PDA

View Full Version : What do you really need to become a pro?

THESEXPISTOL
06-07-2009, 07:42 PM
I hear a lot of people talking about professional players in other sports but i never understand the proccess to became a tennis pro..
Can someone explain me?

I guess that..
1- Win some juniors or lowranked tournaments if you are older that juniors
2- Get in the top5 of your country
3- Play ITF tournaments
4- Attend Challenges and QF of GS events if you have good sponsorts to give you $$$

Am i right?

kabob
06-07-2009, 07:55 PM
The Williams sisters never played juniors. They turned pro when Serena was 16 and Venus was 17.

IvanAndreevich
06-07-2009, 07:55 PM
I am not 100% positive, but..

We have a challenger around here. Anyone can enter the qualies. Just pay a fee, qualify, and earn ATP points.

Being pro = making a living from tennis, it being your full time job. So you just need to be ranked high enough to find sponsors / get enough prize money.

Blinkism
06-07-2009, 07:59 PM
Really IvanAndreevich?

I know anyone can apply to play a futures qualy, but I thought that for a challenger you need to be ranked.

but yeah, it is a full time job and if you don't start young you won't get those sponsors and you won't get into that competitive groove of spending half of your time playing tournaments and half the time in training.

It's a full time job, for sure. Unless you're supremely talented and can win tournaments on the side... that is professional tournaments, I mean.

Nanshiki
06-07-2009, 08:01 PM
You can't enter straight into Challenger qualifying. They're for people who actually have a ranking (main draw is top 500 I think?). You CAN get into Futures qualifying though, if there's a bye. Prepare to get double bageled in fifteen minutes. You will probably not win many points at all.

It costs a fortune to be a pro though. Up to six figures a year with coaching, travel, lodging, and other expenses. A coach will cost $2K+ A WEEK.

JeMar
06-07-2009, 08:06 PM
Lots of skill, lots of money, lots of discipline, and a good amount of luck.