PDA

View Full Version : Roscoe Tanner IN / Out / IN the Slammer

NoBadMojo
03-21-2005, 06:17 AM
Does anyone know the Roscoe Tanner story? he was present at IW and promoting ProKennex. I know he got in trouble with the law and was servng time or something, but does anyone know what he did, and what happened to his life after the tour? ole Roscoe from Lookout Mountain, TN....he looked like he has been having a very hard life.

atatu
03-21-2005, 06:44 AM
You could probably google it, what I recall is that he wrote some bad checks and may have been delinquent in making child support payments. I remember when I was in school in Santa Barbara in the late 80's, he used to tool around SB in a mercedes, so I guess things went bad for him after that.

Roforot
03-21-2005, 06:50 AM
There was an article about him in Tennis Magazine. He's been arrested a couple of times, once at an exhibition of great stars. Basically, he's run some bad businesses and writes bad checks. He doesn't seem to have a drug addiction or problem w/ women. Note however that he's been delinquent in several child-care payments to some of his exwives.

One story in the article was about this guy who sold a yatch to Roscoe only to find out a week later that the check bounced; this had to be a mistake right... well a few days later, no phone calls answered etc, he tries to repossess the boat only to find that Roscoe already used the yatch as collateral for another loan. The guy says that Roscoe basically ruined his finances for over a year and that he came in smiling and jolly and telling stories.

Apparently, the article tries to point out that Roscoe's unrealistically positive, the kind of thinking that gets you back from 2 sets down, and he's not malicious, but simply believes that he's going to hit jackpot and pay up all accounts then.

andfor
03-21-2005, 08:24 AM
I heard he also got a DUI one time. Did that happen?

Datacipher
03-21-2005, 11:12 AM
I wrote:
"
Last I heard, Tanner was teaching in California. This is AFTER his last arrest, which as far as I know did not result in jail time."

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=39822&page=2&pp=15&highlight=roddick+tanner

NoBadMojo
03-21-2005, 02:27 PM
Exerpts from a Bud Collins article from 2004
<snip> Although Tanner, an ex-fugitive, has been in a slump himself for a few years, he sounds upbeat over the phone, saying that he's pulling himself together again, is gainfully employed restoring his self-respect.

'I'm not proud of what I did. I have a ton of regrets,' Tanner, 52, says from Laguna Niguel in California. 'I made a lot of money. But I also made some bad business deals and unfortunate marriages and liaisons.'

The misdeeds that caused law officers to chase him were such items as grand theft, bad cheques, forgery, failure to make child support payments and false statements.

'I went broke, but I was still trying to put up a front as a successful guy, and went deeper into the hole. I was living desperately.' One example was buying a $36,000 pleasure boat in Florida with a worthless check.

Tanner was arrested, got out, went to Germany to try to make a few bucks playing in a senior club league. 'I didn't consider myself a fugitive, but I guess the US Government did. They had me thrown into a German jail, six weeks until I was extradited to Florida where I was in jail for a few months until April.'

Tanner couldn't afford bail or a lawyer. 'I acted as my own lawyer and I was able to convince a judge - pleading guilty to all the charges, confessing how bad I'd been - that I was a brand new guy, a changed guy. A better guy. He gave me 10 years' probation to make restitution to my creditors.' Tanner owes $102,000 in bills, fines and interest. If he doesn't pay it off by 2013, this man formerly about grand-slam events goes to the slammer for 15 years.

'I'm not concerned, and haven't been since Germany,' Tanner says. 'When I was in that jail I rented a TV and saw Reverend Robert Shuler [an American TV evangelist], and he was talking about the peace that transcends all understanding. I found it. Regained my faith and felt a million per cent better.

'I knew I could turn myself around and my [third] wife, Margaret, is standing by me. A friend has hired me as tennis director at his three clubs and people have been very understanding. I'm also going to be involved in an inner-city tennis and education project for the International Foundation in Washington, DC.

MonkeyPox
03-21-2005, 04:21 PM
And now he's writing a book about his tragic life. We should all have it so rough. I dare say that if most of us had the opportunities and wads of dough that Tanner had, we wouldn't have blown it all and then cried about it later. Just another crook writing a book if you ask me. Lame.

Rabbit
10-18-2005, 07:59 AM
This ought to help book sales:

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - Former tennis star Roscoe Tanner was in jail Tuesday after his arrest for violating probation.
Tanner, a Chattanooga native who won the 1977 Australian Open, was arrested Monday on a fugitive warrant from Florida and will remain in the Knox County jail without bail pending an extradition hearing Oct. 24, officials said.

Florida authorities list Tanner as an absconder/fugitive. He was sentenced to 10 years' probation in November 2003 in Florida for bouncing a $35,595 check he used to buy a boat in 2000. The Pinellas County state attorney's office has accused Tanner of failing to make restitution payments.

In 2004, Tanner was arrested in Orange County, Calif., on a warrant from New Jersey on charges of failing to pay more than $80,000 in child support for a daughter he fathered there. He was sentenced to a year of probation for that offense.

Besides his Australian title, Tanner was runner-up in 1979 at Wimbledon, losing a five-set match to Bjorn Borg. Known for his fast serve, Tanner won about $2 million in prize money and played on the U.S. Davis Cup team.

I don't know how he violated his probation, but some folks never learn the lesson. It's a shame if it's true.

norcal
10-18-2005, 08:29 AM
I know where your money did not go - restitution.

Former tennis star Roscoe Tanner was in jail Tuesday after his arrest for violating probation.

Tanner, a Chattanooga native who won the 1977 Australian Open, was arrested Monday on a fugitive warrant from Florida and will remain in the Knox County jail without bail pending an extradition hearing Oct. 24, officials said.

Florida authorities list Tanner as an absconder/fugitive. He was sentenced to 10 years' probation in November 2003 in Florida for bouncing a $35,595 check he used to buy a boat in 2000. The Pinellas County state attorney's office has accused Tanner of failing to make restitution payments.

In 2004, Tanner was arrested in Orange County, Calif., on a warrant from New Jersey on charges of failing to pay more than $80,000 in child support for a daughter he fathered there. He was sentenced to a year of probation for that offense.

Besides his Australian title, Tanner was runner-up in 1979 at Wimbledon, losing a five-set match to Bjorn Borg. Known for his fast serve, Tanner won about $2 million in prize money and played on the U.S. Davis Cup team.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/news/archive/2005/10/18/sports/s084258D49.DTL&type=sports

MonkeyPox
10-18-2005, 08:34 AM
I hate to say I told you so.

But I did. People who write books to profits from their crimes and sordid lives and then pocket that money are only proving they have learned nothing. Roscoe you be lame. But we already knew that.

baseliner
10-18-2005, 08:56 AM
Sad. 4 wives or former wives and a bunch of children. A golden future thrown away.

Pancho
10-18-2005, 09:00 AM
I heard that he's in the slammer yet again.

@wright
10-18-2005, 09:13 AM
'Mojo, I've never seen such a beautifully poetic thread title! You, sir, have a way with words...

Craig Sheppard
10-18-2005, 09:37 AM
I heard that he's in the slammer yet again.

Yup, here's what I read:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/news/archive/2005/10/18/sports/s084258D49.DTL&type=sports

Ex-Tennis Star Roscoe Tanner Is Jailed
-
Tuesday, October 18, 2005

(10-18) 08:42 PDT Knoxville, Tenn. (AP) --

Former tennis star Roscoe Tanner was in jail Tuesday after his arrest for violating probation.

alfa164164
10-18-2005, 09:57 AM
When does Double Fault Part Deux come out?

baseliner
10-18-2005, 10:12 AM
The true victims are his daughters.

Rabbit
10-18-2005, 10:31 AM
Tanner....slammer....I get it

Pancho
10-18-2005, 11:07 AM
This ought to help book sales:
I don't know how he violated his probation, but some folks never learn the lesson. It's a shame if it's true.

Hey, easy for you to say that. He may have other problems that you don't know of.

andfor
10-18-2005, 01:20 PM
Tanner....slammer....I get it

Better late then never! I just figured it out myself. Nicely done!

NoBadMojo
10-18-2005, 01:21 PM
geesh..i posted this back in March! talk about poetic justice......
thank-you thank-you @wright..contributions are gratiously accepted to my manager Mr. Phillup deBucket

MARK ANDERS
10-18-2005, 02:17 PM
I've played tennis right next to his daughter at Loyola Marymont Univ.. She plays for them.

He sounds like an excuse making idiot, his daughter seems very nice though and I'll probably hit with her next time. I hit with some of the other chickee chicks on the team.

nrota
10-18-2005, 05:26 PM
I have to say that I, evidently, have some responsibility for latest arrest. I wrote about Roscoe in my columnn on Most Valuable Network, tennisdiary.com. Roscoe's daughters left comments, the people helping Roscoe with his religious practice left comments, and a "bounty hunter" who has turned Roscoe in before left comments.

Turns out that the "bounty hunter" knew that Roscoe was in Knoxville from reading people's comments and called authorities to have him arrested because he has outstanding warrants.

Not what I had in mind when I wrote the column but it's very hard to hide today.

Nina Rota

Pancho
10-19-2005, 07:53 AM
The true victims are his daughters.

I disagree with that. I think he is the victim. His past wives/lovers have screwed him badly. He is just down on his luck. However, noone can ever take away the fact that he won a Grand Slam tournament - Australian Open. He will be considered one of the best of his generation.

Ravi
10-19-2005, 07:55 AM
He will be considered one of the best of his generation.

I guess that depends on how many you define as "one of the"

If it's 10 then no.

bamboo
10-19-2005, 07:36 PM
There's a sucker born every minute -wait, second, and anyone who believed Tanner goes straight to the head of that class. Hope you didn't give the lowlife your credit card #! Oz open wasn't really a major from 1976-82, how else do you think Vilas won it twice on grass? Borg, Connors and McEnroe skipped it.

Lee
10-19-2005, 11:15 PM
btw, this is his daughter

http://lmulions.collegesports.com/sports/w-tennis/mtt/tanner_tamara00.html

I feel bad for her, because is merely guilty by association. If my dad committed a string of crime, I would feel like a criminal as well, you feel me?

AndrewD
10-20-2005, 12:19 AM
btw, this is his daughter
I feel bad for her, because is merely guilty by association. If my dad committed a string of crime, I would feel like a criminal as well, you feel me?

Mate, if you feel sorry for her then why post a picture of her like some kind of a mug shot? Better to go back, delete the link and give her a bit of anonymity.

RB
10-20-2005, 04:12 AM
Great point Andrew...I totally agree

goober
10-20-2005, 05:52 AM
I disagree with that. I think he is the victim. His past wives/lovers have screwed him badly. He is just down on his luck. However, noone can ever take away the fact that he won a Grand Slam tournament - Australian Open. He will be considered one of the best of his generation.

Without knowing his sitaution personally, I highly doubt that someone who has been married 4 times and has a bunch of children can be considered blameless.

MonkeyPox
10-20-2005, 08:49 AM
And someone who only won one grand slam is never the best of any generation.

Pancho
10-20-2005, 08:55 AM
I guess that depends on how many you define as "one of the"

If it's 10 then no.

You can say anything you wish about Roscoe, but he did win the Australian Open, a Grand Slam tourney. That being a past Australian Open campion gets you in the grand slam record books and all the bragging rights in the world. He was also ranked as high as #4 in the world. He should be playing the legends senior tour with Borg and McEnroe soon once he gets his stuff together.

Pancho
10-20-2005, 08:56 AM
Oh, Roscoe also did have won of the fastest serve and best serves of his time. That was how he won the Australian Open.

Ravi
10-20-2005, 12:51 PM
i was just looking at Tanner's career record and he's better than I was giving him credit for, probably I'm going to have to admit he was one of the best 10 players for five years or so...and he beat a pretty good group to win the Aussie in '77, beating Roche, Dent, a totally ageless Rosewall, and then Vilas in the finals, who was the best player in the world that year.

baseliner
10-20-2005, 12:55 PM
Roscoe is the victim and not his (innocent) children? His rap sheet has been described in detail on these pages. One scam or con game after the other. The number of individuals conned by him can't be counted. I go back to my original point and that is his children are the victims. A multiply married individual leaving children in his wake, Roscoe would seem no better than your typical NBA star who leaves a wake of illegitimate children in his wake. Roscoe is reaping what he has sowed. He is experiencing the fact that actions have consequences. His children are the victims.

MonkeyPox
10-20-2005, 01:45 PM
And to really add insult to injury he throws in a apparently questionable religious conversion into the mix. Makes it even more sickening.

jeebeesus
07-16-2006, 06:11 PM
IN THE 1970s, Roscoe Tanner was one of the finest tennis players in the world.

Once ranked No 4 in the world, he won 15 titles in his heyday, including the Australian Open in 1977.

He even went close to winning Wimbledon in 1979 before he was beaten by five-time winner Bjorn Borg in a nail-biting five-set final.

But Tanner, 54, was not even in the grandstand at this year's final.

He is currently in jail.

'I'd love to be there at Wimbledon,' he told the Sunday Mail newspaper in England in a recent interview from his cell in a North Florida jail.

'But, for obvious reasons, I can't. Maybe one day.'

ALWAYS ON THE RUN

Tanner's fall from grace is one of the more sensational tales of drugs, gambling and sex in the tennis world.

He has being accused of a string of wrongdoing. Some are criminal, like cheating business associates and employers out of their money.

Others are moral, like cheating on wives and getting a prostitute pregnant, then refusing to support the child.

Each time a victim of his misdeeds confronted him, he responded in the same way - he ran.

He even earned the nickname 'Running Roscoe' from bounty hunters who were constantly on his tail.

His reputation as a cheat today is a far cry from his days as the centre court star.

During his peak in the 1970s, Tanner's name was mentioned in the same breath as tennis greats like John McEnroe and Jimmy Connors.

His powerful left-handed serve - considered the most lethal among his peers - propelled him through the rankings.

He is estimated to have won about US$1.7 million ($2.7m) in prize money and earned millions more in appearance fees and endorsement deals during his time at the top.

He was also widely seen to be one of the cleanest players in tennis.

But off the court, Tanner played a whole different ball game.

In his 2005 autobiography Double Fault, he wrote:

'On the tennis court, I hated cheating and that was the last way I wanted to win a match.

'But away from the court, I cheated on Nancy (his first wife) with abandon. Sure, it wasn't easy the first few times, but eventually I was able to stuff any guilty feelings into deep places in my heart.'

His philandering ways resulted in three broken marriages and five daughters to support by four women.

One of his children was the result of a tryst with a prostitute in a New York hotel while married to his second wife.

The woman demanded US$500,000 in child support. Tanner agreed to pay... then ran.

COCAINE AND GAMBLING

His first arrest was in 1997 for non-payment of child support to the prostitute. He was released on bail.

But soon after, he was declared bankrupt. His work as a country club tennis coach could no longer support his extravagant lifestyle, cocaine habit and love for gambling.

That's when he began to extend his cheating ways to business deals.

In 2000, he bought a US$39,000 yacht with his third wife in Florida, paying for it with a cheque that later bounced.

But before it did, he used the unpaid-for boat as collateral for a US$10,000 loan.

When the broker who sold him the boat went to confront him, Tanner ran.

This time, he fled to Europe, where he continued living the high life playing tournaments in the seniors' circuit.

The authorities eventually tracked him down in Germany and arrested him for fraud in 2003.

He spent six weeks in a German jail before being extradited back to the US, where he served three months' jail in Florida for the boat scam, then six months' in New Jersey for non-payment of US$83,000 in child support.

MORE LIES, MORE JAIL

When he was released in 2004, he vowed never to return to his criminal ways.

Soon after, he was hired to be a coach in an exclusive chain of California country clubs - and promptly resumed cheating people who believed in him.

Before long, he had stopped paying the bills for a sports utility vehicle (SUV) he bought and started pocketing the club's share of his coaching fees.

He also missed a court date in a child support case involving his second wife, with whom he had two children.

Confronted with these new problems, he ran again. Tanner fled to Tennessee in the unpaid-for SUV - which the club had to cover the cost of - and landed another coaching job.

But he was arrested in 2005 for a parole violation there and sentenced to two years' jail.

Despite his relapses, there are those who stand by him. 'I've known Roscoe for years and he was always a personable, decent bloke,' former opponent John Lloyd told the Sunday Mail.

'Some are not happy he did not support his children and I believe others are still owed money. But I wouldn't walk away from him.'

But at least one former wife doesn't agree.

'He had the world in his hands,' second wife Charlotte told ESPN. 'He chose to make major, major bad decisions. To me, he became a narcissist and a pathological liar.'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'VE GIVEN UP ON HIM, SAYS DAUGHTER

AS a child, Ms Tamara Tanner thought that she had the best dad in the world.

Despite Roscoe Tanner's celebrity status and hectic schedule as a tennis star, he went to as many of her soccer and tennis matches as he could and made time to coach her.

Now, the 20-year-old university student wants nothing to do with her father.

He had vowed to reconnect with his family after being released from jail last year - just before he was re-arrested for violating his probation offence.

During that brief period, Tanner wrote to his daughter and her mother, Charlotte, wanting to mend fences.

But in her reply to him, Ms Tanner wrote: 'Once again, when it's time to take care of your responsibilities, you put it off for something else. Dad, when are you going to step up to the plate?'

Ms Tanner says her father abandoned her in 1999 when he divorced her mother.

'All of a sudden, one day, he's gone,' Ms Tanner, who lives in California, told the ESPN sports network.

'How could he really love me and not come home? He's erased us from his life.'

Now that Tanner has expressed willingness to financially support and reconnect with all the children from his various relationships, not many people believe that he is sincere.

According to those who attended one of his court hearings last year, he failed to so much as say hello to Charlotte, Tamara and her sister Anne when they turned up to support him.

That's why Tamara refuses to let her father back into her life or even find out from him why he left them in the first place.

'Honestly, I've stopped trying to figure it out. It used to be too painful,' she said.

'If I could answer it, maybe I could help him. But I don't want to figure out what's going on in his head. I rather keep mine clear.'

Rickson
07-16-2006, 06:17 PM
Get your act together, Roscoe! Poor guy had some rough times. Roscoe needs a good job and a financial consultant.

uxnaitoahz
07-16-2006, 06:24 PM
Cry me a river.

oscar_2424
07-16-2006, 07:36 PM
very sad story

MARK ANDERS
07-16-2006, 09:03 PM
I've played tennis a few times right next to Tamara at Loyola Marymount Univ. courts. She is on the team there.

sandiegotennisboy
07-16-2006, 09:33 PM
low-lives can be tennis players too. just ask henin and capriati.

bluetrain4
01-16-2008, 07:39 AM
Someone told me that I served like Roscoe Tanner.

I have a very good serve for my level (4.5) in terms of power and placement. People tell me it's hard to read because I just throw up the ball and hit it - sort of an abbreviated motion, where my racquet arm doesn't really go down and all the way around. I just bend my knees, lock down beneath my shoulder and uncoil. I guess my ball toss is relatively low as well, though not super low like Kevin Curren.

Honestly, I had never heard this before. I think my service motion has changed over the years. Having heard the comments, I can see what people are talking about, but it doesn't feel weird to me. But for some reason, it has me thinking about it.

Supernatural_Serve
01-16-2008, 07:45 AM
He tossed the ball low, had a very fast preparation, hit with awesome power, flat as can be, barely clearing the net, with deadly accurate placement.

bluetrain4
01-16-2008, 07:56 AM
He tossed the ball low, had a very fast preparation, hit with awesome power, flat as can be, barely clearing the net, with deadly accurate placement.

I don't think my motion is that fast, though it is abbreviated. And, I don't always hit flat, but a combination of flat and spin serves. Plus, my net clearance ranges from low to relatively high on spin serves. The Roscoe Tanner comment came from someone I was playing against it. Since, I have never seen Tanner serve, I had no idea how accurate of a statement it was.

I guess it's sort of ridiculous to be compared to a pro, since I'm obviously not. I Googled "Roscoe Tanner" and "Service Motion" and one link discussed abbreviated service motions and mentioned Tanner and Roddick. I think my motion would be more similar to Roddick's (though obviously weaker) based on my own non-video analysis.

tacoben
01-16-2008, 08:28 AM
I remember Roscoe Tanner when I followed tennis back in the late '70s to early '80s. I remember a commentator analyzing his service motion...saying that Roscoe hit the ball as it was going up during the toss, as opposed to hitting it at peak or when coming down. He had the faster serve (of his era). I recall seeing a video of him knocking down the net with one of his serves.

Andres
01-16-2008, 08:30 AM
Tanner didn't let the ball drop at all during the toss. He always hit it at its peak, or while it was still going up.

Nellie
01-16-2008, 08:52 AM
Usually, this means that you used a short ball toss, typically that you hit the ball without any drop on the toss. No one really knows how tanner served, other than his toss. I think the closest pro is Lubecik

tacoben
01-16-2008, 08:57 AM
One thing to keep in mind, he was using a standard size racquet back then, with a very tight tension (I think his racquet was a metal Head pro?), so in order to generate the speed he was hitting, he had to get the ball on the sweet spot with great consistency with minimal variance. I don't recall how fast his speed was when it was clocked, but it would be interesting to know if his speed compares to today's players.

LuckyR
01-16-2008, 09:11 AM
One thing to keep in mind, he was using a standard size racquet back then, with a very tight tension (I think his racquet was a metal Head pro?), so in order to generate the speed he was hitting, he had to get the ball on the sweet spot with great consistency with minimal variance. I don't recall how fast his speed was when it was clocked, but it would be interesting to know if his speed compares to today's players.

He used the PDP Open (a precursor to the widebody technology of the 80's).

Andres
01-16-2008, 09:12 AM
Usually, this means that you used a short ball toss, typically that you hit the ball without any drop on the toss. No one really knows how tanner served, other than his toss. I think the closest pro is Lubecik
Who??

In my opinion, the closest pro (motion wise) to Tanner's is Daniele Bracciali

Andres
01-16-2008, 09:15 AM
This is the best serving video I found about Bracciali: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbElvx_ujws

Daniele is the one serving first ;). I'll try finding a new one.

Andres
01-16-2008, 09:21 AM
This is Bracciali vs Nadal, Rome 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf5smBu-ah0

bluetrain4
01-16-2008, 10:25 AM
I think I'm more like Bracciali. I watched the vids and that's pretty similar to what I do.

Bagumbawalla
01-18-2008, 03:39 PM
Unless the person who said this to you was a cockney from London. Then in their special rhyming slang it might mean to serve in the "Curley-Joe Manner". In other words, like one of the lesser "Three Stooges".

BountyHunter
05-21-2008, 01:31 PM
What does it mean to "serve like Roscoe Tanner?" How simple the question, how simple the answer:

Roscoe SERVED ONE YEAR in the Florida Dept of Corrections for FELONY WORTHLESS CHECK and GRAND THEFT but that SERVICE had NO meaning for Roscoe, as he just this week was arrested AGAIN for, guess what? FELONY WORTHLESS CHECK (UNDER $60,000). This MEANS Roscoe just doesn't learn from his mistakes.

Another example: a dozen warrants for CRIMINAL CONTEMPT OF COURT for his recalcitrant refusal to pay court ordered child support, and he was convicted three times for that offense, SERVED over 40 days in the Orange County Jail in California, yet his is STILL refusing to pay the court ordered child support despite having a trust fund containing approximately $2.5 million which was set up for him by his father out of an estate of approximately $9 million. This MEANS Roscoe doesn't intend to comply in full with the dozen previous orders of that court, as he is spending big bucks in an attempt to pay less despite his ample MEANS.

Then there is New Jersey, where he has also been arrested and SERVED time for CRIMINAL CONTEMPT OF COURT for refusing to pay child support.

Then there is Georgia, where he was also arrested and jailed for CRIMINAL CONTEMPT OF COURT for refusing to pay child support.

Yet Roscoe Tanner continues have the MEANS of traveling around the country and around the world proclaiming his "Christianity" and "SERVICE" to the "underprivileged" yet doesn't want to give his children the child support they need to buy tennis shoes or a tennis racket or to enroll in tennis camp since he MEANS to get around to teaching them but doesn't quite have the time to do so because of his important travels.

Instead of "adoring" his SERVE, Roscoe's fans who really value his reputation ought to help his children out financially since Roscoe has been too busy visiting casinos and buying luxury boats and luxury cars with worthless checks or borrowed money or his inheritance.

It seems to me that $2.5 million is plenty to pay off all the court ordered child support and alimony and restitution and still have enough to pay attorneys and travel and gamble and eat in fancy restaurants and go around the country and world.

Instead, Roscoe Tanner brags about helping other people's poor kids but refuses to help is own. What a shame that this sad millionaire is so recalcitrant, and feeds his ego by basking in the adoration of fans who remember a serve from a televised match they say thirty years ago.

I guess that trumps caring about Roscoe's kids. It appears that his fans have the same priorities as Roscoe does.

chess9
05-21-2008, 02:20 PM
What is your relationship to Roscoe Tanner?

-Robert

Kaptain Karl
05-21-2008, 02:44 PM
I remember a commentator analyzing his service motion...saying that Roscoe hit the ball as it was going up during the toss ...

... and ...

Andres Guazzelli: Tanner didn't let the ball drop at all during the toss. He always hit it at its peak, or while it was still going up.That was a popular misconception. Back in the late '70s (Braden, I think) demonstrated, with high-speed vids Tanner actually had amazing timing. He almost always hit the ball *just* as his toss peaked ... not "on the way up."

He had the faster serve (of his era). I recall seeing a video of him knocking down the net with one of his serves.Yup. I was there. It was a doubles match. The match was delayed for almost a half-hour while they replaced the net. (Nobody had ever broken the net cord with his serve before. They were not prepared for it....)

He used the PDP Open (a precursor to the widebody technology of the 80's).Yes, on the PDP Open. (I never thought of it as the "precursor" you mentioned, though.) The Open was PDP's answer to the Red Head ... and was a pretty good frame. (But if you ever mis-hit and whacked a ground stroke on the plastic throat, you had a very good chance of breaking the throat....)

Tanner's contemporaries believe his serve would be clocked over 150MPH with today's technology. "Maybe...."

- KK

BountyHunter
05-21-2008, 03:42 PM
Robert, Chess 9, asked my "relationship" to Roscoe. Professional. I arrested him in Atlanta, Georgia in 2001 at the request of the Dade County, Georgia authorities after he had skipped town upon finding out they had a criminal contempt of court warrant to serve on him. I tracked him down to Treasure Island, Florida, where he had been hiding out, then to Atlanta, where I found him on the tennis court. He was held in the Fulton County jail and then transfered to the Dade County Jail, and released after he made a past due child support payment, agreed to catch up the past due amounts, and to show up in court as ordered.

When he violated probation in Florida on the felony charges Pinellas County had, and skipped California when he found out about criminal contempt of court warrants issued in his name (for the 12th time) due to his refusal to appear in court as order and to pay past due child support, I tracked him at the request of the Florida and California authorities from Chattanooga, TN to Georgia, to South Carolina, and then to Virginia, where I lost track of him. He resurfaced in England, and just before Interpol picked him up, he skipped again, this time to Germany.

Again, he fled just in time, back to Tennessee, where he hid out in Knoxville. I located him thanks to tips from some of his "fans" working at an exclusive tennis resort. I tipped off the Knox County fugitive squad who arrested him in Knoxville and held him on the California and Florida warrants. He later served one year in Florida and over 40 days in California for his probation violations.

The current felony charge involves his purchase of two luxury cars with a worthless check. Since he wisely turned himself in on that charge, so there was no need for someone like myself to locate him.

Does that answer your question, Robert?

Kaptain Karl
05-21-2008, 03:56 PM
I thought he wrote the bad check for a boat...? (I think that's what his book said.)

Isn't Roscoe *still* incarcerated ... someplace in the USA?

- KK

chess9
05-21-2008, 04:30 PM
Robert, Chess 9, asked my "relationship" to Roscoe. Professional. I arrested him in Atlanta, Georgia in 2001 at the request of the Dade County, Georgia authorities after he had skipped town upon finding out they had a criminal contempt of court warrant to serve on him. I tracked him down to Treasure Island, Florida, where he had been hiding out, then to Atlanta, where I found him on the tennis court. He was held in the Fulton County jail and then transfered to the Dade County Jail, and released after he made a past due child support payment, agreed to catch up the past due amounts, and to show up in court as ordered.

When he violated probation in Florida on the felony charges Pinellas County had, and skipped California when he found out about criminal contempt of court warrants issued in his name (for the 12th time) due to his refusal to appear in court as order and to pay past due child support, I tracked him at the request of the Florida and California authorities from Chattanooga, TN to Georgia, to South Carolina, and then to Virginia, where I lost track of him. He resurfaced in England, and just before Interpol picked him up, he skipped again, this time to Germany.

Again, he fled just in time, back to Tennessee, where he hid out in Knoxville. I located him thanks to tips from some of his "fans" working at an exclusive tennis resort. I tipped off the Knox County fugitive squad who arrested him in Knoxville and held him on the California and Florida warrants. He later served one year in Florida and over 40 days in California for his probation violations.

The current felony charge involves his purchase of two luxury cars with a worthless check. Since he wisely turned himself in on that charge, so there was no need for someone like myself to locate him.

Does that answer your question, Robert?

Yes! That's quite a load too. :)

Is Roscoe a drug addict? Or simply a spoiled brat? Or, something else? With his tennis credentials he could be earning a lot of money if he were willing to live within the bounds of the law. Very sad, particularly for his kids.

-Robert

LuckyR
05-22-2008, 07:58 AM
Yes, on the PDP Open. (I never thought of it as the "precursor" you mentioned, though.) The Open was PDP's answer to the Red Head ... and was a pretty good frame. (But if you ever mis-hit and whacked a ground stroke on the plastic throat, you had a very good chance of breaking the throat....)

Tanner's contemporaries believe his serve would be clocked over 150MPH with today's technology. "Maybe...."

- KK

Yes, the Open was similar to the Head Pro, but since the metal was wider and stiffer than the Pro is made for an extremely stiff racquet (it was my choice in HS). Remember, folks were using wood sticks when the Open was being made, so it was off the chart stiff for it's era. Ten years later when I tried the graphite (arm killer) racquets of the late 80's they were even stiffer, but were the norm at that time.

sureshs
05-24-2008, 10:41 AM

Hopefully not several years in prison.

BreakPoint
05-24-2008, 11:24 AM
Roscoe Tanner? Didn't he have the world's fastest serve, once clocked at 153 miles per hour by a radar gun and routinely reaching 130 m.p.h., which earned him the nickname "Bullet Man?" Hadn't the lefthander made over $2 million with 18 career titles, including the 1977 Australian Open?And that was with an old 70 sq. in. racquet! :shock:

Article by Bud Collins:
http://www.boston.com/sports/other_sports/tennis/articles/2004/07/03/hard_time_cant_keep_tanner_down/?page=1

Bungalo Bill
05-24-2008, 11:50 AM

I have a very good serve for my level (4.5) in terms of power and placement. People tell me it's hard to read because I just throw up the ball and hit it - sort of an abbreviated motion, where my racquet arm doesn't really go down and all the way around. I just bend my knees, lock down beneath my shoulder and uncoil. I guess my ball toss is relatively low as well, though not super low like Kevin Curren.

Honestly, I had never heard this before. I think my service motion has changed over the years. Having heard the comments, I can see what people are talking about, but it doesn't feel weird to me. But for some reason, it has me thinking about it.

Roscoe Tanner could hit the living daylights out of the ball with a wood racquet. It has been said that he has had his serve at around 140mph hitting it with a wood racquet.

Roscoe had an arcing toss. He brought his tossing hand towards his body and "flipped" the ball up and out into the court.

It was a low toss so his motion was real quick. Roddick reminds me of him.

NLBwell
05-25-2008, 06:45 PM
Roscoe used a PDP fiberglass racket during a lot of his peak years (of course much more flexible than graphite, but more power than the wood of his day). I believe his serve was timed at 144 or 145 mph, but that is just from memory.

NLBwell
05-25-2008, 06:47 PM
I though I saw somewhere that his daughter is a top junior or college player.

BountyHunter
05-27-2008, 07:27 PM
Kaptain Karl and others:

The worthless check Roscoe wrote in Florida WAS for a boat, as was the grand theft charge. (He wrote a bad check for the boat (first charge), then sold it (second charge.) When he skipped town, he was then arrested for flight to avoid prosecution on those charges. Then after his guilty plea, he was put on probation and violated the terms of his probation, and a fugitive (absconder) warrant was issued, which is why he was arrested in Tennessee in 2005. In January, 2006, he was sentenced to serve 2 years in a Florida prison, but was released in 2007 after serving only ONE YEAR, supposedly due to "good behavior." His attorney, Turner Howard, paid $25,000 to the victim as "partial settlement" of the actual amount of restitution ordered by the court when Roscoe plead guilty, without the knowledge and advance approval of either the judge or the district attorney.

The arrest in Tennessee THIS MONTH is for a completely different felony charge, but does also involve a worthless check, in the amount of $72,000, I am informed, for two luxury sports utility vehicles. (There might actually be two checks involved, but I believe there is only one charge.) Roscoe was released on a $2.000.00 bond as a favor to Turner Howard, according to the courthouse gossip. He is expected, through his lawyer, to make an offer of restitution in this case, from his $2.5 million trust fund set up by his father before his death last year.

Hope this clarifies the confusing history of Roscoe's felony arrests. If you think that is confusing, you ought to try keeping up with the contempt of court warrants issued by various states over the years for refusing to comply with court orders relating to child support! He is supposedly on the contempt dockets of courts in both New Jersey and California.

It would seem that this man needs a secretary just to keep up with three different charges in three different states. Meanwhile, he keeps on giving speeches claiming to be "born again" and "helping disadvantaged children", at the same time he REFUSES to support HIS OWN children, and scams legitimate businessmen.

If he actually PAYS current on the court ordered child support and makes full restitution to the car dealership, he should still have over a million dollars left to spend at Harrahs. What's the big deal? I don't understand why he tries so hard NOT to pay his legitimate obligations.

Bungalo Bill
05-28-2008, 06:40 AM
Kaptain Karl and others:

The worthless check Roscoe wrote in Florida WAS for a boat, as was the grand theft charge. (He wrote a bad check for the boat (first charge), then sold it (second charge.) When he skipped town, he was then arrested for flight to avoid prosecution on those charges. Then after his guilty plea, he was put on probation and violated the terms of his probation, and a fugitive (absconder) warrant was issued, which is why he was arrested in Tennessee in 2005. In January, 2006, he was sentenced to serve 2 years in a Florida prison, but was released in 2007 after serving only ONE YEAR, supposedly due to "good behavior." His attorney, Turner Howard, paid $25,000 to the victim as "partial settlement" of the actual amount of restitution ordered by the court when Roscoe plead guilty, without the knowledge and advance approval of either the judge or the district attorney.

The arrest in Tennessee THIS MONTH is for a completely different felony charge, but does also involve a worthless check, in the amount of $72,000, I am informed, for two luxury sports utility vehicles. (There might actually be two checks involved, but I believe there is only one charge.) Roscoe was released on a $2.000.00 bond as a favor to Turner Howard, according to the courthouse gossip. He is expected, through his lawyer, to make an offer of restitution in this case, from his $2.5 million trust fund set up by his father before his death last year.

Hope this clarifies the confusing history of Roscoe's felony arrests. If you think that is confusing, you ought to try keeping up with the contempt of court warrants issued by various states over the years for refusing to comply with court orders relating to child support! He is supposedly on the contempt dockets of courts in both New Jersey and California.

It would seem that this man needs a secretary just to keep up with three different charges in three different states. Meanwhile, he keeps on giving speeches claiming to be "born again" and "helping disadvantaged children", at the same time he REFUSES to support HIS OWN children, and scams legitimate businessmen.

If he actually PAYS current on the court ordered child support and makes full restitution to the car dealership, he should still have over a million dollars left to spend at Harrahs. What's the big deal? I don't understand why he tries so hard NOT to pay his legitimate obligations.

Yes, Roscoes woes with the law have been well documented. It is unfortunate that such a talented player needs to resort to crime.

It often puzzled me to think why he would go this direction and the only thing I could come up with is that it is a challenge to him or a gamble and he loved rolling the dice to see if he could beat the system.

Unfortunately, he has lost big. What we don't know is how many times he might have been successful at it to keep him going.

Nellie
05-28-2008, 07:26 AM
As a young kid (I would say late seventies), I went to an exposition where Tanner played one of the best players in Asia at a satellite event. The match went something like this:

Asian player stood stood back at the wall, about 20 feet from the baseline.
Tanner would toss;
You would hear a sonic Boom but never see the serve!
You would then see a ball rolling around the court.
The opponent walked to the other side to wait for the next serve.

Kaptain Karl
05-28-2008, 10:30 AM
Bounty Hunter - Thanks for the update. I had no idea Tanner hadn't learned his lesson. (As a Christian ... I wish he'd shut-up. He's not a good ambassador for Christ at all.)

I may be "reading too much into your posts," but it seems you take special offense to Roscoe's scofflaw behavior. (It almost seems personal to you, by the "tone" of your posts.) Are you a tennis player? Do you personally know his kids ... ex-wives (3? 4?) ... others he has scammed? Or do you get just as irritated with every case you work on?

Mike Yorkey, who co-authored Roscoe's book, did post here (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=45692) when Double Fault came out. (FWIW)

- KK

simi
05-28-2008, 11:35 AM
.....What's the big deal? I don't understand why he tries so hard NOT to pay his legitimate obligations.

Some people in this life have psychological issues. Tanner is certainly one of them. Let us all hope, for the sake of his children, that he gets professional help in accepting his responsibilities.

MAX PLY
05-28-2008, 12:03 PM
Roscoe used a PDP fiberglass racket during a lot of his peak years (of course much more flexible than graphite, but more power than the wood of his day). I believe his serve was timed at 144 or 145 mph, but that is just from memory.

Actually, Tanner played with the PDP Open, an aluminum racquet with a plastic throat piece (similar to the old Head Professional, the Dunlop Volley, Wilson World Class and a bunch of other copies) (PDP also made the Fiberstaff which looked like a traditional wood racquet but was some sort of fiberglass composite). He was constantly in the high 130s and low to mid
140s and was allegedly clocked at 153 once.

Why anyone would take a check from him these days, however, is beyond me . . .

Mansewerz
05-28-2008, 12:17 PM
any vids of this guy's serve?

CyBorg
05-28-2008, 01:52 PM
The thread title rhymes. har-har.

jean pierre
05-29-2008, 01:28 AM
There's a sucker born every minute -wait, second, and anyone who believed Tanner goes straight to the head of that class. Hope you didn't give the lowlife your credit card #! Oz open wasn't really a major from 1976-82, how else do you think Vilas won it twice on grass? Borg, Connors and McEnroe skipped it.

I'm sorry to say that, but Vilas was great on grass. At the Australian Open, he beats good specialists of grass, like Amaya, Tony Toche, McNamara and Dent. And in the Masters in Australia, on grass again, he beats Borg, Nastase and Newcombe !!

rock chalk
05-30-2008, 08:09 AM
Roscoe's serve could be termed simply as efficient. Rather than toss the ball high while taking the racquet back, arching his back, and then hitting his serve as the toss came down (like most pro's), Roscoe started his racquet motion and then tossed the ball into that motion--as his racquet came forward. It was very short and compact, and there was no 'hitch' before he served. You'll see some pro's try that in extremely windy conditions--it prevents the ball from 'blowing' around.

That's what Roscoe did.

Rabbit
05-30-2008, 09:03 AM
Yeah, it was almost like his toss didn't reach the apex before he hit it. His ultra quick timing on his serve was also very different from a normal service delivery. This robbed his opponents of time and also disguised his delivery very well. Tanner also did surprising well on clay for a guy who relied so heavily on his serve. It was also surprising that he only reached 1 Wimbledon final with such a big weapon. Another guy who reach 1 Wimbledon final and I think was a right-handed version of Tanner was Kevin Curren. His delivery while not as quick as Tanner's, was nonetheless very well timed and very efficient.

bet
05-30-2008, 02:36 PM
Some people in this life have psychological issues. Tanner is certainly one of them. Let us all hope, for the sake of his children, that he gets professional help in accepting his responsibilities.

Precisely. Guys, i have followed the story more closely than most and I had previously spent years, back in the 90's studying his serve.

I think it's obvious Tanner has serious pyschological problems and is quite likely a psychopath. I wouldn't bother trying to reason out his actions at this point. Many of the things he has done have not been out necessity or desperation. He has psychological disorders.

rock chalk
06-01-2008, 07:35 AM
...otherwise how can you explain him writing bad checks for cars, boats, etc. Not a great example for our children.

Rabbit, you're dead-on with the apex comment. That's the best way to describe his serve -- he hit the toss on the way up.

Bet, I wondered too why he didn't have more success at Wimbledon. But, now that we're seeing his psycho tendencies, maybe his 'head' was never in it back then--and, at that level you know that your mind has to be right.

hoodjem
06-01-2008, 08:19 AM
This was a fairly common serve technique at the time; I was taught to hit the serve this way

Toss the ball just to the exact height where you plan to hit it, and don't wait for the ball to drop. The theory was that if you hit it on the way down then your timing could be off a little and you would mis-hit it. If you hit the ball right at the top of the toss, then the ball is theoretically motionless (not moving vertically up or down), so it is easier to time.

Also it rushes your opponent a little.

AndrewD
06-01-2008, 09:54 AM
I think it's obvious Tanner has serious pyschological problems and is quite likely a psychopath. I wouldn't bother trying to reason out his actions at this point. Many of the things he has done have not been out necessity or desperation. He has psychological disorders.

Look up the definition for 'Aggressive narcissism' and you'll find that Tanner ticks each and every box.

Holdfast44ID
06-04-2008, 12:03 AM
I've heard about Tanner's issues over the years. Too bad. He was one of the players I looked up to as a kid because of his huge serve. I remember he used to break racquets in half on occasion while serving. When I was either a senior in HS or a college freshman, I was working on my serve on court one at Stanford while he was sitting on the bench, watching for a bit. That was pretty cool. He just watched, but didn't have anything to say. I remember trying to rip my serve as best I could at the time. Guess my serve sucked! lol. Anyway, the distance from the baseline to the fence (at least back then) was much longer than that of normal tennis courts. I remember he could crank a mean second serve with spin with a really easy motion and the ball would kick up 5 feet on the back fence after the first bounce! That was just during warmups... I think Tanner had the biggest serve in tennis ever, faster than Roddick.

Holdfast

bet
06-08-2008, 09:06 PM
Roscoe Tanner could hit the living daylights out of the ball with a wood racquet. It has been said that he has had his serve at around 140mph hitting it with a wood racquet.

Roscoe had an arcing toss. He brought his tossing hand towards his body and "flipped" the ball up and out into the court.

It was a low toss so his motion was real quick. Roddick reminds me of him.

No. This isn't true. Tanner actually had his arm out in front of his body, straightened it out/down and then brought the ball straight up if viewed from the side. The ball was moving slightly forward, (a few inches), due to his forward body momentum. It was also "arcing" slightly to the left if viewed from the front.

He did not bring his tossing hand towards his body and flip the ball out into the court.

bet
06-08-2008, 09:10 PM
This was a fairly common serve technique at the time; I was taught to hit the serve this way

Toss the ball just to the exact height where you plan to hit it, and don't wait for the ball to drop. The theory was that if you hit it on the way down then your timing could be off a little and you would mis-hit it. If you hit the ball right at the top of the toss, then the ball is theoretically motionless (not moving vertically up or down), so it is easier to time.

Also it rushes your opponent a little.

Yes, quite correct. And many pros from the era had low tosses, though most of these still had at least a SLIGHT drop. More like you'd see from an Ivanisevic or Krajicek or a Roddick.

Tanner hit at the exact peak. While Curren actually hit it on the rise. There have only been a handful of pros during the 90's and 2000's who have hit at the actual peak or on the rise and most of them aren't well known.

BountyHunter
07-08-2008, 04:13 PM
To answer your question, he served one year in a Florida Department of Corrections prison for Felony Fugitive/Absconder violations of probation he received upon his guilty pleas to Felony Grand Theft and Felony Fraud relating to a boat he purchased with worthless check, and then sold to another party from whom it was repossessed due to his failure to make his check good. The Fugitive charge arose out of his flight (to Europe and several states) to avoid prosecution on the probation violation charge -- he refused to report as directed to his probation officer, refused to pay restitution as directed by the court, refused to keep the probation officer informed of his current residential address and employment details.

Upon his release from the Florida prison, he was transferred to the Orange County California jail, where he served a sentence of under 45 days for a criminal contempt of court charge for refusing to appear in court as ordered, for fleeing the state of California to avoid arrest, and for refusing to pay court ordered child support to the clerk of court for two of his biological children from his second marriage.

After his release from the Orange County jail, he ended up in Knoxville, Tennessee where he was arrested again for Felony Theft, for writing a worthless check in the amount of $72,000 as payment for two luxury Toyota Sports Utility Vehicles, which he bought for two of his step-daughters. Tanner was given the opportunity to return the SUVs before the warrant was issued, but he had already given the vehicles to his step-children (from his third wife), so he was arrested May 18, 2008 and released on a nominal bond.

Tanner is still facing potential charges for violating probation in New Jersey and California, both related to unpaid child support. The NJ child support is due on a daughter from a relationship that took place during Tanner's second marriage. He also has a biological child from both is first and third marriages.

It is curious that Tanner refuses to pay court ordered child support due to clerks of court in at least two states, but has plenty of money and time available to buy expensive boats and sports utility vehicles for use by people other than himself.

He, personally, does not have money worries. Besides royalties he receives from the sale of his autographed pictures and such, he receives money for conducting tennis clinics around the world, earned nearly $2 million during his pro tennis career, and now has a trust fund of approximately $2.5 million which is administered by his step-mother, who lives on exclusive Lookout Mountain on the Tennessee/Georgia border, where Tanner grew up in luxury, attending an exclusive "prep" school in a nearby city.

It is so sad that this gifted man chooses to write bad checks, spent money wildly, spoils his young step-daughters with luxury SUVs, yet refuses to visit his biological daughters or pay child support to the court on their behalf regularly. His priorities are misguided.

He will be facing judges in Tennessee, New Jersey, and California, unless he is able to address the above matters to the satisfaction of the courts in those states. Since he has already served time in jails or prisons in Germany, Florida, New Jersey, Georgia, Tennessee, and California, it is unlikely that Tanner will be eager substantially increase his potential "vacation time" by fleeing again. So you can expect to see him plead "not guilty" in all three jurisdictions, and hire expensive lawyers in each state in his efforts to evade restitution to his victims, including the Toyota dealership and his biological children.

He has the financial means to pay all monies owed to his victims, but it remains to be seen whether the courts of these states will impose jail or prison time in addition to court ordered restitution, fines, and costs, if he is convicted or pleads guilty. It is simply amazing to me how much money spoiled brats who happen to be wealthy will pay in attorneys fees to keep from being required to pay just obligations the rest of us lowly humans have to pay when a judge with a Doctor of Law degree so orders. I guess some of us have talent and charisma and money and are entitled to violate the law with impunity, and others of us have no talent, no charisma, no money, and are obliged to obey the laws "Recalcitrant Roscoe" ignores.