PDA

View Full Version : Will Fed Finally Get SI Cover?

marc45
06-07-2009, 04:39 PM
yes.......

ninman
06-07-2009, 04:41 PM
Nope Agassi will because he presented him with the trophy, lol.

BigServer1
06-07-2009, 04:43 PM
No. Tiger just stormed back to win the memorial (worst news EVER in the States for Federer b/c all the media will look at a small golf tourney as a bigger deal than the French Open), Brett Favre is going to make a 437th comeback, there will be a winner of the Stanley Cup finals and the NBA finals, and Tiger will be contending for a US Open title and major #15. Not to mention NFL mini camps, Baseball All-Star weekend, NBA draft, etc.

There are literally hundreds of things that American media outlets would rather discuss than tennis. It's a shame, because if the sport was marketed better in the states (and had some decent American players...), it might be more popular.

IF Federer goes on to win a 6th Wimbledon and pass Sampras in the process, MAYBE he would get a cover, but even then, it would probably be a sidebar or a small insert picture.

There are 8 weeks a year when I hate living in the US, and we're in one of those two week spurts right now.

malakas
06-07-2009, 04:47 PM
I don't think so.Maybe after his 15th....maybe.

ghostbear
06-07-2009, 04:48 PM
Nah. Maybe if he did against Nadal in a similar fashion to Wimby 08. But not after the snoozefest of a match today.

marc45
06-07-2009, 04:50 PM
i think you're exagerating bs1.....tiger's win was not a major and he's already won since coming back....favre, you're joking of course....hockey is not big enough even with a marquee series, and the nba finals won't be finished (in time) and has already had a cover i believe...this is his moment, i think si will finally be embarrassed into it

jukka1970
06-07-2009, 04:52 PM
yes.......

probably not, because SI is only interested in the 4 major sports in the US, and the swimsuit models. Not to mention the arrogance that is in their magazine, which unfortunately is also the way some Americans think.

This magazine is arrogant, and thinks that only American athletes count. If I were Federer, and SI asked me to do a cover, I'd tell them to drop dead, and ask, where were you for all the other athletes that aren't from the US?

BigServer1
06-07-2009, 04:53 PM
i think you're exagerating bs1.....tiger's was not a major and he's already won since coming back....favre, you're joking of course....hockey is not big enough even with a marquee series, and the nba finals won't be finished (in time) and has already had a cover i believe...this is his moment, i think si will finally be embarrassed into it

I will happily eat my words if you're correct, but SI has proven time and time again that they don't really care about tennis.

Sadly, I'm not joking about Favre. He had surgery to repair the tendon in his shoulder and will probably play for the Vikings. If this is announced in the next 2-3 weeks, it will be on the cover of SI. Hockey >>> Tennis (in the states), NBA >>>>>>>>>>> Tennis (especially if Kobe gets a ring without Shaq), and Tiger will dominate the sporting news if he wins #15 at Bethpage Black next week.

I hope I'm wrong, the guy deserves a cover.

marc45
06-07-2009, 04:54 PM
i just think it's coming.....i really think it's getting embarrassing and it has to be done for credibility sake

AprilFool
06-07-2009, 04:56 PM
No. Tiger just stormed back to win the memorial (worst news EVER in the States for Federer b/c all the media will look at a small golf tourney as a bigger deal than the French Open), Brett Favre is going to make a 437th comeback, there will be a winner of the Stanley Cup finals and the NBA finals, and Tiger will be contending for a US Open title and major #15. Not to mention NFL mini camps, Baseball All-Star weekend, NBA draft, etc.

There are literally hundreds of things that American media outlets would rather discuss than tennis. It's a shame, because if the sport was marketed better in the states (and had some decent American players...), it might be more popular.

IF Federer goes on to win a 6th Wimbledon and pass Sampras in the process, MAYBE he would get a cover, but even then, it would probably be a sidebar or a small insert picture.

There are 8 weeks a year when I hate living in the US, and we're in one of those two week spurts right now.

You are correct.

marc45
06-07-2009, 05:00 PM
i will except nothing less than bar rafaeli completely naked (no hands covering anything up) if it's not fed

ninman
06-07-2009, 05:00 PM
Jimmy Jump will.

marc45
06-07-2009, 05:01 PM
You are correct..............................

malakas
06-07-2009, 05:01 PM
Sports Illustrated isn't that important anyway.Who cares what they put on cover?

marc45
06-07-2009, 05:02 PM
and bs1, i had eight years, just to drag some politics into it

marc45
06-07-2009, 05:03 PM
Sports Illustrated isn't that important anyway.Who cares what they put on cover?it's not anymore, but it's important as it gets, if you know what i mean

malakas
06-07-2009, 05:04 PM
it's not anymore, but it's important as it gets, if you know what i mean

I am not sure,but it's only a magazine that a fraction of american middle class men read.So,imo I couldn't care less if they put Federer or Kobe.

marc45
06-07-2009, 05:08 PM

marc45
06-07-2009, 05:10 PM
all i'm saying is that in a multi-media world with niche marketing it is one of the few mainsteam media honors for an athlete and it does have a pedigree...p.s. jon wertheim will have to grovel again....and his book seems a little less relevant or important now

malakas
06-07-2009, 05:11 PM
ok,maybe it's not so important for people out of america then.certainly not for europeans.

marc45
06-07-2009, 05:16 PM
i understand that, but tennis is a world sport and federer is the ultimate world-class athlete and sporting sophisticate if you will....i bet it matters just a bit for him

DoubleDeuce
06-07-2009, 05:19 PM
If Netjet buys some ad in the Mag I am sure he will.

egn
06-07-2009, 05:41 PM
Its okay SI is slowly losing its credibility bit by bit, there are points when I go damn even ESPN produces better articles. Its okay though tennis is on the rise in America, even if it is not the spectacle the sport itself is you can see it by the fact that courts are starting to get filled up. I actually had to wait at a public court recently and I was actually happy to know more people are playing the sport.

egn
06-07-2009, 05:42 PM
Nope. SI is a joke. They'll have NASCAR crap over Federer any day. Americans have no taste. They prefer cars driving around in circles instead of the challenges of F1.

Americans are addicted to violence: American football, NHL (as opposed to international hockey), NASCAR, monster truck rallies, WWF, ultimate fighting, ... and they love to shoot each other with their precious guns. On top of that, they are a bunch of Jesus freaks.

Hey I hate American football, NASCAR, monster trucks and all that crap... =[

I aint no Jesus freak either..not all Americans are like that. =[

NHL ehh I aint huge on any hockey.