PDA

View Full Version : I always used to joke about this but...

Seany
06-07-2009, 09:03 AM
Is 20 slams a possibility?...I mean, he just knows how to win, and age really doesn't seem to affect him, this is probably going to be the 2nd best year of his career.

Just think about it, realistically speaking he can and most likely will win a couple of slams every year for at least another 3 years...and of course that would take him to 20, that wouldn't just re-write the record book, it would shred it to pieces!

He never ceases to amaze me...

Rexking
06-07-2009, 09:06 AM
Absolutely! For all the nay sayers, it is much harder to win the career grand slams in the open era than when 3 slams were all played on the same surface -grass. With 14 slams (including a career grand slams) and counting, Federer is definitely the greatest ever of the open era if not all time. But I think his records speak for themselves, Roger Federer IS THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME!

CONGRATULATIONS ROGER! VAMOS!

Conquistador
06-07-2009, 04:05 PM
20 slams will be a reality. Look at the way Federer played this week. Federer did not seem fatigued one bit. Federer is in the best shape of his life and is playing some of his best defensive tennis in his career.

GameSampras
06-07-2009, 04:07 PM
If he continues to get these types of draws as he did at the French, Hell 30 slams IS A POSSIBILITY

Marty502
06-07-2009, 04:10 PM
If he continues to get these types of draws as he did at the French, Hell 30 slams IS A POSSIBILITY

http://www.nqcc.org/nqccweb/htdocs/Training%20pg%20crying1.jpg

BigServer1
06-07-2009, 04:19 PM
I think that he could get close, if he just slays everyone the rest of the year. He's either 1a or 1b at Wimbledon, and he'll be the favorite at the US Open, and if he can find a way to win both...He could come close.

My guess is that he'll slow down next year and while he'll still be competing for Slams, he won't have the same ridiculous level that we've enjoyed for the past 5-6 years. Still, if he bags the last two of this season and wins another one or two next year, he could be at 17-18 and he'll only be 29...

Likely? No. Possible? Sure. After all, he just shocked everyone and won the title that no one thought he could win.

christos_liaskos
06-07-2009, 04:33 PM
I dont think so. I think he will win this Wimby, then next year and that will be it. And i'm a huge Fed fan, just see my post in this thread, post no74
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=266336&page=4
With younger players coming through on hard courts, and possibly a 5th player in the mix now with Del Potty, I think he will really struggle to win another on hard. And if you read my post in the other thread yuo will see why I think Rafa will regain the French next year

CyBorg
06-07-2009, 04:34 PM
I say 36, tops.

Nadal should retire.

bruce38
06-07-2009, 04:36 PM

What's wrong with you?? Seriously.

GameSampras
06-07-2009, 04:38 PM

I just call it how I see it. Realistically, if Fed can sidestep Nadal, Djoker, and Murray in the slams, he no doubt can reach 20 slams maybe even more. He can beat everyone else with consistency.

malakas
I think 2-3 more.A lot will depend on this year obviously.So if he manages to win USO and Wimby this year then maybe 20 totall he will get.

BTW,Sampras said that he thinks he will get 18.

VivalaVida
20? No way!

jukka1970
06-07-2009, 04:39 PM

oh boo hoo, someone's p'o'd because Sampras won't be in the spotlight. Get over it. He was never the best to begin with.

Rhino
06-07-2009, 04:39 PM

He's just p!ssed because there is no way from now on that Sampras can ever honestly be called the GOAT.

Andyk028
06-07-2009, 04:44 PM
definetly not..id say he makes it to 16 realistically

jukka1970
06-07-2009, 04:46 PM
Is 20 slams a possibility?...I mean, he just knows how to win, and age really doesn't seem to affect him, this is probably going to be the 2nd best year of his career.

Just think about it, realistically speaking he can and most likely will win a couple of slams every year for at least another 3 years...and of course that would take him to 20, that wouldn't just re-write the record book, it would shred it to pieces!

He never ceases to amaze me...

Given what's happened over the prior 2+ weeks, I think it's possible. I mean there are a lot of factors that have changed.

First and Foremost, we don't know what is going to happen with Nadal at Wimbledon. And I don't think we're going to know if it is a serious injury, or if he just tweaked the knee and is taking precaution.

Second, the big weight is now off Federer, he has the one slam he didn't own, and the run at Wimbledon was ended last year. where as if he had won it last year, he'd be going for his 7th in a row which no man or woman has ever done. So that pressure is gone.

Third, Djokovic is sliding a bit, I don't think he's quite as on the mark as he was last year, and Murray has passed him. And even though Murray has a winning record against him, he lost at the US Open, and still doesn't hold a slam title, while Djokovic does. But as I said, I think Djokovic is sliding a bit.

Now on the other hand, Del Potro has gotten much stronger, his ranking is up, and he is now a threat. Unlike the others that the media gives a push to when they make a finals (Baghdatis, Gonzalez) where they say this is the next upcomer, Del Potro is different. A lot of people were talking about him, when he was still a teenager and just starting to transition over to the Pro's. So right now, I think this is one of the wildcards on whether the 20 is possible.

And the other wild card is that Federer is getting older, and there are younger ones coming into the field. But Agassi, showed that you can still compete and win with age as well.

Jukka

jelle v
06-07-2009, 04:49 PM
GameSampras got pwnd by Marty502 :lol:

Anyway.. 20 seems a bit high.. on the other hand.. He has it in him to a couple pf USO's and Wimby's. I don't think that's unrealistic. We'll just have to wait and see. I'd be content if he gets to 15 or 16 :)

bruce38
06-07-2009, 04:58 PM
He's just p!ssed because there is no way from now on that Sampras can ever honestly be called the GOAT.

Yes I know, and it's understandable his feelings about Fed, but he can at least be sensible about it.

bruce38
06-07-2009, 05:01 PM
I just call it how I see it. Realistically, if Fed can sidestep Nadal, Djoker, and Murray in the slams, he no doubt can reach 20 slams maybe even more. He can beat everyone else with consistency.

But do you not see, that this is NOT side-stepping. Those guys are NOT making it to the big show. Fed is! 20 consecutive semis! That alone puts him head and shoulders above Sampras. This record shows how much greater he is than Nadal, who simply will not be able to maintain the same level of consistency whether it be due to injuries or lesser-than-Fed talent.

Conquistador
06-07-2009, 05:10 PM

Sampras used to do that.

wangs78
06-07-2009, 05:17 PM

He didn't sidestep anyone. These other players lost in earlier rounds plain and simple. Bottomline is none of these guys are as consistent as Fed and Fed has simply been having a mental block against these guys lately. I hope that now that the pressure has abated he'll be able to reassert his dominance against ALL players. Not saying he's going to go 10-0 against Nadal, Djokovic and Murray, just that these guys will really need to outplay an in-form Fed, because for the last 6 months they've basically been playing a Fed that has been subdued by tremendous pressure (not to mention a bad back).

malakas
06-07-2009, 05:20 PM
GameSampras wants so much to prove he's right,that he's ready to even discredit his own idol.He called him traitor.He said that he won multiple slams because the draws were easy and full of chockers..what else??
It's really pathetic.

GameSampras
06-07-2009, 05:23 PM
GameSampras wants so much to prove he's right,that he's ready to even discredit his own idol.He called him traitor.He said that he won multiple slams because the draws were easy and full of chockers..what else??
It's really pathetic.

Pete recanted what he said on the Charlie Rose interview a few months before the USO last year. Thats why I am saying what I am saying. He said he believe each era has its GOAT, so its hard to say who the GOAT overrall really is. Rose asked if Pete though Fed needed to win the French to prove he is GOAT, and pete said he doesnt believe in a ONE TRUE GOAT. So its not PATHETIC buddy.

Here: http://www.charlierose.com/view/interview/9205

For youre viewing pleasure. Before u call me pathetic.

So now all of a sudden Fed is GOAT? A bit different echo than what Pete had before. Also in 2007 he said, there is many good players in today's era but very few Greats.

So bottom line is. Pete is doing nothing but following the Fed bandwagon with the rest of the sheep. It wont last though. Level headed people call it how it really is.. A CAKEWALK Fed needed to even the RG title. When the media hooplah ends, then will look at it more objectively