PDA

View Full Version : This place is funny..

adidas_wilson
06-07-2009, 05:57 PM
I just get a laugh when I see a whole page filled with the rubbish that we have seen in the last 12 hours.

What gets me, is that you have a whole bunch of people that are probably nothing more than 2.5 Tuesday Night Ladies B social players, talking like they are an authority on Tennis, and an authority on the career of Roger Federer.

To some of us that have been tournament players and actually wanted to turn pro. I find it hard to accept that there is so much nastiness and ill-will going on in this place?

The guy has just achieved a feat that even the best Pro's wished they could achieve. Yet we have pre-pubesant kids, and overly imaginative adults trash talking the guy simply because he isn't "their" guy...

The fact is, until they themselves, and therefor "their" guys are able to do what he has done. Then all I ask is that if you are a fan of tennis. Then surely you can appreciate and accept the history that has been made today.

And understand that history isn't made in this way all that often.. So why the hate? Today is a day that we may not see for many years to come, unless Roger continues to win and extend his lead of Sampras and the like.

namui
06-07-2009, 06:06 PM
Thread of the year.

Nice said.

Purostaff
06-07-2009, 06:06 PM
That's funny because I just get a laugh when I see a whole page filled with the rubbish that we have seen in the last 12 hours.

What gets me, is that you have a whole bunch of people that are probably nothing more than 2.5 Tuesday Night Ladies B social players, talking like they are an authority on Tennis, and an authority on the career of Roger Federer.

To some of us that have been tournament players and actually wanted to turn pro. I find it hard to accept that there is so much nastiness and ill-will going on in this place?

The guy has just achieved a feat that even the best Pro's wished they could achieve. Yet we have pre-pubesant kids, and overly imaginative adults trash talking the guy simply because he isn't "their" guy...

The fact is, until they themselves, and therefor "their" guys are able to do what he has done. Then all I ask is that if you are a fan of tennis. Then surely you can appreciate and accept the history that has been made today.

And understand that history isn't made in this way all that often.. So why the hate? Today is a day that we may not see for many years to come, unless Roger continues to win and extend his lead of Sampras and the like.

Morrissey
06-07-2009, 06:13 PM
adidas wilson and purostaff made a boo boo and posted the same thing while not noticing he used a different handle.

THESEXPISTOL
06-07-2009, 06:18 PM
100% with you..
i prefer when fed wins but when a good players arrives and wins like Nadal, Del Potro, Murray and now Soderling we just have to like because it will only make tennis better...
Those *******s and *******s or whatever you want to call them don't like tennis.. They just think that tennis is like soccer or basketball where you pick your favourite team and the goal is to demolish all the others..
Tennis is not like that.. Tennis is a gentlemans sports where you should appreciate every player and don't be biased about anyone..

adidas_wilson
06-07-2009, 06:34 PM
adidas wilson and purostaff made a boo boo and posted the same thing while not noticing he used a different handle.

Em, Are you suggesting we are one and the same?

If you are, then I am sorry, but I don't know why the guy just re-posted my post?. Although he did change the start of it, and again, as to why. I don't know..

Sorry Morrissey. I thought the conspiracy theories died with gj011?

adidas_wilson
06-07-2009, 06:36 PM
100% with you..
i prefer when fed wins but when a good players arrives and wins like Nadal, Del Potro, Murray and now Soderling we just have to like because it will only make tennis better...
Those *******s and *******s or whatever you want to call them don't like tennis.. They just think that tennis is like soccer or basketball where you pick your favourite team and the goal is to demolish all the others..
Tennis is not like that.. Tennis is a gentlemans sports where you should appreciate every player and don't be biased about anyone..

That's why I think this place is funny. It is being run, and taken over by simple fanatics, and not people with a true tennis appreciation..

Its a shame..

jukka1970
06-07-2009, 06:38 PM

If you are, then I am sorry, but I don't know why the guy just re-posted my post?. Although he did change the start of it, and again, as to why. I don't know..

What most likely happened, is that the other person wanted there response to go above the quote, and accidentally deleted the [ before the word Quote, only takes one change and the two postings won't be seperate

Jukka

egn
06-07-2009, 06:41 PM
How do you know who has not played top level tennis and might have wanted to turn pro? You don't know most of these posters personally at all and before you claim most of them are not knowledgeable of the sport or can speak on tennis you should realize that almost 90 percent of the posters play tennis quite often. Hell a fair share sport their racquets in their sigs like you do as well. I personally never was going to go pro in tennis as I focused more on my academics but I have played tennis tournaments and there was times when I played tennis daily. I never felt that I was good enough to go pro and make a lifestyle and academics came first.

valiant
06-07-2009, 06:44 PM
I love it when nadal freak and mungo posts their views. Its so much exciting .I cant help but read. LOL.

adidas_wilson
06-07-2009, 06:44 PM
How do you know who has not played top level tennis and might have wanted to turn pro? You don't know most of these posters personally at all and before you claim most of them are not knowledgeable of the sport or can speak on tennis you should realize that almost 90 percent of the posters play tennis quite often. Hell a fair share sport their racquets in their sigs like you do as well. I personally never was going to go pro in tennis as I focused more on my academics but I have played tennis tournaments and there was times when I played tennis daily. I never felt that I was good enough to go pro and make a lifestyle and academics came first.

Ok fair enough. My original opinion of the posters was a little harsh. And was only using that phrasing in response to the childish and silly posts and threads being made of late..

The point I am making however, is that no matter who you are. It is not every day that someone makes history at anything, let alone Tennis. And so if it is simply a case of "your" guy not being to that same level is the reason you re hating. Then you definately do not deserve any respect as a poster.

Blinkism
06-07-2009, 06:47 PM
Great thread adidas_wilson.

For all the guys out there in the ITF futures/challenger circuit or even just local leagues, to even achieve 1/10000's of what Federer has achieved would be huge.

jamesblakefan#1
06-07-2009, 06:49 PM
I consider myself to be a level headed guy, and I agree. It's embarassing when you see 10 different threads on why Fed's still not the GOAT within an hour of the final ending.

Lendl and Federer Fan
06-07-2009, 06:53 PM
I just get a laugh when I see a whole page filled with the rubbish that we have seen in the last 12 hours.

Good post and the one from Purostuff, if you hang out here more often, you would find there are a lot of entertaining materials posted by Morrisy?, Nadal_freak?, and gh0001?. :) Sweet revenge today. :)

JeMar
06-07-2009, 06:56 PM
I consider myself to be a level headed guy, and I agree. It's embarassing when you see 10 different threads on why Fed's still not the GOAT within an hour of the final ending.

I'm very level-headed and I maintain the position that it's impossible to declare someone a GOAT because there are too many nuances to the argument. Federer is clearly the best player out of this generation, and possibly the last. However, the game has changed way too much over the last forty years to be able to make such a definitive statement.

I believe it is the irrational and childish view to see matters as a question and black and white, while the world is inherently gray.

And really, my post was a rebuttal to gems like this: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=266461 and this: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=266418

ODYSSEY Mk.4
06-07-2009, 06:59 PM
lets be honest... the internet can be a very stupid place.
but 100% agreewith the OP

jamesblakefan#1
06-07-2009, 07:01 PM
^^^This I agree with. This whole GOAT thing has gotten out of hand. Even on the telecas they were trying to force his anointing as the GOAT. At the end of the day, its a matter of opinion and not fact. Simple as that. It's like arguing over who's hotter, Jessica Alba or Jessica Biel. Some are going to choose one over the other, while some are going to say one of them's completely ugly and shouldn't even be in the conversation. This is pretty much how all GOAT arguments go.

vtmike
06-07-2009, 07:02 PM
I'm very level-headed and I maintain the position that it's impossible to declare someone a GOAT because there are too many nuances to the argument. Federer is clearly the best player out of this generation, and possibly the last. However, the game has changed way too much over the last forty years to be able to make such a definitive statement.

I believe it is the irrational and childish view to see matters as a question and black and white, while the world is inherently gray.

And really, my post was a rebuttal to gems like this: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=266461

I agree with you...GOAT is a VERY subjective topic...A lot of personal preferences and emotions come into play when someone makes a case for the GOAT...Anyways here is an interesting point of view from Lendl,

ďItís not Rogerís fault that Laver didnít play five years,Ē Ivan Lendl said Sunday in a telephone interview. ďBut Iíve been thinking about this for a long time and I think the only conclusion you can reach right now is to split it ó Federer in the modern era and Laver from 1968 and back. But if Roger wins the next two or three, well, maybe you give it to him.Ē

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/08/sports/tennis/08araton.html?_r=1&em

skip1969
06-07-2009, 07:02 PM
i think if you spend any amount of time on this board, you will quickly find out which posters are bringing something to the table and which ones you ignore. it's the only way to survive the bs wars.

jamesblakefan#1
06-07-2009, 07:07 PM
^^^This I agree with. This whole GOAT thing has gotten out of hand. Even on the telecas they were trying to force his anointing as the GOAT. At the end of the day, its a matter of opinion and not fact. Simple as that. It's like arguing over who's hotter, Jessica Alba or Jessica Biel. Some are going to choose one over the other, while some are going to say one of them's completely ugly and shouldn't even be in the conversation. This is pretty much how all GOAT arguments go.

And then you're going to have people who want to bring Jessica Simpson into the discussion, b/c she's the best singer, but Biel-***** will argue that Biel is the best actress and Simpson can't act worth a crap, but Alba-***** will just say that Alba's hotter b/c she's a mother i'd ..... you know. This is basically how all the GOAT arguments sound in reality.

adidas_wilson
06-07-2009, 07:09 PM

And really, my post was a rebuttal to gems like this: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=266461 and this: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=266418

JeMar, with all due respect..

I have been reading a lot of your posts, and I know for fact that you are a Laver fan.. I must go on and say that as well as being a fellow Queenslander with Laver, I too am a huge fan of his achievments. Heck, my sister lives and has done so in his Native Rockhampton for the past 20 years. So know a great deal about the man.. Growing up in Queensland, and being lucky enough to be chosen to attending Ashley Coopers academy as a junior. The history of this sport and our country/state men was always being told to us..

However. This thread was not posted in order to call anyone a GOAT. Nor was it an invitation for anyone including yourself to continue in that vain..

I am sorry, but as I made clear, it is this kind of posting that I have tired of, of late on this site, and hope that even you yourself can respect that..

All I wanted to say, was that history was made today, and as it isn't done every day. Then lets just enjoy it...

Morrissey
06-07-2009, 07:12 PM

What conspiracy, having more than one handle is nothing complex. Quite easy unless you make an obvious mistake like the one you made earlier.

adidas_wilson
06-07-2009, 07:14 PM
What conspiracy, having more than one handle is nothing complex. Quite easy unless you make an obvious mistake like the one you made earlier.

Go away child..

Is this what you do all day?

You must feel smug and proud of yourself?

vtmike
06-07-2009, 07:17 PM

Are you talking from experience? ;) Just Kidding...

JeMar
06-07-2009, 07:18 PM

I have been reading a lot of your posts, and I know for fact that you are a Laver fan.. I must go on and say that as well as being a fellow Queenslander with Laver, I too am a huge fan of his achievments. Heck, my sister lives and has done so in his Native Rockhampton for the past 20 years. So know a great deal about the man.. Growing up in Queensland, and being lucky enough to be chosen to attending Ashley Coopers academy as a junior. The history of this sport and our country/state men was always being told to us..

However. This thread was not posted in order to call anyone a GOAT. Nor was it an invitation for anyone including yourself to continue in that vain..

I am sorry, but as I made clear, it is this kind of posting that I have tired of, of late on this site, and hope that even you yourself can respect that..

All I wanted to say, was that history was made today, and as it isn't done every day. Then lets just enjoy it...

Actually, I chose my avatar because I didn't want to be labeled as a fan of any one current particular player, but if you must know, my absolute favorite player of all-time is Federer. You can go digging through my post history if you have any doubt. I really like Laver too, but unfortunately I wasn't around to watch him play, so all my exposure to him has been through video tape and youtube. Federer is my generation's Laver.

I was very much moved by his victory today, and I absolutely agree that history was indeed made on this day. I knew the kind of pandemonium that would ensue on this website, given all the recent trials that die-hard Federer fans like myself have had to endure, so I went ahead and posted a thread in which I try to make the case that Federer isn't the GOAT quite yet. I know how ******** some of Federer's fans can be and I hate how bad they can make the rest of us look, so I felt it'd be best to provide some alternate perspective.

I believed that by posting this, you were implying that Federer was in fact the greatest player of all time, and by that you were speaking out against some of the threads that were made earlier, one of which I authored, so I felt obliged to respond. If that truly wasn't your purpose, then I guess I misunderstood.

And I'm totally 100% with you on enjoying what went on today.

adidas_wilson
06-07-2009, 07:25 PM
Actually, I chose my avatar because I didn't want to be labeled as a fan of any one current particular player, but if you must know, my absolute favorite player of all-time is Federer. You can go digging through my post history if you have any doubt. I really like Laver too, but unfortunately I wasn't around to watch him play, so all my exposure to him has been through video tape and youtube. Federer is my generation's Laver.

I was very much moved by his victory today, and I absolutely agree that history was indeed made on this day. I knew the kind of pandemonium that would ensue on this website, given all the recent trials that die-hard Federer fans like myself have had to endure, so I went ahead and posted a thread in which I try to make the case that Federer isn't the GOAT quite yet. I know how ******** some of Federer's fans can be and I hate how bad they can make the rest of us look, so I felt it'd be best to provide some alternate perspective.

I believed that by posting this, you were implying that Federer was in fact the greatest player of all time, and by that you were speaking out against some of the threads that were made earlier, one of which I authored, so I felt obliged to respond. If that truly wasn't your purpose, then I guess I misunderstood.

And I'm totally 100% with you on enjoying what went on today.

Cool banana's mate..

I am a Fed fan, and although I am still of the opinion 2 calender slams is hard to beat. I have always been of the opinion that because everyone carries on about the changes in today's game. I would be happy to accept Federer's career slam as a measuring stick.

Federer has however taken over Sampras in the modern era for what he has achieved yesterday.

CyBorg
06-07-2009, 08:04 PM

And I say Marilyn Monroe is way hotter. I don't care what you have to say about her era. :)

adidas_wilson
06-07-2009, 08:12 PM
And I say Marilyn Monroe is way hotter. I don't care what you have to say about her era. :)

Yawn................

edmondsm
06-07-2009, 08:17 PM

Now that's a post.

pmerk34
06-07-2009, 08:19 PM

A lot of people here are jealous because they aren't pro's.

bruce38
06-07-2009, 08:19 PM

How black and white of you to outright declare the world as inherently gray.

adidas_wilson
06-07-2009, 08:26 PM
A lot of people here are jealous because they aren't pro's.

That is very true..

I had a go at it, but wasn't good enough plain and simple..

adidas_wilson
06-07-2009, 10:42 PM
How black and white of you to outright declare the world as inherently gray.

Now now.. .....

rafan
06-08-2009, 12:29 AM

We people who follow tennis are darn experts by now and we know a lot more than some of these commentators I can assure you. We may not be hight standard but intuition can play a big part on deciding the outcome of a match. We know when there is something wrong with a player because we do follow tennis and not just get paid for a lot of twaddle written in a sports colum

adidas_wilson
06-08-2009, 01:03 AM
We people who follow tennis are darn experts by now and we know a lot more than some of these commentators I can assure you. We may not be hight standard but intuition can play a big part on deciding the outcome of a match. We know when there is something wrong with a player because we do follow tennis and not just get paid for a lot of twaddle written in a sports colum

I highly doubt that;)

I have always said. If you have a players name in your user name, or a picture of one in your avatar, then you are biased..

I give you full cred for watching and appreciating the sport. But unless you have tried your hand at excelling at it, then you are no more than the next Monday quarter back in all honesty..

Move on troll....

Noveson
06-08-2009, 01:05 AM

You're a funny one.

And to the OP, get off your soapbox

adidas_wilson
06-08-2009, 01:06 AM
You're a funny one.

And to the OP, get off your soapbox

What soap box would that be then?

theduh
06-08-2009, 01:29 AM

I only have 3 words for you

"Welcome to TTW"

adidas_wilson
06-08-2009, 01:35 AM
I only have 3 words for you

"Welcome to TTW"

Thank you mate.. :)

Leublu tennis
06-08-2009, 01:58 AM
That's funny because I just get a laugh when I see a whole page filled with the rubbish that we have seen in the last 12 hours.

And understand that history isn't made in this way all that often.. So why the hate? Today is a day that we may not see for many years to come, unless Roger continues to win and extend his lead of Sampras and the like.What a coincidence. Very similar posts, almost like two versions, from two "different" guys. Games from supposedly serious people.

adidas_wilson
06-08-2009, 02:00 AM
What a coincidence. Very similar posts, almost like two versions, from two "different" guys. Games from supposedly serious people.

Oh, didn't you know, Morrisey thinks we are the same because the guy ef's up a post and puts mine in instead of just quoting it..

Power Player
06-08-2009, 04:34 AM
Oh, didn't you know, Morrisey thinks we are the same because the guy ef's up a post and puts mine in instead of just quoting it..

The guy did not F up the post..he just made fun of your post. It's just a message board thing that has been done to death on other boards besides this one.

I agree with the first post. This pro discussion board seems kind of silly sometimes. But a lot of people have played tournament level tennis here, so that comes off as condescending.

Stinkdyr
06-08-2009, 04:38 AM
Look, GOAT opinions are like bungholes...everyone has one.

rafan
06-08-2009, 05:37 AM
I highly doubt that;)

I have always said. If you have a players name in your user name, or a picture of one in your avatar, then you are biased..

I give you full cred for watching and appreciating the sport. But unless you have tried your hand at excelling at it, then you are no more than the next Monday quarter back in all honesty..

Move on troll....

I take it you are one of the top ten - please let me know and I will rout for you

sureshs
06-08-2009, 07:06 AM
I find it funny that OP would read all the threads and then post about them instead of working on his tournament play.

Purostaff
06-08-2009, 10:07 AM
Are you aware that there are people in this world that have a severe medical condition which causes them to be that way? My mother for instance is one of those people. She is a truck driver that has bad knees and a bad back from driving the truck but you probably do not care about that case either. Oh well I am not one of those people I am 6'4" 245lbs and I exercise every day. I would love to see you say something like to my mother in front of me. Probably never happen though you are probably just an internet tough guy. I doubt very seriously you would say that to someones face. Just my thought.What do you think. Oh I am sorry you probably do not have a brain. I on the other hand will be happy to buy you a plane ticket to come here and see if you have the nerve to say that to someone I know.

Power Player
06-08-2009, 10:19 AM
Are you aware that there are people in this world that have a severe medical condition which causes them to be that way? My mother for instance is one of those people. She is a truck driver that has bad knees and a bad back from driving the truck but you probably do not care about that case either. Oh well I am not one of those people I am 6'4" 245lbs and I exercise every day. I would love to see you say something like to my mother in front of me. Probably never happen though you are probably just an internet tough guy. I doubt very seriously you would say that to someones face. Just my thought.What do you think. Oh I am sorry you probably do not have a brain. I on the other hand will be happy to buy you a plane ticket to come here and see if you have the nerve to say that to someone I know.

hahaha..must be a miscer!

Purostaff
06-08-2009, 10:20 AM
hahaha..must be a miscer!

But at wat cost?