PDA

View Full Version : The points system

Daveyo
06-07-2009, 04:58 PM
Can someone explain the mens singles point system? Does Rafa gain any points for making it to the quaters, or does he just lose points? Does Fed gain 2000 points for winning the French?

Daveyo
06-09-2009, 01:09 PM
Wow hard to beleive nobody knows this question, I guess its harder than I thought.

theduh
06-09-2009, 01:33 PM
Well if you're a tennis fan then you would know and a lot of people here know. Anyway if you'd do a little search here on the boards you'd find the answer but I think this is might give you a better understanding on how the ranking\points works

http://www.atpworldtour.com/tennis/en/players/information/rankfaq.asp#rank

Max G.
06-09-2009, 01:41 PM
Can someone explain the mens singles point system? Does Rafa gain any points for making it to the quaters, or does he just lose points? Does Fed gain 2000 points for winning the French?

Or, it's an easy question and nobody feels like answering you because you only gave it a half hour before complaining...

When you win a tournament (or get to a certain round in a tournament), you get points for it.

A year later, those points expire.

So, at the end of the French open, the points Federer earned last year from making the final expire. He also gets new points from winning it this year; since winning it gives him more points than getting to the final, the total amount of points he has increases.

Last year, Nadal won the tournament. This year, those points expired. In this year's French Open, he got points for however many rounds he won. So, in total, the amount of points he has decreased (lost last year's, gained this year's; this years are less than last year's, since he didn't do as well.)

Daveyo
06-20-2009, 02:19 PM
Or, it's an easy question and nobody feels like answering you because you only gave it a half hour before complaining...

When you win a tournament (or get to a certain round in a tournament), you get points for it.

A year later, those points expire.

So, at the end of the French open, the points Federer earned last year from making the final expire. He also gets new points from winning it this year; since winning it gives him more points than getting to the final, the total amount of points he has increases.

Last year, Nadal won the tournament. This year, those points expired. In this year's French Open, he got points for however many rounds he won. So, in total, the amount of points he has decreased (lost last year's, gained this year's; this years are less than last year's, since he didn't do as well.)

Thanks for responding, but it wasn't a half hour it was literally hours later, don't know why it said half hour. But anyway I didn't post as sarcasm I just thought it was a hard question, I see why you guys might get defensive though it seems people here bicker a lot. But please forgive me because I didn't mean to offend anyone. Thank you very much for explaining that Max, I also did a search but came up with nothing hat explained the system very well. Have fun watching Wimbledon!!

batz
06-20-2009, 02:27 PM
http://www.atpworldtour.com/Rankings/Rankings-FAQ.aspx

Rhino
06-20-2009, 03:12 PM
it seems people here bicker a lot.

Yep. This board is basically a continuous argument about Nadals knees and whether federer is the greatest of all time.