PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Carpet: Becker v Edberg DC 1989

dParis
06-07-2009, 09:12 PM
Anyone watching the 1989 Davis Cup replay, on the Tennis Channel - between Becker and Edberg, can see why there was a need to slow down the speed of the courts.

I've been watching the match off and on for about an hour and a half and I've yet to see a rally longer than three shots on the fast indoor carpet. Ridiculous. It was interesting for the first five minutes but, like cheap bubblegum, quickly loses its flavor. With the advancement of player fitness and racquet technology, the courts had to be slowed down. No way professional tennis could expand its fan base if the game were to evolve as fits and starts of two-shot points like the Becker/Edberg DC match was. (I'm not knocking S&V tennis)

Nalbandian great
06-09-2009, 03:05 AM
I like fastest court anyway

dParis
06-09-2009, 04:59 AM
I like fastest court anyway
Do you like nothing but two shot rallies? I mean as a spectator.

Devilito
06-10-2009, 03:36 PM
that's why you have contrast. A baseliner VS a serve and volleyer. It's equally boring now adays when nobody comes to the next to put pressure on their opponent. It goes both ways IMO

the green god
06-11-2009, 09:40 AM
No way professional tennis could expand its fan base if the game were to evolve as fits and starts of two-shot points like the Becker/Edberg DC match was. (I'm not knocking S&V tennis)

Meanwhile tennis in its current incarnation is dead in America.

DrumWizOHBD
06-14-2009, 08:32 PM
Never played on carpet, but we used to practice on a wood gym floor on rainy days. Oh man, talk about FAST. Everyone worked on their S & V those days. Points were rarely more than 3 shots from either side.

If I recall, Becker had a fantastic record on carpet.