PDA

View Full Version : Why is Bud Collins such a jerk?

drgnpride
06-08-2009, 08:15 AM
he can't even give props to Federer after his great win , is this still about some interview he couldn't get at Wimbledon? there's nothing more pathetic than a bitter old man.

vtmike
06-08-2009, 08:19 AM
Yeah Peter Bozo (Bodo) & Bud Collins are two guys who seem to be bitter about Fed's win yesterday...They must be after all the hate they have been spewing about him during his slump!

Stinkdyr
06-08-2009, 08:21 AM
I didn't know Pud Collins was still alive. What's your source?

jamesblakefan#1
06-08-2009, 08:22 AM
Because he's old. :)

ATXtennisaddict
06-08-2009, 08:23 AM
I never liked Bud Collins. He needs to retire.

BobFL
06-08-2009, 08:28 AM
Just one old grumpy man. He should be playing golf here in Florida. He is way to old for that job...

Dgpsx7
06-08-2009, 08:39 AM
I didn't know Pud Collins was still alive. What's your source?

lol.........10char.

cknobman
06-08-2009, 08:51 AM
he can't even give props to Federer after his great win , is this still about some interview he couldn't get at Wimbledon? there's nothing more pathetic than a bitter old man.

Did Bud say or do something?

fortunecookiesjc
06-08-2009, 08:54 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp6Y94aBCBU

Frankc
06-08-2009, 08:58 AM
Sorry, Mr. Collins has forgotten more about tennis than all of the other mainstrean commentators know. Yes, his age makes him less attractive to the media channels and he tends to say his mind - and a great deal of knowledge - those are dangerous attributes in today's media.

Oh, yes he is of advanced age - so that may make him irrelevant to many new viewers. A very popular bandwagon, it seems.

If he said one thing that you find objectionable, check out the body of his work before you judge him. This is only my opinion, I know, but i have witnessed the body of his work.

He was there when no one else would bother with tennis...

Chadwixx
06-08-2009, 08:58 AM
He was always obnoxious and looking for attension. He got it.

He knows about the history of the game, but very little on what goes on during a match.

VivalaVida
06-08-2009, 09:02 AM
I dont think he said anything wrong at all. He gave federer props for the victory but says that it is too early to declare fed the GOAT.

charliefedererer
06-08-2009, 09:47 AM
If Bud doesn't like Fed, then why is he on the cover of his book: The Bud Collins History of Tennis: An Authoritative Encyclopedia and Record Book ?
Anyone who can put together a 722 page history of tennis probably knows a thing or two about the sport. And having covered tennis tournaments as a reporter from way before the Open era means he's personally analyzed the greats, and been privileged to conversations we'll never have. So to say Roger is one of the all time greats is no sign of disrespect to Roger, but more one of respect for Budge, Laver, Sampras et al. And didn't he just point out the obvious that Roger has had trouble beating Nadal, and by implication that an all time great would be expected to have a winning record against his chief rival?

ROCKinCourier
06-08-2009, 09:50 AM
Bud Collins is on point, somewhat.

Declaring a GOAT is like asking people what is the best tasting fruit.

jrod
06-08-2009, 09:51 AM
I didn't know Pud Collins was still alive.

How could you tell if he is?

malakas
06-08-2009, 09:53 AM
He's entitled to his opinion.

Purostaff
06-08-2009, 10:11 AM
Bud needs to retire (srs)

Lol @ "Fed can't beat nadal" comment. Hell, nadal can't even reach FO final this year. Not to mention he got owned in the previous tournament..

ATXtennisaddict
06-08-2009, 10:14 AM
I think Bud is an elitist. He's so old he covered the eras of Rod Laver and even Bill Tilden. He wants to play the "old school" card.

Kelcher
06-08-2009, 10:37 AM

Bananas. It's not close.

marc45
06-08-2009, 11:54 AM
all he said was fed's career is not over, nor is nadal's, his main rival, who has a strong record against him

egn
06-08-2009, 11:59 AM
Huh what did he say? He said Fed had tough matches, Fed deserved it, Fed played great, Fed was hitting winners all over the place, Bud doesn't think Fed is the greatest of all time nothing wrong with it. He did say not yet...Bud said he is one of the greatest..gosh no big deal here.

SoCal10s
06-08-2009, 12:01 PM
because he didn't didn't get breast fed when he was a baby,his whole life evolves doing what ever he can do to get attention ... like wearing those stupid clothing to make him look like clown, so people can notice he's still alive...

Annika
06-08-2009, 12:07 PM
Bud has been around forever. He will say anything for attention in my opinion.

beernutz
06-08-2009, 12:12 PM
Huh what did he say? He said Fed had tough matches, Fed deserved it, Fed played great, Fed was hitting winners all over the place, Bud doesn't think Fed is the greatest of all time nothing wrong with it. He did say not yet...Bud said he is one of the greatest..gosh no big deal here.

This. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Bud has his and I have mine and we differ--no big deal. No reason to start badmouthing Bud.

35ft6
06-08-2009, 12:53 PM
If we're talking about that ESPN thing that was linked, that wasn't so bad. I don't like Bud Collins. For a tennis historian/analyst, I've never been that impressed by him, and can't remember him ever saying anything very insightful. Likewise, I'm not a huge fan of Wertheim, and I bet he's going to be even less impressive covering MMA.

Anyway, the whole Nadal thing, I can see why somebody might say it, but in the end, only Grand Slams matter.

grafselesfan
06-08-2009, 12:56 PM
I have no idea what Bud Collins said about anything as I dont even read any of his columns and any broadcasted match with him announcing I either switch to a different station covering the same match or a different match altogether. All I know is he has gone soft in the head with old age as everything he has said since 1992 is ridiculous. Off the top of my head:

-Seles lost the 92 Wimbledon final to Graf only due to not grunting (I am a big fan of both women but what nonsense)

-Agassi volleys are equal to Sampras (in his match preview before 99 Wimbledon final)

-Gambill was supposably one of the top 8 favorites for both the French Open, Wimbledon, and U.S Open in 2001

-Serena and Venus are the two greatest women players ever

-Agassi was going to beat Sampras in the 99 Wimbledon, 2001 U.S Open, 2002 U.S Open finals

-Agassi was going to destroy Medvedev in the 1999 French Open final since he does everything far better

-Agassi was the favorite for the 2001 French Open over Kuerten and Ferrero

-the 2003 U.S Open was Capriati's to win or lose once the Williams were out even with Henin, Clijsters, Davenport all in the draw and all owning her that year head to head

-Hewitt's best days were still ahead of him in early 2004

-Roddick was going to beat Federer in the Wimbledon finals of 2004 and 2005

-Sharapova and Henin are equal in court coverage/mobility (preview of the 2006 U.S Open final)

-Davenport underperformed to lose to Graf in 3 sets on clay in 1999

-Venus losing in 3 sets to Sanchez Vicario at the French Open is a "bad loss"

By that point I decided to tune him out altogether. Regardless what historical significance he is in the game, at this point in his life he is just nuts. I was so glad when NBC finally fired him in mid 2007 only to have ESPN take him on, blech. No matter like I said I avoid him at all costs these days and so would have no idea what he said but based on all he has said since 1992 I dont want to know.

grafselesfan
06-08-2009, 12:59 PM
If we're talking about that ESPN thing that was linked, that wasn't so bad. I don't like Bud Collins. For a tennis historian/analyst, I've never been that impressed by him, and can't remember him ever saying anything very insightful. Likewise, I'm not a huge fan of Wertheim, and I bet he's going to be even less impressive covering MMA.

Anyway, the whole Nadal thing, I can see why somebody might say it, but in the end, only Grand Slams matter.

I think Collins is like what a 40 year old former great tennis player in singles would be like these days. Everyone no matter how great they may have once been gets old, and it is time for everone to realize the time to move on, rather than holding on and making yourself silly. As a broadcaster and analyst he has reached that equivalent point to what a 40 year old forme great would have reached playing singles. Basically imagine Federer playing in 2022, Nadal playing in 2027, and Bud Collins now is the equivalent to that.

BorisBeckerFan
06-08-2009, 01:01 PM
Sorry, Mr. Collins has forgotten more about tennis than all of the other mainstrean commentators know. Yes, his age makes him less attractive to the media channels and he tends to say his mind - and a great deal of knowledge - those are dangerous attributes in today's media.

Oh, yes he is of advanced age - so that may make him irrelevant to many new viewers. A very popular bandwagon, it seems.

If he said one thing that you find objectionable, check out the body of his work before you judge him. This is only my opinion, I know, but i have witnessed the body of his work.

Thank you for bringing some sense into this thread.

vtmike
06-08-2009, 01:05 PM
http://www.wgbhalumni.org/_images/collections/_beach/bud_collins-cleaned-cropped.jpg

http://venterstennis.com/Bud-collins_and_me.jpg

FEDEXP
06-08-2009, 01:51 PM
Bud Collins: the Andy Rooney of tennis.

Datacipher
06-08-2009, 01:55 PM

Absolutely correct. It's unfortunate that so many kids would simply dismiss what he is saying because is does not correspond with their far more ignorant viewpoints. You could learn an astronomical amount from Collins. I often disagree with him, but there is NOBODY in the history of tennis, who has cared as much about the players or had as big a passion for the game as Collins. If his viewpoint differs from yours, you should ask yourself why, and why his vast, vast, experience may lead to a different perspective than yours. Don't be so close-minded, exactly, what you, ironically, accuse Collins of.

tacou
06-08-2009, 02:00 PM
Bud Collins was good in the first Night at the Museum.

35ft6
06-08-2009, 02:02 PM
I think Collins is like what a 40 year old former great tennis player in singles would be like these days. Everyone no matter how great they may have once been gets old, and it is time for everone to realize the time to move on, rather than holding on and making yourself silly. As a broadcaster and analyst he has reached that equivalent point to what a 40 year old forme great would have reached playing singles. Basically imagine Federer playing in 2022, Nadal playing in 2027, and Bud Collins now is the equivalent to that.Not sure if I agree with your analogy since I would think age and experience would lend itself to being a good commentator, but I do think he's living in the past a bit. Overall, he's probably been good for the sport, but for the past several years, he's struck me as being a bitter cook. I can't remember exactly what it was, but years back, I read something about a contract or salary dispute involving him, and so whenever I think he's being bitter, I imagine it's because he feels marginalized. Maybe he feels that he should be the go to commentator for important matches, that he should be considered the undisputed final word in tennis, but he's more of a side show.

Anyway, I've been listening to him for a long time and I just can't remember anything memorable coming out of his mouth. For him, a successful appearance on TV is him stating the obvious, lots of times he just sounds crazy, and I wonder if he wants to set himself apart by being devil's advocate.

Giggs The Red Devil
06-08-2009, 02:02 PM

Federer's a fruit? Enough with that jokes already.

Datacipher
06-08-2009, 02:04 PM
If Bud doesn't like Fed, then why is he on the cover of his book: The Bud Collins History of Tennis: An Authoritative Encyclopedia and Record Book ?
Anyone who can put together a 722 page history of tennis probably knows a thing or two about the sport. And having covered tennis tournaments as a reporter from way before the Open era means he's personally analyzed the greats, and been privileged to conversations we'll never have. So to say Roger is one of the all time greats is no sign of disrespect to Roger, but more one of respect for Budge, Laver, Sampras et al. And didn't he just point out the obvious that Roger has had trouble beating Nadal, and by implication that an all time great would be expected to have a winning record against his chief rival?

Indeed. Bud hasn't just analyzed the greats. Collins is one of the few, in fact ONLY, person of his prominence that I have EVER heard of, who will EXCITEDLY go out of his way to watch journeyman pros with no potential, only to see the games of players he hasn't seen before.

Collins is the type of guy who, if he has spare time, will gladly go watch qualifying matches. Some of the things being said here are just pure, adolescent ignorance at it's finest.

Let me also add, Collins, who constantly refers to himself as a "hacker", also used to play this game better than anybody on this board.

Does Collins always make the right call? Of course not, I have disagreed with him many times, so have many pros (eg. Agassi, who tried to humiliate Collins once on a tennis court...and FAILED), but in the end, almost everyone who really knows tennis, ends up with great respect for Collins, because even though he is extremely candid and sometimes painfully honest, he is sincere and extremely knowledgable.

tlm
06-08-2009, 02:04 PM
You fed lovers are such babys, just because you are in love with your idol does not mean everyone is.Bud stated the facts plain+ simple, but you worshipers are in la la land.

zagor
06-08-2009, 02:07 PM
C'mon Bud Collins isn't a jerk,the guy's a tennis encyclopedia.I enjoyed some of the articles he wrote.

thalivest
06-08-2009, 02:08 PM
Not sure if I agree with your analogy since I would think age and experience would lend itself to being a good commentator, but I do think he's living in the past a bit. Overall, he's probably been good for the sport, but for the past several years, he's struck me as being a bitter cook. I can't remember exactly what it was, but years back, I read something about a contract or salary dispute involving him, and so whenever I think he's being bitter, I imagine it's because he feels marginalized. Maybe he feels that he should be the go to commentator for important matches, that he should be considered the undisputed final word in tennis, but he's more of a side show.

That is what I see him as too these days. Just a side show. He annoys me and nothing he says about the current game or players seems to make sense regardless how much history he knows of the game, so I am glad he is nothing more than that. ESPN is a suitable place for him as everyone employed there is a side show. They balance each other out, basically the Brady Bunch squad of tennis.

thalivest
06-08-2009, 02:10 PM
C'mon Bud Collins isn't a jerk,the guy's a tennis encyclopedia.I enjoyed some of the articles he wrote.

I enjoy reading some of his books. As an analyst or commentator though his gig was up long ago. It was funny after NBC canned him after over a decade in a side role (from what I hear at McEnroe's demand in the mid 90s) he didnt take the hint and is still looking to scalp any minor roles he can find.

aceroberts13
06-08-2009, 02:13 PM
As much as it pains me to say, in his ESPN segment, BC makes a good point about Nadal. In the big occassions he's had the answer more times than Fed.

thalivest
06-08-2009, 02:15 PM
As much as it pains me to say, in his ESPN segment, BC makes a good point about Nadal. In the big occassions he's had the answer more times than Fed.

Well atleast he says one thing I agree with the. :)

zagor
06-08-2009, 02:15 PM
I enjoy reading some of his books. As an analyst or commentator though his gig was up long ago. It was funny after NBC canned him after over a decade in a side role (from what I hear at McEnroe's demand in the mid 90s) he didnt take the hint and is still looking to scalp any minor roles he can find.

I wouldn't know him as comentator(since I'm from Serbia)but I enjoy reading some articles on his website.And he never strikes me as someone who hates Fed or anything like it(even though Fed dissed him at FO in 2007),it's a bit ridiculous to call him a "jerk" for not thinking Fed is GOAT.

thalivest
06-08-2009, 02:18 PM
I wouldn't know him as comentator(since I'm from Serbia)but I enjoy reading some articles on his website.And he never strikes me as someone who hates Fed or anything like it(even though Fed dissed him at FO in 2007),it's a bit ridiculous to call him a "jerk" for not thinking Fed is GOAT.

I havent enjoyed reading his columns he was putting up online for MSNBC since 1999 or so. They have been horrible with ridiculous poorly thought out predictions based more on bias than logic, ridiculous summaries of certain players and their abilities, inflation of players he loves (Williams, Capriati, Seles, Agassi, Roddick) and deflation of players he doesnt care for so much (Graf, Henin, Sharapova, Safin, Federer to a degree).

Claudius
06-08-2009, 02:21 PM
When asked where Federer ranks among the GOAT, back in Australia I believe, he said Federer probably ranks among the top ten.

JennyS
06-08-2009, 04:44 PM

After losing to Nadal in the Australian Open finals, Bud said Roger might never win a Grand Slam again and Nadal would probably beat Pete's record of 14 Slams.

michaelavich
06-08-2009, 06:45 PM
shah-rah-pova.... anyone else but him pronounce it that way? always amusing.

CyBorg
06-08-2009, 06:55 PM
shah-rah-pova.... anyone else but him pronounce it that way? always amusing.

You mean with the accent on the 'rah'?

If that's the case then it's correct - that's the way it's pronounced in Russian.

CEvertFan
06-08-2009, 07:04 PM

I'd have to agree. Bud knows the game probably like no other and has seen it all. He does like to be arbitrary and go his own way rather than with the consensus. His sometimes contentious opinions do stir things up though which I think is his goal. And yes, he was there for tennis when no one was.

Just because he's old doesn't make him irrelevant. Show some respect even if you don't agree with him. I haven't always agreed with him either, but I've always respected him and all he's done for tennis.

drgnpride
06-08-2009, 07:25 PM

uuhh, sorry i'm calling bs on his supposed tennis expertise. Just because someone is old and has been around a long time doesn't make them an authority, and there are crazy and nasty old people just like there are crazy and nasty young people. And his body of work is all style and no substance, always has been , with the wacky outfits and yelling his commentary, listening to him is like nails on a chalkboard. His prejudices against certain players prevents him from giving objective analysis.

CyBorg
06-08-2009, 07:45 PM
uuhh, sorry i'm calling bs on his supposed tennis expertise. Just because someone is old and has been around a long time doesn't make them an authority, and there are crazy and nasty old people just like there are crazy and nasty young people. And his body of work is all style and no substance, always has been , with the wacky outfits and yelling his commentary, listening to him is like nails on a chalkboard. His prejudices against certain players prevents him from giving objective analysis.

You're calling 'bs' on Bud Collins's tennis expertise? Did you do your research?

slicefox
06-08-2009, 08:20 PM
Bud Collins said about 1.5 years ago that if fed wins french and beats sampras' record he will bow down and consider fed the GOAT.

now he pulls the nadal bs

tenis
06-08-2009, 09:32 PM

Did you say jerk??? And who're you???

Look, Mr.Bud Collins knows tennis more than we all together. Too bad some people don't like his unique approach. BTW, I would like to see you when you'll be older!

royer
06-08-2009, 10:08 PM
For what it's worth, I disliked him when he was younger too! I'm sure he's a smart dude and all, but he just irritates me. When I was a kid he used to actually call matches from the booth (not just provide commentary), and I remember disliking his style immensely back then. It's nothing professional with me, it's all personal(ity).

Old, young, or somewhere in-between ... iriitating is irritating.

RCizzle65
06-08-2009, 10:46 PM

This, I don't like other things that come out of his mouth, and I think Fed is the GOAT, but I don't think he said anything out of line in that video posted

Nuke
06-09-2009, 04:39 AM

Authors rarely have any say about what's on the cover of their books. That's the publisher's job.

grafrules
06-09-2009, 04:43 AM
I actually agree with him on this case, well sort of atleast. I think Federer is better than he credits, but I also think Federer is the greatest ever yet. I still think Laver is. I think Federer is now over Sampras though.

As for this thread title itself I dont think he was ever a jerk but I havent enjoyed his commentary, interviews or even articles for awhile now. NBC apparently havent either as he was increasingly demoted to side show roles from mid 1995 onwards long before being let go.

chess9
06-09-2009, 05:05 AM
I love Bud Collins. Wait til he gets really old. ;)

You young guys are all excited about Mary Carillo, I know.... ;)

The problem with Bud must be that he isn't a metrosexual. Get him some long hair, lots of perfume, shaved crotch, a PC approach, and a whiny accent, and he'll be perfect for some of you. ;)

-Robert

MIGHTY MANFRED THE WONDER
06-09-2009, 09:51 AM
^ Just bought his (authored) book COMPLETE HISTORY OF TENNIS at a 2nd hand store- If he doesn't know anything about tennis, then this should be a pretty short read.

I am waiting on Mary Carillo to write anything at all.

jackson vile
06-09-2009, 10:16 AM
Get over it and let Roger enjoy his win!

vandre
06-09-2009, 10:42 AM
Bananas. It's not close.

no way man! it pineapple! pineapple pnws bananas h2h! lol!!!!:twisted:

vandre
06-09-2009, 10:44 AM
The problem with Bud must be that he isn't a metrosexual. Get him some long hair, lots of perfume, shaved crotch, a PC approach, and a whiny accent, and he'll be perfect for some of you. ;)

-Robert

ARRRRGGG!!! that's one mental image i don't need!!!! i'm gonna go steel wool my brain to get rid of that one!!! bud collins crotch=tmi!!! :evil:

NamRanger
06-09-2009, 10:52 AM
You're calling 'bs' on Bud Collins's tennis expertise? Did you do your research?

Once it was 92 as a previous poster said, I think Bud Collins went a little senile and started running out of ideas. Then he just started spewing out random things that made no sense. However, anything prior to 92 (which is a really long time) he makes alot of insightful comments and really does know what he's talking about.

However, now adays, sometimes I feel like he just says stuff just to say stuff.

certifiedjatt
06-09-2009, 10:55 AM
Bananas. It's not close.

i disagree. mango is the greatest fruit. here's why.

1. it doesn't cry after losing
2. it only looks like a boob
3. it doesn't have "RF" all over itself

:)
oh relax. i'm not a fed hater.

chess9
06-09-2009, 11:44 AM
ARRRRGGG!!! that's one mental image i don't need!!!! i'm gonna go steel wool my brain to get rid of that one!!! bud collins crotch=tmi!!! :evil:

He, he! ;)

-Robert

JennyS
06-09-2009, 12:15 PM
I never liked Bud Collins. He needs to retire.

He also needs to learn how to dress himself!

http://www.tennischannel.com/thursdays/bud_12.jpg

http://www.champagnetennis.com/ImageGallery/CollinsConnorsksh.jpg

Ocean Gypsy
06-09-2009, 12:30 PM
The guy's a walking/talking encyclopedia of tennis trivia and history. Which can be interesting. But he dresses and talks like an ***** and thinks his opinion actually matters. He says things just to be inflammatory and it sounds pretty stupid most of the time.

Retire, Bud. Please.

Marius_Hancu
06-09-2009, 01:06 PM
Peter Bodo and Bud Collins have earned the right to speak their mind.

They know more about tennis, know how to speak and have a better mastery of the English language than most of the commentators around.

I myself would like to have seen Federer S&V-ing more. Does this make my admiration in the face of such a huge accomplishment as his any smaller? Surely not.

BTW, this is what Bodo said about Federer this week:

--------------
... the coronation of someone like Roger Federer, the man whose game has always radiated ease, grace, along with an almost otherworldly lightness that belies the sting of that marvelously fluid serve, the hiss of that crosscourt topspin backhand, and the snap of that expertly lashed forehand.

http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2009/06/by-pete-bodoyou-couldnt-really-call-him-a-streaker-and-not-just-because-the-gawky-apparition-was-wearing-shots-and-using-the.html
---------------

Well, if I were Roger, if someone would say things like that about me, he could as well criticise me from time to time.

ghostbear
06-09-2009, 01:07 PM

I guess he doesn't care what others think of him. Good for him.

chess9
06-09-2009, 01:59 PM

http://www.tennischannel.com/thursdays/bud_12.jpg

http://www.champagnetennis.com/ImageGallery/CollinsConnorsksh.jpg

Looks like a great choice of colors to me! Isn't Bud Irish? ;) Blame his parents!!

-Robert

CyBorg
06-09-2009, 02:06 PM
Once it was 92 as a previous poster said, I think Bud Collins went a little senile and started running out of ideas. Then he just started spewing out random things that made no sense. However, anything prior to 92 (which is a really long time) he makes alot of insightful comments and really does know what he's talking about.

However, now adays, sometimes I feel like he just says stuff just to say stuff.

Bud's a colourful guy, always has been. He's still pretty sharp.

vtmike
06-09-2009, 02:10 PM
Peter Bodo and Bud Collins have earned the right to speak their mind.

They know more about tennis, know how to speak and have a better mastery of the English language than most of the commentators around.

I myself would like to have seen Federer S&V-ing more. Does this make my admiration in the face of such a huge accomplishment as his any smaller? Surely not.

BTW, this is what Bodo said about Federer this week:

--------------
... the coronation of someone like Roger Federer, the man whose game has always radiated ease, grace, along with an almost otherworldly lightness that belies the sting of that marvelously fluid serve, the hiss of that crosscourt topspin backhand, and the snap of that expertly lashed forehand.

http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2009/06/by-pete-bodoyou-couldnt-really-call-him-a-streaker-and-not-just-because-the-gawky-apparition-was-wearing-shots-and-using-the.html
---------------

Well, if I were Roger, if someone would say things like that about me, he could as well criticise me from time to time.

Peter Bodo is the ultimate bandwagoner!

thalivest
06-09-2009, 02:21 PM
As much as I am not a huge Bud Collins fan these days he atleast deserves better than Peter Bozo being put in the same sentence as him. Mr. Bodo's sheer existence in the tennis world is nothing more than one of those unfortunate realities of planet Earth.

pc1
06-09-2009, 02:45 PM
Bud Collins has forgotten more about tennis than we will ever know. The man is great historian and is expressing his opinion. If he did not say Federer is the GOAT, it may be because he is erring on the side of caution because he has seen so many great players over the years.

From what I've seen, the man seems about as sharp as ever.

gpt
06-09-2009, 05:21 PM
When i was a kid i saved up for weeks to buy Bud Collins Modern Encyclopedia of Tennis. I was so happy when i finally got my hands on it. BUT it is so full of mistakes and errors of fact. For example it lists Vilas as beating Ashe in the AO semis when it was actually John Marks, and that's just one that i recall of the top of my head. I have had it in my bookshelf for decades and everytime i look at it it still p****s me off. Dont know how involved Collins actually was in it's production but he put his name to that book and ever since i have just dismissed his 'expertise'

akv89
06-09-2009, 05:30 PM
Strange he would say this. I remember him doing an interview with Charlie Rose in 2007 when he said that he would consider Federer the greatest player without question if he ever won the French.

DoubleDeuce
06-09-2009, 05:47 PM
He should put Nadal in his will.