PDA

View Full Version : Are college tennis players celebrities?

pricey_aus
06-07-2009, 08:22 PM
I have been told by a few aussie people that when they were playing tennis, at a good D1 school that they were like celebrities. I don't know if I believe them or not, so I ask you, are college tennis players from overseas who play at top 30 D1 schools celebrities?

JMS
06-07-2009, 08:26 PM
In most cases no, as a whole, people don't really take that much of an interest unless the player is one of the very best in the nation. On many college campuses tennis is usually considered a second-grade sport behind basketball, football, soccer.

MomentumGT
06-07-2009, 08:27 PM
If you got the persona sure why not. If you are one of the top players and constantly int the school news paper and local paper. . . sure. . . most likely the women's team and their friends will be "all up on you" LOL cause its part of "being the man". There's a lot of women that can and will appreciate a man for his superb talents. :twisted:

-Jon

pricey_aus
06-07-2009, 10:59 PM
hahaha, yeah thats what they were saying. quoting my mate "you come from australia, they dont even know where that is, and you play tennis. look at me, im the ugliest dude and the girls where fighting over me". Cant say I believed him totally, though

subaru3169
06-07-2009, 11:41 PM
around my area, they're not really celebs at all.. one of my buddies went to some usc match and there were only like 20 ppl in the stadium, mostly family members

unless folks are hip in the tennis world, i doubt many would even know who the players are

Gemini
06-08-2009, 02:34 AM
Depends on what you mean by celebrity. There's also the local celebrity which would be reserved for certain special circles. If you win an NCAA title, then you'll most likely be a celebrity in your local tennis circles (college campus, hometown, etc.) but it will only be among those that follow tennis that closely.

pricey_aus
06-08-2009, 04:36 AM
So they were lying? Or would it be because they are Australian that ladies were "fighting" over them.

LOL

Power Player
06-08-2009, 04:37 AM
More realistically, you will have a good shot at dating a female college tennis player. And some of those girls are fire hot!

Celebs on a college campus are football and basketball stars usually.

thejackal
06-08-2009, 05:25 AM
if by celebrities you mean "girls running after them 24/7," there are better and easier ways to do that in college.

Gorecki
06-08-2009, 05:25 AM
im a legend in my street because of the beat downs i handle to my best friend... all the chicks dig me and my prestige!

Pricey... one would judge by your inflamed and affirmative posts in the Pro Threads you could have somethinig else than this! my godness!...

goober
06-08-2009, 08:15 AM
USC just won the NCAA mens. I doubt that many students could even name one person on the team unless they happen to know that person personally or happen to follow tennis. Football and Basketball- athletes otoh rule the campus and are celebrities.

Sleepstream
06-08-2009, 08:54 AM
When I attended matches this spring, the women's tennis team had many spectators, but the men's team didn't have many at all.

The men's team was friendlier, though, and actually came into the stands to thank the people for attending the match. They shook hands, introduced themselves, and so forth. I never saw anything like that after the women's matches.

Fedace
06-08-2009, 09:01 AM
It does help in getting some hot chicks. That is about it. Football and Basketball is the main stay of publicity in campus. Tennis gets the backpage.

tennisjon
06-08-2009, 10:41 AM
It all depends on the school. I coach at a pretty small school and the top athletes are very well known throughout campus. I played at a mid-level D1 program and unless you are on the basketball team, football team, president of one of the classes, or president of LGBSA, no one really knows you in a big school. Tennis is a third class sport at most schools.

ClarkC
06-08-2009, 02:19 PM
At the University of Virginia, the attendance is in the hundreds for matches, both indoors and outdoors. The players are well known. We have a message board just for discussing the tennis teams (http://www.thesabre.com/message_board/tennis/). I spectated at a USTA Men's Open tournament this weekend, as did quite a few other Virginia fans I recognized, just because current and former Virginia players were in the draw.

Attendance is pretty high for matches at several other schools: Illinois, Georgia, Texas A&M, and Texas, for example.

pricey_aus
06-08-2009, 02:40 PM
im a legend in my street because of the beat downs i handle to my best friend... all the chicks dig me and my prestige!

Pricey... one would judge by your inflamed and affirmative posts in the Pro Threads you could have somethinig else than this! my godness!...

I am quite opiniated I must admit, but I only do it to try and heat it up in the threads. And thanks for the answers guys. Interesting to know that at some of the more succesful schools, tennis players aren't well known, yet at some of the smaller succesful schools tennis players are well known.

Maybe I have to follow my mates advice and 'aussie' it up when I go over there. ha ha!

tennisjon
06-09-2009, 07:24 AM
I played a lot of tennis when I was in Australia. Lots of nice private clubs. My sis lives in Sydney and I toured nearly the entire east coast. Beautiful country.

beernutz
06-09-2009, 12:58 PM
So they were lying? Or would it be because they are Australian that ladies were "fighting" over them.

LOL

More likely they just have no clue what it is like to *be* a celebrity.

arunstennis
06-11-2009, 07:33 AM
ya people dont care if your a big stud tennis player now if its football thats what people people care about

LetFirstServe
06-11-2009, 09:39 AM
I always thought that in some countries the star collage tennis players get nookie like the star quarterbacks in America NCAA.

HunterST
06-20-2009, 02:29 PM
I don't know for sure, but I would guess that over seas where tennis is more popular you could be close to a celebrity at the school you attend. In a lot of European countries tennis is the second most popular sport (behind soccer). So it seems that being a tennis star in those areas would be similar to being a college basketball star in the U.S.

duso
06-21-2009, 07:24 AM
I played in the Big 10 in the 70's. I recall, (other than the Big 10 championship matches) the crowd never being larger than 50. Generally if it got to 50 it was because a former player was coaching HS tennis in town, and brought his team to watch. Fernando Gonzales from OSU, in my tenure was about the closest to a celebrity, but even his following was 10-12 people.

Ace Boon
07-28-2009, 12:07 PM
Lol. I don't think so.

Kick_It
07-28-2009, 12:48 PM
'Not Really' matches my experience.

When I was playing - I found it much easier to get dates. That's about it.

About 2 weeks after practice started my sophomore year - was a very fun period where I got to date 3 really cute, interesting, _and_ smart women at the same time - which was great while it lasted. Unfortunately it collapsed like a house of cards once they found out about each other 10 days later ;-)

ClarkC
07-29-2009, 10:41 AM
About 2 weeks after practice started my sophomore year - was a very fun period where I got to date 3 really cute, interesting, _and_ smart women at the same time - which was great while it lasted. Unfortunately it collapsed like a house of cards once they found out about each other 10 days later ;-)

Sounds like 3 of the 4 people involved were smart. :)

x5150
07-29-2009, 10:45 AM
I watch a lot of tennis channel or espn but could not give you one name of a college tennis player. I've seen one college match recently just don't remember the names. So no I don't think they are celebrities.

tennisnoob2
07-29-2009, 05:54 PM
In most cases no, as a whole, people don't really take that much of an interest unless the player is one of the very best in the nation. On many college campuses tennis is usually considered a second-grade sport behind basketball, football, soccer.

soccer? not in america lol. thats the last sport on peoples minds in america behind volleyball

duusoo
07-30-2009, 03:46 AM
At Ohio State it was, Football, football, football, basketball, and, everything else.

goran_ace
07-30-2009, 05:32 AM
At a lot of schools if you tell a girl you are on the tennis team you might get responses like "we have a tennis team?"

or "I played tennis in high school. do you think I could play for the women's team. that would be fun!"

or "oh cool. my ex played tennis. do you know _______ [insert name of player who destroyed you at kalamazoo back in the day and now plays at a better school]?"

jaggy
07-30-2009, 08:11 AM
American girls, even the hot ones, love foreign accents so that may have been more to do with the ugly Aussie getting lucky stories.

Zielmann
07-30-2009, 08:54 AM
Well, I'm just at a D3 school so it's not quite the same as well, a top D1 school...

But from my experiences, tennis just doesn't get any attention. Actually, not many of the sports get much attention at all. Think that's cause our big sports (football, basketball, etc) suck something awful. We actually have a very good volleyball and ultimate teams. But people don't go to see those, so they wouldn't know who is on the team to begin with. But you do hear about the tennis team in campus emails and stuff like that. They usually do pretty well, too.

In high school, it was even harder for tennis to get attention. My senior year, we won our division for the first time in 17 years. I think that there was one sentence about it during the morning announcements, and it took two or three days for it to even get there. But when the basketball team came in second in the division, we had a special assebly/pep rally. But I will say that probably everybody in my grade knew I played on the team (graduated with 460+ people...).

I guess we just have to suck it up and accept the fact that we aren't in a sport that gets much exposure. To be honest, I'm perfectly fine with that. Less pressure that way. Can just go out and have fun.

diredesire
07-30-2009, 09:40 AM
At my school, i wouldn't guess any of the tennis players are "celebs," they are all relatively down to earth. All the athletes seem to sort of know each other, though (between teams). I like the girls on our team, they are friendly, and talk with spectators when not playing, etc.

Kick_It
07-30-2009, 09:47 AM
Sounds like 3 of the 4 people involved were smart. :)

One has to learn sometime. Isn't that what college is about, or at least supposed to be about? ;-)

OroDeSantoro
08-04-2009, 01:00 PM
I go to a Division I school and I'd be willing to bet money that 99% of the students wouldn't be able to name one person on the team...

DownTheLine
08-04-2009, 01:26 PM
I know when Alex Clayton came here to play in an Adult tourny everyone was making a huge deal out of it!

He has an amazing oney!

Skywalker91
08-15-2009, 02:19 PM
Ohhh being number one at my high school gives me 0 help for picking up chicks.My gf hates tennis, we've been going out for 4 months and she hasn't played with me yet. She's only played in P.E. so I keep telling her i'm way better than anyone in her p.e. class and it'd be fun, ah well she'll come around. It's not the same because i'm not in college and i'm just a 4.0 who's number seed at my high school

slice bh compliment
08-15-2009, 03:00 PM
... we've been going out for 4 months and she hasn't played with me yet. ....

Look man, don't rush into it. She's obviously not ready. Don't even get her drunk and try anything. It'll happen in due time. Expecially if it is meant to.

A lot of girls want to wait until college or marriage. It's a big step. Gotta respect that. She's probably worth it, man.

Best wishes.

'-)

The Wreck
08-15-2009, 03:41 PM
I go to UGA, and I know who every single player on the team is. I've been looking for them when I walk around campus but no luck so far. I guess you would say I'm the exception though, as most people don't care about tennis even though we have a top 5 ranked team...

JMS
08-15-2009, 05:25 PM
soccer? not in america lol. thats the last sport on peoples minds in america behind volleyball

Actually you are wrong when it comes to college sports. I can assure you more people go to soccer games than tennis matches at more than the majority of colleges.