PDA

View Full Version : New Federer

joemanblues
06-07-2009, 10:53 AM
Does anyone else think that after winning the French Open we will see Federer become dominant once again, I think this huge win will give him the confidence that he can use new tactics (Drop Shot), and of course continue to improve his backhand of which I saw flashes of his 04-06 backhand, I think Federer became somewhat humble by realizing that the drop shot is a valid stroke and that he needs to take criticism of his now slightly better backhand to heart and work on it ?

scineram
06-07-2009, 11:21 AM
No. Too many up and comers. Tsonga and Juan Martin will be hard on hard.

DarthFed
06-07-2009, 11:25 AM
He will be in Teni Muho No Kiwame for a while

He'll be all Zen and free swinging...when people do that look what happens to them (Soderling, Tsonga at the AO 08)

icedevil0289
06-07-2009, 11:27 AM
I don't know. Fed really didn't do too much after the USO last year. In fact after beating murray, he went on to lose to him twice that year. Basel was the only tournament he won after that. I just think that roger peaks for slams and ends up playing his best during them.

joeri888
06-07-2009, 11:29 AM
He won't dominate like he used to. On the other hand him winning Wimbledon and the Us Open wouldn't surprise me. I just think he'll still have his losses as well and W,US, and TMC will be too much for sure. He won't dominate, but could be the leader of the pack for a few months or maybe a year again. Eventually, he'll never be in his prime like he was in 2006, but it'll always be a great player and one to take into account at ANY Grandslam. If Safin could make semis at Wimbledon last year (7 years past his prime, arguably worst surface, Federer's got the talent to do it in 5 years from now for sure).

I don't see him in his 2006 dominance though

fps
06-07-2009, 11:31 AM
don't know. he played some amazing tennis this tournament, he really did, and definitely deserved to win it.

that said, nadal and djokovic did not play to their potential, and murray is a huge threat on hards, and he didn't play them. i cannot see him "dominating" these three, although the progress in his game in the last few months is there for all to see, and makes his winning more slams more likely. he's a notch up on 08 for sure this year, he was very close to winning the AO also.

raiden031
06-07-2009, 11:31 AM
I don't think he will get more dominant because he's getting too old. He will hang in there near the top for a while, maybe win a few more slams, but it just depends on how guys like djoker and murray and other newcomers do.

As a fed fan I feel like this is the biggest day in tennis history. I finally feel like Fed has accomplished all he needed, and really could retire tomorrow and would feel completely satisfied. He no longer really has anything to prove to anyone, as he has proven to any reasonable person that he is the best. History will show that what he's done will not be repeated.

Any slam he wins from this point on is just like icing on the cake. It would be nice if he breaks the record and wins 15, but i don't think that's such a big deal after winning the career slam and proving he is a great, dominant player on all surfaces.

ispaht
06-07-2009, 11:37 AM
It should lift him, but not to the same level as he was four of five years ago. Roger is at the point in his career wherein slams is the biggest priority.

Defcon
06-07-2009, 11:55 AM
The day Fed starts losing in slams to anyone other than the very best (he has only lost to a top 5 player and only to the winner) is the day you can start talking about his decline.

Everything else is meaningless, and Fed during slams is a very very different animal.

Golden Retriever
06-07-2009, 11:59 AM
On the contrary, he might starts to fad because he has already achieved everything he wanted to acheive.

cueboyzn
06-07-2009, 12:17 PM
The day Fed starts losing in slams to anyone other than the very best (he has only lost to a top 5 player and only to the winner) is the day you can start talking about his decline.

Everything else is meaningless, and Fed during slams is a very very different animal.

This is 1 of the most intelligent posts in this forum. Amazing how many people still don't realize the part in bold.

johnmcc516
06-07-2009, 12:20 PM
If I were him I would want one more slam to be able to hold the outright number alone. After that, it is all about making it that much harder for the next greatest.

I don't think he will get more dominant because he's getting too old. He will hang in there near the top for a while, maybe win a few more slams, but it just depends on how guys like djoker and murray and other newcomers do.

As a fed fan I feel like this is the biggest day in tennis history. I finally feel like Fed has accomplished all he needed, and really could retire tomorrow and would feel completely satisfied. He no longer really has anything to prove to anyone, as he has proven to any reasonable person that he is the best. History will show that what he's done will not be repeated.

Any slam he wins from this point on is just like icing on the cake. It would be nice if he breaks the record and wins 15, but i don't think that's such a big deal after winning the career slam and proving he is a great, dominant player on all surfaces.

Dimitrov_Fan
06-07-2009, 12:21 PM
great new technique of dropping shots!

thejoe
06-07-2009, 12:32 PM
I can see him winning Wimbledon. I couldn't before.

Cesc Fabregas
06-07-2009, 12:33 PM
Federer's form after winning the USO last year was pretty poor so I wouldn't be so sure.

TennisFan481
06-07-2009, 12:39 PM
Federer had a bad back down the stretch last year. I know he lost a couple of indoor matches, but that was also the case in 2007. I actually think his game shines the most indoors, but the same can be said for several other players (Nalbandian, David comes to mind).

His main competition will be Andy Murray, as it seems Nadal's style of play might be catching up to him...not to mention, Murray's kind of the #2 on those fast hardcourts these days, anyway.

And Federer's due to beat Murray. All of Murray's wins (with the exception of that Cinci 06 shock) have been fairly close...gone the full 3 sets.

The main concern with Federer is whether or not he'll have the same drive he has had, now that he's basically got a full house that nobody can beat.

Conquistador
06-07-2009, 02:44 PM
Federer will be dominant. He will be tough to beat. People think 27 is old, not for someone who moves as gracefully as Fed.

Jchurch
06-07-2009, 02:54 PM
Federer will be dominant. He will be tough to beat. People think 27 is old, not for someone who moves as gracefully as Fed.

Agreed. Especially if Nadal is out for an extended period of time. As Pete said, "Federer will continue to show up for the slams" He is at his best in best of 5 sets. I am interested to see how his serve will be working on hard court. He was serving like a beast these past two tournaments. I am really interested to especially see how his kick serve will work on hard courts. I think Federer could add another 4 to 6 slams possibly. I was also happy to hear that Federer realized he needs to get back into tip top shape.

Purostaff
06-07-2009, 03:17 PM
He will regain #1 this year for sure... god I love that kid.

mercuryguy
06-07-2009, 03:31 PM
I would like to see Fed bring his A+ game to every slam like he always does and during the regular season play good tennis during the masters.

Today was one of my most satisfying today watching Fed win his 14th at RG

pricey_aus
06-07-2009, 03:32 PM
No. Too many up and comers. Tsonga and Juan Martin will be hard on hard.

hahah hard on hard

sorry bit of immaturity coming through there.

But in all seriousness, I think he could regain some of the 'aura' that he had. It's all about confidence for Fed. If he can regain the confidence from this thread, he can go back to the No. 1 in the world, IMO