PDA

View Full Version : Beat 3 Benchmarks, Auto bump to 4.5 next year?

Hokiez
06-07-2009, 01:47 PM
As the title says - if you beat 3 benchmarks in league play, are you destined for the auto-bump at the end of the year or could your record keep you down?

JLyon
06-07-2009, 02:05 PM
not if th three Benchmarks were 3.5 Bump-ups from last year.
Also depends on scores of matches.

JavierLW
06-07-2009, 02:23 PM
As the title says - if you beat 3 benchmarks in league play, are you destined for the auto-bump at the end of the year or could your record keep you down?

No, all being a benchmark means is that you were in the playoffs, it doesnt mean anything special as far as your rating in relation to them.

Fedace
06-07-2009, 02:25 PM
If you are that worried, Lose 2 matches in a row. Just throw it with scores like 6-2 6-2 and so on. Weaker the opponent across the net the better...

Hokiez
06-07-2009, 02:58 PM
Ah, thanks. I thought in past years if you beat three "B" rated players, it was an auto dynamic DQ. Wouldn't be the first time I was wrong though.

royer
06-07-2009, 09:17 PM
If you are that worried, Lose 2 matches in a row. Just throw it with scores like 6-2 6-2 and so on. Weaker the opponent across the net the better...

Yes, a sure way to keep from being bumped up while reminding the world that you have no class, dignity, or integrity.

Purposely tanking matches is a violation of USTA rules.

The only real "losers" are those who "lose" on purpose. Have some respect for yourself, your opponent, and the game itself.

goober
06-08-2009, 05:06 AM
Yes, a sure way to keep from being bumped up while reminding the world that you have no class, dignity, or integrity.

Purposely tanking matches is a violation of USTA rules.

The only real "losers" are those who "lose" on purpose. Have some respect for yourself, your opponent, and the game itself.

Don't argue with a guy that follows the "Universal sportsmanship Law" :)

Hokiez
06-08-2009, 05:27 PM
I don't think I'll be dumping any matches on purpose as I'd like to play 4.5 though I can see the allure of staying at 4.0. At my club, there are ~350 tennis players and only ~9 4.5's (10 next year as I think my 11-1 (got cheated in a third set TB to break my unbeaten streak - oh well) record will put me over the edge).

At 4.0 you can easily play:
USTA 4.0 on 2 teams at the same club
7.0 mixed (I pair with my 3.0 wife)
7.5 mixed
7.5 combo
8.5 combo
8.5 mixed
--------
8 teams

At 4.5 given the # of players at that level, you're more or less stuck at:
USTA 4.5
8.5 combo
------------
2 teams

We have no 8.5 mixed team
All the 7.5 teams become a bit of a challenge in pairing with a 3.0
We don't have enough for 9.0

So I see the allure, but prefer the better competition at the 4.5 level.