PDA

View Full Version : Has a player ever played a (near) Flawless match?

DarthFed
06-08-2009, 04:47 PM
I'm talking 2-3 golden bagels and (90) 100% first serve?

I know there have been golden bagels but i'd love in my lifetime to see a flawless match

Marty502
06-08-2009, 05:16 PM
The only one I can think of is Fernando Gonzalez beating Tommy Haas in the 2007 Australian Open SF.

6-1, 6-3, 6-1. 86% of first serve points won, 9 aces, 0 DFs and 2 UEs on the entire match. :shock: He beat poor Haas to a pulp.

Gonzalez still thinks to this day that was the best match he's ever played.

OK, not even close to what you're asking, but that was bad anyway.

Federer killing Gaudio 6-0 6-0 in the 2005 Shanghai MC is as close as it gets I guess.

DarthFed
06-08-2009, 05:34 PM
I see...

Well i was looking for a golden bagel (i believe thats when the opponent doesn't score a SINGLE point)

edmondsm
06-08-2009, 05:35 PM
The only one I can think of is Fernando Gonzalez beating Tommy Haas in the 2007 Australian Open SF.

6-1, 6-3, 6-1. 86% of first serve points won, 9 aces, 0 DFs and 2 UEs on the entire match. :shock: He beat poor Haas to a pulp.

Gonzalez still thinks to this day that was the best match he's ever played

I'm sure there are even more lopsided matches in the earlier rounds of slams. That one was amazing because Gonzo was beating a great player, who was in form no less.

I remember Roddick absolutely abusing Scoville Jenkins at the USO a few years back. Here's the match:

http://www.atpworldtour.com/tennis/3/en/players/headtohead/default.asp?player1=Roddick%2C+A&player2=Jenkins%2C+S

dirkgnuf
06-08-2009, 05:36 PM
I see...

Well i was looking for a golden bagel (i believe thats when the opponent doesn't score a SINGLE point)

Bill Scanlon achieved a Golden Set(or as you called it DarthFed, a golden bagel)(win all points of the set) in a 1983 match at Delray Beach vs Hocevar, final score was 6-2 6-0.

Maybe Graf's demolition of Zvereva at hte 1988 French Open Final, a 6-0 6-0 beatdown that lasted 32 minutes, shorter than the trophy ceremony and presentation that followed it. Poor girl was in tears.

Serendipitous
06-08-2009, 05:37 PM

Gonzalez still thinks to this day that was the best match he's ever played.

OK, not even close to what you're asking, but that was bad anyway.

Federer killing Gaudio 6-0 6-0 in the 2005 Shanghai MC is as close as it gets I guess.

Domination.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwreJJgeYIg

edmondsm
06-08-2009, 05:38 PM
I see...

In that case, the Guiness Tennis Book of World Records had this:

The only known example of a 'Golden set' (to win a set 6-0 without dropping a single point i.e., winning 24 consecutive points) in professional tennis was achieved by Bill Scanlon (USA) against Marcos Hocevar (Brazil) in the first round of the WCT Gold Coast Classic at Del Ray, FL on 22 February 1983. Scanlon won the match, 6-2, 6-0.

dirkgnuf
06-08-2009, 05:38 PM
Bill Scanlon achieved a Golden Set(win all points of the set) in a 1983 match at Delray Beach vs Hocevar, final score was 6-2 6-0.

Maybe Graf's demolition of Zvereva at the 1988 French Open Final, a 6-0 6-0 beatdown that lasted 32 minutes, shorter than the trophy ceremony and presentation that followed it. Poor girl was in tears.

Marty502
06-08-2009, 05:44 PM
Bill Scanlon achieved a Golden Set(or as you called it DarthFed, a golden bagel)(win all points of the set) in a 1983 match at Delray Beach vs Hocevar, final score was 6-2 6-0.

Maybe Graf's demolition of Zvereva at hte 1988 French Open Final, a 6-0 6-0 beatdown that lasted 32 minutes, shorter than the trophy ceremony and presentation that followed it. Poor girl was in tears.

The WTA site doesn't hold the statistics for the Graf-Zvereva match. But it did mention that Zvereva could beat Graf only once in 21 matches! Talk about a bad matchup.

DarthFed
06-08-2009, 05:44 PM
Only one person? that is A-****ING-MAZING

I would love to witness that..

tacou
06-08-2009, 06:41 PM
a set without dropping a point is ridiculous.

the Gonzo matched came to mind immediately, especially since it was a GS semifinal and two high quality players. Fernando just played insane.

<3tennis!!!
06-08-2009, 06:47 PM
that federer gaudio match was insanely bad. gasudio with 9, yes NINE DFS in just 6 service games didn't exactly help his cause. he hit 3 winners to 22 ues the entire match while fed hit 22 to 16 ues. it was really just a run of the mill performance by fed at that time and he came up against an opponent who was more or less having one of the worst matches of his life(or so i hope!)

Jim A
06-08-2009, 07:09 PM
not talking perfect on the point side, but didn't Courier during the Aussie Open one year win the final with like 4 unforced errors?

namui
06-08-2009, 07:19 PM
John McEnroe, Wimbledon final 1984, defeated Jimmy Connors 6-1, 6-1, 6-2 in 80 minutes!!

Stefan Edberg, US Open final 1991, defeated Jim Courier 6-2, 6-4, 6-0 (Edberg considers this his best match ever)

Sorry to mention only serve-volleyers. But when serve-and-volley tennis is "on", it's truly a destruction.

If you want to emphasize on first-serve percentage, ...

Wilander defeated Henri Leconte 7-5, 6-2, 6-1 in the final of the French Open. Wilander missed only one first serve in the entire match.

JeMar
06-08-2009, 07:26 PM
Domination.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwreJJgeYIg

No wonder Gaudio never recovered.

He walked "funny" ever since that match.

rommil
06-08-2009, 08:05 PM
It didn't involve a bagel score but I though when Safin beat Sampras at that US Open final that was one of the dominating performances.

prosealster
06-08-2009, 09:06 PM
bruguera vs champion at RG one year where he disched out 3 bagles to the frenchman :)

edberg also did the same to his countryman eriksson in sw19 in 89

IvanAndreevich
06-08-2009, 09:41 PM
Well Federer vs Hewitt USO 2004. 6-0 7-6 6-0 was pretty good in the final. The first and third sets. In the middle not so much. Overall it was a vicious beat down, though.

Tempest344
06-09-2009, 03:23 AM
Federer vs Roddick 2007 AO can't remember the score but Fed had let Roddick beat him a few weeks before at Kooyong and decided to remind Roddick who was the whipping boy

thejoe
06-09-2009, 03:32 AM
J-Mac beating Connors at Wimbledon in 1984. Utter destruction.
Sampras beating Agassi at Wimbledon 1999. Best Sampras match I have ever seen.

raiden031
06-09-2009, 03:32 AM
AO 2009 - Fed d. Del Potro 6-3, 6-0, 6-0. Fed only lost 9 points within his 11 services games. He also won 69% of the total points in the match.

Rhino
06-09-2009, 03:39 AM
His most comprehensive win (apart from the Gaudio match) was when he beat Alan Mackin (GBR) 6-0 6-0 6-2 in a Davis Cup World Group, 2005 Play-off.

I think Federer could easily have made it a triple bagel but felt sorry for the guy at the end.

jelle v
06-09-2009, 03:40 AM
bruguera vs champion at RG one year where he disched out 3 bagles to the frenchman :)

I wanted to post this one, since hardly anybody ever mentions this one.. but I'm glad someone else besides me remembers or at least mentions this one.

Bruguera was on fire. Passing Terry left and right with the most incredible passing shots. I felt kind of sorry for Terry, even as a Bruguera fan. Seriously, people think Nadal has insane passing shots, but Buguera measures up to Nadal's passing shots :shock:

Rhino
06-09-2009, 03:42 AM
Actually Hewitt's match yesterday against Schwank was pretty flawless too!

roysid
06-09-2009, 03:44 AM
Federer played near perfect tennis at Sanghai to beat Nadal 6-4 6-1.
At one stage he had won some 15 straight points.

Rabbit
06-09-2009, 04:11 AM

In reading Scanlon's book, the back story to this was great. Scanlon was trying to transition from wood to graphite as the writing was on the wall. Wilson was discontinuing all their wood frames including Scanlon's beloved Jack Kramer Auto/ProStaff.

Scanlon was warming up before his match with none other than Rod Laver. Scanlon had come to the practice court with his new grahite frames and nothing else. He was determined to cut the cord and figured the easiest was to do that was to commit to graphite.

Laver was beating the pants off him and laughing at how poorly Scanlon was hitting. Scanlon, in desparation, beat a trail back to his hotel room, retrieved his stash of Kramers and went back to court in time to play his match.....which was against Hocevar.

Scanlon said he stuck with the wood a little longer.

zagor
06-09-2009, 04:14 AM
Didn't Lendl triple bagel some poor guy in the early rounds of USO?

Gorecki
06-09-2009, 04:19 AM
Nalbandian handling down Nadal in Paris 2007?

Tsonga Handling Nadal on 2008 AO?

zagor
06-09-2009, 04:22 AM
Nalbandian handling down Nadal in Paris 2007?

Tsonga Handling Nadal on 2008 AO?

Are you looking for a fight Gorecki :)? Balls traveled too fast through the air in those matches so they don't count.

grafrules
06-09-2009, 04:26 AM
Here are some I can think of:

1984 French Open final: Navratilova played near perfect match to slaughter Chris Evert, the greatest female clay courter ever.

1985 U.S Open final: Mandlikova played near perfect tennis to defeat a peak Navratilova in the final.

1986 German Open final: 16 year old Graf played near perfect tennis to hammer a prime Navratilova in front of her home fans on clay and announce her arrival as a bigtime player in womens tennis.

1987 U.S Open final: A determined Navratilova played a near perfect to turn aside a young Graf in a surprisingly one sided final.

1988 French Open final: Graf played a virtually perfect match to humiliate the badly overmatched young Natasha Zvereva in a 30 minute double bagel.

1989 Australian Open semis: Graf played a near perfect match to hold arguably her biggest rival at the time- Sabatini, to a mere 3 games in the semis.

1989 Wimbledon: Basically every match Graf played in the 2nd week was perfect. Except for the 2nd set vs Navratilova where she had a lapse in the first few games, she played 8 otherwise perfect sets of tennis in destroying a young Seles (who had just taken her to 3 sets at the French) , Sanchez (who had just upset her at the French), Evert in her last Wimbledon, and Navratilova. Granted only Graf of those players was in her prime but it was still an amazing display of power tennis.

1990 German Open final- a very young Seles played a near perfect match in scoring her first win over Graf in straight sets. Graf was sluggish around the time and not herself but that doesnt detract from Monicas amazing and virtually flawless performance.

1990 Wimbledon final- Like Graf at Wimbledon 89 basically every match Martina played in the 2nd week of this Wimbledon. In the final especialy she was flawless in winning her record 9th title with a command performance over Garrison who was having the tournament of her life.

1992 Wimbledon final- Graf put on a virtualy perfect performance to destroy Monica Seles and end Monicas streak of 41 straight matches and 5 straight major titles.

1993 Australian Open final- Seles put on a virtualy flawless performance to turn back a determined and in form Graf in 3 sets, winning the 2nd and 3rd sets fairly handily in fact.

1994 French Open semis- Pierce basically played flawless tennis the whole tournament until the rain delay in the final with Sanchez which postponed it midway through the 1st set to the next day ruined it all and almost no doubt cost Mary the FO title that year. Most notably her performance in the semis, destroying the great Graf 6-2, 6-2.

1994 Wimbledon 1st round- Lori McNeil played an absolutely flawless match of serve/volley tennis to oust Graf in one of the biggest Wimbledon upsets ever.

1994 Wimbledon final- Despite what a joke it is to many she ever won Wimbledon, Martinez played a virtually flawless final with virtually no errors or bad shots in beating Navratilova in her final Wimbledon.

1995 Martinez on clay- Martinez basically played flawless tennis every match she played on clay until nerves got to her in the FO semis with Graf.

1996 Oakland final- The toll weight problems and a sore shoulder were taking on Monicas play was driven home in brutal fashion by 15 year old phenom Martina Hingis who played pretty much a flawless match in destroying Seles 6-2, 6-0 in the Oakland final of 1996.

1997 Australian Open final- Hingis was virtually letter perfect in her destruction of the hard hitting Pierce in the final to win her first slam title.

2003 U.S Open semis- Henin and Capriati both played essentialy flawless tennis all match long but someone had to lose.

2007 Australian Open final- Basically a flawless Serena hammered Maria that day.

2007 U.S Open quarters- Except for the double fault on the first set point essentialy flawless tennis by Henin that day in overpowering and outplaying Serena on a fast hard court.

rod99
06-09-2009, 04:32 AM
'99 wimbledon final. i've never seen sampras play so well. agassi said after the match that pete could have "walked on water".

grafrules
06-09-2009, 04:35 AM
Thinking back it is amazing to think how good Hingis was in the late 90s. I think many underestimate that seeing how she is last remembered being bullied out of the sport by the new age power hitters who were all far more fit and playing at a much higher level in the early 2000s than they do today (when Hingis had lost some confidence already so an unlucky combination for her). She especialy seemed to like playing Seles and Pierce. She fed off their power and consistently clean hard driven balls, she robbed them off time by hitting the ball early, and she exposed their liability in court coverage and mobility by moving them side to side. She did not like playing the Williams anywhere near as much as they mixed up their shots more and gave her less rythym to work off of, they hit even more powerfully than Seles and Pierce back then, served alot better, and unlike Seles and Pierce they flew around the court on defense getting back nearly any of Hingis shots.

Dutch-Guy
06-09-2009, 05:47 AM
FO 2008:Nadal dismentles Fed 6-1,6-3,6-0. Perfect tennis.

Winners or Errors
06-09-2009, 06:01 AM
John McEnroe, Wimbledon final 1984, defeated Jimmy Connors 6-1, 6-1, 6-2 in 80 minutes!!

This gets my vote, but probably because I don't watch enough tennis. McEnroe simply embarrassed Connors in that final. It was the most one-sided affair I've ever seen. Mac at his most beautiful. Connors... well, I don't know if he really had much of a chance to get started. Can't say he played badly; he was just outclassed.

Gorecki
06-09-2009, 10:44 AM
Are you looking for a fight Gorecki :)? Balls traveled too fast through the air in those matches so they don't count.

can you blame them for using the altitude as a weapon?:)

FlamEnemY
06-09-2009, 11:10 AM
Federer's win over Hewitt is... well, nothing short of amazing.

380pistol
06-09-2009, 11:44 AM
'99 wimbledon final. i've never seen sampras play so well. agassi said after the match that pete could have "walked on water".

You can add the 1997 Grand Slam F Sampras vs Rafter. Pete held his 5 games at love, lost 8 points on serve in 15 service games, and won 92% (23 of 25) 2nd serve points. In his 15 service games he held at love 10 times [incl. 7 of first 8].

MarcRosset1992
06-09-2009, 01:35 PM
Hewitt vs Sampras in the 2001 USO Final? Dont remember much except that it was over very quickly, and that Sampras' serve that day looked like that of an average club player

!Tym
06-09-2009, 06:54 PM
I wanted to post this one, since hardly anybody ever mentions this one.. but I'm glad someone else besides me remembers or at least mentions this one.

Bruguera was on fire. Passing Terry left and right with the most incredible passing shots. I felt kind of sorry for Terry, even as a Bruguera fan. Seriously, people think Nadal has insane passing shots, but Buguera measures up to Nadal's passing shots :shock:

Well, the reason is because most people have only seen Bruguera play a few times...at least here in the United States. The only way I was able to see more is by buying more from overseas. Honestly, back then tv coverage here in the States was far more limited. These days with the Tennis Channel, I can safely say I've seen above average but certainly far from star or "name" players like an Jose Acasuso FAR more often than I ever would have had the chance in the 90s. When players saw someone like Felip Dewulf at the French it really was Felip WHO...even for the "serious" fans of the sport.

These days the Tennis Channel will cover the masters series' all day long as if it were a slam so there's just a lot more filler time to air now. Before, all you'd ever really have a hope of seeing were the big name players...AMERICAN especially.

I've never seen the Champion match, but would buy it if it were on tape. From what I read, Bruguera was all but trying to give Champion a game at the end to save some face, but by then he was too embarrassed to take it.

Bruguera had a disproportionate amount of love and one type sets I felt. This is because he tended to be a hot or cold player. If he was feeling it, he'd step on the offensive after burners as well as the defensive. Because his foot speed and court coverage were so good, it's very tough to take games off an in form *primarily* DEFENSIVE player who also has offensive capability.

This is why Nadal is such a "blowout" set machine. You have to have BOTH class leading defensive capabilities AND offensive tools too. It's like in the NBA, a superb defensive team like a Jeff Van Gundy run team doesn't really blow teams out, because the guy doesn't focus on offense at all.

The defense is what allows a strong scoring team to pull away. Simply scoring or simply playing defense results in close scores. Sampras' got away with it, because his serve ALWAYS gave him the *unspoken* edge at EVERY point of a set so he was always gonna be comfortably ahead in the percentages in that regard. Thus, he didn't really need to focus on defense, so he took the attitude of "why bother" for about 90% of every set I ever saw him play. He'd just turn it on, the COMPLETE effort, for that one key game or few points a set.

The last two sets of the Leconte first round match in 93 was the same from your description. Leconte looked embarrassed by then, and Bruguera looked a little sorry for him. He was passing him AT WILL the last two sets, 1 and 0 the last two sets.

The 93 semi match against Medvedev was another match that tournament where he was simply untouchable and playing a near flawless match. In fact, it was a flawless match. Medvedev was lucky to win just points for most of it.

The 97 Lipton match with Medvedev is another where Bruguera got red hot. I think I read that Medvedev won like only four points the entire first set or something, that Bruguera got up 6-love, 5-love, before intimating in the press conference that he LET Medvedev win a few games at the end because he was his good friend and he felt bad for him he was playing so well. He was said to have played "UNBELIEVABLE" that match, LAUGHABLY unbelievable, according to Patrick McEnroe and Cliff Drysdale.

It's such a shame that there's no tv record of it. That's what I mean. These days, with the Tennis Channel covering most of the major tournies all day long, THESE are the kind of matches that got lost forever before ALL THE TIME...but these days, you have at least SOME hope of MAYBE catching some of it. The Rafter-Bruguera Wimbledon match is another match that in this day and age a fan might have had hope of watching.

I wonder if the player's can get access to footage of some of their better performances that never get aired on t.v. I know if I just played an "UNBELEIVABE" match, I'd want to have it on tape as a player as a confidence booster during rough patches.

The second set and beginning of the third against Sampras at the 93 year ending masters was also near flawless tennis. He was up 5-love and within two points of a six love set against Sampras INDOORS...when it actually played like indoors. Sampras just bowed down to him in mock at the beginning of the third because he couldn't believe what was going on...honestly, after this, Bruguera came back down to earth. Really once you become self-conscious of the fact that you're in the zone, that "fact" no longer exists.

That's why they say the oldest trick in the book is to compliment your opponent on how well they're playing today during a change over, or, WOW, you must have been practicing, never seen you hit your backhand so sweet as you did today, isn't it a beautiful day?

Lol, next thing you now, you start thinking about it, gee, I am hitting my backhand ABNORMALLY well today...then poof, you're "normal" again. :) :confused::cry:

EtePras
06-09-2009, 07:09 PM
The long post above is exactly why Bruguera is the most credible person to listen to when he says that Federer is ten times better than Sampras. That and the 3-2 H2H vs Sampras.

DarthFed
06-09-2009, 07:14 PM
FO 2008:Nadal dismentles Fed 6-1,6-3,6-0. Perfect tennis.

Stop focusing on the scoreline..that is not the perfect match i was referring to

Scanlons golden set was what i was looking for

pmerk34
06-09-2009, 07:50 PM
J-Mac beating Connors at Wimbledon in 1984. Utter destruction.
Sampras beating Agassi at Wimbledon 1999. Best Sampras match I have ever seen.

Lendl beat Jim Pugh one year in the early rounds of the US Open 6-0 6-0 6-0

dugger5688
06-09-2009, 08:54 PM
Federer vs Roddick 2007 AO can't remember the score but Fed had let Roddick beat him a few weeks before at Kooyong and decided to remind Roddick who was the whipping boy

Agreed, that was the most perfect tennis I've ever seen.

DunlopDood
06-09-2009, 09:36 PM
Federer vs Santoro US Open 2004. 53 winners in a short 3 set blowout, unbelievable!

veroniquem
06-10-2009, 05:46 AM
I think many. Federer in the semi of AO 2007 against Roddick and Nadal in the final of RG 2008 against Fed are 2 matches that stand out for me but there are lots of others.

!Tym
06-10-2009, 07:08 PM
The long post above is exactly why Bruguera is the most credible person to listen to when he says that Federer is ten times better than Sampras. That and the 3-2 H2H vs Sampras.

Actually I don't agree with that AT ALL.

Bruguera's opinion is tainted as is EVERY player based on how they INDIVIDUALLY matchup.

Head to head tells you virtually nothing imo. There are a handful of top talents each generatation, when the top guys face each other some will matchup better with some than others. Agassi for example would probably feel Rios to be unnaturally talented. While, Chang would probably think, eh, less talented than given credit for. Chang stylistically matched up well with Rios and Rios well with Agassi, that's just how it is. Bruguera matched up reasonably well with Sampras style-wise, so he would of course have a tainted view point imo.

Just because Sampras would play in cruise control mode for 90% of most sets doesn't mean his best wasn't up to snuff with the best of Federer.

10times better or whatever Bruguera said was also obviously exaggerated, it just slipped out type comment, I seriously doubt if pressed on it he'd say he feels Sampras is LITERALLY ten times inferior the player to Sampras.

Actually, the third set of that masters with Sampras, Bruguera's level dropped sure, but honestly it was pretty much even still (and Bruguera still playing quite well) until the tail end of the set. It was the classic Sampras scenario. On serve, Sampras up 4-3, Bruguera serves to level the match...then something inexplicable happens, he plays two loose points/inexplicable errors. Sampras plays one or two good points or something like that, I don't know it's all a blur, but next thing you know, Bruguera gets a little tight serving this game for some reason, and he's just lose the game in the blink of an eye and is now down 5-3 with Sampras serving for the match...what just happened?

Next game, Bruguera regroups, plays I think I'm recalling two great points, but falls just short still, Sampras serves it out, done deal. 6-4. Sampras has just gone from bowing down in mock at the beginning of the set, to just STEALING the set and match right from under Bruguera and Bruguera's left scratching his head wondering what just happened, he was playing so well?

That's how it was with Sampras. Honestly, Bruguera outplayed him this match, it was clear. Sampras still won....

Whether he was playing good or bad, an opponent hot or off, in the end, Sampras would still most likely win. That's the UNSPOKEN pressure his serve put on other players. You can't take that away from the guy.

If he didn't need to be playing his best to win, because of his serve, that's a TESTAMENT to his game. It may make him seem lucky yes, but it doesn't take away from his greatness any.

A class genius if he doesn't need to study as hard as others but still gets straight A's, do you penalize him? No. It is what it is. Tough luck. All the credit.

maddogz32
06-11-2009, 10:06 AM
i cant think of one but it would be a sight to see if it happened