PDA

View Full Version : Kudos to Soderling AND his sportsmanship

kanamit
06-07-2009, 10:07 AM
What a great run Robin had these past two weeks. Too bad he couldn't make it more competitive in the end. Also, I have a great respect for the sportsmanship he showed today both on the court and after.

From his post-match presser: "But it's always ‑‑ you know,every time I played Roger, after the match I always said, I played so bad today. Now I learned that it's not that I played bad, he makes me play bad. So that's what's so difficult playing against him."

THAT is what I call giving credit. Serena Williams would do well to take a lesson from this guy.

icedevil0289
06-07-2009, 10:08 AM
Yup! I've officially become a soderling fan!

Staiger
06-07-2009, 10:12 AM
Yes , he was very gracious in defeat , and very charming ... all the best to him. I remember there was a thread yesterday on here saying that Soderling is a weirdo and doesnt speak much .emmmmmm who was that ?

icedevil0289
06-07-2009, 10:24 AM
I just saw the ceremony and I loved soderling's speech. I had to laugh at the "yoking", but he was so sweet!

Dgpsx7
06-07-2009, 10:27 AM
I wasn't a big fan of Soderling before but I really liked how he handled himself today on the podium. I also have to say that his girlfriend is beautiful and my total respect for him today went up tenfold.

Serendipitous
06-07-2009, 10:30 AM
Soderling showed great sportsmanship and a great attitude throughout the whole tournament.

He played very well and deserved to be in the final.

I hope he continues his success in the future.

yebo
06-07-2009, 10:32 AM
i lold at
'nobody beats soderling 11 times in a row'

angharad
06-07-2009, 10:32 AM
Yes , he was very gracious in defeat , and very charming ... all the best to him. I remember there was a thread yesterday on here saying that Soderling is a weirdo and doesnt speak much .emmmmmm who was that ?

I don't think it was so much that Soderling was a "weirdo", just that he didn't really talk to other players all that much, and was seen by some as being anti-social.

He showed a lot of class and grace, today, and I hope his exemplary behaviour here wipes out any preconceived notions people have about the guy.

SaunderS
06-07-2009, 10:48 AM
"i was yoking with my coach before the match"

Rafter4ever
06-07-2009, 10:59 AM
Yup! I've officially become a soderling fan!

Count me in too. I always root for underdogs and had a chance to see Sod in the Challenger event this March and love his forehand, he played Burdych that day and beat him easily in his first match in Sunrise.

All the talk of him being anti-social and his '07 saga with Rafa can be forgotten now.

Good luck Sod in Wimby, hope you go far again!!

DarthFed
06-07-2009, 11:01 AM
Im definitely a fan now...i used to dislike him..i remember rooting against him during Baghdatis...

I gained respect for him in Rome..he lost that first set 6-1..but anyone who watched the match would it was much closer than that..

Then he beats Nadal..i liked him for doing so but it was shallow..but then he beats Davy and Gonzo..proving himself to be a competitor

Then today..he shows what a cool guy he his..and his woman is HOT

Im definitely a Soderling fan..love the serve..and despite how ugly people say it is...i like the huge back swinging FH

joeri888
06-07-2009, 11:02 AM
Soderling has won some people over this week. everybody makes mistakes and maybe this is a mental turn-around for him. He's had two great weeks and his speech at the end was very funny IMO. I think both the weather-joke (How does that guy pronounce joke anyway) and the nobody beats me eleven times-joke were quite good if you just lost a slamfinal

He's a good kid I guess, but he needs to learn to control his temper and try to be more social with the rest of the tour. That might do him some good in the future.

icedevil0289
06-07-2009, 11:04 AM
"i was yoking with my coach before the match"

yeah haha. I was like wait, what's yoking? Then I realized he was saying joking.

alcap26
06-07-2009, 11:05 AM
Soderling showed today that he was a true sportsman in defeat. This years French Open has really opened my eyes towards certain players and I have lost respect for some (Monfils). Congrats to Roger and good luck Soderling in the future. If he keeps playing the way he did this tournament he will be in the top 10 in no time.

Syfo-Dias
06-07-2009, 11:08 AM
I completely agree. Methinks Serena could learn a thing or two from Robin when it comes to sportsmanship and graciousness in defeat.

DunlopDood
06-07-2009, 11:28 AM
Take note people, just because John Mcenroe or Mary Carillo say that Soderling is quirky or anti-social during the NBC broadcast doesn't mean it's true.

shadows
06-07-2009, 11:33 AM
i lold at
'nobody beats soderling 11 times in a row'

haha that was excellent, I really thought his speech was lovely. He spoke clearly, thanked the people who needed to be thanking, and he joked a little as well which was nice.

He seems a nice guy really, I hope he can move on from here ^^

Cesc Fabregas
06-07-2009, 11:35 AM
Well its a trophy presentation he's not gonna start swearing at Federer during it.

TennisFan481
06-07-2009, 12:22 PM
We don't actually know any of these guys, but he was certainly a good sport about this.

Rafter4ever
06-07-2009, 12:45 PM
Well its a trophy presentation he's not gonna start swearing at Federer during it.

Yes, true. What else could he have said?.....But, takes a MAN to say that his opponent "...showed me how to play the game of tennis..." Usually, the finalist uses the same old cliche thats been said since day one.

bhallic24
06-07-2009, 12:54 PM
Yes, true. What else could he have said?.....But, takes a MAN to say that his opponent "...showed me how to play the game of tennis..." Usually, the finalist uses the same old cliche thats been said since day one.

absolutely backing you up on that statement. Takes a big big man to say what he said in the opening of his speech that "Roger Federer taught him how to play tennis today." Those are words you'd never hear outta that B$tch Serena or her uglier sister Venus. Well done Sod, great run, hope ya have many more but not at the expense of Rfed. Haha.

Frankc
06-07-2009, 12:55 PM
Agreed - great thread - watching someone over these two weeks can be very enjoyable - great class - wonderful balance with the interview and podium words...

Golden Retriever
06-07-2009, 12:56 PM
Sadly Soderling probably would lose to Federer 11 times or more.

Rafter4ever
06-07-2009, 01:08 PM
absolutely backing you up on that statement. Takes a big big man to say what he said in the opening of his speech that "Roger Federer taught him how to play tennis today." Those are words you'd never hear outta that B$tch Serena or her uglier sister Venus. Well done Sod, great run, hope ya have many more but not at the expense of Rfed. Haha.

After Sod made that statement, Fed kinda looked down and shoke his head and mumbled "no, i did not..." or something of that nature, Great moment for both players.

ElSuegro
06-07-2009, 01:53 PM
I thought Soderling did some good damage control today with his behavior, maybe won some fans back, maybe not. He still has some ugly incidents with Nadal and others, but will things be different from now on now that he had such a good run at a slam?

TennisNinja
06-07-2009, 01:57 PM

Agreed. I really thought that was nice and overall his speech was pretty entertaining as well.

Gorecki
06-07-2009, 02:00 PM
bad day fo N_F

Fed wins FO because Nadal was kicked out by Soderling while the later shows the best Sportsmanship onecan ask for a runner up!