times.

jamesblakefan#1
06-07-2009, 01:39 AM
"Freak of nature" is not a "huge compliment" in the USA!

Wrong.
10 char

lawrence
06-07-2009, 01:40 AM

in the context agassi used "freak of nature", it was a compliment.

NandoMania
06-07-2009, 01:43 AM
Agassi can promote anyone he wants right? He's got sponsors, he's a tennisfan and likes Roger. So what, Robin doesn't care he's hated by all players than he shouldn't care about this. Agassi wasn't saying anything negative about Nadal either:

You certainly sound like the maiden aunt gossip!!! You write about finalist Robin Soderlin that "he's hated by all players" :shock: Wow you must really be the locker room maid.

OTOH, I still believe that the OFFICIAL tournament website s/b IMPARTIAL, not in the business of promoting one finalist over the other. But that's just me.

Rhino
06-07-2009, 01:52 AM
OK, we're all a little bored here while we wait patiently for the final to start but where's the story here?

So Longines is Swiss... so what? So Agassi talks about Federer... so what? We're all talking about Federer, what do you expect?

So Agassi said "Freak of Nature" (and then qualified it straight away as being a compliment so that the gossip squad don't have a tantrum)... so what?

So Longines are sponsoring the Steffi/Andre thing... so what?

I just don't get where the interesting or controversial part of this is.

NandoMania
06-07-2009, 04:42 AM
in the context agassi used "freak of nature", it was a compliment.

That's quite obviously false, because in the same article on the official website in which agassi promotes federer along with a picture of him wearing his Longines watch, Agassi is quoted as also saying, "if it wasn’t for (four-time champion Rafael) Nadal, he probably would have won a handful of these things" THEN andre calls Rafa a "freak of nature." It all boils down to: None of the hard, hard work Nadal did, none of the conditioning, none of the years of practice to change from a NATURAL right hander, none of that matters. What matters is that he is a freak of nature, and IF he were NOT that FREAK, then Roger would have already beaten him at French Open.

That is a rotten slap in the face. How would he like it if that had been said about him after he had put in the years with Gil Reyes? That he, Andre, only won the FO because he is a FREAK OF NATURE????? No. He may not have meant to insult Rafael Nadal, but Andre Agassi did insult him. And the thing that's so disgusting is that the French Open WEBSITE, itself, is in on promoting Federer to win over Soderling. Agassi is licking the boots of the corporation Longines and Longines is one of the owners of the French Open. It's all sickeningly incestuous and below the belt, a kick in the gut to the other finalist Robin Soderling.

This kind of favoritism going into a "Championship Final" NEVER would have happened in the days before tennis tournaments were OWNED BY CORPORATIONS @ http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/about/partners.html

Longines is one of the corporations that owns Roland Garros/ French Open.
Putrid.

jamesblakefan#1
06-07-2009, 04:52 AM
That's quite obviously false, because in the same article on the official website in which agassi promotes federer along with a picture of him wearing his Longines watch, Agassi is quoted as also saying, "if it wasn’t for (four-time champion Rafael) Nadal, he probably would have won a handful of these things" THEN andre calls Rafa a "freak of nature." It all boils down to: None of the hard, hard work Nadal did, none of the conditioning, none of the years of practice to change from a NATURAL right hander, none of that matters. What matters is that he is a freak of nature, and IF he were NOT that FREAK, then Roger would have already beaten him at French Open.

That is a rotten slap in the face. How would he like it if that had been said about him after he had put in the years with Gil Reyes? That he, Andre, only won the FO because he is a FREAK OF NATURE????? No. He may not have meant to insult Rafael Nadal, but Andre Agassi did insult him. And the thing that's so disgusting is that the French Open WEBSITE, itself, is in on promoting Federer to win over Soderling. Agassi is licking the boots of the corporation Longines and Longines is one of the owners of the French Open. It's all sickeningly incestuous and below the belt, a kick in the gut to the other finalist Robin Soderling.

This kind of favoritism going into a "Championship Final" NEVER would have happened in the days before tennis tournaments were OWNED BY CORPORATIONS @ http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/about/partners.html

Longines is one of the corporations that owns Roland Garros/ French Open.
Putrid.

OK. SO let me get this right. Andre is insulting Nadal by saying he's a great player? You are a dope. No offense.

NandoMania
06-07-2009, 06:51 AM
OK. SO let me get this right. Andre is insulting Nadal by saying he's a great player? You are a dope. No offense.

I'd say the person who cannot read is the "dope," and that person is y-o-u.

Andre very clearly never once said Nadal is, as you falsely state, "a great player."

terryansimon
06-07-2009, 07:15 AM
you either have to be extremely talented and full of hard work to reach to where Nadal has gotten, or to be a freakish talent with incredible skills to get to where he has gotten.

or both.

people really need to stop reading into things that are non-existent.

NandoMania
06-07-2009, 07:37 AM
Rafael Nadal is not a "freak" in ANY sense of the word.

He's a player who WORKED very, very hard, day in and day out, week in and week out. He EARNED every, single title he ever won.

Tennis has gone into the toilet ever since it's been PWNED by the corporations.

miriam webster defines "freak" as: one that is markedly abnormal as: a person or animal having a physical oddity and appearing in a circus sideshow.

no. it is not a compliment. it is an insult, especially when the phrase "of nature" is added onto it.

terryansimon
06-07-2009, 08:12 AM
right, so now nobody can pay a compliment without having to consult the dictionary on every other word to make sure that people's knickers don't get bunched into a knot.

no pleasing everybody.

to me, and any reasonable person who isn't quick to the fires will see that as a compliment.

bobby
06-07-2009, 08:35 AM
Wrong.
10 char

X2

Rafael Nadal is not a "freak" in ANY sense of the word.

He's a player who WORKED very, very hard, day in and day out, week in and week out. He EARNED every, single title he ever won.

Tennis has gone into the toilet ever since it's been PWNED by the corporations.

miriam webster defines "freak" as: one that is markedly abnormal as: a person or animal having a physical oddity and appearing in a circus sideshow.

no. it is not a compliment. it is an insult, especially when the phrase "of nature" is added onto it.

Uhh. . . how old are you? Maybe you´re like an older person, and there´s some generational miscommunication issue going on here, but calling someone a "freak of nature" is a complement. Nadal is a freak, he´s bad, he´s sick, he´s disgusting. . . . get the point? If I were to pull out the merriam webster definition of `disgusting´, it wouldn´t be the same meaning we all know I´m using when I say, "Nadal is disgusting".

jamesblakefan#1
06-07-2009, 08:39 AM
Thank You! That Was A Sick Observation!

NandoMania
06-07-2009, 09:47 AM
right, so now nobody can pay a compliment without having to consult the dictionary on every other word to make sure that people's knickers don't get bunched into a knot.

no pleasing everybody.

to me, and any reasonable person who isn't quick to the fires will see that as a compliment.

You can pretend you dont understand the main point, which is that even if Agassi had not called Rafa a "freaK of nature" (BTW you dont need a dictionary to know that's an insult). not only is the word "freak" an well-known insult, but adding "of nature" indicates "natural," the result of "nature," the opposite of nurture. BUT anybody who knows anything about Rafa knows that his talents are not the result of nature, but the nurture of painstaking training, sacrifice, work, practice, etc.

The dirty little reality is that the French Open "official website" with that advertisement is nothing but an advertisement for the brands that own it: It wasnot informing interested fans about tennis. It stooped to the basest form of advertisement, namely, persuading fans which finalist they should support because that finalist is the one supported by the corporations who now own tennis in France.

sad it's sunk so low.

scineram
06-07-2009, 11:06 AM
You can pretend you dont understand the main point, which is that even iBUT anybody who knows anything about Rafa knows that his talents are not the result of nature, but the nurture of painstaking training, sacrifice, work, practice, etc.

LOL. Yes, anybody can be like Nadal and achieve the same things. You just have to want it.

CyBorg
06-07-2009, 11:09 AM
Roger Federer is the greatest of all time - this message is brought to you by Swiss watches.

Rinse, repeat, consume.

NandoMania
06-07-2009, 12:16 PM
LOL. Yes, anybody can be like Nadal and achieve the same things. You just have to want it.

Either that OR, as Andre Agassi said, be a "freak of nature."

If youre a "freak of nature" it doesnt take work. it just means you happened to be playing opposite the brand pusher roger federer on the day. that's why roger lost 4 times in a row according to the brand pusher Andre Agassi.

Hint: The whole reason there's an argument known as NATURE VS. NURTURE is because nature IS NOT THE SAME AS nurture.

oh yes. AND the brand pusher Roland Garros.
So pathetically transparent it's disgusting! Roland Garros is pwned!!! :mad:

scineram
06-07-2009, 12:26 PM
If youre a "freak of nature" it doesnt take work. it just means you happened to be playing opposite the brand pusher roger federer on the day. that's why roger lost 4 times in a row according to the brand pusher Andre Agassi.

You are a ****ing moron. The sooner you accept and learn to dealt with it the better for your future health.