PDA

View Full Version : Safina chokes and throws it all away again

hewittboy
06-07-2009, 04:07 AM
It was pathetic to see Safina throw away another slam title. What a horrible performance and choke. What can be done about this girl.

Lionheart392
06-07-2009, 04:28 AM
It was hard to watch. But it's not too late for her I believe. Kim Clijsters lost her first 4 grand slams finals, usually featuring chokes galore, but she eventually managed to win one. Maybe Safina should hire a sports therapist or psychologist or something. And good grief she needs to sort her serve out, especially in tight situations.

grafrules
06-07-2009, 04:57 AM
It was hard to watch. But it's not too late for her I believe. Kim Clijsters lost her first 4 grand slams finals, usually featuring chokes galore, but she eventually managed to win one. Maybe Safina should hire a sports therapist or psychologist or something. And good grief she needs to sort her serve out, especially in tight situations.

Who did she finally win against though? I think it was a 31 year old Mary Pierce in the final, LOL! Whenever she played Justine she still turned to silly putty.

matchmaker
06-07-2009, 05:00 AM
Who did she finally win against though? I think it was a 31 year old Mary Pierce in the final, LOL! Whenever she played Justine she still turned to silly putty.

I think tennis is about small details. Clijsters almost won her first GS final against Capriati on clay, her least favorite surface. She put up a huge fight, remained cool until past 6-6 in the last set and lost only by a hair.

Had she won that match, she might have been a lot tougher mentally in later finals.

One victory can give you confidence.

grafrules
06-07-2009, 05:02 AM
I think tennis is about small details. Clijsters almost won her first GS final against Capriati on clay, her least favorite surface. She put up a huge fight, remained cool until past 6-6 in the last set and lost only by a hair.

Had she won that match, she might have been a lot tougher mentally in later finals.

One victory can give you confidence.

I agree with that. It is a shame she didnt win that one, especialy if it would have made a big difference in her career. I consider her and Sabatini by far the two best players with only 1 slam title.

Lionheart392
06-07-2009, 08:28 AM

True, she never did get over her strange fear of Henin, in the slams anyway. As for Pierce, I see your point but she was playing some quality tennis in 2005 and beat Henin, Mauresmo and Dementieva to get to the final. In fact 2005 was probably her most consistent year ever, even if she didn't win a slam.

grafselesfan
06-07-2009, 08:48 AM
Pierce is a strange player. She went on like a 4 year sabatical between 2000-2005when she wasnt a contender at all then emerged for one last year as a major contender in 2005, then dissapeared for good pretty much. My feeling is that 2005 was the only year she felt like working again after 2000. While she has absolutely amazing ball striking talent, right up there with Davenport who are two of the most talented female ball strikers ever; like Davenport she lacks greatly in the athletic ability people like Graf, Williams, Henin, Clijsters have. So like Davenport she has to put in the work off the court to fulfill her vast potential, but she didnt put in the work as regularly as Davenport. Actually from 1994-2000 she put it in more regularly except for maybe mid 1995-1996 when she had coaching turmoil of sorts. After 2000 not really, I think winning the French was enough for her, and only in 2005 did she decide to really give it one last serious try instead of floating around like she had been for over 4 years.

ispaht
06-07-2009, 08:52 AM
She's just unlucky she has the same Marat's headcase gene.

maximo
06-07-2009, 08:53 AM
She doesn't deserve to be #1

Lionheart392
06-07-2009, 08:54 AM
She doesn't deserve to be #1

So who does?

tonyg11
06-07-2009, 09:08 AM
So who does?

Graf sitting at home watching cooking shows is more deserving of number 1 in the WTA right now.

Lionheart392
06-07-2009, 09:11 AM
Graf sitting at home watching cooking shows is more deserving of number 1 in the WTA right now.

Mmmmm I bet Steffi is a great cook :)