PDA

View Full Version : Murray and Djokovic have nothing on Nadal and Federer...

GasquetGOAT
06-08-2009, 08:29 AM
With all the talks of how tennis is entering a new era where Murray and Djokovic are supposedly rising to the challenge of breaking the monopoly/dominance set by Federer and Nadal ever since 2005, nothing has really changed all that much. Nadal and Federer have once again won the first two majors of 2009. Where was Murray and Djokovic? None of these "future number 1s" has even reached the semifinals of either slams...I'm not sure if the depth of field is weak or maybe Nadal and Federer are just too good...

user92626
06-08-2009, 09:54 AM
That's why I've started to get off the bandwagons of Murray and Djo. These guys are all talks and no delivery, and I'm not talking about them must winning a gs but at least pull a decent run and convincing matches.

The more I am disappointed in Murray and Djo, the more I admire Fed and Nadal, inevitably. Fed and Nadal are true champs w/ their consistent brilliance. Their talents have to be innate for them to pull this kind of consistence.

kraggy
06-08-2009, 09:55 AM
I think they both arguably have hotter girlfriends and better backhands than Nadal and Fed :D

user92626
06-08-2009, 10:18 AM
Yeah life is full of tough choices for those guys to make. A GS or a hot gf.

GasquetGOAT
06-08-2009, 01:27 PM
That's why I've started to get off the bandwagons of Murray and Djo. These guys are all talks and no delivery, and I'm not talking about them must winning a gs but at least pull a decent run and convincing matches.

The more I am disappointed in Murray and Djo, the more I admire Fed and Nadal, inevitably. Fed and Nadal are true champs w/ their consistent brilliance. Their talents have to be innate for them to pull this kind of consistence.

Well said. Murray missed the chance to dig deep in the first two slams now he will have overwhelming pressure at Wimbledon, don't think he can handle it. As for Djokovic, well, he can't do any worse than last year so he might actually go further than Murray.

veroniquem
06-08-2009, 01:32 PM
With all the talks of how tennis is entering a new era where Murray and Djokovic are supposedly rising to the challenge of breaking the monopoly/dominance set by Federer and Nadal ever since 2005, nothing has really changed all that much. Nadal and Federer have once again won the first two majors of 2009. Where was Murray and Djokovic? None of these "future number 1s" has even reached the semifinals of either slams...I'm not sure if the depth of field is weak or maybe Nadal and Federer are just too good...
I cannot answer for Djokovic. His straightforward loss at RG completely mystified me. He had showed some great qualities on clay before. IMO Murray will only be a force on hard courts. But anyway, it's true, surprisingly enough (for me at least), it's still Federer/Nadal in the slams. I wonder how much longer that can last.

veroniquem
06-08-2009, 01:32 PM
[QUOTE=GasquetGOAT;3535047]With all the talks of how tennis is entering a new era where Murray and Djokovic are supposedly rising to the challenge of breaking the monopoly/dominance set by Federer and Nadal ever since 2005, nothing has really changed all that much. Nadal and Federer have once again won the first two majors of 2009. Where was Murray and Djokovic? None of these "future number 1s" has even reached the semifinals of either slams...I'm not sure if the depth of field is weak or maybe Nadal and Federer are just too good...[/QUTE
Edit. Double post.

LanceStern
06-08-2009, 01:51 PM
I think Djokovic and Murray make enough noise in Masters Series and other ATP events. They can whip on Nadal and Federer there (or at least give them the biggest fight).

Murray is still the man to beat on hard courts in 3 setters. Djokovic is a danger always too. They are steady and strong on both wings, and their backhands are the best.

So give them some time and they'll do what they need to do. Until then I'm happy to see Federer and Nadal still be the men to beat at slams

CountryHillbilly
06-09-2009, 01:53 AM
Fed wasn't much at the age of 21, either.

Murray has been doing serious ownership of Fed recently. And I still think Djokovic is better than Nadal on hardcourt and equal or even better than Fed on clay.

They just do bad at slams. They need more experience, fitness, and determination.

BorisBeckerFan
06-09-2009, 02:07 AM
I think they both arguably have hotter girlfriends and better backhands than Nadal and Fed :D

Pete Sampras and Andy Roddick might just be the GOATs when it comes to hot mates.

RFtennis
06-09-2009, 02:12 AM

damn straight

GasquetGOAT
06-09-2009, 07:27 AM
Fed wasn't much at the age of 21, either.

Murray has been doing serious ownership of Fed recently. And I still think Djokovic is better than Nadal on hardcourt and equal or even better than Fed on clay.

They just do bad at slams. They need more experience, fitness, and determination.

I wouldn't say Djokovic is better or equal than Fed on clay, it wasn't Federer's fault that Nadal was in an 4 hour struggle with Djokovic in Madrid. With Nadal's recent form on clay, Federer may very possibly have taken him out in the semis as well had the draw been different. Federer is still better than Djokovic on clay the results speak for themselves.

As for needing more experience, it might hold true for Murray but Djokovic has already been in the semis of all slams during the last couple of seasons, he's got all the experience he needs. Question now is has he got what it takes?

OTMPut
06-09-2009, 07:38 AM
They just do bad at slams.

Thats the only thing that matters.

Fedexeon
06-09-2009, 07:39 AM
Murray did win Miami Masters, so his results are actually not bad.

And his best surface is fast hardcourt and grass... so expect him to have better results in Slams in the coming 2 Grand Slams.

Same with Djokovic, his best surface is fast hardcourt... he would shine during the US Open Series.

tennisdad65
06-09-2009, 07:46 AM
Murray has been improving gradually everytime I see him play. I think Murray will be the guy to get to Nadals/Feds level. Novak seems to have regressed since early 2008.