PDA

View Full Version : List your top 10 of favourites to win Wimbledon 2009

joeri888
06-08-2009, 02:27 AM
Which do you think is most likely to win it, top 10 please..

I'll start:

1. Federer (momentum, nadal injured)
2. Nadal
3. Murray
4. Djokovic
5. Roddick
6. Tsonga
7. Del Potro
8. Verdasco
9. Karlovic
10. Soderling

thalivest
06-08-2009, 02:34 AM
1. Federer
2. Nadal
-----big gap----
3. Murray
-----big gap----
4. Tsonga
5. Roddick
6. Djokovic
-----big gap----
7. Soderling
8. Gonzalez
9. Verdasco
10. Del Potro

Basically if Nadal withdraws Roger has it in the bag with Murray having an outside shot. Tsonga could beat anyone but probably couldnt win 7 matches. Roddick has a shot if he avoids all of Federer, Nadal, or Murray by some miracle. If Nadal is reasonably healthy it should be a Federer-Nadal final with Federer the slight favorite.

smO
06-08-2009, 02:34 AM
Top 5:
1. Federer
2. Nadal
3. Del Potro
4. Söderling
5. Djokovic

vegeta SSJ4
06-08-2009, 02:36 AM
top 5

federer
nadal
djokovic

thalivest
06-08-2009, 02:38 AM
Top 5:
1. Federer
2. Nadal
3. Del Potro
4. Söderling
5. Djokovic

Del Potro 3rd!? What he has ever shown on grass up to now.

Anyway now for the women:

1. Venus
2. Serena
3. Sharapova
----big gap----
4. Kuznetsova
5. Azarenka
----big gap----
6. Safina
7. Petrova
8. Ivanovic
9. Wozniacki
10. Dementieva

I hope Sharapova is back to her best and somehow plays out of her mind tennis like 2004 in the semis and finals and wins it. The Williams are getting off too easy in collecting slams vs this weak field, and no place more than at Wimbledon where hardly any of the current top players can even play worth a damn.

Cesc Fabregas
06-08-2009, 02:41 AM
1. Federer
2. Nadal
-----big gap----
3. Murray
-----big gap----
4. Tsonga
5. Roddick
6. Djokovic
-----big gap----
7. Soderling
8. Gonzalez
9. Verdasco
10. Del Potro

Basically if Nadal withdraws Roger has it in the bag with Murray having an outside shot. Tsonga could beat anyone but probably couldnt win 7 matches. Roddick has a shot if he avoids all of Federer, Nadal, or Murray by some miracle. If Nadal is reasonably healthy it should be a Federer-Nadal final with Federer the slight favorite.

How are Tsonga and Roddick ahead of Djoker? Djoker is much more likely to win than them 2 especially Tsonga who has never done squat at the slams apart from his Australian run.

thalivest
06-08-2009, 02:43 AM
How are Tsonga and Roddick ahead of Djoker? Djoker is much more likely to win than them 2 especially Tsonga who has never done squat at the slams apart from his Australian run.

Roddick has alot of credentials on grass- 2 Wimbledon finals and another semi, 4 Queens titles. He has underperformed at the last few Wimbledons but I am not prepared to write him off on grass yet. IMO he is definitely a better grass court player than Djokovic. Djokovic has a Wimbledon semis and a Queens final. However to reach his semis of Wimbledon he took 5 sets to beat Baghdatis and a way past his prime Hewitt. As for Tsonga he owns Djokovic, and his explosive game could be lethal on grass if he puts it together somehow. I could see him upsetting Federer or Nadal at Wimbledon more easily than Djokovic. I would be extremely surprised to see Djokovic win Wimbledon, even moreso than Roddick or Tsonga who would also surprise me quite a bit if they did.

Cesc Fabregas
06-08-2009, 02:48 AM
1.Federer
2.Nadal
3.Murray
4.Djokovic
5.Roddick
6.Tsonga
7.Verdasco
8.Nobody else worth mentioning so Hewitt

thalivest
06-08-2009, 02:50 AM
I wonder how much Murray has improved on grass since last year. My ranking of him was partialy a random guess as I am trying to translate his enormous improvement since a year ago on hard courts and clay to grass where he is inferior to hard courts and superior to clay. I also wonder how he will deal with the British hype machine, which already goes way overboard on him considering he hasnt even won a slam yet.

Cesc Fabregas
06-08-2009, 02:52 AM
I wonder how much Murray has improved on grass since last year. My ranking of him was partialy a random guess as I am trying to translate his enormous improvement since a year ago on hard courts and clay to grass where he is inferior to hard courts and superior to clay. I also wonder how he will deal with the British hype machine, which already goes way overboard on him considering he hasnt even won a slam yet.

The hype will be massive anyway grass is the least rewarding surface for defence so if he goes into his "pusher" mode he can be taken out by an agressive hitter like Tsonga or Verdasco.

sh@de
06-08-2009, 03:08 AM
1. Fed (given Nadal's current injury)
2. Nadal (if he isn't injured... I'd rank him and Fed at the same spot)
3. Murray
4. Djoker

To be honest, I think that's it. I really can't see anybody else having much of a chance against these guys. I mean, like the FO, even if three lose, the last one's gonna be a toughie to beat. If I had to choose a couple more though...

Tsonga
Verdasco
Roddick

Seriously, I don't think those three have much of a chance. The top 4 combined might as well have a 100% chance of winning...

vtmike
06-08-2009, 03:16 AM
delete post

MethodTennis
06-08-2009, 03:31 AM
1. Federer
2. Murray
3. Nadal
4. Roddick
5. Del Portro
6. Djockovic
7. Davydenko
8. Verdasco
9. Nalbandian
10. Simon

navratilovafan
06-08-2009, 03:37 AM
Davydenko is hopeless on grass. He will only make the round of 16 if he has a dream draw. Nalbandian is almost as hopeless on grass despite his fluke final in 2002, the world mens Wimbledon ever.

MethodTennis
06-08-2009, 03:38 AM
Del Potro 3rd!? What he has ever shown on grass up to now.

Anyway now for the women:

1. Venus
2. Serena
3. Sharapova
----big gap----
4. Kuznetsova
5. Azarenka
----big gap----
6. Safina
7. Petrova
8. Ivanovic
9. Wozniacki
10. Dementieva

I hope Sharapova is back to her best and somehow plays out of her mind tennis like 2004 in the semis and finals and wins it. The Williams are getting off too easy in collecting slams vs this weak field, and no place more than at Wimbledon where hardly any of the current top players can even play worth a damn.

your kidin me right safin at 6 shes lost 2 matches since she went no1 both to Kuznetsova

1=. Venus
Serena
Safina
4=. Kuznetsova
Ivanovic
6. Dementieva
7. Petrova
8. Wozniacki
9. Mauresmo
10. Bartoli

My darkhorse if she can find form: Sharapova

MethodTennis
06-08-2009, 03:41 AM
Davydenko is hopeless on grass. He will only make the round of 16 if he has a dream draw. Nalbandian is almost as hopeless on grass despite his fluke final in 2002, the world mens Wimbledon ever.

he might not be very good on grass but you mentioned the fluke final what could stop that from happening again

navratilovafan
06-08-2009, 03:44 AM
he might not be very good on grass but you mentioned the fluke final what could stop that from happening again

The fact the real Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, Murray, 20-something Roddick, and others didnt even exist back then and there is no way he is going to be so blessed to play Lapentti in the quarters (still took 5 sets), and an ill choking Malisse in the semis (again still took 5 sets). As I mentioned 2002 was probably the worst mens Wimbledon in history. Hewitt winning Wimbledon is one thing but winning the final by losing only 5 games, and getting his toughest match of the tournament to Scheng Schalken.

MethodTennis
06-08-2009, 03:45 AM
gonna bash my womens 10 now

navratilovafan
06-08-2009, 03:46 AM
Well Safina sure as heck is not up there that high. She has done squat on grass, and if she plays a Williams or Sharapova, or anyone in a final she will freeze and meltdown completely.

MethodTennis
06-08-2009, 03:49 AM
lol lets she your 2 top tens then

batz
06-08-2009, 03:50 AM
Ladbrokes have:

Roger at 11/10
Rafa at 3/1
Murray at 3/1
Novak at 7/1
12/1 bar

I make that about right, with Rafa's odds being lower if he hadn't pulled out of Queen's with his knee problem.

MethodTennis
06-08-2009, 03:51 AM
what about roddicks odds

crawl4
06-08-2009, 03:57 AM
hmm

1. Federer
2. Nadal
3. Roddick
4. Djokovic
5. Murray: I think out of 3-5, murray has the best chance to cause an upset against nadal or fed (because of the crowd and his record against them) but against djoker/roddick I think he would lose.

JohnS
06-08-2009, 04:09 AM
1. Federer
2. Murray
--- Very Large Curve---

3. Nadal (b/c of injury)
--- Large Curve ---

4. Roddick
... Lopez, F
6. Djokovic
--- Medium Curve ---

7. Haas
... Wawrinka
... Verdasco
10. Ancic

JohnS
06-08-2009, 04:19 AM
Women's
1. Venus
2. Serena
... Sharapova
9. Henin
10. Graf

(it doesnt matter after Sharapova)

batz
06-08-2009, 04:21 AM
what about roddicks odds

12/1 bar means you'll get at least 12/1 for anyone else not named in the list. I suspect you'll be able to get as much as 25/1 for ARod on the exchanges.

cheers.

Turning Pro
06-08-2009, 04:29 AM
Federer
Nadal
Murray
Roddick
Djokovic
Hewitt

You won't see a winner besides any of them.

MethodTennis
06-08-2009, 04:30 AM
Federer
Nadal
Murray
Roddick
Djokovic
Hewitt

You won't see a winner besides any of them.

your kidding me with hewitt

Turning Pro
06-08-2009, 04:37 AM
He's still one of the leading threats at Wimby besides the top 4. 4 time Queens champion, Has a good record at Wimby. Olny Federer has been able to stop him the last few years. Just be patient and see this unfolds in the next few weeks.

MethodTennis
06-08-2009, 04:45 AM
He's still one of the leading threats at Wimby besides the top 4. 4 time Queens champion, Has a good record at Wimby. Olny Federer has been able to stop him the last few years. Just be patient and see this unfolds in the next few weeks.

i think he's a threat to take out big names but cant see him firing off 7 wins in a row against the best in the world at this stage of his carear

Turning Pro
06-08-2009, 06:13 AM
^Which is why he's 6th on that list. If any of the other 5 fall off (unlikely) then he'll be there to take the baton. He's a dark horse more than anything.

grafselesfan
06-08-2009, 06:15 AM
Hewitt in the top 6!?!?! You must be a bigtime Hewitt fanboy.

DoubleDeuce
06-08-2009, 06:17 AM
Roger
Murray
Nadal
Del Potro

Gorecki
06-08-2009, 06:24 AM
1 - Safin
2 - Nalbandian
3 - Nalbandian
4 - Safin
5 - Safina
6 - The cool Aid guy
7 - Roger............................................. ................. Rabbit
8 - Rafael - Spanish Singer (sung the world famous anthem "Yo Soy Aquel")
9 - Safin
10 - Nalbandian

J\K

OTMPut
06-08-2009, 06:26 AM
1. R. Federer
2. A. Roddick
3. M. Ancic
4. I. Karlovic
5. A. Murray

Dutch-Guy
06-08-2009, 06:36 AM
Nadal
...gap...

Djokovic
Safin
Gonzalez

satishnadal
06-08-2009, 07:23 AM
nadal
murray
djokovic
delpotro
tsonga

no federer in top 5 he will not reach semis

Qubax
06-08-2009, 07:41 AM
Federer - Odds on Favorite
Nadal - He's gotta be healthy, plus now Roger believes he can win
----------
Murray - He's a distant 3rd, but certainly has the next best shot after 1,2
---------
Del Potro - He is slightly above Novak for Wimby but they are close
Djokovic - Above A-Rod, cuz WAY more game, much more recent Major AO 08
---------
Roddick - Fitness, Nutrition, Heart of a Champion, Huge Serve. He's got an outside chance if he doesn't face one of the very top guys.
---------
Gonzalez - Similar to Andy, probably a few more weapons but less intangibles
Tsonga - I worry about his big match mentality. But very dangerous otherwise
Soderling - Momentum, and a surface that should stylistically favor his game.
--------
Cilic - Big game, but everything would have to go right for him, potential cinderalla run but would need a miracle.
Berdych - Great tools, questionable tool box. If the Stars align he could find himself in a Quarter then you never know.
Verdasco - Hard hitting lefties can always be a handful if they are on, and we know he is in excellent physical condition.