PDA

View Full Version : Nadal: Wimbledon/USO

tacou
06-08-2009, 12:18 PM
Hey all. If Nadal does indeed miss Wimbledon he will have had a considerable break from play. Usually Rafa appears pretty exhausted come USO, but with this time off and a hard court slam already under his belt, what are Nadal's chances at The Open?

P_Agony
06-08-2009, 12:31 PM
I say his chances are better than ever. He already has one HC slam under his belt, and he's a better hard court player today than he ever was. Depends on his draw really. Many players have the tools to beat him on hard courts, especially the US Open hard courts. However Nadal has proved that when he has the will he is almost unbeatable, so it can happen. Personally, I would rather Nadal win Wimbly and Fed winning the US Open.

thejoe
06-08-2009, 12:37 PM
I say his chances are better than ever. He already has one HC slam under his belt, and he's a better hard court player today than he ever was. Depends on his draw really. Many players have the tools to beat him on hard courts, especially the US Open hard courts. However Nadal has proved that when he has the will he is almost unbeatable, so it can happen. Personally, I would rather Nadal win Wimbly and Fed winning the US Open.

Really? It would be the other way round for me. I think for Fed too.

malakas
06-08-2009, 12:39 PM
If he withdraws from Wimby and heals from whatever he has,mental or physical,I give him a slim chance.

If he doesn't ,it is very improbable in my opinion.

But then again this is sports,anything can happen.

veroniquem
06-08-2009, 12:40 PM
I hope he'll be fine and hungry at USO this year. I would love it if he could complete his career slam soon. It's not gonna be easy as the USO is the slam with the most contenders IMO.

tacou
06-08-2009, 01:15 PM
If he withdraws from Wimby and heals from whatever he has,mental or physical,I give him a slim chance.

you give a healthy, ambitious Nadal only a slim chance? care to elaborate?

BigServer1
06-08-2009, 01:29 PM
First: Nadal will play Wimbledon. There is no way that he will miss it, especially with 3+ weeks of rest after the FO.

Second: I don't see the USO happening for Nadal yet. There are too many issues with fatigue at the end of the year (even in 06 when Nadal skipped the AO), and it seems like his knee issues aren't going anywhere anytime soon. There are also too many guys that can beat Nadal on the US Open surface, like Federer, Djokovic and Murray, not to mention a guy like DelPo or a floater like Blake or Berdych.

The really fast, slick US hard courts just don't suit Nadal's game all that much. He might get one eventually, but not this year.

malakas
06-08-2009, 01:30 PM
you give a healthy, ambitious Nadal only a slim chance? care to elaborate?

yes.There are too many players who can defeat him in the hardcourt of USO.Like Youzhny,Blake,Berdych,Murray,Djokovic and Federer etc.I don't say he has no chance but he will need a good draw.that's my opinion.

thalivest
06-08-2009, 01:38 PM
The one saving grace if he has to miss Wimbledon is he will get a nice long break and should be rested and in great health for the U.S Open. Hopefully even if he does play Wimbledon this will be the case though!

There are alot of guys who can beat Nadal at the Open, but there is also nobody he isnt capable of beating right now IMO.

Nadal_Freak
06-08-2009, 01:42 PM
yes.There are too many players who can defeat him in the hardcourt of USO.Like Youzhny,Blake,Berdych,Murray,Djokovic and Federer etc.I don't say he has no chance but he will need a good draw.that's my opinion.

LOL People still think Blake and Youzhny can still beat Nadal? Even Berdych is questioable. The list to worry about is Soderling, Davydenko, Verdasco, Murray, Djokovic, and Federer now.

malakas
06-08-2009, 01:44 PM
LOL People still think Blake and Youzhny can still beat Nadal? Even Berdych is questioable. The list to worry about is Soderling, Davydenko, Verdasco, Murray, Djokovic, and Federer now.

yes I think so.Who would put Soderling in that list before he beat him in RG?!? Noone.That's why most of the players with similar styles and games as Soderling,Berdych etc all can beat Nadal in a good day.That's what I'm saying.

joeri888
06-08-2009, 01:44 PM

How about Monfils or Del Potro? They both defeated Rafa this season on a hardcourt already.

FuriousYellow
06-08-2009, 01:51 PM
Nadal is certainly capable of winning the USO.

The problem is most of the rest of the top 50 players play better on hardcourts. It makes it easier for these guys with big serves to hold serve and extend the matches and wear him out for later rounds. Nadal spent more time in his US Open matches last year than he did on the slower clay at the French Open.

DarthMaul
06-08-2009, 01:59 PM

I would rather see Fed winning both Wimby and USO :)

tacou
06-08-2009, 02:03 PM

while I agree it's going to be his toughest slam to win, I don't think Blake and Youzhny are a threat anymore, especially over best of 5 sets. upsets are always possible, but I see a healthy Nadal making the quarters of USO at least. then he can meet guys like Delpo and Tsonga, then Murray and Djoko who can definitely defeat him.

Still, a healthy, hungry multi-slam winner on all surfaces and world #1 gets more than a "slim" chance in my book.

thejoe
06-08-2009, 02:22 PM
The one saving grace if he has to miss Wimbledon is he will get a nice long break and should be rested and in great health for the U.S Open. Hopefully even if he does play Wimbledon this will be the case though!

There are alot of guys who can beat Nadal at the Open, but there is also nobody he isnt capable of beating right now IMO.

Excellently put. I completely agree.

Cesc Fabregas
06-08-2009, 02:25 PM

Thanks for the laugh, Nadal would spank Youzhny, Berdych and Blake if they met now on any surface.

P_Agony
06-08-2009, 02:27 PM
Really? It would be the other way round for me. I think for Fed too.

Fed lost his chance to win 6 consecutive Wimblys. He still has that chance at the US Open.

deltox
06-08-2009, 02:32 PM

u think roddick and jmdp and gonzalez cant give him trouble at USO courts?

malakas
06-08-2009, 02:35 PM
Thanks for the laugh, Nadal would spank Youzhny, Berdych and Blake if they met now on any surface.

Whatever you say.:)

norbac
06-08-2009, 02:43 PM
I would love for there to be two players with career Slams playing in the same era, so here's hoping Rafa can take the USO.

malakas
06-08-2009, 02:44 PM
I would love for there to be two players with career Slams playing in the same era, so here's hoping Rafa can take the USO.

yes it would be nice for the sport.:)