PDA

View Full Version : I knew the day Rafa won't be in the finals, I will be there and I will win.

tennisplaya
06-07-2009, 07:55 PM
Roger Federer: (http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/news/interviews/2009-06-07/200906071244399093741.html)
"
I knew the day Rafa won't be in the finals, I will be there and I will win. I always knew and that I believed in it. That's exactly what happened. It's funny. I didn't hope for it,but I believed in it.
"
You have to give Federer respect for being brutally honest enough to admit that he needed Rafa not in the final for him to have a chance.

Lets hope Rafas knee injury recovers in time for Wimbledon!

Alafter
06-07-2009, 07:57 PM
Roger Rederer: (http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/news/interviews/2009-06-07/200906071244399093741.html)
"
I knew the day Rafa won't be in the finals, I will be there and I will win. I always knew and that I believed in it. That's exactly what happened. It's funny. I didn't hope for it,but I believed in it.
"
You have to give Federer respect for being brutally honest enough to admit that he needed Rafa not in the final for him to have a chance.

He's been wishing that for years now. I guess it's not news :D

RCizzle65
06-07-2009, 08:13 PM
So now Federer brings up the speed changes from previous years, very interesting.

Maybe it's easier to today to win the four in one year than it was 30 years ago when grass was much faster, when hard surfaces were much faster, when clay was what it was.

Viper
06-07-2009, 08:16 PM
I dislike this "Roger Rederer" character.

mentalcase
06-08-2009, 10:32 AM

LOL.

That's funny but kind of sad that he had no belief in beating Nadal at FO.

For Nadal to win Wimbledon he had to beat the best. For Fed to win RG he had to hope for the best to lose.

yung goon
06-08-2009, 10:35 AM
exactly right ^

joeri888
06-08-2009, 10:36 AM
Why is it sad? He was realistic. He didn't hope for Rafa to lose (that would be disrespectful and mentally draining watching him win easily every time) but he always said he needed to 'keep giving himself opportunities' and that always struck me. It's so true, because instead of giving up on your dream, you are going to try and increase the odds of you winning one in whichever way you can. He did just that by keep making it that far into the tournament. Suddenly, Rafa's not there and he actually deals with the pressure and does it

mandy01
06-08-2009, 10:38 AM
LOL.

For Nadal to win Wimbledon he had to beat the best. For Fed to win RG he had to hope for the best to lose. Read the whole interview please..he didnt say he couldnt beat Nadal..but he rightfully said that Nadal is the toughest contender on this surface and lets face it-He is.
But Roger has the kind of consistency that maybe Nadal is yet to achieve-So he only stated that Nadal not being in the final def. makes things easier for him.
He beat Nadal in Madrid ...not matter how much of a 'faux' clay it was.
So its not like he dosent believe he cant beat Nadal..but that he finds him the toughest to beat esp. in the finals of a clay event.

babbette
06-08-2009, 10:38 AM
I hope he said that in the acceptance speech. I didn't watch. I was jet skiing with Rafa.

AAAA
06-08-2009, 10:42 AM
Nadal couldn't stand the pace of keeping Roger down. Nadal has the game to do it as he's shown in the past but the strain of being #1 and thereby keeping roger at #2 has temporarily derailed him.

_maxi
06-08-2009, 11:07 AM
LOL.

For Nadal to win Wimbledon he had to beat the best. For Fed to win RG he had to hope for the best to lose.
And you have problems in your mind.. (not only you, all the ***** posting above me) do you know what a fallacy is?
Saying that without Nadal he knew he would win, doesn't mean that with Nadal he knew he wouldn't win. That's one of the most common fallacies. It's called negation of the antecedent.

veroniquem
06-08-2009, 11:10 AM
I hope he said that in the acceptance speech. I didn't watch. I was jet skiing with Rafa.
Lucky you! By the way I heard those photos were actually not recent and that they used older ones. Can you confirm that for me?

P_Agony
06-08-2009, 11:14 AM
Rafa is the worst match up for Federer, especially on clay. It's no wonder his chances are always low against him at RG. However, don't forget just a few weeks ago Roger did beat Rafa, on clay, in Spain no less.

Purostaff
06-08-2009, 11:15 AM
LOL.

LOL

Way to misinterpret the message people. Fed didn't say anything about having no chance against Nadal. He just meant that Nadal would be a tougher opponent. It's as simple as that. =_=

veroniquem
06-08-2009, 11:19 AM
Federer always brags. It's OK. Next time he'll lose something big, he'll be crying instead. That's his personality: snotty when he's on top, whiny when he's not. Really easy to say he knew he would win RG if Rafa lost AFTER THE FACT. For all we knew, this could have happened 3 or 4 years from now and at that age Fed could not have been sure of anything!
Actually, he was very lucky to be able to throw in that statement given the number of players at this RG who were dangerously close to beat him before the final. But sure now that he won, he can come up with the "I knew it", why not?

eagle
06-08-2009, 11:20 AM
The no. 3-1000 players feel the same about their chances of winning any major. Their only chance to grab one is if Nadal or Fed aren't there.

r,
eagle

World Beater
06-08-2009, 11:22 AM
Federer always brags. It's OK. Next time he'll lose something big, he'll be crying instead. That's his personality: snotty when he's on top, whiny when he's not. Really easy to say he knew he would win RG if Rafa lost AFTER THE FACT. For all we knew, this could have happened 3 or 4 years from now and at that age Fed could not have been sure of anything! Actually, he was very lucky to be able to throw in that statement given the number of players at this RG who were dangerously close to beat him before the final. But sure now that he won, he can come up with the "I knew it", why not?

federer said he believed he would win RG even after his trashing last year at the hands of nadal. he has said as much after the final last year...and even in rome this year when he lost to wawrinka.

so i am not sure where you r getting this info from.

mandy01
06-08-2009, 11:22 AM
Federer always brags. It's OK. Next time he'll lose something big, he'll be crying instead. That's his personality: snotty when he's on top, whiny when he's not. Really easy to say he knew he would win RG if Rafa lost AFTER THE FACT. For all we knew, this could have happened 3 or 4 years from now and at that age Fed could not have been sure of anything!
Actually, he was very lucky to be able to throw in that statement given the number of players at this RG who were dangerously close to beat him before the final. But sure now that he won, he can come up with the "I knew it", why not? are you really serious or do you just like posting vitriolic stuff for the heck of it?
I cannot believe the amount of bitterness you show.

icedevil0289
06-08-2009, 11:32 AM
are you really serious or do you just like posting vitriolic stuff for the heck of it?
I cannot believe the amount of bitterness you show.

Are you really surprised? I knew it it wouldn't take long before veroniquem jumped in and started the bashing.

Dutch-Guy
06-08-2009, 11:33 AM
What Fed said is true.Everybody knew,including Soderling,that Fed 'd easily win without Rafa.'d he have won with Rafa on the other side of the net? We 'll never know.

ghostbear
06-08-2009, 11:40 AM
Fed knows he would have had his *** handed to him had Nadal been on the opposite side of the court in the final. He probably would have made Fed cry too. :twisted:

malakas
06-08-2009, 11:40 AM
Great another trolling thread,where we take every sentence Federer ever said with the name Nadal in it,and analyse it to pieces.TW has become unbearable.

kraggy
06-08-2009, 12:16 PM
Great another trolling thread,where we take every sentence Federer ever said with the name Nadal in it,and analyse it to pieces.TW has become unbearable.

Well to be honest, outside of this thread, there are 10 threads about GOAT, another 10 about roger being the no 1 2 3 clay courter and so on and so forth.

Personally I think any new material of any kind is welcome.

IvanAndreevich
06-08-2009, 12:21 PM
Actually, he was very lucky to be able to throw in that statement given the number of players at this RG who were dangerously close to beat him before the final. But sure now that he won, he can come up with the "I knew it", why not?

I found a great article for you to read - http://www.atpworldtour.com/TENNIS/1/EN/NEWS/NEWSARTICLE_1986.ASP

malakas
06-08-2009, 12:23 PM
Well to be honest, outside of this thread, there are 10 threads about GOAT, another 10 about roger being the no 1 2 3 clay courter and so on and so forth.

Personally I think any new material of any kind is welcome.

I think TW now really sucks.

BorisBeckerFan
06-08-2009, 01:08 PM
I give Fed tons of Credit for countinuing to show up. He persevered.

onehandbh
06-08-2009, 01:11 PM
Fed did the same thing w/Leander Paes. Fed couldn't
beat him (0-1 record) so he just had to keep trying to
make it to finals and hope that one day he wouldn't
run into Paes so that he could win the tournament.
It worked. He's never played Paes since...

Nadal_Freak
06-08-2009, 01:13 PM
I was hoping Fed would be more gracious in his win. It could be worse though.

thejoe
06-08-2009, 01:36 PM

Dude, he's pretty much saying, if Nadal was there, I wouldn't have this title. That's pretty gracious to me.

Nadal_Freak
06-08-2009, 01:43 PM
Dude, he's pretty much saying, if Nadal was there, I wouldn't have this title. That's pretty gracious to me.
Ture but acting like it's a lock he wins without Nadal is a little cocky imo.

shawn1122
06-08-2009, 01:50 PM

No, first of all it is realistic because Nadal is the main player he has lost to in grand slams. Second, he is simply showing confidence in his ability, something every player should have. Being realistic and confident, I don't think those are very bad qualities.

veroniquem
06-08-2009, 01:54 PM
Why? Has Fed ever been gracious before? He reacted the way he always does.

shawn1122
06-08-2009, 02:29 PM
^^^^Brainwashed.

spiderman123
06-08-2009, 02:33 PM

especially since so many different players have beaten him at FO in last four years... oh wait...

Serve_Ace
06-08-2009, 02:37 PM
^^^^Brainwashed.

Very bitter also, because in the beginning of the year the Nadal bus was going full force saying that he was going to win the calender slam. but look who won the career slam first.

ninman
06-08-2009, 02:47 PM
Very bitter also, because in the beginning of the year the Nadal bus was going full force saying that he was going to win the calender slam. but look who won the career slam first.

Yep and now Nadal might not even make it to Wimbledon. I wonder what everyone will be saying about Federer then if he wins it.

Kostas
06-08-2009, 02:53 PM
especially since so many different players have beaten him at FO in last four years... oh wait...

gud one! :)

tlm
06-08-2009, 02:57 PM
Wow i thought fed was the goat now. But he had to hope that rafa was not there so he could win, that really sounds like the greatest player doesnt it.

tennizz!@#
06-08-2009, 03:05 PM
Why? Has Fed ever been gracious before? He reacted the way he always does.

http://www.tennis.com/uploadedImages/Content_Boxes/Homepage_Featured/2009_06_07_federer14.jpg

http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/12/2/128727528225272540.jpg

MsPiggy
06-08-2009, 04:18 PM
http://www.tennis.com/uploadedImages/Content_Boxes/Homepage_Featured/2009_06_07_federer14.jpg

http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/12/2/128727528225272540.jpg

LOL, nice to shut up those sour grapes!

bolo
06-08-2009, 04:24 PM
Good plan by fed. Waited for his chance and then took it. Too bad nadal wasn't smarter with his schedule this year.

tennis_hand
06-08-2009, 07:23 PM
Roger Federer: (http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/news/interviews/2009-06-07/200906071244399093741.html)
"
"

It's true. Nadal poses the biggest challenge to him. but this year, I think against nadal, he is prepared. He would have had a higher chance of winning even if Nadal was in the final, or he would not have played a bad game as last year's.

tennis_hand
06-08-2009, 07:25 PM
Good plan by fed. Waited for his chance and then took it. Too bad nadal wasn't smarter with his schedule this year.

ya. this is very smart and he never gives it up.
he knows some day he will have the chance. and this year is it. and he took it.

as the saying goes, luck goes to people who are prepared.