PDA

View Full Version : children of tennis greats?

trenzterra
06-08-2009, 06:34 PM
hmm isn't it strange that we don't really hear a lot about their children? as in, it seems that their children are kinda reluctant to follow in their parent's footsteps and be tennis players as well.

i mean, if they followed their fathers, we would be having mcenroe jrs and borg jrs on the tennis circuit now, with up and coming agassi jr and sampras jr...

Arafel
06-08-2009, 07:22 PM
Many former pros don't necessarily want their kids to follow in their footsteps. The tour is hard on the players. Additionally, this seems to be the usual no matter what the endeavor. You don't see too many kids of famous musicians go on to become outstanding artists in their own right. While the Howe brothers were successful players and skated with their dad Gordie on the Hartford Whalers, they were unusual in the NHL.

CyBorg
06-08-2009, 07:42 PM
On Robin Borg: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=180059

joeri888
06-08-2009, 10:10 PM
I think a lot of parents need to push their children very young and very hard to practice if they are gonna be the next best thing (I know this goes for some cases, but for instance Roger Federer wasn't pushed). Most people that have been pro's themselves aren't like that, and don't necessarily seek the money and glory of having a son/daughter in professional tennis I think. Besides that, It's also kinda hard for a teenager to live up to expectations because you are the 'son of'.

For instance, Jordi Cruijf has made it to professional football (soccer) as the son of the legendary Johan Cruijf. Everyone here said Jordi was a terrible player, but he made it to Barcelona, ManUtd, national team, so he wasn't that bad, he was just always being compared to his father.

I wouldn't want to be no 30 in the world and be considered poor because my father was the legendary Bjorn Borg

AndrewTas
06-08-2009, 11:37 PM
Maybe tennis greats discourage their kids to play the sport, or maybe the kids experiences while they were growing up made them not want to play tennis. Lendl's three girls are playing pro-golf.

During the Australian Open I saw Sergei Bubka Jnr hit up against Tommy Haas. Watch out for him in a few more years. So other athletes kids are picking up the sport.

arunstennis
06-09-2009, 06:48 AM
i was thinking the same thing, i want to see federer's kid be pro lol and start another dynasty

CEvertFan
06-09-2009, 01:23 PM
I don't think Evert wants any of her three sons to follow in her footsteps either but I'm sure she would support them if they did want to.

bluetrain4
06-09-2009, 01:39 PM
I would imagine that most famous sports parents realize that the chances of their offspring being top tier athletes is pretty slim, regardless of their "good genes."

I'd also think that if their child does show superior athletic promise and a willingness to work hard, they have the knowledge and resources to help them along.

But, most elite sports parents (who are by and large wealthy because they were elite athletes) seem to focus on education and simply want their children to get a good education, which they can readily pay for. Sports for many of these kids is just an extracurricular activity, not a life calling, just as it is for most kids.

tomn
06-10-2009, 04:44 PM
Julius Irving and daughter, Alexandra Stevenson

peekaboo
06-10-2009, 05:11 PM
Yannick Noah's son won two NCAA college basketball championships and plays in the NBA for the Bulls. I wonder how good Joakim Noah is at tennis. At 6'11 he would probably have a massive serve.

get it in
06-11-2009, 01:48 PM
lookup Taylor Dent

Aeropro master
06-11-2009, 03:17 PM
Julius Irving and daughter, Alexandra Stevenson

also in the nfl: There is Archie Manning and the Manning Brothers.

Moose Malloy
06-17-2009, 09:24 AM
During the Australian Open I saw Sergei Bubka Jnr hit up against Tommy Haas. Watch out for him in a few more years

He lost in the 2nd round of Wimbledon qualifying(6-4 in the 3rd)

droliver
06-17-2009, 04:59 PM
Fred Stolle's son, Sandon, was a top doubles player for a few years.

Kim Clijster's father was a top footballer
Nadia Petrova's parents were olympic athletes as are a number of other female players from the former USSR

vive le beau jeu !
06-18-2009, 12:28 AM
is this miloslav mecir jr. the son of the miloslav mecir we all know ?...
http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Players/Me/M/Miloslav-Mecir.aspx
http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Players/Me/M/Miloslav-Mecir-Sr.aspx

kelkat
06-18-2009, 03:29 PM
Lendl and Korda's daughters are up and coming golfers....

http://www.stargamesinc.com/athleterepresentation/ivanlendl.html
(scroll to the bottom)

davey
06-18-2009, 03:48 PM
Baseball, football and basketball have several families. Especially baseball with at least 2 families with 3 generations of players and many more 2 generation families. While most don't make it to the majors every draft has quite a few children of major leaguers.

deddied
06-18-2009, 04:13 PM
Bobby Riggs grandson, Danny Riggs, is one of floridas top junior players.