PDA

View Full Version : He keep telling me what to do...

nhat8121
06-08-2009, 12:20 AM
A old friend of mine. I've known him for a long time, but we don't really hang out much b/c I just don't get along with him. He used to play HS tennis so I suppose he's not too bad. Until just recently that I've got into tennis that we really just have this in common...probably why we don't hang out much.

So today, we play double together. We played before and it'd been bad, but today, it just went up another level. He keep telling me where to stand, where to serve, where to hit, drop shot, make them come in and lob, hit and the weaker player, and everything else you can think of. He's giving me signs of what he's gonna do. He's also doing some random I formation...it was a real clinic out there. I just nod and went along with whatever he says as I didn't wanna make a big deal as it's just recreational tennis. He also told me he has a coach who tells him to play all out no matter who your opponents are. Whom he had played with earlier in the day and has commented on how good he is at the net. I thought it was idiotic, but I didn't say anything b/c he'd been playing tennis for a long time and he has a coach. He's fitter, he works harder than me. He plays with his shirt off, whereas I play with 2 layers on haha.

Our opponents who was nice enough to ask us to come play b/c we were just standing there waiting for an open court. They're roughly about 3.0 guy and gal. The woman can't even run that well also. Did I mention how strong this guy is...he can really smash the ball. I just try to hit nice balls to the other couple and run to the net to try and play some volleys. When they do those lobs, my partner would smash those overheads. Some of them are quite scary. One almost took off the head of the guy, another hit the leg of the woman. It made me cringed...it ****ed me off, but I didn't have the balls to tell him anything.

He told me I need to move more, pay more attention and be more competitive. That really got to me so I ask if he wants to play a quick first to 3 games of single. I just wanna show him of how competitive I am without actually telling him. I went on to beat him 3-1 and I really didn't even play that well...it was pretty sad.

We went on to play another set of double with a different couple. This time I ask if I can play on the woman's team and he can play with the other guy. This dude can serve, I've seen it, I know he can serve much better than I am. Yet, he does this underhand serving. Of course I go in and crush it. Then I ask "wtf you're trying to prove? would you do this in a real game? just play normal, man." He said he didn't wanna hit hard at my partner. At this moment, I think due to all that anger that has bottled up from earlier. I just told him "Why don't you f***ing try to hit at my face then, I don't mind." When his partner (who later told me how painful it was for him on his side of the court with all the directings) serves at me and he's at the net...I smacked two really hard (or as hard as I can really hit) forehands right at him (he lost both points.) Not sure if that was the tipping point but he told me I have a really bad attitude and that he will never play with me again. I didn't try to explain anything nor did I feel like explaining my feeling about the whole situation. I didn't say one word, he left the court without saying another word to me. I'm assuming our friendship ends here.

Now that I'm home and thinking about it. I feel that maybe that would helped him, me, and all the people that get to play with him in the future if I had told him straight up of how I felt. That your coach is an idiot, you don't have to destroyed the weaker players to show your prowess. You are not as good as you think you are. You don't know everything like you think you do. You can't even win points off 5.0 players, not to say staying competitive with them. Stop frigging telling me what to do, I hate it. Stop telling others what to do, they don't like that either. Stop bragging out how good your life is...I don't care. Put your effing shirt on, it's not that hot. Wear shorts that have pockets, I don't want to hold balls for you when you serve. Of course, not necessarily in this tone, but it's too late for this now...and it sounds like a rant now :( It's just not easy for me to keep a friend I guess :(

There's another regular at the court who's not a friend, but I've played with him many times now. This dude sucks...roughly 3.0 due to his endless unforced errors. He tells everyone he play with what to do, he complains when they make errors, he questions all the line calls. Everyone hates to play with him, they all love to play against him and smack the ball at him. Yet, no one wants to tell him to stop being a b*tch. Maybe the next time I play with him, I will man up and tell him to stop telling me what to do...

some6uy008
06-08-2009, 12:29 AM
You see, there's one thing I see wrong with your perspective; people don't see their faults, only those around them.

I'm pretty sure the guy is at home thinking what a scum bag you are too.

nhat8121
06-08-2009, 12:38 AM
You see, there's one thing I see wrong with your perspective; people don't see their faults, only those around them.

I'm pretty sure the guy is at home thinking what a scum bag you are too.

that's probably true

i guess, there's no turning back...

120mphBodyServe
06-08-2009, 01:34 AM
LOL.. Thanks for the laughs...
Sounds like you need to make some new friends and find somewhere else to play...
:-P

subaru3169
06-08-2009, 04:04 AM
ya.. find some better ppl to play with.. i mean, like you said, it's recreational.. some ppl just don't understand how to tone it down in a non tournament/training setting, so it's not your fault he's a *****

take a look at that assault thread in this section.. not exactly the same thing but the concept is similar.. if no one tells a dbag to stop acting the fool, they'll continue to do so without knowing

PushyPushster
06-08-2009, 05:02 AM
Put your effing shirt on, it's not that hot.

Out of all your complaints this was the most important. For everyone. Please mail Super Dude a letter, detailing your issues, and ending with, "Find enclosed - one free t-shirt. We don't need to be assaulted by your sculpted manliness. Thank you."

larry10s
06-08-2009, 05:30 AM
please donate $5 to the charity of your choice for having a free therapy session on this forum based on the length of your post you got it off your chest now just continue to not hang out play tennis etc with this guy

Gemini
06-08-2009, 05:35 AM
The fact that you refer to him as an old friend and then say that you don't get along with him tells me you're not really friends at all. I'd say he's an acquaintance.

And it seems like you-two just don't need to play together. There's too much tension and misunderstanding from both sides. You can man-up and tell him to stop pushing you around (which is fair enough) but I don't think it's going to be to any effect.

royer
06-08-2009, 06:18 AM
I would think that most people could sympathize with your situation. Just about everyone has played with a partner who offers way too much advice.

Personally, I can't stand playing with such people. On-court communication is essential in doubles, BUT when your partner starts "coaching" you ... that's about it for me. I would add that in my experience, the players who love to "coach" their partners during a match would be of greater benefit to the team if they focused more on their own game than on their partner's game.

The solution? Play singles whenever possible. I'm not trying to be snide, I just really enjoy the individual aspect of singles. It's just me, myself, and I. Of course there are times when myself and I are a real pain in the *** to me. :)

nhat8121
06-08-2009, 10:44 AM
The fact that you refer to him as an old friend and then say that you don't get along with him tells me you're not really friends at all. I'd say he's an acquaintance.

And it seems like you-two just don't need to play together. There's too much tension and misunderstanding from both sides. You can man-up and tell him to stop pushing you around (which is fair enough) but I don't think it's going to be to any effect.

He is an old friend. We used to hang out when we were little. I feel he's changed, but then again, everyone changed a little as they grew. Maybe it's not completely true to say we don't get along. I find most of the things he says to be pretentious, braggy, and quite annoying, but I don't tell him that. I just ignore it and try to find something else to talk about. So, maybe he thinks we're all cool. He's one of those people that "work hard and play hard." He probably also read in some book somewhere that you have to be assertive to be successful and it has gotten him far, I suppose. So, I can't fault him for that kinda thinking. I think just because we don't have much in common doesn't mean we can't be friends, no?

royer
06-08-2009, 11:02 AM
He is an old friend. We used to hang out when we were little. I feel he's changed, but then again, everyone changed a little as they grew. Maybe it's not completely true to say we don't get along. I find most of the things he says to be pretentious, braggy, and quite annoying, but I don't tell him that. I just ignore it and try to find something else to talk about. So, maybe he thinks we're all cool. He's one of those people that "work hard and play hard." He probably also read in some book somewhere that you have to be assertive to be successful and it has gotten him far, I suppose. So, I can't fault him for that kinda thinking. I think just because we don't have much in common doesn't mean we can't be friends, no?

Be friends? Yes. Be partners? NO!

beernutz
06-08-2009, 11:18 AM
Out of all your complaints this was the most important. For everyone. Please mail Super Dude a letter, detailing your issues, and ending with, "Find enclosed - one free t-shirt. We don't need to be assaulted by your sculpted manliness. Thank you."

I knew Pushy would have the funniest answer.

But seriously, send the letter.

Cindysphinx
06-08-2009, 12:58 PM
Can I ever commiserate! I don't mind a friend giving occasional advice on the court - especially if I ask for it. But it's highly annoying to have someone continually coaching and critiquing your game. Normally it's someone who's no better than you are, and often it's "advice" you don't think is correct. These folks quickly get a reputation for doing it, and eventually have problems finding games.

Yeah. The coaching on stroke mechanics drives me absolutely nuts. I always wonder "Why are you watching me hit so attentively that you can correct my stroke mechanics? Watch our opponents, not me!"

And then the advice is so *wrong.* The advice I get a lot is that I "ran through the shot and I need to stop before I hit." It's probably the Number One piece of wrong, unsolicited hitting advice.

:: heavy, pained sigh ::

Cindy -- who wants to pull her hair out in clumps when her partner coaches her on her serve because she is 100% certain they are not watching her when she serves

subaru3169
06-08-2009, 01:38 PM
an older gentleman i play with does this sometimes mostly coz i'm not a doubles player.. but from the first time i've played with him, i was coming back from an injury which hasn't fully healed so i couldn't move as well.. and he kept telling me to move a certain way which i obviously tell him i can't and he just says, "hey you're young, what are you complaining about".. well, gee sir, i didn't know i wasn't allowed to feel injured.. how 'bout you play me singles and you tell me how well YOU can move??

: sigh : sometimes, ppl are dbags on the court.. one of the reasons i'm glad i was trained as a singles player

Steady Eddy
06-08-2009, 02:00 PM
Giving unsolicited advice seems to come more often from older players. Will I get this way when I get old? I hope not. Also old guys like to talk and don't take any hints that they're boring. I really hope I don't develop that habit either. I wouldn't be in a hurry to say yes when this guys asks you to play.

120mphBodyServe
06-08-2009, 07:06 PM
Is it so wrong to offer a few pointers to your doubles partner?
I've done it from time to time.. But I don't believe you have to be a ******bag when you do it...

Steady Eddy
06-08-2009, 07:48 PM
Is it so wrong to offer a few pointers to your doubles partner?
I've done it from time to time.. But I don't believe you have to be a ******bag when you do it...
No, it's not wrong to do that a little. How does your partner seem to take it? If his body language says he doesn't like it, then drop it, no matter how good you think your tips are.

mlktennis
06-08-2009, 07:48 PM
wow that's a great rant!

Forget the guy and move on. Life is too short to try to be friends with everyone from your past esp when you two have obviously moved in diff directions.

I just got done playing with a lifelong 3.0 in his 50's with literally no mobility- half step in each direction MAX. had to run all over the court to try and cover everything- lost badly and to top it all off, he's giving me BS advice all match long. Man, it was like going to the dentist and no painkiller.

subaru3169
06-08-2009, 08:23 PM
a few little pointers obviously doesn't hurt like "hey watch his kick" or "catch it if he drops".. but listening to a lecture during the entire set is annoying as hell.. say a little bit during the changeover but not during the game.. yeesh

Annika
06-08-2009, 10:51 PM
Be friends? Yes. Be partners? NO!

Be married? Yes. Be partners? No....

Vermillion
06-08-2009, 11:15 PM
what's wrong with showing off "sculpted manliness"? some ppl work hard for their physique.

nhat8121
06-09-2009, 08:28 AM
nothing, it's cool to show off.

royer
06-09-2009, 09:51 AM
Be married? Yes. Be partners? No....

LOL!:)

Married couple + mixed partners = DIVORCE!

JavierLW
06-09-2009, 10:01 AM
what's wrong with showing off "sculpted manliness"? some ppl work hard for their physique.

I think the funny irony of it though is that shirtless and pocketless are not especially associated with the supposed big shot tennis player.

A REAL big shot tennis player will at least have pockets.

As far as giving advice though that goes within reason. If you're playing doubles and you're playing with someone who completely doesnt know where to stand, what shots to hit, etc...., you're liable to say something. (this happens a lot with club players who are otherwise decent tennis players)

If someone's hiding in the alley, Im going to tell them to move over. If they are offended by that, then Im not going to play with them anymore (which is fine for both of us Im sure) Same with people who stand RIGHT on top of the net. How hard is it to move to a normal position on the tennis court?

But I think the difference is I am not trying to be a big shot in telling them these things, we're supposed to be a team and we have to work together to win. It's when it turns into a "tennis lesson" that it becomes a problem.

I once played a match with a guy that I thought was pretty good who was going to be on my 3.5 team the first year and he actually came over and held my hand to show me how to hold my tennis racquet in the middle of the match.

The guy turned out to be a complete idiot and luckily I was able to get rid of him because he "threatened" to leave to another team if I didn't promise him he'd get a shot at singles. (I told him to go ahead, he called back the next week and claimed he was bluffing and I told him it was too late because I found someone else)

subaru3169
06-09-2009, 11:27 AM
where has all the etiquette gone?? how do you play tennis with no pockets?? expecting your partner to hold the second ball everytime is kinda dumb.. and no shirt at the recreational level screams powertool

beernutz
06-09-2009, 11:42 AM
where has all the etiquette gone?? how do you play tennis with no pockets?? expecting your partner to hold the second ball everytime is kinda dumb.. and no shirt at the recreational level screams powertool

In 40 years of playing tennis I've never had a partner ask me to hold the extra ball. If one did, I'd have no problem whatsoever suggesting to them in a semi-humorous way an alternative location for ball placement.

subaru3169
06-09-2009, 11:56 AM
In 40 years of playing tennis I've never had a partner ask me to hold the extra ball. If one did, I'd have no problem whatsoever suggesting to them in a semi-humorous way an alternative location for ball placement.

:lol: :lol:

exactly what i was thinking.. that's the thing, i've never encountered anyone to ask me that either in my time on the courts.. and then i read this on the forum and i'm flabbergasted

Cindysphinx
06-09-2009, 12:16 PM

Really? I don't like holding more than one ball. Having two balls shoved up your skirt just isn't comfortable. I worry constantly that one will fall out or, um, migrate.

And I don't like the look of having one on each hip. I don't have a lot of slack in my skirts, shall we say?

dividi
06-09-2009, 12:16 PM
I'm a 4.5 player who's had some formal coaching.

I had a stubborn 3.0 friend with whom I tried to convince to keep the ball in play instead of taking huge swings and reckless flat serves. I got frustrated a number of times when he tried to debate technique and strategy. One of his arguments was that second serves that go in as opposed to flat serves that land 10ft out are weak and that there's no point hitting a weak shot. He couldn't stand being wrong so he would say I take the game too seriously and that he was a recreational player.

My point is that it's better to play with people who are on the same page as you. I would say just communicate better, but some people are too stupid for that.

Last I checked, my friend was taking beginner tennis class at community college trying to get better.

subaru3169
06-09-2009, 12:25 PM
Really? I don't like holding more than one ball. Having two balls shoved up your skirt just isn't comfortable. I worry constantly that one will fall out or, um, migrate.

And I don't like the look of having one on each hip. I don't have a lot of slack in my skirts, shall we say?

when my friends and i play actual sets, the server will always have two balls<HARRR>.. however, there will be 3 balls to play from and the server's partner usually holds the 3rd ball.. i kinda thought that was the norm

JavierLW
06-09-2009, 01:14 PM
when my friends and i play actual sets, the server will always have two balls<HARRR>.. however, there will be 3 balls to play from and the server's partner usually holds the 3rd ball.. i kinda thought that was the norm

Are you a guy or a girl?

I have no idea if skirts are supposed to have pockets or what....

But let's just say in MEN's tennis you're wearing shorts (HOPEFULLY!), and it ought to have pockets.

(although Ive played mixed, and I dont remember anyone ever asking their partner to hold the second ball for them, that would be weird and time consuming, but not all women wear skirts either, this isnt the 1920's....)

Cindysphinx
06-09-2009, 01:19 PM
Are you a guy or a girl?

No, no pockets. Just compression shorts if she is wearing a skirt. Chivalry dictates that you hold one ball when she is serving, as a proper gentleman doesn't wish his lady friend to look excessively lumpy.

Some women will ask for the third ball, but this is rare in my experience.

subaru3169
06-09-2009, 01:32 PM
Are you a guy or a girl?

But let's just say in MEN's tennis you're wearing shorts (HOPEFULLY!), and it ought to have pockets.

(although Ive played mixed, and I dont remember anyone ever asking their partner to hold the second ball for them, that would be weird and time consuming, but not all women wear skirts either, this isnt the 1920's....)

i am a male, so i always wear shorts<or pants if it's cold> with pockets

the women i play with just shove the second ball up their skirt and their partner would pocket the third

Steady Eddy
06-09-2009, 01:51 PM
how do you play tennis with no pockets?? expecting your partner to hold the second ball everytime is kinda dumb
Back in the days before the two-handed backhand became popular, players didn't need pockets. Your pinky and ring finger hold the second ball, and you can still make a good toss with your thumb and other fingers. I've often seen pictures of guys like Newcomb and Laver holding the second ball even when playing in slam events! A good player shouldn't need pockets, a really good player doesn't even need the second ball, 'cause he can put the first serve in at will. Does everybody here have a two-handed backhand?

beernutz
06-09-2009, 02:07 PM
Back in the days before the two-handed backhand became popular, players didn't need pockets. Your pinky and ring finger hold the second ball, and you can still make a good toss with your thumb and other fingers. I've often seen pictures of guys like Newcomb and Laver holding the second ball even when playing in slam events! A good player shouldn't need pockets, a really good player doesn't even need the second ball, 'cause he can put the first serve in at will. Does everybody here have a two-handed backhand?

I don't use a 2HBH but when I do a one-handed backhand I like to use my off hand as part of the take-back process and that's harder to do if it has a ball in it.

Steady Eddy
06-09-2009, 02:24 PM
I don't use a 2HBH but when I do a one-handed backhand I like to use my off hand as part of the take-back process and that's harder to do if it has a ball in it.With that technique, you'll never be able to play tennis naked.

subaru3169
06-09-2009, 02:50 PM
With that technique, you'll never be able to play tennis naked.

lol well i don't think men would like playing naked anyway with thier willywag flopping around

Cindysphinx
06-09-2009, 04:23 PM
I've always wondered what guys do to keep their willywang from flopping around. Is a pair of briefs enough?

Oh, wow. I've really wandered off-topic, huh? :)

subaru3169
06-09-2009, 04:27 PM
i play fine in boxers, thank you very much hahaha

Xisbum
06-09-2009, 04:29 PM
Giving unsolicited advice seems to come more often from older players. Will I get this way when I get old? I hope not. Also old guys like to talk and don't take any hints that they're boring. I really hope I don't develop that habit either. I wouldn't be in a hurry to say yes when this guys asks you to play.

I'm an older player, and the only time I give advice is when my partner asks for it. I expect the same courtesy in return, especially from you "younger" players. :)

subaru3169
06-09-2009, 04:53 PM
I'm an older player, and the only time I give advice is when my partner asks for it. I expect the same courtesy in return, especially from you "younger" players. :)

i think it may depend in certain situations.. i'll give you one example

one person i play with<for doubles> is a gentleman in his 40s and he isn't quite that good, especially during match play.. whenever we play a match, he always tries to make these weird drop shots and we lose many crucial points which cost us the game.. ultimately, he gets frustrated for making shots like those and other shots that are similar.. so after losing so many points from his unforced errors, i had to tell him to quit making those things as they're low percentage shots.. even HE gets upset at himself for doing it, hello?? quit doing that stuff

i don't mind losing, but i'm not improving or even feel it's worth playing with such poor shot selection.. i don't want to lose because of someone's intentional crap shots, i'd rather lose because i was outplayed

Cindysphinx
06-09-2009, 05:12 PM
i think it may depend in certain situations.. i'll give you one example

one person i play with<for doubles> is a gentleman in his 40s and he isn't quite that good, especially during match play.. whenever we play a match, he always tries to make these weird drop shots and we lose many crucial points which cost us the game.. ultimately, he gets frustrated for making shots like those and other shots that are similar.. so after losing so many points from his unforced errors, i had to tell him to quit making those things as they're low percentage shots.. even HE gets upset at himself for doing it, hello?? quit doing that stuff

i don't mind losing, but i'm not improving or even feel it's worth playing with such poor shot selection.. i don't want to lose because of someone's intentional crap shots, i'd rather lose because i was outplayed

Ho boy. Losing because of a Partner's Intentional Crap Shots. Yuck.

I can understand if someone just can't reach a ball, or can't hit the shot they want, or is just having an off day. And some bad shots have some benefit even if you miss (lobbing net players, keeping a poacher honest by going down the line).

Insane Shot Selection for the sake of it, though? That's just deflating.

I had a recent match in which my partner was really struggling. It just wasn't her day. She started to turn things around in the second set.

So opponents hit her a high-bouncing ball in the ad court, while she is in no-man's land (on her way to the net, maybe?). She chooses to bounce it, which is fine. She executes some nice footwork to get back and around this ball and get it into her strike zone for a FH. I'm expecting her to blast it.

And then she tries a FH drop shot. On game point. On a high ball. From a deep position. Against an aggressive net player. It bounced in her own service box. Doh!! :)

I used to play with a lady who was so in love with her drop shot that she would drop shot when opponents were both at net. Whoa, Nelly!

nhat8121
06-09-2009, 06:05 PM
occasional advices are cool with me...but when they start telling me what to hit and where to hit, it just annoy me so much. It literally sucks the energy out of me, I just play worse and worse, we lose and I don't even care...it's just bad, bad, bad all around.

Vermillion
06-09-2009, 06:11 PM
So the verdict is in?

If you have a sculpted body, it's cool to play with your shirt off, but you MUST have pockets.

Correct?

nhat8121
06-09-2009, 06:34 PM
I don't find it cool at all...to show off. Unless, it's hot and you feel better playing shirtless. Frankly, I don't care if one wants to show off if that's how they like it.

You either need to have pockets or find a way to keep the 2nd ball when you serve. I can hold the 3rd ball, in case of a let or something, but not every time you miss your 1st serve.

Steady Eddy
06-09-2009, 08:25 PM
I've always wondered what guys do to keep their willywang from flopping around. Is a pair of briefs enough?
I use duct tape.
Oh, wow. I've really wandered off-topic, huh? :)
Yeah, this should be in the instruction section.

beernutz
06-09-2009, 11:41 PM
With that technique, you'll never be able to play tennis naked.

I understand. Sorry about that ya'll.

Xisbum
06-10-2009, 03:22 AM

Well, if a partner does nothing but try bone-head shots at inopportune times and doesn't ask for my help, then he/she won't be a partner for very long. I try to avoid people who make tennis anything less than fun, but I don't presume to know more about their game than they do. I can only tell them - if they ask - what works for me and what I think might work for them (and us as a team). If they don't ask, I either find another partner or play singles.

Even in doubles, tennis is ultimately an individual game, at least to me. The best doubles teams are those with partners willing to blend their individual skills to produce a stronger pair. If the other partner isn't fulfilling his/her part of the team contract - which includes frequent communication between partners - then it's just two people playing singles. In those cases, I would just rather play regular singles, with no one to disappoint but me.

Just my opinion, of course. I'm no tennis genius, just an old guy who's seen a lot in my day. :)

subaru3169
06-10-2009, 11:50 AM
i see.. i too would much rather play singles, but i only play doubles since most ppl i know now who play are into doubles and there aren't enough courts anyway.. so what i do is to just practice my shots.. but with that particular person as my partner, i can't do that if he keeps screwing it up

ugh.. frustrated younger gentleman, i am=p

sureshs
06-10-2009, 12:48 PM

Not for Nadal. That is why he wears undies too small for him.

sureshs
06-10-2009, 12:50 PM
Giving a little bit of advice is OK in a league match where players are expected to be serious and respect their partner's seriousness. But IMO this does not apply in casual play with round robin partners. Got to deal with whoever happens to be your partner.

PushyPushster
06-10-2009, 12:56 PM

Well, sure. Show off that sculpted manliness ... at a singles bar or something. Not sure what the intent is while playing mens doubles, though.

In 40 years of playing tennis I've never had a partner ask me to hold the extra ball.

Perhaps the fellow normally affixes it to his nipple ring. That could be the reason for his lack of a shirt ...

kevsaenz
06-10-2009, 04:26 PM
occasional advices are cool with me...but when they start telling me what to hit and where to hit, it just annoy me so much. It literally sucks the energy out of me, I just play worse and worse, we lose and I don't even care...it's just bad, bad, bad all around.

I don't see anything wrong with this, when I play doubles me and my partner are constantly telling each other to try a certain shot or where to put it (lol). If a player has a weak shot or is doing bad against a certain shot why not tell your partner about it.

nhat8121
06-10-2009, 04:56 PM
I suppose you're a very good player that can just place the ball anywhere you want. I'm nowhere at that level to be able to pull something like that. Plus, it's not like the guy can do everything with the ball either.

Also, you and your partner probably are on the same level mentally and have an understanding...so, it's cool with you guys.

Cindysphinx
06-10-2009, 05:42 PM
I suppose you're a very good player that can just place the ball anywhere you want. I'm nowhere at that level to be able to pull something like that. Plus, it's not like the guy can do everything with the ball either.

I understand what you are saying. I have one partner who seems to think I am a short-order cook: "Hit it to the deep player's BH so she can't run around it!" "Body-serve her!" "Hit your return really short because she's slow!" "Move her around!"

Honey, I can't do all of these things. My groundstrokes have two gears: crosscourt and DTL. That's it. All these requests for special stuff is beyond my capability. Can I just focus on driving my groundstrokes, please, so we don't lose *again*?

120mphBodyServe
06-13-2009, 03:41 AM
I understand what you are saying. I have one partner who seems to think I am a short-order cook: "Hit it to the deep player's BH so she can't run around it!" "Body-serve her!" "Hit your return really short because she's slow!" "Move her around!"

Honey, I can't do all of these things. My groundstrokes have two gears: crosscourt and DTL. That's it. All these requests for special stuff is beyond my capability. Can I just focus on driving my groundstrokes, please, so we don't lose *again*?

There are these things called HANDS..
Learn how to use them.
Nothing is beyond your capability if you dont try...
Work on that touch game...
GRR.

Cindysphinx
06-13-2009, 06:12 AM
There are these things called HANDS..
Learn how to use them.
Nothing is beyond your capability if you dont try...
Work on that touch game...
GRR.

Maybe this partner should show me how it's done. Oh, wait. She can't do any of these things either. And we're losing because of *her* mistakes, not mine.

: huge longsuffering eye roll:

120mphBodyServe
06-14-2009, 01:57 AM
Maybe this partner should show me how it's done. Oh, wait. She can't do any of these things either. And we're losing because of *her* mistakes, not mine.

: huge longsuffering eye roll:

Experiment during practise.. *sigh*
Watch some videos of McEnroe perhaps?