PDA

View Full Version : Will the following young players fulfill their potential?

grafselesfan
06-09-2009, 04:07 AM
Will any of the following players ever fulfill their potential:

-Tomas Berdych
-Richard Gasquet
-Marcos Baghdatis
-Marin Cilic
-Ernests Gulbis
-Kei Nishikori

Or was their potential somewhat overrated in the first place.

Fedexeon
06-09-2009, 04:11 AM
I think Marin Cilic will, because he's the most consistent among this group of players.. Nishikori and Baghdatis are very talented players, but both are injury prone.. and Baghdatis is not getting any younger! Gulbis is very talented as well, but i think he's sort of like a nut case..... and his results this year are really awful.....

Berdych is very good as well, but i think its getting too late for him to start winning grand slam.. And Gasquet has just been banned 2 years for consuming cocaine.. Lolz?

flying24
06-09-2009, 04:17 AM
Berdych- big NO
Gasquet- NO
Baghdatis- NO

Cilic- yes, atleast what I perceive his potential to be which would be winning 1 or 2 majors and being a top 5 player at some point.

Gulbis- not sure yet, I still think he could someday.

Nishikori- dont think he has that much potential. Just a grinder.

Tempest344
06-09-2009, 04:18 AM
Gasquet's nose most likely has already filled a lot of potential

flying24
06-10-2009, 05:28 AM
Where is Berdych ranked now?

RFtennis
06-10-2009, 05:39 AM
None of them except Gulbis. That kid has got some talent. In a few years he will be up in the top 10. Just you guys wait.

P_Agony
06-10-2009, 05:45 AM
I still have hopes for Gasquet, but with recent drugs issues plus with him never really making a big statement it seems less likely every day. He has the talent, he has the movement, he just doesn't have the mind. He's still rather young, and he could still win titles in the futures, but I'm getting less hopeful by the day.

Gulbis and Nishikori are still young. There is no telling if they will be able to. Cilic is already getting there, but he's yet to beat a top player and make a statement (ala Del Potro).

Berdych and Baghdatis - too late for them.

sh@de
06-10-2009, 05:50 AM
Cilic has the best chance in my books. The rest... I don't know enough about them really to comment, but judging by what I hear from them, they don't seem to have really bright futures...

veroniquem
06-10-2009, 05:50 AM
The first 3 won't. The last 3 could still do it.

grafselesfan
06-10-2009, 05:52 AM
Berdych and Baghdatis - too late for them.

I think they turn 24 this year. Not sure if they already have or not. Berdych should be nicknamed Birdbrain. He just hits everything as hard as he can and wishes for the best. No point construction, strategy, or playing the percentages at all. Basically Safin with half the talent.

Gorecki
06-10-2009, 05:59 AM

-Tomas Berdych no
-Richard Gasquet mostlikely not
-Marcos Baghdatis not coming back that is a given
-Marin Cilic Maybe
-Ernests Gulbis im starting ot suspect no!
-Kei Nishikori where the hell did he go?

my opinion....

MarcRosset1992
06-10-2009, 06:10 AM

-Tomas Berdych
-Richard Gasquet
-Marcos Baghdatis
-Marin Cilic
-Ernests Gulbis
-Kei Nishikori

The top three are definitely not young anymore, or if one still considers them young, one would have to ask the same question of Simon, Wawrinka, Almagro, Monaco, Tsonga....

Cilic looks like the lone promising star of the bottom three

Lsmkenpo
06-10-2009, 06:34 AM
Baghdatis will come back he is only 23yo, and from a talent standpoint is probably top 5 level, very few players hit as clean.

He seems to be taking his fitness more seriously now, he was working with Gil Reyes in Vegas to get back into shape.

I expect him to start his comeback at Wimbledon this year, he is a very good grasscourt player, statistically he has been a top 5 player on grass over the past 4 years.

fps
06-10-2009, 07:28 AM
Baghdatis will come back he is only 23yo, and from a talent standpoint is probably top 5 level, very few players hit as clean..

eh. which of the top 5 do you see him displacing?

some of these guys, by the way, do not have the potential to win grand slams. i'd say berdych has fulfilled his potential.

malakas
06-10-2009, 07:35 AM
For Marcos this year will be very telling of his future.He had a long injury and he's just starting to come back.

Berdych will be a dangerous floater maybe he can make a deep run in a GS or two.
Gasquet..I think if the cocaine story goes away,he will return much more determined and maybe he will fullfil some of his potential.But if he's banned for 2 years...:/
I still believe in Gulbis because of one bad year,everybody is jumping off the bandwagon,but he's still very young.
I think Cilic will be a top20 and Nishikori I really don't know..

tomn
06-10-2009, 01:18 PM
-Tomas Berdych > nope
-Richard Gasquet > nope
-Marcos Baghdatis > nope
-Marin Cilic > maybe
-Ernests Gulbis > yes
-Kei Nishikori > maybe

jamesblakefan#1
06-10-2009, 01:39 PM
I don't know why everyone's so down on Berdych. He's still top 20 player, got a good game, he could definetly still rise to top 10, which would about be his potential, IMO. Let's not forget this was the guy that had Fed on the ropes in the AO. If Verdasco can make the turnaround he has, when most had counted him as an underachiever, why not Berdych?

jms007
06-10-2009, 01:40 PM
Cilic is the only one.

jamesblakefan#1
06-10-2009, 01:42 PM
As far as Gulbis, a lot of people are thinking he's younger than he really is. He's gonna be 21 in August. He's gotta start making some big moves in his career, and win some big matches. He can't do that losing in the 1st round to guys like Alberto Martin.

Razda
06-10-2009, 02:03 PM
For me, I think Baghdatis, Gulbis, Cilic & Nishikori have more to offer.

Cilic: right now, seems to be the most accomplished with the great serve and power.

Gulbis: Great groundstrokes and serve but needs to be consistent mentally.

Baghdatis: Expecting him to do a lot better than what he's doing now. Expecting a comeback.

Nishikori: bit injury prone and he can be better with a better serve and return. Note: I disagree with a poster calling him a grinder. Nishikori is far from that.

Serendipitous
06-10-2009, 02:06 PM
Ernests Gulbis

Cloudy
06-10-2009, 03:38 PM
I don't think you can rule any of them out. Berdych is 23, Gasquet is doesn't turn 23 until this month.

Just look at Verdasco and Simon both coming to the top 10 at 24+

MarcRosset1992
06-10-2009, 03:43 PM
I don't think you can rule any of them out. Berdych is 23, Gasquet is doesn't turn 23 until this month.

Just look at Verdasco and Simon both coming to the top 10 at 24+

It is likely to be a short visit, though

Cloudy
06-10-2009, 03:46 PM
Simon prob yep. I think Verdasco might be slighly more long lived. Look at Soderling making a slam final who the hell would have predicted that.

MarcRosset1992
06-10-2009, 03:50 PM
Simon prob yet. I think Verdasco might be slighly more long lived. Look at Soderling making a slam final who the hell would have predicted that.

Swedes have a habit of getting one-way tix to finals, never to be seen again: Prenfors, Nordman, Johansson and now Soderling. The latter is as much a one off as the others. Federer exposed painfully his shortcomings with respect to movement and tactics

GraniteHoosier
06-10-2009, 04:02 PM
Berdych and Gasquet are or have been as good as they are going to get I think (maybe Baghdatis too).

Cilic - May crack the top 10 for a while; could be even better if he can add some more strength and a little more pop to his game (like Del Potro has, although I am not saying he will be that good).

Nishikori - I don't think he has any real weapons to be an elite player. Maybe top 20.

Gulbis - My personal opinion is that while he may have talent, he's desitined to be a journeyman; he doesn't seem to have the drive to do better (i.e compare his record to Cilic, it's probably lopsided in Cilic's favor).

Lsmkenpo
06-10-2009, 04:06 PM
eh. which of the top 5 do you see him displacing?

some of these guys, by the way, do not have the potential to win grand slams. i'd say berdych has fulfilled his potential.

I stated his talent level is on par with the top five, not that I expect him to move into the top 5 and displace someone right away, he still has work to do, but the talent is there, I think he is one of the cleanest ball strikers on tour.

jamesblakefan#1
06-10-2009, 04:07 PM
You guys are holding out hope for Baghdatis but giving up on Berdych? Baghdatis isn't even top 100 anymore, he's a sinking ship. Not young anymore either, in tennis terms, turns 24 next week.

Serendipitous
06-10-2009, 04:09 PM
Dimitrov should be on the list.

dincuss
06-10-2009, 04:09 PM
Gulbis is probably my favorite player to watch on tour currently, I hope he gets fufills his potential. He has so much talent, but chokes sometime. Hope hes no Safin....

Claudius
06-10-2009, 04:13 PM
Berdych, Gasquet, & Baghdatis - No
Nishikori - He's very consistent, but he lacks the punch. Yes, he does have a big forehand, but still, his counter-punchery style plus the lack of exceptional defensive skills that would be necessary for his style makes him very vulnerable against big hitters especially on fast surfaces.
Cilic - He has got the big shots and pretty good net play as well. I can easily see him in the top five pretty soon.
Gulbis - His shots are nuclear, but very inconsistent as well. I honestly don't know how he'll do.

Lsmkenpo
You guys are holding out hope for Baghdatis but giving up on Berdych? Baghdatis isn't even top 100 anymore, he's a sinking ship. Not young anymore either, in tennis terms, turns 24 next week.

Baghdatis dropped because of injury, he will move back up the rankings pretty swiftly, during grass and hardcourt season.

Claudius
Gulbis is probably my favorite player to watch on tour currently, I hope he gets fufills his potential. He has so much talent, but chokes sometime. Hope hes no Safin....

Gulbis will be lucky to have a career like Safin.

The-Fed-Express
06-10-2009, 04:18 PM
None of them except Gulbis. That kid has got some talent. In a few years he will be up in the top 10. Just you guys wait.
Agree with that. He's a class apart from the others there, he has something special.

But, talent means very little when you get to a certain level. These guys are all top players and could beat any player in the world on their day. It's 90% in the mind whether they dominate the game.

malakas
06-10-2009, 04:23 PM

it's not like his level of play lowered,he was out due to injuries.He's back now and seems more determined.I will wait till the end of this season to make my conclusions.

thalivest
06-10-2009, 04:24 PM

Any young player with great talent and potential would love to have Safin's career. It is amazing how people forget how incredibly hard it is to have a 2 slam/4 slam final like career and dont even appreciate it. If Gulbis could be told today he would have Safin's career he would probably leap out of his shoes out of excitement. It is not like everyone can be Federer or Nadal.

thalivest
06-10-2009, 04:27 PM

Out of all of Nadal, Djokovic, Murray, Gasquet, Baghdatis, Berdych, Monfils, Del Potro, Gulbis, Cilic, even Nishikori, it is Berdych clearly has the least talent and potential out of all of those. He is pretty good but nothing special, even if he maxed out his potential. Someone like Robin Haase probably even has more talent than Berdych, but you never hear about him, but he is a much bigger underachiever so far. I saw him blast Berdych off the court at his own power game in Canada a couple years ago. I agree with the earlier poster who said Berdych has already fulfilled his potential, which was never anything amazing.

dincuss
06-13-2009, 06:35 PM
Any young player with great talent and potential would love to have Safin's career. It is amazing how people forget how incredibly hard it is to have a 2 slam/4 slam final like career and dont even appreciate it. If Gulbis could be told today he would have Safin's career he would probably leap out of his shoes out of excitement. It is not like everyone can be Federer or Nadal.

I meant safins mental toughness.
Almost anyone would love to have safins career

Casey10s
06-13-2009, 06:39 PM

-Tomas Berdych
-Richard Gasquet
-Marcos Baghdatis
-Marin Cilic
-Ernests Gulbis
-Kei Nishikori

None of these players will. They just haven't shown enough maturity to stay consistent. A few of these players are mentally weak and I don't see that changing in the near future for any of them.

The_Punisher
06-13-2009, 06:39 PM
poll??

-Tomas Berdych: if he get's his consistency up, then i can see him getting far into slams. but right now no.
-Richard Gasquet: i think we should wait to see how his doping case goes first...
-Marcos Baghdatis: AO 2006 was his year, i don't see much of a future for him, he's like out of the top 100 now and he's not playing very well.
-Marin Cilic: yes, but he's still not completely there mentally.
-Ernests Gulbis: same as berdych.
-Kei Nishikori: i just don't think he's competitive enough. he's got talent, but he just doesn't seem to go all out on any matches.

Toxicmilk
06-13-2009, 07:31 PM

-Tomas Berdych No...but I hope I'm wrong
-Richard Gasquet Probably not IMO...but we'll see after he comes back
-Marcos Baghdatis nope.
-Marin Cilic Has a chance.
-Ernests Gulbis omg i hope so, he can be so damn good sometimes
-Kei Nishikori I can see him getting into the top 20 if he manages to avoid these stupid injuries. and he is so not a grinder, to whoever said that.

My Opinion; I'm most hopeful for Nishikori and Gulbis...most entertaining player on the list imo.

ChanceEncounter
06-13-2009, 08:22 PM
Gulbis needs more than just mental maturity. He needs to learn to play the game properly; it's as much a skill as learning how to strike the ball. He doesn't play a brand of tennis that will ever be consistent.

Combine that with a habit of choking in big moments, and I'm inclined to say he'll be career underachiever. I hope he proves me wrong, though, because he's a lot of fun to watch.

rfprse
06-13-2009, 09:03 PM
Any of the players mentioned would fulfill their 'potential' if they get hot for a major or two.
Of course, this might be too low an expectation of some of them such as Gulbis, Cilic, Baghdatis and Berdych.

It all depends on what one's expectation of a certain player is.

nadal for number1
06-23-2009, 04:44 PM
gasquet is out for a looong while.... he might never really make it back big.... gulbis FTW