PDA

View Full Version : Why Tennis Is The Greatest Game

Beacon Hill
06-08-2009, 07:28 AM
When you are winning, you can't run out the clock, play prevent defense, or a neutral zone trap. You have to start a new game at 0-0, win it, and then do it again, and again.

When you are mentally and physically depleted, you have to rely on your own abilities, your own instincts, and your own game plan. No one is beside you to calm you down, rev you up, point out your tactical flaws, confirm your strengths, or give you advice on how to exploit your opponent's weaknesses.

Speed, power and aggressiveness is a recipe for tennis success. Counter attacking, precision, and patience is a recipe for tennis success.

Once a player becomes the best in the world, a generation of of young tennis players try to copy his style. And every time, number 1 is eventually unseated by a rising star who ignores convention and wins with a new game that has little resemblance to what preceded it.

Tennis is the greatest game.

joeri888
06-08-2009, 07:31 AM
Totally agree that the way scorelines are in tennis is just brilliant. I sometimes hate it, like when Fed was up 6-1 7-6 5-4 and suddenly found himself down 30-40 but it's really great

lawrence
06-08-2009, 07:41 AM
great post, and i agree 100%

teamwork is good, but tennis is sheer skill.

SempreSami
06-08-2009, 07:56 AM
I disagree wholeheartedly.

SempreSami
06-08-2009, 07:57 AM

scineram
06-08-2009, 08:03 AM
Amen!!!!!!

Beacon Hill
06-08-2009, 08:26 AM
I'm glad you posted twice. It was hard to understand your well-reasoned argument with just one reading.

Dgpsx7
06-08-2009, 08:33 AM
I would have to agree, tennis is the greatest game. I can't thing of anything that even comes close.

charliefedererer
06-08-2009, 11:34 AM
One of the great things about tennis is that it really is a sport that you can PLAY for almost your entire life that provides good exercise and entices you to stay fit and eat healthy.

Chris De Tone
06-08-2009, 11:37 AM
Growing up, I was a basketball player and fan. Tennis was my second choice. Looking back, I wish that I had made it number 1. It is truly the best sport both professionally and recreationally. Don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise.

Kelcher
06-08-2009, 11:46 AM
Some things that come to mind.

*gladiator sport without violence

*one-on-one

*geometry

*physicality

*athleticism

*endurance

*mental strength

*finesse

*strategy

*counter-strategy

*international

*variation of styles and surfaces

*match-ups

*never over until the last point's been played

*balance (both physical and in the scoring system)

P_Agony
06-08-2009, 11:47 AM
Tennis is the GOAT.

Figjam
06-08-2009, 12:01 PM
Most Fans of tennis, actually PLAY, unlike most other sports.....

You know anyone that plays football??(no, cause they are too fat to make even one run down the field!)

TBobLP
06-08-2009, 12:11 PM

You know anyone that plays football??(no, cause they are too fat to make even one run down the field!)

good point. your average american football fan does nothing but drink and smoke...no athleticism or anything there. and then they pretend to understand the sport....

Beacon Hill
06-08-2009, 03:06 PM

Good point. That is so true.

Kobble
06-08-2009, 03:57 PM
Football sucks, we know that. Tennis is a truly great game.

pound cat
06-08-2009, 04:14 PM
Great sport yes. It's too bad playing or watching this sport live is out of reach for most children and their parents.

It's in the same league as sailing and skiing. Watching on TV is one thing., but actually being able to afford to play or attend a tournament is another.

And this is why most people like hockey, basketball, or soccer. Anyone can do it on one level or another,...an empty street, a hoop, a ball, and away you go.

|
"Pardon me, sir, may I see your membership card for these tennis courts? No?? Goodbye, then"

vid
06-08-2009, 04:47 PM
What I like about tennis is that it's a game of intelligence that requires both power and skill combined to be successful. It's about using skill and coordination to focus your power and strength properly. You could be the tallest guy with the huge muscles and hit a 200mph serve but it won't do you any good if you can't get the tennis ball to bounce in the court.

In other sports it seems you can get away with more by simply being a lot taller and naturally stronger than everybody else without really having much skill. But with tennis how often is it when a guy who's considered very athletic can play so many sports well but then can't hit a tennis ball to save his life.

Tennis is about being efficient and creating opportunities and taking advantage of them. There is nobody to blame but yourself for a mistake.

I like that you have to win by two points from deuce, two points in a tie break or two games in a set. It's about consistency.

Also just the way tournaments are structured. Players are payed based on their performance unlike in a lot of team sports where a player can have one good year sign a huge contract and then coast.

Downsides of tennis? Playing it recreationally isn't too expensive but being a competitive player starting out on tour is when you have to pay for your own coaching and travel expenses (again unlike team sports) can be incredibly costly. In the end the player is responsible for their own progress.

Another one is that tennis isn't the easiest sport to pick up initially. I remember being pretty frustrated at first but once you get the right technique and understand why it works then everything seems to fall into place.

MT319
06-08-2009, 05:02 PM
Ice Hockey is the greatest Man's game based on the fact that it requires the highest collective degree of skill and physical toughness...Tennis i'll give the nod though as the greatest Unisex sport.

tacou
06-08-2009, 05:27 PM
In other sports it seems you can get away with more by simply being a lot taller and naturally stronger than everybody else without really having much skill. But with tennis how often is it when a guy who's considered very athletic can play so many sports well but then can't hit a tennis ball to save his life.

I think you are doing a huge discredit to every other sport. there is no sport where professionals do not have "much skill." the only close thing to that is maybe a baseball outfielder because anyone with coordination/decent athletic ability could do that well, but outfielders are valued offensively and hitting a 90mph curve ball is physically impossible for most human beings.

slick
06-08-2009, 05:38 PM
Ice Hockey is the greatest Man's game based on the fact that it requires the highest collective degree of skill and physical toughness...Tennis i'll give the nod though as the greatest Unisex sport.

Hockey does require great skill and stamina but not greater than tennis.

Tennis trumps hockey on the mental side. The pressure to win in a big game is dissipated and shared in a team sport but is focused like an intense laser beam in tennis.

Tennis is the greatest game. Bar none.

Serendipitous
06-08-2009, 05:53 PM
Tennis is the greatest game.....the intensity.....the players.....the charisma....the atmosphere (especially at Grand Slams)......the tenacity......the athleticism.......the precision......simply amazing.....

Nice thread!

vid
06-08-2009, 05:54 PM
I think you are doing a huge discredit to every other sport. there is no sport where professionals do not have "much skill." the only close thing to that is maybe a baseball outfielder because anyone with coordination/decent athletic ability could do that well, but outfielders are valued offensively and hitting a 90mph curve ball is physically impossible for most human beings.

I was thinking of a football linebacker when mentioning that. Also I think a really tall basketball player has a great advantage over other players. Doesn't need to have much skill to dunk whereas a short guy no matter how skilled can never dunk if he's not tall enough.

Also on the flipside I find there are sports which require a lot of skill but not much athleticism or fitness (ie golf, curling). Or sports where there are players that are too specialized (ie football kicker) or don't even play during the whole game (ie baseball and football).

Serendipitous
06-08-2009, 05:56 PM
^^^^^^^^^

Hi and welcome to the forums!

I hope you have a fun time!

tacou
06-08-2009, 07:34 PM
I was thinking of a football linebacker when mentioning that. Also I think a really tall basketball player has a great advantage over other players. Doesn't need to have much skill to dunk whereas a short guy no matter how skilled can never dunk if he's not tall enough.

Also on the flipside I find there are sports which require a lot of skill but not much athleticism or fitness (ie golf, curling). Or sports where there are players that are too specialized (ie football kicker) or don't even play during the whole game (ie baseball and football).

size is a necessity for an LB but you still need to be able to move, and exceptionally quickly for someone that size, though I won't argue it being anywhere close to the amount of skill needed for tennis.

height obviously helps in basketball but again, you can't just be tall and automatically good at basketball or else you will constantly have the ball stole from you by quicker players. basketball in general requires an understated amount of speed and finesse.

MT319
06-08-2009, 10:34 PM

Tennis trumps hockey on the mental side. The pressure to win in a big game is dissipated and shared in a team sport but is focused like an intense laser beam in tennis.

I’ll preface this with saying I absolutely love tennis as well both from a player and fan perspective..the latter of which even more so than I love hockey but Tennis does not compare to Ice Hockey in terms of requiring greater physical skill or in terms of physical toughness (hence my distinction as “man’s greatest sport”). For starters unlike with most other sports an entire new system of movement needs to be learned (ie; skating) just to even obtain the capacity to move from point A to point B while the vast majority of other sports (including tennis) use basic motor skills as their system of movement which people naturally develop (running, jumping, etc..). Ice skating if your not sure what that entails involves an average 6’1 190 pound individual not only being able to balance while standing on two 1/8 inch pieces of steel, but also being able to effectively stop abruptly, maneuver laterally, and rapidly change directions all while moving at speeds of 15-20 mph…the system of movement alone in Ice Hockey requires an immense degree of skill to perform just in general, nevermind at a professional level, while the system of movement in Tennis is simply an inherent genetic trait. Secondly, from a “mental skill” standpoint to be able to skate while also handling the puck, keeping your head up, and managing to maneuver yourself around five other 6’ 190lb individuals in pursuit who are attempting to strip you of the puck and/or inflict physical blows to you while simultaneously being able to analyze your rapidly changing surroundings to point where you can both make a beneficial tactical play and avoid injury requires an extremely highly level of strategic and mental acuity therefore it’s absolutely ridiculous to state that Tennis “trumps” ice hockey from a mental standpoint. Thirdly while both hockey and tennis require you to play offense and defense simultaneously, Ice hockey has you do this while also being physically contested and interfered with by your opponent thus further increasing the amount of skill it takes to effectively perform these same talents during the actual course of play. Hockey playmaking and tennis point constructing are somewhat similar but ice hockey requires you work with teammates (including compensation for their errors) while tennis (as an individual sport) grants you full autonomy in determining and executing the tactical decisions made during the course of play thus making it easier to achieve a beneficial end result from your solid play…in terms of negative performance tennis awards the opponent for poor play on your behalf, however poor play during ice hockey can cost your team the game should it happen at the wrong time (even if prior to that you played completely flawless) and any string of poor plays would result on your removal from the game altogether (ie; get benched). One untimely mistake can potentially be much more costly in ice hockey than it is in tennis so obviously when coupled with the high degree of skill it takes to perform the game both physically and mentally..particularly in the fast paced, brutal environment your playing in obviously there is a significant amount of pressure that an individual playing in the environment has to deal with…and even more so if your playing the position of goaltender specifically where one inadvertent deflection, fluke bounce, or momentary lapse of judgment can cost your team the entire game no matter how great your individual performance has been prior to that mistake…again there is a significant amount of pressure that both skaters or goaltenders deal with alike within that environment, but just due to the nature of the game itself so its obviously very high pressure situation as well the same way it is in Tennis…so again this whole “mental superiority” assertion is comical. Lastly, I could see if we were talking about baseball or golf where Tennis requires much better overall physical conditioning and stamina, but Ice Hockey also requires a substantial amount of stamina and physical conditioning so that’s not something tennis possesses that ice hockey does not which makes it a moot point. Furthermore “stamina” is simply a component to the physical toughness aspect of the sport and obviously Ice Hockey is far more physically tough overall than Tennis is since Ice Hockey is actually a contact sport while tennis is not…even just for arguments sake if tennis were to require “more stamina” the overall physical toughness aspect of Ice hockey is far greater than that of Tennis. Long story short, Ice Hockey takes the greatest collective amount of mental/physical skill and physical toughness..thats not to insinuate that other sports do not have elements to them that require substantive levels of mental/physical skill or physical toughness since I’m sure they all have their own inherent difficulties (which is what makes them challenging) but I assure you if we’re defining “greatest sport” as sport in which takes the highest collective degree of physical skill, mental skill, and physical toughness then again while I love playing tennis and it certainly has it’s own inherent difficulties like with many other sports however it does not require a greater collective level of physical/mental skill and physical toughness than it takes to play ice hockey…no sport does for that matter (including football, baseball, basketball, tennis, boxing, soccer, rugby, golf etc..)

Annika
06-08-2009, 11:44 PM

That is oh so true. I can have the Tennis Channel running all day and all night at my house. You can keep all the other shows.

I'm 65 and started playing at 26 and on Sunday my husband and myself played 3 full sets. I don't get any extra serves or doubles lines. Never have; never will. So yes it's a lifetime sport. Both my kids play now; how could they not, since both mom and dad play.:)

TBobLP
06-08-2009, 11:56 PM
I’ll preface this with saying I absolutely love tennis as well both from a player and fan perspective..the latter of which even more so than I love hockey but Tennis does not compare to Ice Hockey in terms of requiring greater physical skill or in terms of physical toughness (hence my distinction as “man’s greatest sport”). For starters unlike with most other sports an entire new system of movement needs to be learned (ie; skating) just to even obtain the capacity to move from point A to point B while the vast majority of other sports (including tennis) use basic motor skills as their system of movement which people naturally develop (running, jumping, etc..). Ice skating if your not sure what that entails involves an average 6’1 190 pound individual not only being able to balance while standing on two 1/8 inch pieces of steel, but also being able to effectively stop abruptly, maneuver laterally, and rapidly change directions all while moving at speeds of 15-20 mph…the system of movement alone in Ice Hockey requires an immense degree of skill to perform just in general, nevermind at a professional level, while the system of movement in Tennis is simply an inherent genetic trait. Secondly, from a “mental skill” standpoint to be able to skate while also handling the puck, keeping your head up, and managing to maneuver yourself around five other 6’ 190lb individuals in pursuit who are attempting to strip you of the puck and/or inflict physical blows to you while simultaneously being able to analyze your rapidly changing surroundings to point where you can both make a beneficial tactical play and avoid injury requires an extremely highly level of strategic and mental acuity therefore it’s absolutely ridiculous to state that Tennis “trumps” ice hockey from a mental standpoint. Thirdly while both hockey and tennis require you to play offense and defense simultaneously, Ice hockey has you do this while also being physically contested and interfered with by your opponent thus further increasing the amount of skill it takes to effectively perform these same talents during the actual course of play. Hockey playmaking and tennis point constructing are somewhat similar but ice hockey requires you work with teammates (including compensation for their errors) while tennis (as an individual sport) grants you full autonomy in determining and executing the tactical decisions made during the course of play thus making it easier to achieve a beneficial end result from your solid play…in terms of negative performance tennis awards the opponent for poor play on your behalf, however poor play during ice hockey can cost your team the game should it happen at the wrong time (even if prior to that you played completely flawless) and any string of poor plays would result on your removal from the game altogether (ie; get benched). One untimely mistake can potentially be much more costly in ice hockey than it is in tennis so obviously when coupled with the high degree of skill it takes to perform the game both physically and mentally..particularly in the fast paced, brutal environment your playing in obviously there is a significant amount of pressure that an individual playing in the environment has to deal with…and even more so if your playing the position of goaltender specifically where one inadvertent deflection, fluke bounce, or momentary lapse of judgment can cost your team the entire game no matter how great your individual performance has been prior to that mistake…again there is a significant amount of pressure that both skaters or goaltenders deal with alike within that environment, but just due to the nature of the game itself so its obviously very high pressure situation as well the same way it is in Tennis…so again this whole “mental superiority” assertion is comical. Lastly, I could see if we were talking about baseball or golf where Tennis requires much better overall physical conditioning and stamina, but Ice Hockey also requires a substantial amount of stamina and physical conditioning so that’s not something tennis possesses that ice hockey does not which makes it a moot point. Furthermore “stamina” is simply a component to the physical toughness aspect of the sport and obviously Ice Hockey is far more physically tough overall than Tennis is since Ice Hockey is actually a contact sport while tennis is not…even just for arguments sake if tennis were to require “more stamina” the overall physical toughness aspect of Ice hockey is far greater than that of Tennis. Long story short, Ice Hockey takes the greatest collective amount of mental/physical skill and physical toughness..thats not to insinuate that other sports do not have elements to them that require substantive levels of mental/physical skill or physical toughness since I’m sure they all have their own inherent difficulties (which is what makes them challenging) but I assure you if we’re defining “greatest sport” as sport in which takes the highest collective degree of physical skill, mental skill, and physical toughness then again while I love playing tennis and it certainly has it’s own inherent difficulties like with many other sports however it does not require a greater collective level of physical/mental skill and physical toughness than it takes to play ice hockey…no sport does for that matter (including football, baseball, basketball, tennis, boxing, soccer, rugby, golf etc..)

holy crap man...paragraphs are your friend

TBobLP
06-09-2009, 12:10 AM
Oh yeah, it takes real skill to bash each others' brains out in ice hockey. Also, learn how to write you miserable git.

try playing ice hockey and you'll see just exactly how much skill it takes...actually watch this video and notice that the one guy CAN skate well and is still getting easily toyed with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTC8xnjUqLI

TBobLP
06-09-2009, 12:12 AM

the idea that a big pressure situation in any team sport is shared as in "split up" between all the members so that each one feels only part of the collective pressure is not a very well thought out point. as well, it's tougher for a whole team to come together with a common objective in mind and execute it than it is for one person to do so.

Young Pete
06-09-2009, 12:38 AM

well-written! may i ask what profession youre in? medicine?

vid
06-09-2009, 10:52 AM
I'm a hockey fan too and it's my favorite team sport.

One thing about hockey that's initially difficult is something as simple as keeping your head up while handling, passing or shooting the puck. You need to have a great feel between the puck and your stick blade to be able to do all that without staring down at your feet all the time. Doing that is a dangerous thing since you can get body checked at any time (it hurts more when you don't see the player who's going to body check you). Personally I've never quite been good enough to only quickly glance at my stick while handling the puck but mostly keeping my head up and looking for the pass/shot.

Physical toughness is something hockey does have over some other sports including tennis.

maddogz32
06-09-2009, 10:55 AM
Yeah!!!!!!!!

tacou
06-09-2009, 12:07 PM
Oh yeah, it takes real skill to bash each others' brains out in ice hockey. Also, learn how to write you miserable git.

wow what a terrible post.

MT's post was terribly spaced (it wasn't at all actually) but his points were very insightful, and if you read any of it or if you've every watched hockey you'd know it is much more than "bashing each other's brain out".

I'm not even a hockey fan but a lot of people on these boards think many other sports (hockey, basketball, american football) require no skill. talk about fools.

tacou
06-09-2009, 12:09 PM
Boxing is much more difficult than ice hockey. You Canadians are a bunch of pussies.

Canadians are not the only ones who play hockey, and besides that, how is boxing more difficult? the physical endurance in boxing is insane and you need to be able to take a punch in the face, something that can't really be taught.

still, the skill level for hockey, in my opinion, is a bit higher.

SpEeDyZ
06-09-2009, 12:11 PM
no wonder I hate teamwork games :P

TENNIS ROCKS!~

TBobLP
06-09-2009, 12:12 PM
Boxing is much more difficult than ice hockey. You Canadians are a bunch of pussies.

you're not very bright, are you?

Serendipitous
06-09-2009, 12:15 PM

Ummmmmm.........:shock:

380pistol
06-09-2009, 12:22 PM
When you are winning, you can't run out the clock, play prevent defense, or a neutral zone trap. You have to start a new game at 0-0, win it, and then do it again, and again.

When you are mentally and physically depleted, you have to rely on your own abilities, your own instincts, and your own game plan. No one is beside you to calm you down, rev you up, point out your tactical flaws, confirm your strengths, or give you advice on how to exploit your opponent's weaknesses.

Speed, power and aggressiveness is a recipe for tennis success. Counter attacking, precision, and patience is a recipe for tennis success.

Once a player becomes the best in the world, a generation of of young tennis players try to copy his style. And every time, number 1 is eventually unseated by a rising star who ignores convention and wins with a new game that has little resemblance to what preceded it.

Tennis is the greatest game.

Baseball you can't run out the clock. Tennis you can just hold serve and play for a breaker or one break, like teams who get a goal or two, and play the neutral zone trap.

In boxing, who do you rely on??? Your trainers.

Speed power and agressivenes is a recipe for success in a lot of sports.
Counter attacking, precision, and patience is a recipe for success in a lot of sports.

In everysport in someone or one team is successful at something, many that follow will try and emulate.

The one thing I love about tennis is no on court or in match coaching. Such a beautiful thing.

TBobLP
06-09-2009, 12:43 PM
I may not be bright, but at least I am not a miserable git like yourself! And anyways, Americans in general are not very bright, so I fit right in!

so im a miserable git, americans arent bright and canadians are pussies? any other pearls of wisdom?

chess9
06-09-2009, 03:12 PM
Tennis is a wonderful sport, but trying to compare the relative merits of different sports is, erm, unsportsmanlike. The beauty of sport is in the LOVE of the game, not the result, not how high your testosterone level rises, or whether you are a brute or whiner.

The least skilled amongst us may love his tennis more than Federer or Nadal.

When I was 10 years old playing Little League Baseball I was certain that God was in heaven and all was right with the world.

The first time I finished a 40K Time Trial I thought "Isn't bike racing just the greatest sport imaginable?"

It's all about the atavistic need for and appreciation of MOVEMENT.

-Robert

Beacon Hill
06-09-2009, 08:53 PM
There is no doubt that hockey players are skilled. What has made me stop watching the game is that there is such limited control of the puck. One team rarely has possession of the puck for more than a few seconds, and most goals are now garbage goals rather than the result of accurate, crisp passes or stellar one on one moves. Dump and chase has ruined the game. Also the chippiness and general conduct of most of the players leaves a lot to be desired.

Beacon Hill
06-09-2009, 08:54 PM
Baseball you can't run out the clock. Tennis you can just hold serve and play for a breaker or one break, like teams who get a goal or two, and play the neutral zone trap.

In boxing, who do you rely on??? Your trainers.

Speed power and agressivenes is a recipe for success in a lot of sports.
Counter attacking, precision, and patience is a recipe for success in a lot of sports.

In everysport in someone or one team is successful at something, many that follow will try and emulate.

The one thing I love about tennis is no on court or in match coaching. Such a beautiful thing.
No clock in baseball, but the scoring is still very traditional.

gpt
06-09-2009, 09:04 PM
i tell my sons to play tennis because you wont get to know many girls by playing football

tacou
06-09-2009, 09:34 PM
haha ..