PDA

View Full Version : Federer: After 15 Slams, What motivation?

Qubax
06-07-2009, 08:51 PM
As a huge Federer fan it has been both humbling and a little dissapointing seeing his dip from Dominance in 2008.

However, it has, at the very least made things more interesting.

Questions of would he get 13, 14, and 15, became legitimate.

Questions of would he ever get the French were very real.

And as totally stoked as I am to see Roger kill several birds with one stone and tie Sampras at the same time as he get's the French, it does make me mildly concerned that Roger will consider retiring long before I want him to.

Not that my wants matter....

But Roger was so concerned with history, and brought up Andre playing till he was 35 at a high level and talking about how he had many, many years left in him....But then he Got 14 and the French

...and if Roger nails down 15 at Wimbeldon and then happens to fall into a swan dive in the standings and in his play, Will he really find a reason to dig down once more for that extra gear if he already owned all of the major records he was looking for???

I think this is a legitimate question...

...and I can agree that he wants Olympic Gold Singles, but does he want it enough to stick around that long at the Top???

DarthFed
06-07-2009, 08:55 PM
As i've been saying i think he will Zone more often and actually play BETTER

Even today he mentioned playing for many more years, so in that regard you have nothing to worry about

prattle128
06-07-2009, 09:12 PM
yeah just what i was going to say. he addressed that he wants to compete into his 30s. i think that once he was to reach 15, he would want even more titles, build his record as much as possible, while still trying to achieve everything else that he hasn't yet (gold medal, calendar slam, golden calendar slam, etc.). obviously, some of those are very improbable, but i think that he has such a drive to be the best for as long as he can, that he will continue to play until it really doesn't make much sense to continue. I guess now that his leaving of tennis has been brought up, I wonder how he will go out.

Qubax
06-07-2009, 09:14 PM
Yah, I do know that Roger really loves the game.

Almost more then anyone I've seen Roger LOVES the game of tennis.

A lot of guys love the competition. And I think Roger does to, but Roger also just empircally enjoys the game moreso then maybe anyone else.

I actually gravitate more towards your line of thinking then the one I posted...I am just getting paranoid in my head and playing devils advocate...(Like what if he loses that drive etc.)

But I think your right, he's not quite like Sampras who almost looked relieved when he quit...or Safin who looks to be happy about retiring.

Infact it seemed like Roger mentioned a couple of times today that he "missed" having Agassi on tour....a comment that makes him seem anti-retiring in general...

joeri888
06-07-2009, 09:17 PM
Federer is the kinda guy that just really loves this game and I think that as long as he's able to compete at a level he thinks is acceptable he'll play. I think he'll really play till 2012 and will then retire. He's also a guy who likes the spotlights and therefore will defenitely announce his retirement a few months before he does. He really would like a 'good bye match' at wimbledon for instance I think.

Fedexeon
06-07-2009, 11:07 PM
He said that he has no more pressure playing tennis now.. and he won't retire because how much he loves tennis. I think his love and passion to tennis would bring him really far... One thing we know he is definitely not Borg, if not he would have retired after Wimbledon 2008 or Australian Open 2009.

adidas_wilson
06-07-2009, 11:17 PM
Motivation? Probably a calender Slam, Olympic Gold..

But in all honesty. He is the biggest money earner in the history of tennis, and has achieved about as much as he really needs to as far as trophies are concerned..

subaru3169
06-07-2009, 11:32 PM
motivation would be to ensure no one else would be able to top his achievement as best he could

thalivest
06-07-2009, 11:33 PM
His motivations should be:

-Davis Cup. Like it or not it is a blotch on his career he hasnt acheived this and hasnt even really put in as much effort as he could. To some degree up to now it is understandable, but with Wawrinka now a solid singles players and solid doubles tandem with Federer he has no excuse to not atleast try from this point on.

-Olympic gold in singles. I think something increasing in importance as Olympics in tennis is gaining credability now.

-a second French Open title. I dont know if he will pull it off, would be hard, but it would be huge for his legacy.

-a title at Monte Carlo and/or Rome. Again wont be easy, but it would be big for him to build his resume on his worst surface up further.

-atleast a non Calender Slam. Even if he cant ever win the true Calender Slam, atleast it should be a goal to win the non Calender Slam at some point if he can.

-improving his head to heads with Nadal and Murray. These are something people will look at year from now.

-a 4th Australian Open to atleast match Agassi's Open era record. This is still something that would be noteable

-the records at Wimbledon and the U.S Open are 7 each (U.S Open only 5 in modern times though). These sort of targets should be a goal of his, and he probably has a better shot of winning at these venues in the future than the FO and AO anyway.

-futher increasing his longevity. The later year he wins his final slam, the longer his streak of years of winning atleast #1 goes, the better for him.

-trying to regain #1 and building his weeks total there, trying to end any future years ranked #1 he can. This wont be easy with Nadal especialy, and some possible future #1s, but again this should be a goal as it is key to his legacy.

So to answer the OP question there should be alot of things to motivate him once he reaches 15. If there isnt than there is really something wrong. I am not downplaying how hard these things would be to achieve at this point in his career, but they should definitely be goals of his. It isnt like he is 35 years old now.

PCXL-Fan
06-07-2009, 11:47 PM
Sampras still had motivation after he reached 12 and he racked up 2 more so i don't see why Federer would lose motivation to the point of not racking up more then 15 if possible.

We saw Navritalova (sp?) get 18, and Graf get 22. They never lost their motivation. So i don't see why Federer would nessesarily lose his. He doesn't have to live up to anyones marker and define it based on others accomplishments.

Recall he said he wanted to play until 2012 at least. So he has the drive and motivation. And the comment was made when many thoguht he was on track to achieving 14 by the end of 2008.

If anything may slow him down (but not stop him) it may be shuffling his commitment to his child and tennis. (and of course his agin body)

Of course i could be proven wrong about this motivation issue, but from what i've seen from Federer I think its pretty safe to say we won't see a decline in motivation from Federer because he broke Sampras's record. He absolutely loves the sport and obsesses about it all the time.

thalivest
06-07-2009, 11:54 PM
Sampras still had motivation after he reached 12 and he racked up 2 more so i don't see why Federer would lose motivation to the point of not racking up more then 15 if possible.

We saw Navritalova (sp?) get 18, and Graf get 22. They never lost their motivation. So i don't see why Federer would have to. He doesn't have to live up to anyones marker.

Of course i could be proven wrong, but I really don't think we'll see that in Federer.

It is easier to win slams in the mens game. While the womens field generally has a much stronger field than todays, it is still never the same level of competition as mens. Even the stronger womens field arent as deep and competitive (even amongst their own gender, I am not talking about men playing women) as the weaker mens field. Look at Navratilova and Graf basically:

Navratilova- won 15 of her 18 slams from 1982-1987 with her only competition as:

- Evert ages 27-33, which would be "old" for her having been on top of the womens game since 18.

-a pre-prime underdeveloped Graf aged 16-18.

-Mandlikova, an extraordinarly talented but wildly inconsistent player

Pretty much nobody else even capable of hanging in matches with her.

Then Graf from 1987-1989 won 8 of her slams facing:

- Navratilova aged 30-32.

- Evert aged 32-34.

- Sabatini a future 1-slam winner (much of that due to Graf mind you)

Then win another 10 of her slams from May 1993-1996 facing:

- No Seles for 2/3rds of that, and a heavier and slower post stabbing Seles for a 1/3rd of that.

-Sanchez Vicario, an overachieving 4 slam winner who relies more on determination and heart than natural ability.

-A pre-prime Hingis aged 14-16.

-A pre-prime Davenport aged 16-20, but still badly out of shape.

Nobody else who could even hang with her.

That isnt a knock on Navratilova and Graf. Despite what I said the womens fields then were still alot stronger than now. However womens tennis never has the competition of mens ever, at any poin in time.

PCXL-Fan
06-07-2009, 11:58 PM
darnit, i was in the process of typing my post you missed more points i was making. Thats always the problem, you get get people responding as you are making changes and finishing up your post.

But i see what you are saying about the womens field.
Disregarding accusations of sexism, the womens field certainly seems to be less competitive, particularily in the past. With Top players in tournaments routinely double bageling first and second round opponents, not something normally seen in the mens side.

ckthegreek
06-08-2009, 12:32 AM
People tend to forget very quickly. Now, everyone's raving about Federer fantastic achievement but I bet you a million dollars that if Federer loses the next 3-4 major finals to Nadal the whole GOAT discussion will start from scratch.

Federer's only concern from now on in my view is to improve his H2H record against Nadal amassing several more GS titles in the process.

His tennis has gone up another level - forehand better, serve better, backhand hugely improved (contrary to what I've said in a previous post).

Federer knows that if he quits too early or if he does not win at least 2 more majors this leaves the door open for Nadal to overtake him. Fast forward 6 years Nadal has 15 majors and a better H2H against Federer and guess what.. Nadal is the GOAT. Federer will not let that happen.

flying24
06-08-2009, 12:39 AM
People tend to forget very quickly. Now, everyone's raving about Federer fantastic achievement but I bet you a million dollars that if Federer loses the next 3-4 major finals to Nadal the whole GOAT discussion will start from scratch.

Federer's only concern from now on in my view is to improve his H2H record against Nadal amassing several more GS titles in the process.

His tennis has gone up another level - forehand better, serve better, backhand hugely improved (contrary to what I've said in a previous post).

Federer knows that if he quits too early or if he does not win at least 2 more majors this leaves the door open for Nadal to overtake him. Fast forward 6 years Nadal has 15 majors and a better H2H against Federer and guess what.. Nadal is the GOAT. Federer will not let that happen.

Nadal has no chance to reach 15 majors. If he wins 12 it would be a miracle.

ckthegreek
06-08-2009, 12:45 AM
again, you are wrong. what this forum has proved again and again and again is that accurate predictions cannot be made.

Who would have thought two weeks ago that Soderling would beat Nadal and that Federer would win his 14th GS? I'd say less than 1%.

Extrapolating from the current situation Federer is a lock for Wimbledon but I am dead certain it's not going to be as easy as it seems right now. Tennis is very unpredictable. Nadal may win 11, 12 or 16 GSs. You just don't know. But what I meant in my previous post is that Federer cannot run the risk of allowing Nadal to upstage him.

DarthMaul
06-08-2009, 12:46 AM
I think he will play until 30-32 years or so, or vene more if he takes care of his body, but the most interesting thing is that after he will get the 15 slam he will start to play tennis at a level we have never saw befaore, because all the pressure will be off him.

flying24
06-08-2009, 12:53 AM
again, you are wrong. what this forum has proved again and again and again is that accurate predictions cannot be made.

Who would have thought two weeks ago that Soderling would beat Nadal and that Federer would win his 14th GS? I'd say less than 1%.

Extrapolating from the current situation Federer is a lock for Wimbledon but I am dead certain it's not going to be as easy as it seems right now. Tennis is very unpredictable. Nadal may win 11, 12 or 16 GSs. You just don't know. But what I meant in my previous post is that Federer cannot run the risk of allowing Nadal to upstage him.

No some things are obvious, and Nadal lasting long enough to ever win that many slams is one of those things that is. Nadal losing at the French at some point was always bound to happen, just like any player losing at their most dominant place at some point is bound to happen.

Vin2
06-08-2009, 02:23 AM
Well, over time what people will see is just the number of title Federer has.
Nadal's head-to-head against Federer is incredible and well-deserved but again, it all comes down to the titles.

Also unfortunately Davis Cup doesn't seem to make the cut like the Grand Slams or even the Olympics more recently. Maybe that's the reason Federer doesn't get involved too much.

In terms of what's going to happen from here on, no one really knows except the Federer camp. Maybe he'll retire singles later and start playing doubles, who knows?

The-Champ
06-08-2009, 02:37 AM
Congrats to Roger for tying Pete's 14. I believe we will see a more relax federer on court in the coming tournaments, and that will make him even more dangerous. Imagine roger without any sort of pressure? That would be like 2004 all over again.

I just hope Rafa comes back fully fit so that Roger can at least have decent rival on tour. I'm saddened by the fact that injuries are stopping him from achieving what he deserves i.e, to be one of the greatest ever. I will mourn every slam Rafa misses because of his injuries. Rafa's career even though he has achieved a lot already, in my opinion is still a tennis tragedy. He deserves more because of his talent and determination.

vegeta SSJ4
06-08-2009, 02:37 AM
probably to improve his record against roddick and robredo

Cesc Fabregas
06-08-2009, 02:38 AM
I really hope Nadal stops the Federer bandwagon at Wimbledon.

PCXL-Fan
06-08-2009, 08:59 AM
Federer has the 'passion' as Mango on Saturday Night Live would say.

AAAA
06-08-2009, 09:08 AM
Federer needs to keep winning majors to make his detractors squeal even more.

AAAA
06-08-2009, 09:14 AM
Seriously if Roger doesn't want to hang it all up and start family life or do something else he should aim to regain Wimbledon, defend the USO and win the Aus Open again so that he has all four majors at the same time. Not a calendar slam but way better than a spread out career slam. In doing that he should gain enough points to be #1 again and then people might say Nadal couldn't stand the pace of keeping Roger at #2.

Qubax
06-08-2009, 09:27 AM
I wonder IF/When Roger regains number spot if he'll retire while in the number one spot(even if he stays there for a couple more years), So that he can go out on top...

OR if he'll find motivation in keeping his number spot and or retaining his number one spot as a reason to continue...

PCXL-Fan
06-08-2009, 10:01 AM
Federer has said repeatedly said he wants to play in the 2012 Olympics and hopefully play till he's in his mid 30s.

We say how passionate he was about losing Wimbledon, winning the USO, losing the Australian and now winning the French.

Federer has the 'passion' regardless if he wins or loses.

AAAA
06-08-2009, 10:25 AM
Federer has said repeatedly said he wants to play in the 2012 Olympics and hopefully play till he's in his mid 30s.

I definately hope so. Some more major wins will be killer.

Al Czervik
06-08-2009, 10:34 AM
motivation would be to ensure no one else would be able to top his achievement as best he could

I agree. People have to understand that Rafa began winning his a lot earlier than Fed. Now, you can say Rafa is breaking down and won't post three years of three slams. However, Rafa could easily pick up 3-4 French and 3-4 elsewhere the rest of career. And if he is anywhere in the ballpark of Fed, people might lean Rafa for H2H. But if Fed posts 18-20, it will be a nightmare for even Rafa to get there.

veroniquem
06-08-2009, 10:35 AM
As a huge Federer fan it has been both humbling and a little dissapointing seeing his dip from Dominance in 2008.

However, it has, at the very least made things more interesting.

Questions of would he get 13, 14, and 15, became legitimate.

Questions of would he ever get the French were very real.

And as totally stoked as I am to see Roger kill several birds with one stone and tie Sampras at the same time as he get's the French, it does make me mildly concerned that Roger will consider retiring long before I want him to.

Not that my wants matter....

But Roger was so concerned with history, and brought up Andre playing till he was 35 at a high level and talking about how he had many, many years left in him....But then he Got 14 and the French

...and if Roger nails down 15 at Wimbeldon and then happens to fall into a swan dive in the standings and in his play, Will he really find a reason to dig down once more for that extra gear if he already owned all of the major records he was looking for???

I think this is a legitimate question...

...and I can agree that he wants Olympic Gold Singles, but does he want it enough to stick around that long at the Top???
+ he's gonna have a baby. This is definitely a legitimate question but Federer has said in the past he wants to play until late like Agassi. The more slams he wins, the harder his record will be to beat. I don't think he's in for the money, he's 100% in for the glory. As long as he can make majors finals, he will stay I think.

ATXtennisaddict
06-08-2009, 10:38 AM
If I were Federer, I'd try to make myself the undisputed GOAT.

sureshs
06-08-2009, 12:08 PM
I think Fed will soon come to the point when enough is enough. Enough money, enough traveling, enough trophies. Who wants to keep hitting yellow balls for hours a day for ever? He may want to shift attention to family, start an academy, become a commentator or a tennis administrator, and play for fun only. He alluded to it in his interview with JMac when he said it was difficult to sustain the drive to try to win the FO, year after year. It is unlikely that he can get "better" or start hitting new strokes. What is left for him as far as technical improvement is concerned? Nothing. He can do it all if he wants to.