PDA

View Full Version : Typical USTA match or Exception to the Rule ? SandBagged and STACKED.

Fedace
06-07-2009, 09:55 AM
Probably this isn't really a typical incident. but Yesterday, i was Sandbagged and Stacked at the same time at #2 doubles. I was playing USTA 4.5 league match. and met this new guy at #2 doubles. I didn't know anything about him except that he was a self-rated 4.5 player. and i knew his partner, middle of the road 4.5 guy, nothing special. but we got blown out, 6-0, 6-1. I was wondering what was going on ??? and the guy wasn't exactly bright, he was telling me that he was playing division 1 tennis just 2 years ago and he played #2 doubles and #2 singles for the team. Oh and as far as stacking....
#1 doubles -- we won in straight sets.
#2 doubles --yours truly,, blown out, bagel and a breadstick
#3 doubles -- we won in 3 sets.
#1 and #2 singles both goes to 3 sets and we won both. :shock:

WBF
06-07-2009, 09:59 AM
In highschool and college tennis it can be easy to determine whether stacking is occurring. You can play challenge matches and watch during practices...

During USTA tennis? Do you guys play much outside of the weekly match? Might be harder to figure out where to put people. Particularly when you consider politics such as who has played on the team longer, intangibles like who might make better teams, etc.

raiden031
06-07-2009, 10:02 AM
I would say thats probably very typical of the top teams in the league to have some self-rated player(s) way out of level and playing at #2 or #3 spots.

Fedace
06-07-2009, 10:02 AM
^^This guy was so far and above better than everyone else on their team that you can't help it but notice. He was actually very worried that he might get DQed if he keeps playing his best tennis. Guy said when he was in college, he could easily serve around 118-120 mph and have about 60-70% 1st serves in. Not to mention having pinpoint control.

Fedace
06-07-2009, 10:03 AM
And he said he wasn't playing singles cause if he does he might get discovered too quickly..... whatever that means...

Swissv2
06-07-2009, 10:10 AM
4.5 is a tricky rating to play in. You get individuals that could be easily 5.0 and up who self rates themselves to play on a 4.5 team, or who was invited by the captain that had been drooling over their skill.

One of the 4.5 matches I watched was between a kid who was the singles champion in his state championships and a guy that just played tennis casually and for fun. To say the least, the match was quite short and single sided.

I am curious if there are 5.0 leagues in your area, and if so, how many teams are there in that league. In some cases, there are very few 5.0 players to make a particular region competitive so most of the players end up self rating and moving down to play 4.5

Fedace
06-07-2009, 10:18 AM
^^You are right, Very few teams in 5.0. but then he clearly should have played at #1 spot, not #2 with another solid #2 doubles player...

WBF
06-07-2009, 10:36 AM
^^You are right, Very few teams in 5.0. but then he clearly should have played at #1 spot, not #2 with another solid #2 doubles player...

Fedace: You said he was playing college tennis 2 years ago. If his captain knew this or not, it can still be risky putting a young player against good doubles teams. Doubles places more importance on touch and experience, something younger players often lack.

Heck, my captain put me at third doubles with a new college kid. We both knew the kid was decent at singles, but had no idea how he would handle doubles.

Had a similar result to yours :p

goober
06-07-2009, 10:54 AM
File a grievance or wait for him to be DQ'ed. I don't see what is the big deal. You admitted yourself that you played college tennis and called yourself 5.0 yet you played on a 4.0 team in Dallas after college. Can we say biggest hypocrite ever?

For someone who has been playing league tennis as long as you have it is amazing you didn't know that stacking is not illegal and in fact doesn't even exist since the USTA does not require you to play players in order of strength.

Fedace
06-07-2009, 11:22 AM
Fedace: You said he was playing college tennis 2 years ago. If his captain knew this or not, it can still be risky putting a young player against good doubles teams. Doubles places more importance on touch and experience, something younger players often lack.

Heck, my captain put me at third doubles with a new college kid. We both knew the kid was decent at singles, but had no idea how he would handle doubles.

Had a similar result to yours :p

I know what you mean by touch and experience. but this guy played #2 doubles for his team as well as singles. In today's game especially in division 1 college, they put high priority in doubles. because the doubles point can often mean winning or losing since the singles are often evenly matched up. So in today's college tennis, they play good solid percentage tennis with Power to boot.

quest01
06-07-2009, 12:15 PM
You are just making excuses, the reason you guys lost the doubles match was because you were simply outplayed. They were just better then you guys thats all.

I won my usta match on clay Saturday 6-0, 6-0 in around 30 minutes. We continued to play more sets and won them all 6-0, it was a piece of cake and hardly broke a sweat.

royer
06-07-2009, 09:26 PM
File a grievance or wait for him to be DQ'ed. I don't see what is the big deal. You admitted yourself that you played college tennis and called yourself 5.0 yet you played on a 4.0 team in Dallas after college. Can we say biggest hypocrite ever?

Right! This complaint is coming from a guy (Fedace) who recently encouraged a guy to "throw" or "tank" a couple of matches to keep from being bumped up in rating.

Here's the thread link: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=266410

Sounds like karma to me, and karma rocks!

Perry the Platypus
06-08-2009, 10:10 AM
Fedace's life will be less complicated when he realizes that in most sections stacking does not exist as there is no rule requiring teams to line up according to strength. Sounds like he very well may have been the victim of a sandbagger though........