PDA

View Full Version : Should Roger get a bodyguard?

cueboyzn
06-07-2009, 11:30 AM
The incident that happened in the final today was eerie and utterly shocking. :evil:

For a moment I thought of back when i was a kid and Monica Seles got stabbed in the back an her career cruelly derailed. The French Open security guards were embarrassingly slow to react, that guy should never have been allowed to even get NEAR Federer. And lucky for them (and all of us tennis fans) there was no bodily harm intended...

Can you just imagine God forbid that someone had been able to harm Roger Federer on Court in the middle of an all-important Grand Slam Final? :cry:

This then begs the question, should Roger go the route of Tiger Woods and employ his own bodyguard/s at tennis events from here on? With the French now elevating his profile in Tennis and World Sport even further (as if that were even possible, but im sure it has) surely he has to now realize there are people out there would would want to see his career come to a premature end? Surely he can no longer rely only on the security provided at these tournaments, and take precautions for his own safety?

I speak as a Federer fan and a tennis fan and someone who was deeply shocked by what happened on court today, even though it turned out not to be as serious as it could have been.

Blue Drop
06-07-2009, 11:50 AM
I'm guessing some heads will roll and security will tighten up even more at future matches. I'm not a fan of pointing fingers, but I feel like if your job is security and you let someone come in contact with one of the two players, then you failed at your job.

joeri888
06-07-2009, 11:59 AM
He does have bodyguards, but they don't guard him during the match. That's up to the tournament direction. If Federer had lost his service game the game after the incident and had gone on to lose the match the Roland Garros tournament would get absolutely slated everywhere. Glad no such a think happened.

Jim Jumper had one of his 'great performances' again. It was a very freaky incident and I really didn't like it. Especially the fact that he was touching Federer

IvanAndreevich
06-07-2009, 12:03 PM
He needs a sniper to cover him. Took those guys a LONG time to get out there and finally catch that ****.

jmverdugo
06-07-2009, 12:04 PM
He does have one but she is pregnant right now :) .... sorry j/k

Defcon
06-07-2009, 12:16 PM
The three idiot guards who tried to catch him were slow, and once he outran them they just stopped and stood there.

Pascal Maria showed more speed than the guards. Shameful.

DunlopDood
06-07-2009, 12:24 PM
Yeah, I heard Kevin Costner is in search of employment.

Ross K
06-07-2009, 12:31 PM
In all seriousness, it was a disgrace that some loon was able to actually get his hands on Fed... heads should roll and Fed should get his security team involved when he plays... the horrific precedent of Monica Seles has already been set.

imalil2gangsta4u
06-07-2009, 12:35 PM
He should have just handled that guy himself.

isuk@tennis
06-07-2009, 12:41 PM
what!?!
what set this happen in?

crash1929
06-07-2009, 12:52 PM
hard to believe this happened again at the fo luckily no harm was done THIS time.

Ross K
06-07-2009, 01:01 PM
what!?!
what set this happen in?

Don't know if this will get pulled but anyway...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw2-QCXVN2s

BTW, The more I see it the more I can't believe Fed had to face this guy coming towards and trying to get at him and rubbing some flag all over him (I think.) The mind boggles at the thought of what might have happened had the bloke been carrying a weapon. The French security team's failure to prevent this nut-job going 1 on 1 with Fed for a few (if potentially lethal) seconds as well as their keystone cops routine in trying too chase him down is completely unacceptable... no wonder Fed lost his concentration for a short while thereafter?!... actually doesn't it show his immense character that he got over it so relatively quickly?

rogerfederer26
06-07-2009, 02:15 PM
After this unfortunate scary incident, Federer should get his own protection! I thought tennis officials had “learned their lesson” after the Monica Seles incident. Apparently they got complacent again. Something horrible could have happened had the man had violent intentions.

joeri888
06-07-2009, 02:17 PM
it was Jimmy Jumper right? The guy that also handled Luis Figo during Real Madrid-Barcelona with a barca flag, and other stuff like that. The guy even has a website and is notorious as well for running on the circuit of a Formule 1 Grandprix

sandflea
06-07-2009, 02:18 PM
I will donate my services if he wants it....

Love Game
06-07-2009, 02:21 PM
Should Roger get a bodyguard?

yes. did you read the article where roger explains how he gets swamped by fans even when he's driving down the street? he said people actually get out of their cars at the red light to come up to him and how he cant go anywhere without people swarming him and asking for his autograph and telling him they love him.

Serendipitous
06-07-2009, 02:22 PM
Federer doesn't need a body guard.

This incident just goes to show that security should be a little tighter at the French Open and they should react faster.

The guy went right up to Roger for a few seconds and nothing happened until security woke up.

angharad
06-07-2009, 02:26 PM
BTW, The more I see it the more I can't believe Fed had to face this guy coming towards and trying to get at him and rubbing some flag all over him (I think.)

In his press conference afterwards, Federer said that he'd dealt with stuff like this before. They normally just run through the court though, because they're doing it for some other reason. I guess one guy even apologized to him.

The difference here - which may explain the security lag - is that the guy got so close to Federer. I don't think it happens very often that the intruder goes after one of the players.

Love Game
06-07-2009, 02:30 PM
In his press conference afterwards, Federer said that he'd dealt with stuff like this before. They normally just run through the court though, because they're doing it for some other reason. I guess one guy even apologized to him.

The difference here - which may explain the security lag - is that the guy got so close to Federer. I don't think it happens very often that the intruder goes after one of the players.

yes. but that's the problem. that's how monica seles got stabbed in the back by a spectator who rushed on court. security is supposed to intercept those types of people. and especially now that roger is going to have a child. the world has become one big gangland, and one of their favorite crimes is kidnapping. off court, i'd be very surprised if roger doesnt already have personal security.

angharad
06-07-2009, 02:32 PM
yes. but that's the problem. that's how monica seles got stabbed in the back by a spectator who rushed on court. security is supposed to intercept those types of people. and especially now that roger is going to have a child. the world has become one big gangland, and one of their favorite crimes is kidnapping.

i'd be very surprised if roger doesnt already have personal security.

Trust me, I'm not arguing with you. It's kind of sad that the chair ump reacted faster than any of the hired security. I'm pretty sure Roger has personal security, at least when at tournaments and the like.

ElSuegro
06-07-2009, 02:46 PM
At least the idiot didn't have a knife...

I was kind of hoping Federer would beat him over the head with his racket.

Satch
06-07-2009, 04:10 PM
He does have one but she is pregnant right now :) .... sorry j/k

lol ahahahahha

vbranis
06-07-2009, 05:25 PM
I think the U.S. Open is the most secure GS. There are always several bodyguards sitting in between the court and the stands. On the changeovers, they all stand up, and face the crowd to see if anyone is acting suspicious. I am sure those guys would've stopped "Jimmy Jump" or whatever his name is before he got to Fed.

Note the guy in the yellow shirt:http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1101/1354962549_85308cd56c.jpg?v=0

Grover Sparkman
06-07-2009, 05:37 PM
At least the idiot didn't have a knife...

I was kind of hoping Federer would beat him over the head with his racket.

I wish he had done that also. I wouldn't have blamed him one bit. But, I bet he was in concentration (as any player would be) and was extremely confused by what happened, and probably just trying to get out of the way.

Arzon
06-07-2009, 05:40 PM
security guards should be ball boys.

dh003i
06-07-2009, 05:48 PM
I think that at tournaments, each player ought to be allowed to have a guard present on their side of the court.

If they can't afford one, the tournament can post a security guard down there on the court.

pound cat
06-07-2009, 05:49 PM
The incident that happened in the final today was eerie and utterly shocking. :evil:

For a moment I thought of back when i was a kid and Monica Seles got stabbed in the back an her career cruelly derailed. The French Open security guards were embarrassingly slow to react, that guy should never have been allowed to even get NEAR Federer. And lucky for them (and all of us tennis fans) there was no bodily harm intended...

Can you just imagine God forbid that someone had been able to harm Roger Federer on Court in the middle of an all-important Grand Slam Final? :cry:

This then begs the question, should Roger go the route of Tiger Woods and employ his own bodyguard/s at tennis events from here on? With the French now elevating his profile in Tennis and World Sport even further (as if that were even possible, but im sure it has) surely he has to now realize there are people out there would would want to see his career come to a premature end? Surely he can no longer rely only on the security provided at these tournaments, and take precautions for his own safety?

I speak as a Federer fan and a tennis fan and someone who was deeply shocked by what happened on court today, even though it turned out not to be as serious as it could have been.

What would be the duties of the body guard be? To stand 5 feet behind him when he served? To run with him at every point in case some person would charge Federer as he was about to hit an ol fh?To stand behind him when he sat down for changeovers...snipers on the roof line at tournaments?A bodyguard for his entire family?

No, I don't think a bodyguard would work. Just ask the CIA or whoever it is in the USA who would know about these things.

dincuss
06-07-2009, 06:31 PM
Im pretty sure he probably has one...

FedSampras
06-07-2009, 07:50 PM

the secuirty lapse is absolutely inexcusable!!! one would think security would be more agile and fit to catch and subdue the person more quickly. this was a disaster; had the culprit had a weapon this could and would be a very different situation. i hope the tennis officials review this thoroughly and make marked changes. just imagine if something would have happened to Roger. how can tennis let something like this happen after the violent attack on Monica Seles????

baseline08thrasher
06-07-2009, 07:56 PM
That was one of the scariest things ever....

toptalent
06-07-2009, 08:09 PM
If someone does intend to *kill* Federer, body guards simply won't be effective. How can they stop a sniper rifile?

If it's just a guy with a knife trying to make a stab, Federer should handle him okay with his racquet. Remember his Eastern forehand grip allows him to more effectively hit through the offender's head, resulting in a deadly heavy contact with plenty of pace; meanwhile the incredible amount of racquet head speed will generate enough topspin to ensure that the head lands in court should it fall off the body so that the audience won't be soiled with blood or brain. Furthermore, Federer's straight arm hitting technique ensures that the contact point is relatively well in front of his body, so that the offender and his knife should not even come close before the 27inch racquet strikes. Finally remember Federer is capable of hitting hard either from a fully loaded position or on the run, so even the fastest hitman won't escape the holy blow.

PrinceMoron
06-09-2009, 03:54 AM
Guy's "name is (Allegedly)Jaume Marquet Cot. It`s the same guy that threw the FC Barcelona flag at Figo in 2004 Euro final between Portugal and Greece."

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/5145/getslikaoriginalphp1v.jpg

PrinceMoron
06-09-2009, 03:58 AM
Actually, Roger is safe at Wimbledon as the only people who can get tickets are geriatrics who have been LTA members since the war, old ladies knitting who think Henman is on next. All the rest have been queuing in the rain for tickets for 3 days so they have pneumonia and can hardly walk.

billnepill
06-09-2009, 04:15 AM
This incident only proves imo that the security is a joke at FO. The "fan" had enough time to do whatever he wants to do to Federer. It brought memories of previous events that marked the tennis history and it ain't funny at all. It could've been everyone. It takes just one sick mind to decide to do to hurt a player and the execution would be easy as we witnessed.

I think that there is a big necessity of security measures, especially at GS tournaments. This guy got a lot of attention. What would have happened, if a sick mind stabbed him and he died? I can't imagine, but it's possible. Good to know.

PrinceMoron
06-09-2009, 04:20 AM
http://www.jimmyjump.com/cont/main.php?id=3

billnepill
06-09-2009, 04:35 AM
yeah , a closer look at "Jimmy" :
http://streakerfilm.com/

Maybe, FO that was his easiest "performance".

harrpau7
06-09-2009, 04:36 AM
This Jimmy Jump guy is a tool, if you read his Wikipedia page he does this all the time.

He needs to be banned from all sporting events, I wish Fed had punched him!

Kudos to Fed for putting it out of mind and winning, and then being able to laugh about it afterwards.

delphi17
06-09-2009, 04:59 AM
The three idiot guards who tried to catch him were slow, and once he outran them they just stopped and stood there.

Pascal Maria showed more speed than the guards. Shameful.

the three guards were trying to make sure that federer is safe first, before pursuing the idiot..
they are just trying to make a living here..
lets not forget this jump jump guy is a professional in doing this, sometimes it isnt so easy to stop a pro..

Stinkdyr
06-09-2009, 05:06 AM
"We caught him, Mr. Federer, don't worry. Sorry that JumpyJam had time to get at you to stab you first. But we caught him after and we will take him to court. Hope it doesn't take you as long to recover as it took Seles, that was a shame too."

delphi17
06-09-2009, 05:11 AM
"We caught him, Mr. Federer, don't worry. Sorry that JumpyJam had time to get at you to stab you first. But we caught him after and we will take him to court. Hope it doesn't take you as long to recover as it took Seles, that was a shame too."

its easy to talk about it like this way,
but unless they are playing in cages with 500 watts electricity fence, somehow somewhere someone will eventually break through, unless they start treating every fan like a criminal, one will eventually break through..

maddogz32
06-09-2009, 10:58 AM
he should get the guy who tackled the guy who ran onto the court in the finals at French Open to be his bodyguard

vandre
06-09-2009, 01:43 PM
seriously, someone with some time on their hands should lay this song

http://www.maximumdonline.com/themes/benhill.wav

over this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw2-QCXVN2s

now make it so!!!!

seriously, security was a joke. the scariest fact was that this idiot was able to touch fed. i guess i'm the only one who remembers the monica seles stabbing :confused:. not. but there should have been no way a spectator could run onto the court and touch one of the players. never. the guy was harmless this time (just stupid) but next time they might not be.

Marius_Hancu
06-09-2009, 02:16 PM
Definitely. Which such incompetents ...

Leublu tennis
06-09-2009, 02:18 PM
Absolutely. All the ball "boys" should be beefy guys. And no more slinky models either.

kanamit
06-09-2009, 02:18 PM
Yeah, I heard Kevin Costner is in search of employment.

LOL! Too funny.