PDA

View Full Version : Is bouncing the ball with the frame of your racquet any indication of tennis talent

Golden Retriever
06-07-2009, 12:41 PM
I sure can't do it consistently. Seems like many pros can do it quite well. So does that mean anything?

Kegzz
06-07-2009, 12:47 PM
Nope. I don't think it does. I learnt how to do that before I could hit a shot over the net. I don't think it really affects one's game at all actually.

Serve_Ace
06-07-2009, 12:51 PM
Hand eye coordnation........

Tennis_Monk
06-07-2009, 01:02 PM
I sure can't do it consistently. Seems like many pros can do it quite well. So does that mean anything?

Absolutely. It means that you can bounce the ball well over the frame!

Beyond that....not much.

It isnt an indicator of Hand eye coordination. Because with regular practice , it can be mastered and that doesnt naturally mean one has good hand eye coordination. However i heard from some coaches that people with good hand eye coordination can master this (bounce ball of frames) easily.

guernica1
06-07-2009, 03:23 PM
Absolutely. It means that you can bounce the ball well over the frame!

Beyond that....not much.

It isnt an indicator of Hand eye coordination. Because with regular practice , it can be mastered and that doesnt naturally mean one has good hand eye coordination. However i heard from some coaches that people with good hand eye coordination can master this (bounce ball of frames) easily.

It takes a LOT of forearm muscle control as well. Its one of those things where if you are a pro its easy to do, but just because you can do it doesn't mean you're a pro!

The other thing pros do great is hacky sack with a tennis ball.. this is really really hard.

If you watch any sort of live sporting event go check out warm-ups and practices. There you will see some of the crazy tricks and moves that professional athletes do when they are not tight with a game on the line.

epicsocks
06-07-2009, 03:24 PM

Yes, it certainly does. This skill is highly sought after and is a crowning achievement of tennis greats.