PDA

View Full Version : Ladies, How Are We Feeling About Mixed?

Cindysphinx
06-08-2009, 04:42 PM
I've played several seasons of 7.0 mixed, but my 7.0 team is going to dissolve. So I have to figure out what to do.

On the one hand, playing 7.0 mixed has done wonders for my service return and pretty much every other element of my game. When I play ladies league, the pace on the serves makes it feel like I am playing underwater.

That said, I really stink at 7.0 mixed. I rarely win, and my wins are against the Weakest Of The Weak. I have trouble with spin and pace, and I prefer to be at net rather than the baseline. These are the very characteristics that will get you killed as the lady in mixed. I am more likely to miss volleys in mixed because of the pace, I am less likely to be able to transition to net because of the pace, and I am more likely to miss groundstrokes because of the pace. The women I know who do well in 7.0 mixed don't mind being in the corner on the baseline having a groundstroke rally with a dude, and that ain't me.

Making matters worse is that, since I stink at mixed, I don't get the strongest partners because those guys would be wasted on me. The partners I do get are on Court Three with me for a reason, let's just say. This doesn't make it easier to be successful.

So. I'm at a crossroads. I could try to find a new team. Or not. Maybe I have gotten everything out of mixed that I'm going to get. Is that even possible? How come I can't develop my game by just playing ladies?

Ladies, what level of mixed do you play and do you think you are getting anything out of it?

subaru3169
06-08-2009, 05:06 PM
i'm not a lady

but i'd like to offer a suggestion if i may.. to help your game, i would try to find someone who hits much harder and places better than you to up your game in a singles set.. perhaps a guy that is one level above you which would be 4.0 can help you practice returning hard serves and return shots that are much heavier

raiden031
06-08-2009, 07:57 PM
I've played several seasons of 7.0 mixed, but my 7.0 team is going to dissolve. So I have to figure out what to do.

On the one hand, playing 7.0 mixed has done wonders for my service return and pretty much every other element of my game. When I play ladies league, the pace on the serves makes it feel like I am playing underwater.

That said, I really stink at 7.0 mixed. I rarely win, and my wins are against the Weakest Of The Weak. I have trouble with spin and pace, and I prefer to be at net rather than the baseline. These are the very characteristics that will get you killed as the lady in mixed. I am more likely to miss volleys in mixed because of the pace, I am less likely to be able to transition to net because of the pace, and I am more likely to miss groundstrokes because of the pace. The women I know who do well in 7.0 mixed don't mind being in the corner on the baseline having a groundstroke rally with a dude, and that ain't me.

Making matters worse is that, since I stink at mixed, I don't get the strongest partners because those guys would be wasted on me. The partners I do get are on Court Three with me for a reason, let's just say. This doesn't make it easier to be successful.

So. I'm at a crossroads. I could try to find a new team. Or not. Maybe I have gotten everything out of mixed that I'm going to get. Is that even possible? How come I can't develop my game by just playing ladies?

Ladies, what level of mixed do you play and do you think you are getting anything out of it?

I think you have alot to gain by continuing to play 7.0 mixed. The fact that you are struggling against the male opponents' shots shows you will only get better by facing it. I think the women in mixed typically have more to gain than the men, because they see bigger shots they aren't used to seeing in the women's leagues. That will help you as you will have learned to deal with those shots even before you start seeing more of it as you climb the levels.

What I don't understand is why so many women (compared to men) that are 3.0 and 3.5 actually want to play up at 7.0 and 8.0 mixed respectively when they should be getting plenty of competition at their own level. That kinda surprises me.

Cindysphinx
06-09-2009, 03:33 AM
What I don't understand is why so many women (compared to men) that are 3.0 and 3.5 actually want to play up at 7.0 and 8.0 mixed respectively when they should be getting plenty of competition at their own level. That kinda surprises me.

Sometimes it is just circumstance. I probably could get onto an 8.0 team for the fall fairly easily, just because I know a captain.

Also, I know some men who are 3.5s who are playing 8.0 mixed. That is a much bigger leap than when a 3.5 woman plays 8.0 mixed, assuming the same level partner (say, a 4.0 partner).

abbeytxs
06-09-2009, 09:16 AM
Have you tried asking a 20 year old to be your partner? Just email him everyday and tell him all your marital troubles. That should do the trick. HA!

Topaz
06-09-2009, 09:22 AM
How do I feel about mixed?

Mixed!!!

Our 7.0 league is dominated by a few teams who are h*ll bent on Nationals, and it was not a fun season last year. Not sure if paying the money and playing the matches (especially late at night) really helped my tennis goals. I'm seriously considering no mixed next season and just stay in clinics and lessons and work on my fitness instead. Not to mention...get more sleep, too!

PeppermintMocha
06-09-2009, 09:28 AM
I've learnt that I need to beef up my serve!!!

dgrave2
06-09-2009, 10:26 AM
Have you tried asking a 20 year old to be your partner? Just email him everyday and tell him all your marital troubles. That should do the trick. HA!

Well i'm a 23 yo male and my mixed dubs partner is 46. We make a great pair :) We beat an undefeated 7.0 couple (and we're supposedly both 3.0..) Although when she is at net and the opponent hits a drop shot and she is already saying "awww nice shot" and I still get to the shot :-? haha I'm definitely the speed of our partnership.. but she holds her own! Cindy, try out a young gun!

GeoffB
06-09-2009, 11:32 AM
I don't play mixed very often, but I've heard that women have a better opportunity to play up, largely because there are more men than women looking for a team. As a result, women can be picky about who they partner up with, and usually this means they pick the strongest partner available.

Maybe this is a case of "just because you *can* doesn't mean you *should*"... if you're having trouble with the pace, and enjoy taking the net and so forth, maybe you should try to play down in mixed. You add the ratings, right? (like I said, my experience with mixed is very limited) So try finding a guy with a lower rating (preferably someone at the top end of a lower rating). He'll probably be stoked to get to play up in mixed, since (I've heard) that isn't an option for the guy as often, and you'll probably get to play a season where the pace isn't as much of a problem. If it goes well, maybe later you'll be more interested in getting back to a higher level of play.

abbeytxs
06-09-2009, 12:06 PM
Well i'm a 23 yo male and my mixed dubs partner is 46. We make a great pair :) We beat an undefeated 7.0 couple (and we're supposedly both 3.0..) Although when she is at net and the opponent hits a drop shot and she is already saying "awww nice shot" and I still get to the shot :-? haha I'm definitely the speed of our partnership.. but she holds her own! Cindy, try out a young gun!

I was joking about another thread here that had to do with older women wanting to find young guys to partner with.

Personally, I love playing mixed. It is by far my favorite to play. I have found that the age of my partner doesn't mean as much as having the right court chemistry does. It sounds like you have been fortunate to find a partner that compliments your style of play. Congrats!

Racer41c
06-09-2009, 12:40 PM
If your goal is to improve then you should continue to play mixed. The one practice recommendation is to get a guy or 2 and play some cross court singles with them.

Cindysphinx
06-09-2009, 01:58 PM
If your goal is to improve then you should continue to play mixed. The one practice recommendation is to get a guy or 2 and play some cross court singles with them.

I have to say, it is really difficult to get decent practice in mixed. My old team did not have team practice due to overall lack of interest.

It ain't easy to get a guy to hit with you. I mean, how many of you young 3.5-4.0 Dudes entertain requests from middle-aged 3.5 women to hit with them? I'm thinking not too many.

Maybe I should make team practice a priority? If a team doesn't practice, maybe that is not the team for me.

I mean, my typical experience in mixed matches is that it takes a whole set for me to sort out the spin and pace and service returns. I can play a decent second set, but by then I have given away the first set, which makes it rather difficult to win.

Topaz
06-09-2009, 02:01 PM

I don't get much practice when a 3.5 sandbagging guy is blasting serves past me.

subaru3169
06-09-2009, 02:09 PM
It ain't easy to get a guy to hit with you. I mean, how many of you young 3.5-4.0 Dudes entertain requests from middle-aged 3.5 women to hit with them? I'm thinking not too many.

Maybe I should make team practice a priority? If a team doesn't practice, maybe that is not the team for me.

I mean, my typical experience in mixed matches is that it takes a whole set for me to sort out the spin and pace and service returns. I can play a decent second set, but by then I have given away the first set, which makes it rather difficult to win.

you could simply be assertive and ask a young strapping lad to practice with you.. you never know, it can stroke a guy's ego

if your team is seriously competitive, practice IS a priority.. not everyone's john mcenroe

it's all mental

dgrave2
06-09-2009, 09:19 PM

I would hit with any woman young or old if she asked me to.. why not? I mean I think its nice to help someone.. because for example a lady on my mixed team has a husband thats a 4.5 player. I'd love to get a chance to hit with him.. thats a really good player that would sacrifice time for a not so good player as myself.. Why not return the favor to someone else?

shell
06-10-2009, 04:38 PM
Cindy, I prefer mixed to all others. In fact, I am considering dropping women's league and only playing mixed.

I practice with a group of guys that probably average the .5 below my level, and it is great experience and fun. The pace is nice, the spins are challenging and the serves are better than I will usually see unless playing up in womens. I get to work on my whole game, and I love the opportunity.

Mixed is much more fun than doubles for me anyway.

Flyingpanda
06-10-2009, 05:44 PM
My tennis teacher jokingly referred to mixed doubles as "mixed troubles," I think it depends mostly on your partner. With a good partner who meshes well with your game and doesn't get on your case when you mess up shots, mixed doubles will improve your game. You've already pointed at problems you have handling the pace of the guy in mixed. In my opinion the fastest way to improve is to play in situations where you're uncomfortable and are forced to try to play better than you normally do.

fe6250
06-11-2009, 10:41 AM
My wife is an excellent 3.5 mixed doubles player, but she is fast, has great hands for the volley, and has a great overhead. This allows us to attack the net just like I would playing men's tennis. Her serve would be the toughest part, but because she is left handed I think she gets away with a lot at 3.5. as she can put it on their backhand. While some teams have success with the 1 up / 1 back - I prefer 2 up - even in 7.0 mixed.

Figjam
06-11-2009, 01:04 PM
I've learnt that I need to beef up my serve!!!
Um, start with beefing up your User Name!