PDA

View Full Version : Wimbledon Wildcards

shadows
06-08-2009, 02:43 PM
Men's singles: Alex Bogdanovic (GBR), Grigor Dimitrov (BUL), Daniel Evans (GBR), Juan Carlos Ferrero (ESP), Joshua Goodall (GBR) and james Ward (GBR), with two still to be announced.

Women's singles: Elena Baltacha (GBR), Alexa Glatch (USA), Michelle Larcher de Brito (POR), Katie O'Brien (GBR), Laura Robson (GBR), Melanie South (GBR), Georgie Stoop (GBR), Kimiko Date Krumm.

Men's qualifying singles: Richard Bloomfield (GBR), Daniel Cox (GBR), Taylor Dent (USA), Chris Eaton (GBR), Alexander Slabinsky (GBR), with four spots still open.

Women's qualifying singles: Naomi Broady (GBR), Naomi Cavaday (GBR), Jade Curtis (GBR), Olivia Rogowska (AUS), with four spots still open.

Men's doubles: James Auckland and Joshua Goodall (GBR), Alex Bogdanovic and James Ward (GBR), Jamie Delgado and Jonathan Marray (GBR), Colin Fleming and Kenneth Skupski (GBR), with one to be announced.

Women's doubles: Elena Baltacha and Amanda Elliott (GBR), Jade Curtis and Anna Smith (GBR), Laura Robson and Georgie Stoop (GBR), with one to be announced.

==

A couple of names of interest, Dimitrov gets one off the back of his junior win last year and it's nice to see JCF getting one too.

Taylor Dent gets one into the qualifying draw, so I hope he can come through that with flying colours.

De Brito gets one on the womens side, it'll be interesting to see how the wimby crowd react to her...output

wilsondude
06-08-2009, 02:45 PM
what about peter polansky or frank dancevic?

batz
06-08-2009, 02:45 PM
Boggo got another WC. *shakes head*

thejoe
06-08-2009, 02:46 PM
For God's Sake, stop handing out wild cards to people like Ward and Bogdanovic. They won't make anything of them. Ward has never had a tour level victory. It's a waste of a wild card.

Fedace
06-08-2009, 02:46 PM
WHAT ??????????? Alex Clayton didn't get a Wildcard ??? Where is the justice in this world ?

shadows
06-08-2009, 02:49 PM
For God's Sake, stop handing out wild cards to people like Ward and Bogdanovic. They won't make anything of them. Ward has never had a tour level victory. It's a waste of a wild card.

Ward got run over by Baghy today and it's not like Baghy is in great form of late ><

I dunno who else they'd give it to though, they've got to try make the opportunities available to encourage players :/

I'd rather see Ward get one over Boggo anyway, he at least has a bit of time to do something with his career

sureshs
06-08-2009, 02:50 PM
Alexa Glatch will win Wimbledon. Big serves, nice slice.

batz
06-08-2009, 02:52 PM
Ward got run over by Baghy today and it's not like Baghy is in great form of late ><

I dunno who else they'd give it to though, they've got to try make the opportunities available to encourage players :/

I'd rather see Ward than Boggo get one anyway, he at least has a bit of time to do something

My sentiments exactly. Ward must be given some chances - Boggo has had plenty.

Fleming and Skupski might do a wee bit of damage in the dubs.

Fedace
06-08-2009, 02:52 PM
Alexa Glatch will win Wimbledon. Big serves, nice slice.

Not likely, i can move faster than her...:)

shadows
06-08-2009, 02:54 PM

yeha, he's been trying since what, 02 to get past the first round lol XD

batz
06-08-2009, 02:55 PM
yeha, he's been trying since what, 02 to get past the first round lol XD

Or win a DC rubber:(

shadows
06-08-2009, 02:57 PM
I think we should stop talking about Boggo, it's getting depressing again D:

malakas
06-08-2009, 02:57 PM
Good choice Ferrero and Dimitrov!:)

Fedace
06-08-2009, 02:58 PM
and Where is that Wildcard for DEVIN Britton ??? He is the best serve and volleyer in men's game today. with Name like Britton,,,,those english may have thrown him a bone....?

batz
06-08-2009, 03:00 PM
I think we should stop talking about Boggo, it's getting depressing again D:

LOL you're right. It's so frustrating though. All those talented Serbs and we end up with the rubbish one!:)

Feņa14
06-08-2009, 03:03 PM
Good choice Ferrero and Dimitrov!:)

Yup! I heard Laura Robson will be the youngest to play since Hingis in 1995, which will be interesting too.

wilsondude
06-08-2009, 03:05 PM
wheres peter polansky and frank dancevic?

Fee
06-08-2009, 07:16 PM
I'm very pleased they gave one to JCF, and Ken Skupski has been around for a while so that doubles wildcard is nice to see too.

fortunecookiesjc
06-08-2009, 07:17 PM
what about steffi graf!!

hoosierbr
06-08-2009, 09:38 PM
What is this five, six years in a row that the AELTC has wasted a wild card on Alex Bogdanovic? Finally they kicked him off the Davis Cup team for good (it seems) after losing in yet another embarassing display last year at home. He's never won a round at Wimby, is roundly criticized for his lack of work ethic and yet they keep giving him a spot that belongs to someone who really deserves it. A real shame.

joeri888
06-08-2009, 09:46 PM
Women's singles: Elena Baltacha (GBR), Alexa Glatch (USA), Michelle Larcher de Brito (POR), Katie O'Brien (GBR), Laura Robson (GBR), Melanie South (GBR), Georgie Stoop (GBR), with one still to be announced.I'd hope they'd give one to Michaella Krajicek. As a former quarterfinalist and sister of a former Wimbledon champion I had high hopes..

crazylevity
06-08-2009, 10:14 PM
I have high hopes for Dimitrov, seeing how he has matched up with the senior tour this year, in particular Rotterdam. If he gets a good draw he could win a round or two, I think.

BorisBeckerFan
06-08-2009, 10:24 PM
Dimitrov!!! Man I'm pumped. I hope he draws Nadal or Fed the first round so his match will be televised. Man first Fed wins the FO and now Dimitrov gets a wildcard. YESSSSSS!!!!!!!

Rhino
06-09-2009, 12:27 AM
I think Chris Eaton deserves a wildcard more than Bogdanovic. At least Eaton won a match there last year.

Leublu tennis
06-09-2009, 02:12 AM
For God's Sake, stop handing out wild cards to people like Ward and Bogdanovic. They won't make anything of them. Ward has never had a tour level victory. It's a waste of a wild card.Any other worth while Brit around?? Who was that guy who never won a single match in something like 3 - 4 years? Why don't they put him in?

Leublu tennis
06-09-2009, 02:16 AM
Thanks, Shad. Appreciate the info.

velkov
06-09-2009, 02:40 AM
I have high hopes for Dimitrov, seeing how he has matched up with the senior tour this year, in particular Rotterdam. If he gets a good draw he could win a round or two, I think.

yes correct - its all about good draw !!

Arrows
06-09-2009, 02:50 AM
They put Robson into the main draw? Promising.

origmarm
06-09-2009, 03:31 AM
I think Chris Eaton deserves a wildcard more than Bogdanovic. At least Eaton won a match there last year.

I believe Eaton has already qualified along with Taylor Dent hence neither of them got wildcards. I would have expected both to get one if they hadn't qualified.

I agree with other posters that Bogdanovic is a waste of a wildcard. Happy to see Josh Goodall get one though, plays with real spirit. Cavaday will be an interesting one also, streaky player.

Cesc Fabregas
06-09-2009, 03:44 AM
Boggo got another WC. *shakes head*

Its a joke, he's a clown who gets knocked 1st round every year he doesn't deserve one.

deltox
06-09-2009, 03:47 AM
so, does this mean john isner wasnt offered a WC or is he still gonna miss this slam due to mono?

shadows
06-09-2009, 03:48 AM
Boggo will draw Roger this year, and finally get past the first round, upsetting a good quantity of the world in the process =p

@deltox, I don't really see why Isner would get a wc? If he's fit I'd imagine he'll qualify no problem, and he might even sneak in on direct acceptance if some people pull out.

Narcissist
06-09-2009, 03:48 AM
Laura Robson (GBR)

Great to see Laura get a shot at the main draw after her junior win last year. Hopefully she will have smilar success to Wozniacki making the transion to the WTA following her Wimbledon girls title.

Moose Malloy
06-09-2009, 02:09 PM
Kimiko Date-Krumm('96 W semifinalist) got the last WC

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_ylt=AvMY2.qNlSbZsuyR81cKIRQ4v7YF?slug=ap-wimbledon-datekrumm&prov=ap&type=lgns

I hope Larcher de Brito gets a showcourt assignment, the reaction of the club could be very interesting...

batz
06-09-2009, 02:13 PM
Boggo will draw Roger this year, and finally get past the first round, upsetting a good quantity of the world in the process =p

@deltox, I don't really see why Isner would get a wc? If he's fit I'd imagine he'll qualify no problem, and he might even sneak in on direct acceptance if some people pull out.

That would cause a rip in the space/time continuum!

woodrow1029
06-09-2009, 02:17 PM
Its a joke, he's a clown who gets knocked 1st round every year he doesn't deserve one.
LOL.. He's only won 2 sets in 6 years..

MarcRosset1992
06-09-2009, 02:27 PM
Good to see Dan Evans get a WC. Not much tennis talent seems to grow on that island, but he is a sure thing. Wish him well. Hope that this he manages to find a pub outside a 1-mile radius from the grounds to spend his prize money.

T1000
06-09-2009, 03:15 PM
yay dimitrov got one, hopefully he can pull off at least oe big upset

Dimitrov_Fan
06-10-2009, 03:03 AM
Let's go Dimitrov, let's go!

batz
06-10-2009, 11:14 AM

Fleming and Skupski might do a wee bit of damage in the dubs.

Am I a soothsayer or what? Ken and Colin have only just gone and beat the Bryans 4 and 4 at Queen's for only their 2nd ATP win - from 0-3 down in the first!:shock:

Rhino
06-10-2009, 12:23 PM

Can you imagine if Boggo did draw Federer? I cannot honestly see the point in him even turning up to that match, it would be a bagel-fest.

batz
06-10-2009, 12:38 PM
Can you imagine if Boggo did draw Federer? I cannot honestly see the point in him even turning up to that match, it would be a bagel-fest.

Boggo would be lucky to even get a bagel against Roger.

thejoe
06-10-2009, 12:45 PM
Boggo would be lucky to even get a bagel against Roger.

Boggo would be lucky to get a bagel against Federer playing with his left hand.

batz
06-10-2009, 12:49 PM

Boggo would be lucky to get a bagel against Federer playing with a frying pan in his left hand.

sureshs
06-10-2009, 12:51 PM
Not likely, i can move faster than her...:)

You would need to if you played against her

Rhino
06-10-2009, 12:54 PM

Yeah i think Boggo would make history by having the first minus number of games in a set. He would actually go below a bagel. The umpire would be like "Sorry Mr bogdaviczh or whatever your name is, that was such bad tennis I'm afraid I have to award Mr Federer two games for that game you just lost". He could also set a record for shortest ever match at Wimbledon.

imalil2gangsta4u
06-10-2009, 01:00 PM
arg i hope the crowd boos de brito.

firefox
06-10-2009, 01:06 PM
What about DY? LOL!

Serendipitous
06-10-2009, 01:08 PM
Yay, Dimitrov!