PDA

View Full Version : The Grigor Dimitrov Fan Thread

Pages : [1] 2

Dimitrov_Fan
06-07-2009, 12:04 PM
I've decided to open a thread dedicated to Grigor Dimitrov. Some of you may have heard of him, but for those who haven't i've done a little research to enlighten you all to who he is.
__________________________________________________ _______________

Grigor Dimitrov is an 18 year old tennis player from Bulgaria.

Currently ranked: #344

ATP Career titles: 0
ITF Career titles: 3 Futures titles (1 clay, 2 hard)

The rising star from Bulgaria is not most notable for his ATP achievements just yet but, rather, his promising Junior Career.

Dimitrov is the 2008 Junior Wimbledon and 2008 Junior U.S. Open Champion. Dimitrov's Wimbledon title comes exactly 10 years after Federer's Junior Wimbledon titles (Federer, like Dimitrov, went on to begin his first year on the men's circuit the following year). He was also the runner up for the 2007 Junior U.S. Open.

Although Dimitrov began his professional career last year by winning his first 3 futures tournaments and participating in his first ATP tournaments, 2009 marks the first year of his full participation on the adult ATP circuit. His current coach is Peter Lundgren, known as the former coach of Roger Federer (also a Junior Wimbledon Champion).

So far the highlight of Grigor's 2009 season is the Round of 16 in Rotterdam, where he beat Thomas Berdych 4-6, 6-3, 6-4 before losing to current world #1 Rafael Nadal 5-7, 6-3, 6-2.

He is currently participating in the Queen's Club tournament as a wildcard, facing Ivan Navarro in the first round.

Let's go Grigor!:)
http://www.welovetennis.fr/medias/images/grigor%20dimitrov1.jpg

rfedererfan
06-07-2009, 12:08 PM
He's the highest ranked player in my country now, i'm proud to be bulgarian :) He comes from a town named Haskovo

Dimitrov_Fan
06-09-2009, 10:38 AM
Monday June 8 -
Grigor Dimitrov defeats Ivan Navarro of Spain (ranked #82) 6-4, 4-6, 6-3 to move to the second round of the 2009 AEGON Championships where he will face Gilles Simon of France (ranked #7) for a spot in the third round.

C'mon Grigor, you can do it!!

tacou
06-09-2009, 11:01 AM
any live streams of his match against simon?

shadows
06-09-2009, 11:23 AM
it's supposed to be on centre, I know the bbc will cover it so I'll be very much looking forward to that.

they had a nice little interview with him today as well, wonder if anyone might rip and upload that sometime.

billnepill
06-09-2009, 11:28 AM
Great thread!

I'm looking forward to his match tomorrow :)

Arsenal4o
06-09-2009, 11:31 AM
Размажи ги Гришо.

Grigor almost crushed Nadal a couple of months ago...Fed's former coach Lundgren trains Grisho.
Remember the name people...future top 10 player...

Serendipitous
06-09-2009, 11:32 AM
I hope he does well in the future!

RalphNYC
06-09-2009, 11:34 AM
Размажи ги Гришо.

Grigor almost crushed Nadal a couple of months ago...Fed's former coach Lundgren trains Grisho.

Did you see his match against Nadal? How was it?

shadows
06-09-2009, 11:38 AM
Did you see his match against Nadal? How was it?

The first set in 4 parts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XueeqsAs5KA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSO6pwhttO8&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PRSB-a8ldE&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRC8aCOyoJQ&feature=related

Grigor took a set off Rafa but Rafa came through 7-5 3-6 6-2, he's obviously still developing and if he doesn't step up to the occasion it could plausibly be a blow out vs Simon, but he's got some grass pedigree (jnr wimby champ) and he pushed Simon to 3 in Marseille.

stanfordtennis alum
06-09-2009, 12:39 PM
good win for dimitrov today

Blinkism
06-09-2009, 12:51 PM
I think he could do it against Simon. I mean, he lost to him in a tight 3-set match earlier this year in Marseilles, but that was one of his first ATP tournaments (might have been the very first, actually, I don't know), but after beating Berdych and taking a set off of Nadal in Rotterdam, I think Dimitrov has confidence on his side and his game is definitely a good match-up against Simon.

It'll be more mental than physical, IMO, when the two meet up.
I'll be rooting for Dimitrov, though. No offence to Simon, but Grisho is more exciting!!

jelle v
06-09-2009, 12:53 PM
Размажи ги Гришо.

A lot of posters on this board have known the name now for quite some time.. especially after his results in Rotterdam.

vtmike
06-09-2009, 01:00 PM
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0eAG6vIcfibHk/610x.jpg

ClubHoUno
06-10-2009, 04:50 PM
i'm a huge fan already - he reminds me of how Sampras and Federe played at that age.

Good serve, good forehand, good backhand slice, good at the net not good a returner of serve though, and like Sampras and Fed his OHB looks to crack slightly under pressure.

I'm most definitely a fan of this young guy :)

sheets
06-10-2009, 05:18 PM
Definitely a fan. he almost seems to me like a hybrid of Federer and Gasquet.

THESEXPISTOL
06-10-2009, 05:19 PM
Wow...
This kid is insane for his age..
That 1HB will destroy top10 players soon (almost did it today)

Gugafan
06-10-2009, 06:02 PM
Nice pic vtmike. He really does get some fanstastic extension on his OHBH.

It's only a matter of time before he puts together some big performances on the world stage.

leonidas1982
06-10-2009, 06:08 PM
What are the chances Wilson and Nike snatch him away from Head/Adidas? Wilson likes these type of players.

Conquistador
06-10-2009, 06:09 PM
He has a great coach............
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42765000/jpg/_42765709_lund_getty_203.jpg

THESEXPISTOL
06-10-2009, 06:11 PM
I guess that he doesn't have a sponsor from Adidas since his socks today did not had the adidas logo..

Surfie
06-10-2009, 09:05 PM
Well he just lost to Simon 76(7) 76(5)
so it was tight. Not to bad for an 18th year old against no 7 in the world.

He can only learn from this

zagor
06-10-2009, 09:08 PM
Yeah Simon match was close,maybe inexperience cost Dimitrov a bit in that match.Love the BH however,one of the best looking one handers I've seen lately.

imalil2gangsta4u
06-10-2009, 09:09 PM
Ok seriously, i wouldnt get that hyped up about this kid so early.

Dimitrov_Fan
06-10-2009, 09:10 PM
Well he just lost to Simon 76(7) 76(5)
so it was tight. Not to bad for an 18th year old against no 7 in the world.

He can only learn from this

This the best result he could have hoped for if he was going to lose. It means he only has some smaller step to improve in order to compete with guys in the top 20. But I don't think he's at the level of beating guys in the Top 5.

6rump
06-10-2009, 09:14 PM
NO, not yet... Don't expect too much from this boy now.... maybe 2 or 3 years from now he can really show his ability..... I really want to see how this guy can handle the top 20 guys next two years....

nevergiveup
06-10-2009, 09:17 PM
In a another thread he was reported to string as low as 40/42 lbs. After watching him playing in Queens it's kinda hard to believe, a typo maybe. Can someone confirm his tension?

jelle v
06-11-2009, 01:09 AM
Watching him yesterday, I wasn't that impressed with his grass performance.. He plays better on hard court i think.

Halba
06-11-2009, 01:25 AM
Watching him yesterday, I wasn't that impressed with his grass performance.. He plays better on hard court i think.

simon is not one of the greatest grass courters anyway. he is a hard court player through and through.

difficult to see much in the result.

jelle v
06-11-2009, 01:31 AM
simon is not one of the greatest grass courters anyway. he is a hard court player through and through.

difficult to see much in the result.

i was talking about Dimitrov.. since this is a Dimitrov fan thread ;)

shadows
06-11-2009, 02:21 AM
and given Grisha took a set off Simon in Rotterdam, your point probably still stands Jelle ^^

I'd like to watch him play more than once on grass before judging his performances on it, I'd also like to see him play when he didn't seem to be slipping all over the place too xD

SempreSami
06-11-2009, 03:43 AM
I guess that he doesn't have a sponsor from Adidas since his socks today did not had the adidas logo..

But yet everything else he's worn on court over the past year has been up to date with the adidas lines?

You folk are all lame, I was sat with all the corporate jollies on centre court and thought Dimitrov was awesome, a first serve of 135mph that really whistles off the racquet and an immense forehand down the line when he runs on to it. And then there's his backhand. What about when he managed to stretch to reach a seemingly impossible to reach ball on his backhand? The kid's exciting, no doubt.

FlamEnemY
06-11-2009, 04:17 AM
I have a few observations about his game...
1st, he is really an aggressive baseliner with good volley skills, so he may very well develope a more complete all-around game with the help of Lundgren. He has power and feel and his serve is great, even at 18 yo. He seems to have problem with the footwork though...
2nd, he lost a close match to a mentally tough player. So? He can only learn from this experience. Seriously, people see that he has the ability to win a certain match but lacks the experience to capitalise on the big points. Besides, where were the great players when they were 18yo ? Becker is an exception, don't even mention players like Nadal and Hewitt because their style is so different than Dimitrov's. His game is built around veriety and shot selection, he has a good two, three, four years until he really matures and finds his game.

Oui, c'est moi.
06-11-2009, 10:33 AM
Yeah Simon match was close,maybe inexperience cost Dimitrov a bit in that match.Love the BH however,one of the best looking one handers I've seen lately.
Agree.

He looked great in black, if i may say so.

http://www.jamd.com/search/q/Gilles%20Simon/c/30/page/1

jman
06-11-2009, 11:53 AM
Just a few observations I made looking at this photo.
It looks like his got a Eastern Forehand grip, same as Fed and Sampras. Not to sure about his backhand grip though. Does anybody know?
It's good to see he's dressing like a champion just like Fed.
The only thing that concerns me about this photo, are the bandages around his knees. This can't be a good sign for the a 18 year old. I hope they are there for precaution.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say his first Grandslam win will be Wimbledon or U.S Open.

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q134/jdamayo/88392658.jpg

SempreSami
06-11-2009, 12:47 PM
Like a champion? For all we know he might be a fan of Johnny Cash.

vtmike
06-11-2009, 01:05 PM
http://d.yimg.com/i/ng/sp/empics/20080706/18/3733446104-tennis-wimbledon-championships-2008-day-thirteen-england-club.jpg

In tennis terms, it’s verging on sacrilege to compare any player with Roger Federer.

But there has been a buzz about the Wimbledon and US junior champion, the young Bulgarian Grigor Dimitrov, that is hard to ignore.

The astute organisers at the Aegon tournament in London this week offered the star-in-waiting a wild card and suddenly the British public saw the future—and it was Federer-shaped!

Dimitrov’s match against No. 3 seed Gilles Simon was a close affair that went to two tie breaks. It drew the very best out of the Frenchman—especially on his perfectly-timed forehand—to win this match. Anything less would have handed Dimitrov a famous victory.

But all those watching now know that it is only a matter of time until this awesome Bulgarian talent starts to grace the finals of major tournaments around the world. Just about the time, in fact, that Federer will be ready to hang up his own racket.

It’s hard to move beyond the dark slanting eyes, angular cheekbones and loose, slender build.

It’s even harder to overlook the dark cropped curls bound by a black bandana.

And then it’s impossible to ignore the all-black strip so reminiscent of Federer’s “Vogue” season. There are physical echoes aplenty.

In another piece of déjà vu, Peter Lundgren, who coached Federer during the vital years leading up to his first Wimbledon title, has taken on the coaching duties of Dimitrov since February. What’s more, Lundgren is reported to have said that his new charge is even more talented than his earlier one.

But it’s the tennis itself that delivers the real evidence.

The first shot that hits you between the eyes is Dimitrov’s backhand. This is that rare thing, a single-hander that produces a Federer-like sweep back from the chest, and with such whip that the racket-head all but strikes him between the shoulders. What’s more, he plays perfect slice and down-the-line top spin with equal aptitude.

It is fast, flexible, and effective and could become his signature shot as his game evolves.

Then he is already delivering a serve that is faster than Federer’s, and from a near identical action: feet placed one behind the other and knees sinking into a swaying explosion. Though the variety of spin and direction has still to evolve, the Dimitrov serve has enormous potential.

Move to the forehand. He can direct it across court and inside out. It is fast and adaptable. While it does not yet have the variety of Federer’s killer shot, that will undoubtedly develop.

What is most striking, though, is the body movement as he delivers it: that pivot off the leading leg, trail leg lifted, in copybook Federer style.

Dimitrov is also showing talent at the net, and a willingness to come in and use soft wrists to angle shots to both sides. Add to that the odd drop shot, sliced and curving, and it’s as though he’s been mentored by the Swiss master himself.

Yet on top of this package, Dimitrov has speed, mobility, and eagerness. He runs everything down yet makes fast decisions in his shot-choice.

Are there any weaknesses in this young man?

In all honesty, most of the failings of this 18-year-old can be attributed directly to his age and inexperience.

Dimitrov is 6'2" and still leggy and slightly underdeveloped physically but is growing and has plenty of time to build his upper-body and leg bulk.

If there’s a small question mark about long-term ambitions on a Federer scale, it is the worrying sign of straps around his knees—perhaps a hint of over extension before his body has grown into its mature stature.

While he’s taking many leaves out of the book of his idol Federer, he should maybe also take one out of Rafael Nadal’s.

And as a first step in doing so, he needs to control the excited puppy in him so that he does not over-reach and strain his groin and legs. He slipped alarmingly, and several times, on the grass at Queen's in his eagerness to reach every ball.

Though he also suffers from the occasional miss-hit through this enthusiastic and attacking play, he will learn to rein that in a little. He and his growing band of admirers must remember, though, that these are the very qualities that have made Federer’s game so attractive and charismatic.

Dimitrov is a genuinely exciting player: fluid, energetic, and possessing both creativity and execution in his shot-making. And he would seem, already, to have that combination of intensity and control that Federer, by his own admission, struggled to master until well beyond 18. So perhaps Lundgren is right!

Based on feedback from the BBC correspondents, Dimitrov is also personable, charming, and multilingual. Ring any bells?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/196576-grigor-dimitrov-the-young-roger-federer-in-waiting/page/2

yellowoctopus
06-11-2009, 01:14 PM
The only thing that concerns me about this photo, are the bandages around his knees. This can't be a good sign for the a 18 year old. I hope they are there for precaution.
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q134/jdamayo/88392658.jpg

My thought too when I first saw the photographs.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say his first Grandslam win will be Wimbledon or U.S Open.

It would be great to see him take Federer or Nadal, or both out in one of these tournaments

SempreSami
06-11-2009, 01:23 PM
To compare his game with Federer's is fine by me, I saw some Fed in him (in a non-incriminating way) when I was at Queen's yesterday. But to go on to compare physical appearance is just going a bit far. Yes he wears a headband but his hair is nothing like Federer's.

And he doesn't have a stupid nose.

Blinkism
06-11-2009, 01:25 PM
In tennis terms...etc,etc,etc...Ring any bells?

Great post vtmike! I totally agree with everything your saying and I see all the Fed-Dimitrov parallels and I have to say he shows the same promise Fed did.

Fed's problem was mental, I think Grigor's is physical (he doesn't seem to choke or buckle under pressure like a young Fed did).

If he can fine-tune his game, play smart, and get fit, then he'll definitely be a Top 10 player at the very least because he's got the talent and technique to play on the big stage.

Not to mention the added bonus of bringing tennis to Bulgaria (which is primarily a soccer nation). The spread of the sport is something all of us tennis fans should be looking forward too!

FlamEnemY
06-11-2009, 01:43 PM
Let's just hope that those straps are only precaution and nothing serious.

epicsocks
06-11-2009, 02:23 PM
Count me in.

Dimitrov = Federer 2.0 :twisted:

jman
06-11-2009, 02:55 PM
My thought too when I first saw the photographs.

It would be great to see him take Federer or Nadal, or both out in one of these tournaments

How freaky would it be if Dimitrov did what Federer did to Sampras in Wimbledon 2001. Changing of the Guard due soon??

Dream_On
06-11-2009, 02:57 PM
How freaky would it be if Dimitrov did what Federer did to Sampras in Wimbledon 2001. Changing of the Guard due soon??

Would have to be in wimbledon 2011 though

Which is why I predict he will win wimbledon in 2013
And the uso in 2013
and the australian in 2014
and the french in 2019

jman
06-11-2009, 03:03 PM
Would have to be in wimbledon 2011 though

Which is why I predict he will win wimbledon in 2013
And the uso in 2013
and the australian in 2014
and the french in 2019

It would definitly be a case of history repeating itself if those events happened at 2011. It would be freaky strange if he beat Fed in Wimby 4th round in 5 tight sets...

DoubleDeuce
06-11-2009, 06:26 PM
His game looks good.

Lundgren said he is more talented than Federer?

I hope he keeps the hopes for the one handed BH alive,
I will keep an eye on him, very promising.

ormynameisntbill
06-11-2009, 07:12 PM
sick forehand...combo of safin and fed.

safins forehand and rogers sick backhand.

martinrousev
06-18-2009, 01:14 AM
Count me a regular in this thread!

malakas
06-18-2009, 01:52 AM
I like Grisho,and I can definitely see the parallels with Fed.
But don't forget that Fed's carreer also depended a lot on condition and not getting injured.I hope Grigor takes care of his knees and his body,and he has a great future ahead of him.:)

malakas
06-18-2009, 03:35 AM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/jun/18/wimbledon-peter-lundgren-grigor-dimitrov
Peter Lundgren had tears in his eyes; Grigor Dimitrov had stars. Together they watched Roger Federer win his historic French Open title on television in the players' lounge at Queen's – Lundgren, Federer's coach in his formative years, Dimitrov the Bulgarian teenager being talked of as the next great talent to hit ­tennis. He was the Wimbledon and US Open junior ­champion last year and next week he will play in the Wimbledon main draw for the first time.

Dimitrov's talent is abundant and obvious. The serve is loose and free flowing; the backhand a glorious shot that is reminiscent of Federer, though ­Lundgren believes that the 18-year-old is better than the Swiss was at the same age. It might seem a huge burden of expectation to carry but for the moment Dimitrov appears like any other teenager, at least off court. He plays pool and table tennis with Lundgren and gets his knuckles rapped when he leaves his wallet in the locker room. The Swede, who worked for a short time with Britain's Davis Cup squad, is part mentor, part friend, part surrogate father.

"Grigor has got all the strokes," he said. "He has the serve, the slice, topspin, everything. He just needs to get stronger, that's all. Above all he has the fire, the will to win."

At Queen's Dimitrov lost to France's Gilles Simon, the world No7, whose shot selection on vital points emphasised how much Dimitrov has, for all his talent, yet to learn. The two clasped hands at the net, with the young Bulgarian being politeness personified as he left the court. But once inside the clubhouse he let out a huge yell and then sat unmoving in the locker room, his head in his hands, for 20 ­minutes. The loss hurt.

Lundgren, who received a message from Federer after Roland Garros, ­thanking him for always believing in him, remembered how difficult the early days had been with the often volatile young Swiss. "Roger was tough at the beginning. He did not have the motivation sometimes. He was lazy." Then came a dramatic turnaround.

"It's fantastic to see how much he has learned though all the years," said Lund­gren. "It makes me very proud but at times it was very frustrating. Roger had to go through that and Grigor is the same. They have to make the mistakes to understand. Eventually they get there but for talented people it takes longer. Grigor is a bit further on than Roger was but, when Roger decided to go, he went so fast that nobody could really understand it."

Lundgren and Dimitrov, who is currently ranked just inside the world's top 350, teamed up early this year, at the Mouratoglou academy in Paris. Their first tournament together was in Rotterdam, when Dimitrov beat Thomas Berdych, a top-10 player two years ago, and then took a set off the world No1, Rafael Nadal. Lundgren, however, was not there to see it.

"It was a weird start," he said. "I had to fly home because my father had a stroke. But Grigor is such a good kid to work with, very smart. A quick learner, listens well and understands the game."

Dimitrov's father, Dimitar, coached his son. "He has done a fantastic job, and its nice he is still involved," said Lundgren. "I want him to be part of it and he's a good guy. It's not distracting me at all. He helps me actually. It's all working really well.".

Dimitrov's confident start on the ATP Tour in Rotterdam has not been reflected at Challenger level this year but Lundgren is unperturbed.

"I think he thought that he had the level to play consistently with the top players. But the Challengers are at a really high level these days. Maybe many of them don't perform well on the big courts but they are ready for Grigor because they know he is upcoming and young. He underestimated them a little bit.

"He has a very good temperament and now I think he understands he still has a long way to go. Everything takes time. He needs to get stronger and to get a routine, to know what to do. In the last four months he has come a long way. He could easily be top 100 soon, no problem. Maybe win one or two rounds on the ATP Tour here and there. He has the fire. He wants it."

Nice article :)

I also like how Federer sent Lundgren a message :)

MichaelChang
06-18-2009, 04:31 AM
Federer's success also depends heavily on his fitness and being healthy all these years. Federer, without a doubt, is one of the fittest on the tour, even at his current age, close to 28. He is still fitter than many young guns like Murray for a 5 set match. What Grigor can achieve, is really too early to tell.

nikdom
06-18-2009, 08:39 AM
I see the parallels, but I don't think he's Federer 2.0

If you don't see why, look at this picture -

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Sport/Pix/pictures/2009/6/17/1245246583076/dimitrov-001.jpg

Now tell me what Federer does differently (and better in my opinion)? ;)

vtmike
06-18-2009, 08:40 AM
^^^ Eyes on the ball...:)

nikdom
06-18-2009, 08:49 AM
^^^ Eyes on the ball...:)

Yep, my friend, you've won a million dollars!! :-P

VivalaVida
06-18-2009, 08:51 AM
Yep, my friend, you've won a million dollars!! :-P
fed also doesnt hold his racket that high up on the grip like dimitrov

malakas
06-18-2009, 08:51 AM
Federer also has much nicer hair!:p

nikdom
06-18-2009, 08:55 AM
fed also doesnt hold his racket that high up on the grip like dimitrov

Yep and that gives him the ability to flick his wrist for those unreal cross court BH passing shots. Someone would have to be REALLY REALLY good for me to start considering them Roger's successors.

Too many Baby Fed's have been stillborn, so I'll wait until one actually lives to see a GS final before anointing them.

That said, nothing against this kid. I would rather that the next generation of champions emulate Roger than any other player in history.

leonidas1982
06-18-2009, 09:13 AM
We have Sampras' camp, Federer's camp, and Nadal's Camp. Can Dimitrov be the first consensus champion for TW?

TheNatural
06-18-2009, 10:51 AM
Federer 3.0 Dancevic was Federer 2.0

SAFINATORZ
06-18-2009, 11:32 AM
Whatever happened to Dancevic?

Grigor is going to be a force to reckoned with in the coming years. Saw him dominate the field at the US open juniors Last year. Displayed an awesome match @ rotterdam when he played exceptionally well against Nadal. A future GS winner for sure.
!
Federer 3.0 Dancevic was Federer 2.0

SAFINATORZ
06-18-2009, 11:48 AM
Sick backhand!

RCizzle65
06-18-2009, 12:00 PM
Hopefully he does well with his career, he looks very promising and I'm already a fan.

shadows
06-19-2009, 04:22 AM
I only just realised that Grisha has been playing at the boodles challenge exo; not sure how many matches he's played, I just know he apparently played well but got beat 1 and 4 by Tsonga.

Still, more matches against top class opponents is only going to help ^^

Gorecki
06-19-2009, 05:00 AM
i like Dimitroverrated....

i want a thread for the fan base of each player form the number one to the 150th....

and there was people saying gulbis and gasquet are overated....:rolleyes:

Sovereignty
06-19-2009, 07:01 AM
Reminds me a little of Safin and Federer as people have already mentioned.

Count me into the club

Rafter4ever
06-19-2009, 02:54 PM
Just check out his draw at Wimby, plays Igor K. in the first round, a winnable match for him, then probably Roddick in the second round; a good barometer for him. Can't wait!

geesechops
06-21-2009, 09:15 PM
Sampras 1971

Federer 1981 - me too :)

Dimitrov 1991

Blinkism
06-21-2009, 09:24 PM
Sampras 1971

Dimitrov 1991

Cool coincidence!

Ambivalent
06-21-2009, 09:46 PM
I am a fan. He gets into so many epic rallies, but unfortunately he doesn't win most of them. With time and experience, he will start winning them and become a great player.

DunlopDood
06-21-2009, 10:40 PM

Man he really holds that racquet wrong! Holding it by the butt end will give you more torque on your shots. More torque means ball goes faster with less effort. Notice all the great players hold their racquets by the butt end

ChanceEncounter
06-21-2009, 10:44 PM
Man he really holds that racquet wrong! Holding it by the butt end will give you more torque on your shots. More torque means ball goes faster with less effort. Notice all the great players hold their racquets by the butt end
Choking up on the racquet gives you a little better control over your swing. Maybe as his body matures and he puts on the muscle mass, he'll grip lower on the racquet.

DunlopDood
06-21-2009, 10:59 PM
Choking up on the racquet gives you a little better control over your swing. Maybe as his body matures and he puts on the muscle mass, he'll grip lower on the racquet.

Hard to say if that's something that he can change if he's already used to holding it one way.

I remember what a college coach once told me. When young kids start out tennis for the first time the thing that coaches pay attention to is how they hold their racquet. if they hold the racquet by the end, those are the ones you pay some more attention to because they have already unconsciously figured out the basic physics of the game that will allow them to develop at a faster rate. It's little things like this that natural athletes tend to pick up faster.

Leublu tennis
06-22-2009, 12:35 AM
i like Dimitroverrated....

i want a thread for the fan base of each player form the number one to the 150th....

and there was people saying gulbis and gasquet are overated....:rolleyes:
Gasquet wears his 15 digit rating number in his mug shots.

geesechops
06-22-2009, 01:09 PM
Hopefully we get a Roddick vs Dimitrov 2nd Rd. I wanna see what this kid is all about.

aphex
06-22-2009, 01:12 PM
Hard to say if that's something that he can change if he's already used to holding it one way.

I remember what a college coach once told me. When young kids start out tennis for the first time the thing that coaches pay attention to is how they hold their racquet. if they hold the racquet by the end, those are the ones you pay some more attention to because they have already unconsciously figured out the basic physics of the game that will allow them to develop at a faster rate. It's little things like this that natural athletes tend to pick up faster.

if your super successful college coach (LOL) said that, obviously the holder of 3 junior slams should quit tennis immediately!!

ChanceEncounter
06-22-2009, 01:20 PM

Yeah, it something that most of the best players do (hold the racquet at the end) because it offers more torque. However, that does not mean that it's optimal for every stage in a player's development, or that it's necessary for success. Some players gradually shift their grip as they grow into their frame, either because of their hand size, muscle mass, or general feel for the game. Some players are able to generate plenty of power despite choking up on the racquet that they may chose to gain a little control.

I know the subject is similar (though not exactly the same) in baseball. Barry Bonds notoriously chokes up on his bat, and he's able to generate plenty of power despite that. Meanwhile, choking up gives him more control over his swing that leads to a more consistent approach at the plate.

It's not a universal hard and fast rule, and it's not something Dimitrov can't change.

Cyan
06-22-2009, 01:22 PM
Sampras 1971

Dimitrov 1991

Next GOAT this guy.

Dimitrov_Fan
06-22-2009, 01:58 PM
Hope that he wins tomorrow in his first ever match at Wimbledon!

Good luck Grisho!

Shaolin
06-22-2009, 02:10 PM
Sampras 1971

Dimitrov 1991

You forgot Renshaw 1861!

2ndserveace
06-22-2009, 02:23 PM
I think this kid has a chance to beat Roddick in the 2nd round. Roddick's ankle will slow him down and Grigor has proved that he can play on grass by winning Junior Wimbledon.

truthorbust
06-22-2009, 02:32 PM
He is good. He could become a great player..he has really fluid nice technique and moves like a cat .. a bit lik Roger

His mind , have no idea where he is at , but if he make round 2 at Wimby it will be more evident..

safinlives
06-22-2009, 07:45 PM
I don't know if this belongs in the fan thread, but heres an interesting yet funny dimitrov video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3VGp3aKB8g&feature=channel_page

leonidas1982
06-23-2009, 04:22 AM
Time to make his debut.

leonidas1982
06-23-2009, 05:51 AM
Not a good debut.

Lost to Igor Kunitsyn: 3-6 6-0 4-0 Ret.

martinrousev
06-23-2009, 05:55 AM
Does anybody have any info regarding his injury?

ESP#1
06-23-2009, 06:04 AM
What happened? I was looking forward to seeing him make a run

MichaelChang
06-23-2009, 06:10 AM
damn, he is really injured in the match or what...

geese_com
06-23-2009, 06:29 AM
This kid looked promising, too bad he had to retire today.

FlamEnemY
06-23-2009, 06:29 AM
There was a really long pause at 40-40 in the first game of the second set with Grigor trying to break. The pause lasted for around 10 minutes and after that his stats dropped extremely...

martinrousev
06-23-2009, 06:36 AM
I have some unconfirmed info. Looks like he has twisted his knee and damaged some tendons. I hope he hasn't broken any ligaments.

leonidas1982
06-23-2009, 06:45 AM
If one believes in parallel universes, this could be a deviating point.

FlamEnemY
06-23-2009, 06:53 AM
I just read some news. It seems like he had knee injury.

ESP#1
06-23-2009, 07:10 AM
Hope it isnt anything serious

Dgpsx7
06-23-2009, 07:12 AM
Dancevic also lost first round.

_maxi
06-23-2009, 07:58 AM
From his facebook..

Grigor injured his knee after winning the first set 6-3, he went on to play with the injury for 10 more games that he lost, before he decided to retire.

yellowoctopus
06-23-2009, 08:13 AM
From his facebook..

Grigor injured his knee after winning the first set 6-3, he went on to play with the injury for 10 more games that he lost, before he decided to retire.

Having knees problem this early is not good news; I hope he is doing all he can to keep it healthy. The guy is good for tennis.

I'm glad it's not 'Djoko-itis' that caused his retirement from the match--now that would be worse.

TheNatural
06-23-2009, 01:03 PM
From his facebook..

Now he knows how Nadal was feeling not being able to play anywhere near his level lately by trying to play with the knee injury.

Blinkism
06-23-2009, 02:16 PM
Bad result... but he showed a little bit of promise in that first set.

Him and his team need to really rethink a lot of things and fitness is #1.

Gugafan
06-23-2009, 07:02 PM
Bad result... but he showed a little bit of promise in that first set.

Him and his team need to really rethink a lot of things and fitness is #1.

He got unlucky with the injury, I dont think it was fitness related. Does anyone know that exact incident that caused him to retire.

Leublu tennis
06-23-2009, 07:05 PM
I don't know if this belongs in the fan thread, but heres an interesting yet funny dimitrov video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3VGp3aKB8g&feature=channel_page

Thats a riot. Was that Gregor who used the digit?

VivalaVida
06-23-2009, 07:09 PM
What a punk! Th umpire should have kicked him in the face.

Leublu tennis
06-23-2009, 07:09 PM
He got unlucky with the injury, I dont think it was fitness related. Does anyone know that exact incident that caused him to retire.Probably the stupid grass. Why don't they get rid of it. There were several players who had to retire in the first round. Something like 4 or 5. Stupid to make players play at such dangerous surface just because of a slam and 4 minor tournaments.

Gugafan
06-23-2009, 07:13 PM
Probably the stupid grass. Why don't they get rid of it. There were several players who had to retire in the first round. Something like 4 or 5. Stupid to make players play at such dangerous surface just because of a slam and 4 minor tournaments.

It can be quite dangerous during the first week, where the grass is still quite slippy and not been used much.

Blinkism
06-23-2009, 09:18 PM
He got unlucky with the injury, I dont think it was fitness related. Does anyone know that exact incident that caused him to retire.

Well, fitness and health. He needs to make sure he stays injury free by doing all the proper prep work on his potential injuries and playing a different style.

He's still young and can change things around like that, so hopefully he does.

cork_screw
06-23-2009, 11:21 PM
The man's backhand is gorgeous. He hits like a more modern federer if you ask me.

shadows
06-23-2009, 11:37 PM
From his facebook..

oh man that sucks for grigor D:

I was tired last night and thought he had lost the first 6-3 so was a little dubious about the injury costing him the match, but if he was up and then got injured then that's a real shame. I hope it's nothing so serious that he'll be out for a while.

I wonder whether any blame resides with Adidas and their inability to prepare a decent shoe for grass, he was slipping all over the place at Queens.

==

@Gugafan, did you check the Mayer thread recently? he's playing well!

Leublu tennis
06-24-2009, 12:11 AM
It can be quite dangerous during the first week, where the grass is still quite slippy and not been used much.I didn't notice all these slips and falls last year. But at Halle, one player after another kept falling down and I think there were retirements there. I joked that Djoker needs to get new shoes but, after several falls, it became no laughing matter. They should make Wimby voluntary. That would be a start.

tahiti
06-24-2009, 09:29 AM
Yeah too bad he had to retire....
He messed up my bracket :(

martinrousev
09-11-2009, 02:39 AM
What happened to this thread? Grigor has been in action since the last post. He lost to the No1 seed in the USO qualification. Afther this he received a wild card for a Challenger in Geneva, Italy. The draw was against him and he played a seeded player in the first round. Lost in three sets.

Dimitrov_Fan
10-19-2009, 07:36 PM
some recent highlights

- july 2009: grigor loses to canas (taking him to TB in 2nd set) in 1st round of bastad atp 250

- august 2009: grigor makes the quarterfinals of the segovia challenger before losing to granollers in 3 sets.

doubles highlights
w/gabashvili- champion at the trnava challenger

w/marsel ilhan- final of istanbul challenger
__________________________________________________ ___

so, those are the updates for anyone wondering!

dimitrov is now #310 in the world (he was #746 this time last year)

he reached a career high of #255 in september and has earned $108,253 in his career-to-date

he is currently to play the 1st round of stockholm against jarkko nieminen of finland. grigor just lost to nieminen in his last match, in kolding challenger

lawrence
10-20-2009, 01:34 AM
If Grigor doesn't beat Federer at Wimbledon in 2011, he has no hope.

crazylevity
10-20-2009, 04:00 AM
some recent highlights

- july 2009: grigor loses to canas (taking him to TB in 2nd set) in 1st round of bastad atp 250

- august 2009: grigor makes the quarterfinals of the segovia challenger before losing to granollers in 3 sets.

doubles highlights
w/gabashvili- champion at the trnava challenger

w/marsel ilhan- final of istanbul challenger
__________________________________________________ ___

so, those are the updates for anyone wondering!

dimitrov is now #310 in the world (he was #746 this time last year)

he reached a career high of #255 in september and has earned $108,253 in his career-to-date

he is currently to play the 1st round of stockholm against jarkko nieminen of finland. grigor just lost to nieminen in his last match, in kolding challenger

Thanks for the updates. Keep em coming. :)

martinrousev
10-20-2009, 10:34 AM
Does anybody know Grigor's string setup?

GRANITECHIEF
10-20-2009, 10:37 AM
Go to pro results for a link to the livestream.

Blinkism
10-20-2009, 11:30 AM
Dimitrov just took a bad loss to Nieminen in the 1st round of Stockholm. 0-6, 2-6

Jarkko was too consistent and Grigor just hit too many UE's and DF's and played very sloppy.

The points he played well, though, were nice to see.

Dimitrov definitely has the tools to win and beat the top players but he needs to work on a lot of things- namely, his fitness, focus, and match play.

He really needs to become a much better match player.

mTm28
11-01-2009, 10:37 AM
Dimitrov just took a bad loss to Nieminen in the 1st round of Stockholm. 0-6, 2-6

Jarkko was too consistent and Grigor just hit too many UE's and DF's and played very sloppy.

The points he played well, though, were nice to see.

Dimitrov definitely has the tools to win and beat the top players but he needs to work on a lot of things- namely, his fitness, focus, and match play.

He really needs to become a much better match player.

Man that really sucks, looks like Nieminen's experiance got the better of him.

Arize
10-20-2010, 03:21 AM
Hi.

10char

AznManaBoy
10-20-2010, 06:50 AM
Grigor. Kick some ***!

forzamilan90
10-20-2010, 12:05 PM
Hi.

10char

best avatar on the forum man.
grigor'll the future of tennis, after the federer/nadal era (in 2-3 years time he'll be a GS winner)

Buckethead
10-20-2010, 12:36 PM
To the OP.
Make sure you update his current ranking, He is no longer a 300 + ranked player.

Halba
10-20-2010, 12:56 PM
he's overhyped. at almost same age rafa had a slam. niemenen a journeyman only conceded 3 games. rafa at 18 yrs probably beaten niemenen of today.

Arize
10-20-2010, 11:30 PM
best avatar on the forum man.
grigor'll the future of tennis, after the federer/nadal era (in 2-3 years time he'll be a GS winner)

:) Thanks... Yes I think he has the talent to do some serious damage soon and looking forward to it!

he's overhyped. at almost same age rafa had a slam. niemenen a journeyman only conceded 3 games. rafa at 18 yrs probably beaten niemenen of today.

You seem lost... Let's keep it that way.

Legend of Borg
10-21-2010, 12:14 AM

Players peak at different times. Nadal is an early bloomer, but I can't see him keep this up for many years to come. I can assure you Grigor has vastly improved since you last saw him against Niemenen. I will even say that he can beat Simon at his current level. You have seen his matches against Lacko and Fischer, I presume?

ryangoring
01-06-2011, 06:07 AM
After 3 players from the Australian Open acceptance list withdrew Grigor Dimitrov is now Alt #1 for direct main draw entry.

danielrios
01-06-2011, 06:52 AM
yeaaah great

Legend of Borg
01-14-2011, 03:50 PM
Grigor advances after defeating Reda El Amrani 6-3 6-4.

Next, he faces either Stefan Koubek or Thomas Schoorel.

If he wins that match, he will proceed to the first round of the AO main draw.

The first step in his GS quest.

Good luck, Grigor!

Semi-Pro
01-14-2011, 03:54 PM
Grigor advances after defeating Reda El Amrani 6-3 6-4.

Next, he faces either Stefan Koubek or Thomas Schoorel.

If he wins that match, he will proceed to the first round of the AO main draw.

The first step in his GS quest.

Good luck, Grigor!

If he does happen to advance to the main draw, which qualifying spot would they place him in, or is it done randomly?

roundiesee
01-14-2011, 04:49 PM
Think he is playing Schoorel; didn't the latter just took Fed to a breaker in Qatar? Hope Grigor will get by this guy, though I think it won't be easy.

joeri888
01-14-2011, 04:51 PM
BOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Go Thomas Schoorel :)

Legend of Borg
01-14-2011, 05:02 PM
Yes, he faces Schoorel now.

A big serving giant, it seems.

The guy is listed at 7' 3"!!!

It's probably a mistake....

Legend of Borg
01-14-2011, 05:07 PM
If he does happen to advance to the main draw, which qualifying spot would they place him in, or is it done randomly?

Possible first round opponents according to this site.

http://grigor-dimitrov.comlu.com/news.php?id=436

Berdych, Melzer, Almagro, Cilic, Baghdatis, Gasquet, Golubev, Istomin, Anderson, Gimeno-Traver, Stepanek, Dabul, Phau, Per (spelling?).

Hope this helps.

Talker
01-14-2011, 05:30 PM

If your that tall what's a few inches? :)

zidane339
01-15-2011, 05:55 AM
too bad one more person didn't withdraw so dimitrov could have direct entry, but i guess qualifying will do him good. He's in good form right now, hope he makes it past this next round.

billnepill
01-15-2011, 06:03 AM

His serve against Federer was really good. I think, that's what caused Federer's trouble at first. However, his serve is not that big. His biggest serves fell in the range 200-205 kmh. Most of his first serves were at speed 190-200 kmh.

Still, a lot of room for improvement. Bearing in mind, it is a weapon now, it would be a far greater weapon, if he increases speed.

AM95
01-15-2011, 02:32 PM
any streams for the schoorel match?

sonicare
01-15-2011, 03:23 PM
Oh no, dmitri lost the first set in TB 7-5

Bryan Swartz
01-15-2011, 03:24 PM
Ahem ... there's a forum for spoilers like that ...

Bud
01-15-2011, 03:24 PM
Grigor lost the first set in a TB... on serve in set 2

Ahem ... there's a forum for spoilers like that ...

There is no spoiler for this match as there in no video to watch later

Legend of Borg
01-15-2011, 03:27 PM
He was leading 4-1 in the TB. :-|

He had triple BP in the second set.

Now he's down a set and fighting to win his service games.

You cannot be serious!

So many chances....

Underhand
01-15-2011, 03:27 PM
Hopefully the umpire will finish this match without injuries.

Bud
01-15-2011, 03:31 PM
Dimi just broke for a 4-3 lead in set 2

D up 5-3 now

D with triple SP

Wow, that was quick! He fire up the afterburners?? :shock:

Dimitrov takes set 2 6-3

Legend of Borg
01-15-2011, 03:37 PM
Dimi takes the second set with a double break!

Davai Grisho!

Napred!

Bud
01-15-2011, 03:38 PM
Dimi takes the second set with a double break!

Davai Grisho!

Napred!

He went from 3-3 to winning the set in 5 minutes 8-)

Legend of Borg
01-15-2011, 03:42 PM
He went from 3-3 to winning the set in 5 minutes 8-)

Talk about kicking it into high gear!

Now the Dutchman is playing catchup with Grigor.

Bud
01-15-2011, 03:58 PM
Grigor up 4-1 now... appears schoorel ran outta gas in that last set.

Looks like he's probably in the main draw.

danielrios
01-15-2011, 03:59 PM
where are you guys watching it?

Bud
01-15-2011, 04:01 PM
http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/scores/index.html

Grigor at 5-1 and serving for the match

colonelforbin
01-15-2011, 04:04 PM
Grigor wins WOOOOOO

Legend of Borg
01-15-2011, 04:09 PM
Well played, Grigor!

Now let's see who is his first round victim. :)

lol

AM95
01-15-2011, 04:26 PM
Well played, Grigor!

Now let's see who is his first round victim. :)

lol

i hope he gets a round in and then plays feddybear

Legend of Borg
01-15-2011, 04:33 PM
i hope he gets a round in and then plays feddybear

Rog better bring his A game.

:wink:

Bryan Swartz
01-15-2011, 04:45 PM
Earliest Roger could play a qualifier is in the quarters ... so, not gonna happen :???:

Blinkism
01-15-2011, 04:49 PM
Well, alright, Grigor! Another main draw of a slam, another step closer to that elusive first slam trophy.

Let's see who's first - Murray or Dimitrov :lol:

ryangoring
01-15-2011, 05:49 PM
Well played and done, Grisho!!

AM95
01-15-2011, 05:56 PM
Well, alright, Grigor! Another main draw of a slam, another step closer to that elusive first slam trophy.

Let's see who's first - Murray or Dimitrov :lol:

lollllllll

another main draw? did he play in a slam yet, because i think this is his first.

Gugafan
01-15-2011, 06:31 PM
Good to see Dimitrov make the main draw on his own merit.

colonelforbin
01-15-2011, 06:31 PM
lollllllll

another main draw? did he play in a slam yet, because i think this is his first.

In 2009 he got a WC to Wimbledon because he was the Junior champion in 2008. He won the first set of his R1 match against Kunitsyn, but then injured his knee and retired.

colonelforbin
01-15-2011, 06:40 PM
He plays Andrey Golubev tomorrow, 3rd match on Court 10. If he wins he could face Wawrinka 2nd round.

ryangoring
01-15-2011, 07:33 PM
At 11.00am. I'll be there, I think.........

danielrios
01-16-2011, 06:19 PM
when he's playing? any free live stream on the web??? I don't find the court...

forzamilan90
01-16-2011, 06:34 PM
yeah if someone can post info on when he is playing that'd be great

Legend of Borg
01-16-2011, 06:40 PM
Court number 10 right after the Andujar-Malisse match.

Malisse leads by 2 sets and a break so we should see Grigor in action pretty soon.

Well, we won't see him, but we still have livescore.

Radobg
01-17-2011, 01:13 AM
Grigor convincingly won his R1 match against #38Andrey Golubev-61 64 62!!!Victim #2-Wawrinka!!!Monfils, Roddick and Roger get ready:)!!!

FlamEnemY
01-17-2011, 01:37 AM
It's great to have such a convincing victory over a top 40 player! It's obvious that he's on the right track.

He has to play Wawrinka next? That's a tall order, but I hope I'll be able to see the match, it's going to be a great backhand to backhand battle.

aphex
01-17-2011, 01:41 AM
Wawa is going down...sometimes the guys from qualies play much better the first few main draw rounds...

billnepill
01-17-2011, 02:02 AM
yeayy

congrats, I hope there will be streams next time :)

Tennis_Hands
01-17-2011, 02:37 AM
Don't worry. As soon as he starts trashing guys ranked above # 30 he will get the attention he deserves.

:)

Legend of Borg
01-17-2011, 02:40 AM
Don't worry. As soon as he starts trashing guys ranked above # 30 he will get the attention he deserves.

If he straight sets Stanislas, I'm going to LOL very hard.

DY loses 50 consecutive 1st rounds after being given a wildcard for every single tourney, and yet he is still more well known than the Bulgarian.

Mad world.

Underhand
01-17-2011, 03:29 AM

DY loses 50 consecutive 1st rounds after being given a wildcard for every single tourney, and yet he is still more well known than the Bulgarian.

Mad world.

You CANNOT be serious comparing a Dimitrov to DONALD YOUNG!?!

Noltae
01-17-2011, 03:39 AM
LOL this thread makes me wanna listen to Public Enemy's Don't Believe The Hype !

aimr75
01-17-2011, 03:39 AM
im going to try and go see him play his next match assuming its on one of the outside courts

Gugafan
01-17-2011, 04:13 AM
im going to try and go see him play his next match assuming its on one of the outside courts

Hopefully Wawrinka-Dimitrov will make the show courts.

Getting through qualies and beating a top 40 player is no mean feat.

Jugulator
01-17-2011, 04:21 AM
I saw him last year at the final of the Geneva Challenger where he had a tough 3 setter against a spanish dude called Pablo Andujar (now top 100). He was clearly the better player on the court (clay) with variable and powerful shots. Used also lot of slice, drop shots. He was ranked 256 at the time and I thought that he will break top 50 next year.

Now with Wawrinka, this is another story. He has certainly the game to trouble him, it depends how Stan will play. Stan had two very shaky rounds against lower ranked players in Chennai, but then, surprise, he beat Berdy with no big problem.

Certainly one of the round 2 highlights at the AO

MichaelChang
01-17-2011, 04:53 AM
Well, Peter Lundgren is Wawa's coach, and G.D's ex-coach. Very interesting lol. I think Peter Lundgren obviously knows G.D.'s game so bad news for G.D.

ryangoring
01-17-2011, 05:25 AM
Just because the coach knows of his OLD game play doesn't always mean he knows his NEW game play............

ryangoring
01-17-2011, 05:28 AM

Mad world.
Only reason why he is more known than Grisho is because he was hyped up and he is failing and falling fast.............that's all.

zidane339
01-17-2011, 05:56 AM
Wow I'm crossing my fingers stan vs grigor is on a show court, i need to see this kid's talents live!

Legend of Borg
01-17-2011, 06:17 AM
Wow I'm crossing my fingers stan vs grigor is on a show court, i need to see this kid's talents live!

It will be televised.

Stan is the 19th best player in the world.

They're not going to put him on a side court with no coverage.

Can't wait to see Dimitrov's game again.

aphex
01-17-2011, 06:18 AM
It will be televised.

Stan is the 19th best player in the world.

They're not going to put him on a side court with no coverage.

Can't wait to see Dimitrov's game again.

I hope stupid Eurosport shows it...

Legend of Borg
01-17-2011, 06:36 AM
I hope stupid Eurosport shows it...

Yeah.

Hey, do you have EuroSport player?

I'm thinking of handing over a few pounds so I can watch high quality streams of all the matches.

Can't be bothered with all the crappy live feeds around the net.

Underhand
01-17-2011, 06:55 AM
Yeah.

Hey, do you have EuroSport player?

I'm thinking of handing over a few pounds so I can watch high quality streams of all the matches.

Can't be bothered with all the crappy live feeds around the net.

Eurosport Player is a st(r)eaming pile of horse dung. Lagging constantly and giving server errors. At least today was horrid. Last year worked better, maybe too much subscriptions for their bandwidth? Greedy mofos.

danielrios
01-17-2011, 10:03 AM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1373.snc4/164522_186474601381414_117362404959301_612624_3722 831_n.jpg

danielrios
01-17-2011, 10:04 AM
Video of the match point
http://www.grigor-dimitrov.com/video

Legend of Borg
01-17-2011, 10:05 AM
Eurosport Player is a st(r)eaming pile of horse dung. Lagging constantly and giving server errors. At least today was horrid. Last year worked better, maybe too much subscriptions for their bandwidth? Greedy mofos.

Hmm, not the best of news to hear especially since I just paid for a monthly subscription.

I hope the lag is reduced to a minimum tonight.

Can't have it lagging while the Great Scot is playing now, can we?

JoelDali
01-17-2011, 11:09 AM
A Grigor Dimitrov Moment 01/17/2011 - 5:02 AM

The two girls smiled at each other. Then they looked backed at Court 10, at the player in the yellow shirt with the silky one-handed backhand and the very familiar service motion and the easy way with a forehand winner. Then the girls looked at each other again. They smiled again. They were having a Grigor Dimitrov moment.

The Grigor Dimitrov Moment: It sounds like a bad lounge-band name. I can see it now: A tall man with a receding hairline and a black goatee is hunched over a saxophone in a half-empty basement bar in Philly or Prague. But no, a Dimitrov Moment is what we got in Melbourne on Monday. In front of those two smitten girls, as well as a fair number of tennis cognescenti, the 19-year-old Bulgarian won his first match at a Grand Slam by routing Andrey Golubev, an otherwise perfectly respectable pro who is currently ranked No. 36 in the world. It wasn’t just that Dimitrov beat Golubev like a drum, 6-1, 6-4, 6-2; it’s that he outclassed him. He was the elegant tennis aristocrat slumming it for a few moments with the clumsy hoi polloi.

Players win their first matches at Grand Slams all the time, of course. But Dimitrov hasn’t been just another player since 2008. That year he won junior Wimbledon and the U.S. Open back to back, turned pro, and was promptly pushed into the pole position among the contenders for Next Big Tennis Thing.

And that’s as far as he got until today. The two years since Dimitrov’s junior triumphs have been hard ones. He was lost on the Challenger circuit, playing in Thailand one week and Geneva the next. He dropped out of the Top 200. The early talk of a touring entourage faded. When I spoke to him by phone from somewhere between Katmandu and Timbuktu last year, he sounded humbled. “I just have to keep going and hope it turns around,” he said.

It turned around in 2010. Dimitrov began working with former doubles standout Peter McNamara of Australia. He won six Challengers. He moved into the Top 200, then the Top 150, then up to 105, which is where he started this tournament. He’s not talking about hopes anymore; he’s talking about goals. Big goals.

“We’re aiming high," Dimitrov said today. "We want to be in the Top 40 by the end of the year." Maybe he’ll get the old entourage together again, too.

What changed? Nothing too specific or miraculous, it seems. “I’m more mature on court now,” Dimitrov said. “I have to accept it didn’t come as fast. I know I have to take it step by step.”

But the new confidence hasn’t vanquished the old frustration just yet. Dimitrov shoved an umpire at a Challenger in Helsinki last month, but was not suspended.

“It’s something that happened,” said Dimitrov, who described himself as “not an easy person” all the time. “It will never happen again.”

The talent, the temper, the early professional disappointment. Does this lineup remind you of someone else? Yes, Dimitrov appears to be taking a page or two from Roger Federer. Make that three or four or five pages. The Bulgarian says Federer is his hero, and he’s clearly spent a good deal of time watching him play.

The similarities in their games are uncanny. The relaxed start and sudden upward burst on the serve. The long extension on the backhand, and the extra, easy snap of topspin on the forehand. Dimitrov even sets up for his backhand the same way as Federer. Both of them, when they have the time, turn their bodies to the net and place their feet far apart for balance.

It’s one thing to copy the mechanics. It’s another to get the results—to catch the spirit rather than just the letter of the Federer law. Dimitrov does that too, and he did it today to devastating effect. Both Dimitrov and Federer seem to play farther from their torsos than their opponents, with a sweep to their strokes that lets them get more of their arms and bodies into their shots—they get out their own way. Golubev was handcuffed by Dimitrov’s inside-out forehand, as well as his down the line backhand. At 4-2 in the third set, Dimitrov hit three returns of serve that landed on the baseline, and which Golubev dumped into the net. After the last one, Golubev shrugged as if to say, “Forget it. Nothing I can do about that. Get me out of here.”

Dimitrov moves with something of the ease of Federer, and as I said, his way of playing has that loose, high-class Federer sheen (whether he's actually as fast is yet to be determined). This begs the question: Did Dimitrov borrow some of his talent from Federer? Or did his mimicry hold him back from developing what would have been his own genius? You can’t just move like Federer because you want to.

Would the younger man have been as good—or maybe better—if he had never seen the older man play? Would we all be better if we could make our games as close to Federer’s as possible? It’s one thing to copy a player’s general style. Bjorn Borg launched a million baseliners. It’s another to copy—or internalize; Dimitrov understandably doesn’t like the copycat label—the idiosyncrasies of one man’s genius. John McEnroe had no imitators.

None of this means the Bulgarian is any kind of genius; Frank Dancevic's game is also reminiscent of Federer's, and he's never cracked the Top 20. What matters for tennis fans is this: If you like to watch Roger Federer play, you’re going to like to watch Grigor Dimitrov. If, like me, you love Federer’s game but have gotten tired of his Sire Jacket lordliness over the years, you’ll like him even more, because it’s going to be a while before Dimitrov lords it over anyone. I spent a set at Court 10 watching Dimitrov-Golubev today, long enough to see that it wasn’t going to be a competitive match. So I traipsed to the other side of Melbourne Park, which is not around the corner, to watch some of Victor Troicki, another guy I’m interested this season. Or at least I thought I was interested in him. Compared to Dimitrov, Troicki’s game seemed limited and earthbound. So I got up and made the trek back to Court 10, just for the pleasure of seeing the kid play.

The two girls were there, and they were still smiling. So was Dimitrov. When he won the last point, he pumped his fist and flashed a wide grin. Then he looked at his coaches and smiled some more. He couldn’t stop smiling. He’d won a Grand Slam match. It was a Grigor Dimitrov moment to savor.

HunterST
01-17-2011, 11:35 AM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1373.snc4/164522_186474601381414_117362404959301_612624_3722 831_n.jpg

His strokes kind of look like federer's, but he doesn't have the looking at the ball at contact thing down.

billnepill
01-17-2011, 11:41 AM
it will be terrible to be a fan of Dimitrov in the following years. Even if he wins a grand slam, there will be talk " Yes, but Federer.. " . If he fails to win : "Poor man Federer's" , "overhyped", "overrated".
But it's his and his coaches fault that things got in this direction.

forzamilan90
01-17-2011, 12:35 PM
it will be terrible to be a fan of Dimitrov in the following years. Even if he wins a grand slam, there will be talk " Yes, but Federer.. " . If he fails to win : "Poor man Federer's" , "overhyped", "overrated".
But it's his and his coaches fault that things got in this direction.

as a bulgarian i'll just be happy that the country finally amounted to something athletically since stoichkov's accolades

forthegame
01-17-2011, 01:23 PM
as a bulgarian i'll just be happy that the country finally amounted to something athletically since stoichkov's accolades

Aah, Hristo Stoichkov, G L F O A T! The memories..

billnepill
01-17-2011, 01:58 PM

:) I'm Bulgarian too. Nice to see some fellow compatriots around here. I've noticed you´ve been commenting regularly in threads about him, but I haven´t thought you are Bulgarian because of your location.

Anyway, obviously we both will be rooting for him

Давай Гриша :)

rallyjunkie
01-17-2011, 02:55 PM
Nice work JoelDali, excellent writing. Dimitrov is going to the top, it's good to see he has straightened everything out and is on his way.

Mansewerz
01-17-2011, 02:59 PM
Federer to lose Wimbledon Round of 16 epic in 5 sets to Dimitrov? This will be scary if it happens.

JoelDali
01-17-2011, 03:06 PM
Nice work JoelDali, excellent writing. Dimitrov is going to the top, it's good to see he has straightened everything out and is on his way.

Credit, oops.

http://blogs.tennis.com/thewrap/2011/01/a-grigor-dimitrov-moment.html

JoelDali
01-17-2011, 03:07 PM
His strokes kind of look like federer's, but he doesn't have the looking at the ball at contact thing down.

Uh, its one photograph. I'm sure theres one of Fed not looking at the ball somewhere.

LOL

timnz
01-17-2011, 03:45 PM
Federer to lose Wimbledon Round of 16 epic in 5 sets to Dimitrov? This will be scary if it happens.

Interesting symmetry.....changing of the guard.... In 1990 29 year old Lendl lost to 19 year old Sampras in 5 sets at the US Open. In 2001 29 year old Sampras lost to 19 year old Federer in 5 sets at Wimbledon.... in 2011 ???

In reality I don't think it will happen. Federer is in much better shape that Lendl or Sampras was at 29 and his game is in much finer form.

I DO think though that Dimitrov will be really good. Very talented players who have a lot of strokes take longer to put everything together.... hence, I think in about 2 years he will be really amazing.

roundiesee
01-17-2011, 03:57 PM

Huh? Why can't he be on Nadal's side? Well, too bad, if things go according to plan, these 2 will meet (finally). It's Pete V Roger at Wimby all over again, let's see what happens. First he has to beat Wawrinka which won't be easy.

aimr75
01-18-2011, 02:06 PM

show court 2

AM95
01-18-2011, 02:20 PM
ah its a shame its airing while im in school. whats the approximate match time, 4pm aussie time?

zidane339
01-18-2011, 06:55 PM
He's coming up right after lubijic ends and the next women's match finishes..cant wait! this is worth staying up for.

billnepill
01-18-2011, 06:57 PM
He's coming up right after lubijic ends and the next women's match finishes..cant wait! this is worth staying up for.

hope after Lubijic, Bartoli pulls off another 6-0 6-0 in less than an hour

cause I can't wait ! :)

danielrios
01-18-2011, 07:14 PM
When is he playing? Im watching Verfiasco/tipsarevic (espn) and Monaco/haase (espn+).

Legend of Borg
01-18-2011, 07:16 PM
After the LjubeCheck match, there's still Bartoli to play.

Grigor is last.

Sid_Vicious
01-18-2011, 07:19 PM
After the LjubeCheck match, there's still Bartoli to play.

Grigor is last.
Let's hope her attention gets occupied byan all-you-cant-eat buffet so Dimitrov and Wawrinka can hit the court.

Legend of Borg
01-18-2011, 07:22 PM
Let's hope her attention gets occupied byan all-you-cant-eat buffet so Dimitrov and Wawrinka can hit the court.

Man, I watched her play against Pironkova at last year's Wimbledon.

She kept giving the crowd some mean glares.

Probably eyeing some spectator's candy bars or something.

JoelDali
01-18-2011, 07:36 PM
Just sent text to LubeCheck(tm) telling him to make it quick.

Legend of Borg
01-18-2011, 07:37 PM
Oh for Fed's sake!

FINISH THIS LJUBE!

That French guy is really persistent.

ruerooo
01-18-2011, 08:06 PM

He heard you. Luby in four.

Legend of Borg
01-18-2011, 08:07 PM

Nice.

Now tell Bartoli to invade the buffet and skip the match.

That would be epic win.

Sid_Vicious
01-18-2011, 08:08 PM
Nice.

Now tell Bartoli to invade the buffet and skip the match.

That would be epic win.
Bartoli used to have poster of Federer in her bedroom, which she took off after he got married. She said that Federer was "great eye candy"

Fat gurls love Federer.

Legend of Borg
01-18-2011, 08:14 PM
Bartoli used to have poster of Federer in her bedroom, which she took off after he got married. She said that Federer was "great eye candy"

Fat gurls love Federer.

lol

Fed Man is truly something.

Too bad Simon has to face the music later on.

Oh well.

THOSE OF US ABOUT TO DIE, SALUTE YOU!

Legend of Borg
01-18-2011, 08:32 PM
Whoever predicted a double bagel for Bartoli is my new idol.

I want your crystal ball too.

AM95
02-06-2011, 07:47 AM
dimitrov just qualified for Rotterdam and he's playing tsonga first round -_-

colonelforbin
02-06-2011, 08:46 AM
dimitrov just qualified for Rotterdam and he's playing tsonga first round -_-

Tough draw, but doable I think. Dolgo was able to take out Tsonga in AO, maybe Grigor can do the same here

FlamEnemY
02-06-2011, 08:56 AM
Doable. This may be a great 1st round match.

TJfederer16
02-06-2011, 10:00 AM
i really hope he can win or at least put up a good fight with tsonga, if he gets through that he's either got davydenko or llodra so he's got a very tough draw.

colonelforbin
02-13-2011, 07:10 AM
Dimitrov is playing doubles with Tursunov at Open 13 this week, and also drew Tursunov in the first round of singles. What are the chances :lol:

niff
02-13-2011, 08:03 AM
Ljubo on indoor hard in the second round could be painful..

AM95
02-13-2011, 08:12 AM
he's beaten tursunov before. but i dont feel like he will this time.

Buckethead
02-13-2011, 09:13 AM
Dimitrov is playing doubles with Tursunov at Open 13 this week, and also drew Tursunov in the first round of singles. What are the chances :lol:

Dimitrov, Tursunov and Gulbis are good buddies.
I hope He quits hanging out with the other 2 otherwise He is going to mess up his career.

newmark401
02-15-2011, 03:39 AM
Yesterday, in the first round of the Marseilles tournament, Dimitrov lost to Tursonov, 6-7 (6), 6-4, 7-6 (4), which is about as close as you can go to winning without doing so and sounds like an agonising loss for the Bulgarian.

colonelforbin
02-15-2011, 08:00 AM
Yesterday, in the first round of the Marseilles tournament, Dimitrov lost to Tursonov, 6-7 (6), 6-4, 7-6 (4), which is about as close as you can go to winning without doing so and sounds like an agonising loss for the Bulgarian.

It was even closer in the second, 7-5.

colonelforbin
03-02-2011, 08:05 AM
Anyone know if Grigor is planning on playing Indian Wells? (he'd have to go through qualie's I believe)

He's currently the #1 seed at a challenger in france this week, and has won his first couple matches.

ryangoring
03-06-2011, 06:57 AM
He's in the finals against Nicholas Mahut!
Pray he comes out on top

Legend of Borg
03-06-2011, 06:58 AM
He's in the finals against Nicholas Mahut!
Pray he comes out on top

He's beaten Mahut.

6-2 7-6

AM95
03-06-2011, 07:31 AM
he's playing BH Telecom Indoors now in croatia. seems like he's still focusing on the challenger tour and trying to improve his ranking little by little.

he's 71 now.

roundiesee
03-06-2011, 06:00 PM
he's playing BH Telecom Indoors now in croatia. seems like he's still focusing on the challenger tour and trying to improve his ranking little by little.

he's 71 now.

I think it may be better this way, rather than seeing him play the way he did against Gasquet recently

niff
04-04-2011, 03:03 PM
Houston R1: Dimitrov def. Schuettler 6-0 6-2

Bryan Swartz
04-04-2011, 03:22 PM
We have a forum for match results. Really, we do.

niff
04-04-2011, 03:29 PM
Thanks Admin.

This thread has always been following present progress.

hyperwarrior
04-04-2011, 03:45 PM
I can't wait to see Grigor's game coming all together!!! Great start!

Marius_Hancu
04-05-2011, 05:23 AM
Pretty good lately:
http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2011/04/14/Houston-Monday-Dimitrov-Impresses.aspx

Let's see which WCs he gets on clay before FO.

wilkinru
04-27-2011, 08:24 AM
Good win over Baggy today.

Up to 65 in the world, no reason he couldn't win this ATP 250 tourney.

Legend of Borg
04-27-2011, 09:51 AM
Nice win today.

Good to see him show some mental strength and save two MPs to win in 3.

Ripster
04-27-2011, 09:58 AM
Many people compare this kid to Federer. I personally have never seen him play. Does he have similar weapons? Big forehand, dangerous serve, versatile one-handed backhand?

aphex
04-27-2011, 10:04 AM
Many people compare this kid to Federer. I personally have never seen him play. Does he have similar weapons? Big forehand, dangerous serve, versatile one-handed backhand?

If Federer is 10 in the below categories, I would rate Dimitrov (at the moment) as:

serve: 7

forehand: 5

topspin backhand: 12

slice backhand: 8

movement: 5

net game: havent noticed

PSNELKE
04-27-2011, 10:18 AM
Don´t wanna sound mean or anything like that but I still don´t get the hype about this (kid).
I mean for a 20 y.o the biggest thing he achieved is his ranking at 69??
Imo those achievements don´t show anything special for a 20yo.

Watched his match today against Baggy...Fh is pretty weak. imo his shots lack pretty much of power. Also he has to improve his movement.
His BH looks good but also kinda powerless sometimes. Slice is above the avarage.
I also hope he stops imitating Roger cause he will never have such beautiful and smooth looking shots as Fed.

wilkinru
04-27-2011, 12:28 PM
He still has time to work on his game. His backhand is very good and that alone will help.

I do get sort of a...top 30 for a long time feel with this kid. Very hard to say if he'll ever bust out.

He was beating challengers with ease and now is learning to beat better competition.

Boricua
04-27-2011, 12:37 PM
Beating Baghdatis is a big step. Baghs a tough, young veteran who plays pretty consistently.

hyperwarrior
04-27-2011, 10:17 PM
He's so cool!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGACAA_ITLM&feature=feedu

Bryan Swartz
04-27-2011, 10:23 PM
but I still don´t get the hype about this (kid).
I mean for a 20 y.o the biggest thing he achieved is his ranking at 69??
Imo those achievements don´t show anything special for a 20yo.

Well he's still 19, but aside from that he's far more accomplished than any player his age.

There's only two players(Tomic and Harrison) who are younger and even in the Top 300. For a teenager to be top 100 these days is relatively impressive by itself.

Consensus seems to be that improving his movement and shot selection are the biggest couple of things that need to happen. That's certainly been my impression from the matches I've seen, but this is his first year of regularly getting pro-level competition. We don't really know how he'll react to it yet.

PSNELKE
04-28-2011, 02:32 AM
Well he's still 19, but aside from that he's far more accomplished than any player his age.

There's only two players(Tomic and Harrison) who are younger and even in the Top 300. For a teenager to be top 100 these days is relatively impressive by itself.

Consensus seems to be that improving his movement and shot selection are the biggest couple of things that need to happen. That's certainly been my impression from the matches I've seen, but this is his first year of regularly getting pro-level competition. We don't really know how he'll react to it yet.

Because of some 2 weeks you had to act a smartass man?
A 19 (20 in a few weeks) yo is still a teenager? LOL
However Im not really impressed by his achievements yet. Nothing special.
A lot of improvement is needed especially his awful movement and the FH.
I´ll keep an eye on him since there´s definately potential.

AM95
04-28-2011, 12:45 PM
However Im not really impressed by his achievements yet. Nothing special.
A lot of improvement is needed especially his awful movement and the FH.
I´ll keep an eye on him since there´s definately potential.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD_xaI6Xfes

moves pretty well here..

and here (in the parts of the video of dimitrov)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY2l9T2EruI

your being too critical. you seem to be putting him on the same pedestal as a young federer, which i think is just a bit to high of a comparison for him.

he's doing good though and he's maturing as a player- something that happens slower for some people than others..

future #1 in the world or not, i like watching him play. i especially prefer grigor over the likes of @$$holes like tomic and harrison.

Legend of Borg
04-28-2011, 12:52 PM
Harrison looks pretty humble, but he's got one heck of a temper.

Regarding Tomic, yes I agree.

He was quite full of himself a couple of year ago and still seems that way.

Grigor still has had his weak moments, especially when he pushed the umpire in that Helsinki challenger, but he'll learn from it.

Bryan Swartz
04-28-2011, 02:15 PM

I wasn't being a smartass. And yes he is still a teenager, the definition of which is anywhere between 13-19 inclusive.

Of course, my point(Top 100 while still a teenager) was true some months ago -- Dimitrov hit that barrier in January.

In the last several years, very few people have made the Top 100 before their 20th birthday. I guess the question is, he's unimpressive compared to what? Comparing him to people like Fed and Nadal? No. Compared to the vast majority of successful players? Yes.

Guess it depends on what your standard is.

Tshooter
04-28-2011, 05:27 PM
Why do people think his movement is poor ?

http://youtu.be/Od_7c6eD1Qk

FedExpress 333
04-28-2011, 05:40 PM
Well, after Federer, I want to see dimitrov take his place with a ihbh and an all court game!

hyperwarrior
08-02-2011, 08:17 PM
What happens to our Grigor!!!

FedExpress 333
08-02-2011, 09:34 PM
ya, this thread is prety dead.

audioaffliction
08-03-2011, 12:17 AM
He's got great promise. I think too many people are expecting/hoping for too much too, soon. I saw him in Australia this year, both on the practice courts and in both his main draw matches. He's got a very fluid game and is very enjoyable to watch.

He's also a class act. After his loss to Wawrinka, my wife and I saw him wandering the Melbourne Park grounds by himself, about an hour or so afterwards, as if he was trying to take it all in. My wife approached him and asked for his autograph. His response was very humble and unassuming: "You sure you want mine?" My wife said yes and he was very good natured about obliging. Said thanks for watching and everything. Good kid in my book.

FedExpress 333
08-03-2011, 02:05 AM
Ya, seems like a nice person, not to full of himself, unlike Harrison and Tomic, who see arrogant to me. Raonics cool too.