PDA

View Full Version : Was there a women's final?

richied
06-07-2009, 03:47 PM
HAHAHHAHA...I tell ya the WTA must be embarassed at the moment...not even a full stadium for the womens final...and 'one dimensional' Safina( hit the crap out of it and pray) is still your world no 1. The crowd just didn't seem to give a crap either...funny stuff...when you look back in 5 years I bet you many tennis fans couldn't tell you who won the womens French Open 2009. Such a non-event...equal pay my arse...couldn't even bring in a full house!

shrakkie
06-07-2009, 03:49 PM
I don't understand, women's what? Tennis final? When was this?

Defcon
06-07-2009, 04:07 PM
Its a disgrace they get equal prize money.

Feņa14
06-07-2009, 04:10 PM
Its a disgrace they get equal prize money.

I have to agree.

I feel quite embarassed if I get something that deep down I know I don't really deserve, i'm sure they feel something similar.

ElSuegro
06-07-2009, 05:31 PM
It wasn't much of a final. Kind of reminded me when Graf beat Zvereva 6-0, 6-0 in about 45 minutes.

And I'll believe Kuznetsova deserves equal prize money when she beats the same 7 guys that Federer did - equal pay for equal performance.

jamesblakefan#1
06-07-2009, 07:57 PM
Who won the French Open 2004? Honestly couldn't guess off my head, would say Henin b/c she wins every year before she retired.

Serendipitous
06-07-2009, 07:59 PM
There was no women's final.

After watching it I felt cheated, sort of like the people who purchased tickets for the final.......

I felt like I actually didn't watch anything.....the final was erased from my memory soon after it was over.....

.....how disappointing......:(

jamesblakefan#1
06-07-2009, 08:02 PM
Just googled it. It was Myskina. That says enough right there. Who won it in 2003??? 2002??? 2001???????

oberyn
06-07-2009, 08:21 PM
Just googled it. It was Myskina. That says enough right there. Who won it in 2003??? 2002??? 2001???????

2001 was Capriati. 2002 was Serena Williams. I think 2003 was Henin, but I'm not entirely sure and am too lazy to look it up.

I watched the women's final. Definitely not high quality, but these things do go in cycles. By that I mean, we're not that far removed from the days when pundits were asking "What's wrong with men's tennis?" Just imagine this year's French Open if Haas beats Federer the day after Soderling beat Nadal. A Robredo-Soderling final wouldn't exactly be the lead story on Sportscenter.

There have been some similarly low-quality men's finals over the years (i.e., not a competitive match and neither player gunning for "history", so to speak). Hewitt-Nalbandian at Wimbledon in 2002 jumps immediately to mind (everyone was talking about the second-straight all-Williams final on the men's side), as does Korda-Rios at the 1998 Aussie Open followed the next year by that "classic" Kafelnikov-Enqvist thriller (a major skipped by the ATP's #1 player, for crying out loud). And if you weren't an Agassi fan, I can't imagine one deriving much enjoyment from watching Andre beat the immortal Rainer Schuettler like a drum.

Henin's retirement left a big void in the women's game, but I think it's too early to be penning the WTA's obituary.

jamesblakefan#1
06-07-2009, 08:26 PM
It's not like people enjoyed watching Henin beatdown the likes of Ivanovic and Kuznetsova in the finals handily. So it's not as though her absence would have made a difference. Probably Safina would have lost 6-0, 6-0 instead.

<3tennis!!!
06-07-2009, 08:29 PM
its an embarassment to tennis that safina gets to play on the same court as fed

Docalex007
06-07-2009, 08:31 PM
What's WTA? LMAO... to be honest I haven't bothered looking at the WTA rankings in years... shows how much I care when on the other hand I can name you all the top 20 ATP pros and in what order.

WTA is a joke. Equal pay is absurd and outrageous. It seems political correctness has gone horribly wrong. I don't mind them getting equal pay... but they should also then play best of 5 setters!!!!

oberyn
06-07-2009, 08:37 PM
It's not like people enjoyed watching Henin beatdown the likes of Ivanovic and Kuznetsova in the finals handily. So it's not as though her absence would have made a difference. Probably Safina would have lost 6-0, 6-0 instead.

I disagree. Substitute another player (one not gunning for history) for Federer in today's men's final with the same scoreline and lack of in-match drama with respect to outcome and you wouldn't have had a particularly compelling match. You'd have had a rather routine 3-set victory. Like I said in an earlier post, Robredo-Soderling's not going to get much buzz.

If Henin had been gunning for, let's say a 5th straight French Open title, that would, at least, have given folks some reason to tune in.

jamesblakefan#1
06-07-2009, 08:47 PM
OK, true and all valid pts. But at least here in America, Henin wasn't as generally recognizable as the Williamses, Sharapova, even Ivanovic would probably get higher interest level from the general public. And that's nothing to do with tennis, just the aestetics of the thing. In women's tennis, most general sports fans here in America only care about looks. And Henin, as great as she was, didn't have the looks or the personality to "move the needle", if you will.

AznHylite
06-07-2009, 09:29 PM
I disagree. Substitute another player (one not gunning for history) for Federer in today's men's final with the same scoreline and lack of in-match drama with respect to outcome and you wouldn't have had a particularly compelling match. You'd have had a rather routine 3-set victory. Like I said in an earlier post, Robredo-Soderling's not going to get much buzz.

If Henin had been gunning for, let's say a 5th straight French Open title, that would, at least, have given folks some reason to tune in.

At least the men would play better than the women. Besides, I would have watched the final even if Fed wasn't there. We are talking about Soderling, the guy who beat NADAL at the FO! That's pretty exciting stuff already.

vbranis
06-07-2009, 10:22 PM
Yeah, the WTA has really gone down the drain in the last few years. I mean, back in the 90s, it was OK, there were some interesting matches/players. But now...:neutral:

Equal prize money? Please! Don't get me started.

R_Federer
06-07-2009, 11:11 PM
The only thing I liked about the WTA was being able to see Capriati's nipple, I must confess lol.

thalivest
06-07-2009, 11:12 PM
OK, true and all valid pts. But at least here in America, Henin wasn't as generally recognizable as the Williamses, Sharapova, even Ivanovic would probably get higher interest level from the general public. And that's nothing to do with tennis, just the aestetics of the thing. In women's tennis, most general sports fans here in America only care about looks. And Henin, as great as she was, didn't have the looks or the personality to "move the needle", if you will.

Yes sadly this is true. As a serious tennis fan it seems a joke anyway would rather watch Ivanovic or even Sharapova in a big final than Henin, but that is the mindset of the casual tennis fan.

R_Federer
06-07-2009, 11:14 PM
But its true...the women's game was doing better than the men's a few years ago. Essentially the gap between when Sampras left and Federer started to dominate. Men's tennis was boring then! The WTA had more appeal at the time.

thalivest
06-07-2009, 11:16 PM
Yeah, the WTA has really gone down the drain in the last few years. I mean, back in the 90s, it was OK, there were some interesting matches/players. But now...:neutral:

Equal prize money? Please! Don't get me started.

Womens tennis currently has the worst field ever. Actually it has since atleast 2006 I would say. Only 3 or 4 capable players at most since then. Henin, Mauresmo, Sharapova, surrounded by a bunch of dwarfes in 2006 (Williams barely played and were invincible even when they did that year, Davenport injured most of the year and a minimal factor, Clijsters despite making semis was retired mentally and all but tanking as far as trying to win anything big again). Then in 2007 Henin, Venus, Serena, surrounded by nothing (Maria injured and ineffective most of the year). Then in 2008 with Henin's retirement and Maria's continued injury woes it gets even worse, although thankfully the Williams hold their form to salvage something of the womens game. Now in 2009 it is only about even with 2008 so far. Worst womens field ever IMO.

Alafter
06-07-2009, 11:22 PM
Wow this is such a sexist thread. I can't believe all these insults to the woman's final! I thought it was a pretty good match between Henin and Serena!

ClubHoUno
06-07-2009, 11:54 PM
As Mats Wilander said on Eurosport, the women need to start playing with heavy topspin, when the flat ball illudes them :lol:

thalivest
06-08-2009, 03:42 AM
There was and it sucked. What a shock!

marpiw
06-08-2009, 04:40 AM
I agree.I never saw a more empty court for a final of a Grand Slam tournament with such an unemotional crowd...
I think that this time I wouldnt have gone to watch this match even if I got the plane ticket and the admission ticket for free...Kuznetsova was no guarantee and Safina,the supposed number one,didnt overcome yet her inferiority complex and she is not well aware of her position...so fortunately I stayed at home and after the match I forgot all of it...The only image I can recall is the face of the number one crying as a baby for the loss...HAHAHHAHA...I tell ya the WTA must be embarassed at the moment...not even a full stadium for the womens final...and 'one dimensional' Safina( hit the crap out of it and pray) is still your world no 1. The crowd just didn't seem to give a crap either...funny stuff...when you look back in 5 years I bet you many tennis fans couldn't tell you who won the womens French Open 2009. Such a non-event...equal pay my arse...couldn't even bring in a full house!

MethodTennis
06-08-2009, 05:07 AM
It wasn't much of a final. Kind of reminded me when Graf beat Zvereva 6-0, 6-0 in about 45 minutes.

And I'll believe Kuznetsova deserves equal prize money when she beats the same 7 guys that Federer did - equal pay for equal performance.

i would agree for most tournaments but not GS's women should have to play best of 5 set matches at slams if they want equal pay IMO

Stinkdyr
06-08-2009, 05:16 AM
Give Kuzzy a little credit. She played a solid match. Safina just pulled a WTA choke session as usual. You have to admit, Sod didn't exactly perform as hoped in the men's final either.

David_Is_Right
06-08-2009, 05:20 AM
HAHAHHAHA...I tell ya the WTA must be embarassed at the moment...not even a full stadium for the womens final...

I agree.I never saw a more empty court for a final of a Grand Slam tournament

Are you people delusional? You completely lie in order justify your childish opinions.

Looks pretty full to me...

http://www.canvasrepublic.co.uk/test/01.jpg

http://www.canvasrepublic.co.uk/test/02.jpg

http://www.canvasrepublic.co.uk/test/03.jpg

marpiw
06-08-2009, 10:27 AM
On my Tv set I saw tons of empty ROWS.I wasnt in the court but I suppose that the match was not sold over and that you could get a ticket in the place you wished until the last second previous of the match.
So I find that that final match ticket sale was a complete failure which gives you a hint of the actual popularity of the WTA.
Your photos do not match with what I've seen in Eurosport broadcasting.Or your photos are not from the match or Eurosport broadcast was made from Saharas desert.Are you people delusional? You completely lie in order justify your childish opinions.

Looks pretty full to me...

http://www.canvasrepublic.co.uk/test/01.jpg

http://www.canvasrepublic.co.uk/test/02.jpg

http://www.canvasrepublic.co.uk/test/03.jpg