PDA

View Full Version : Question on attending Wimbledon

Agassifan
06-09-2009, 03:20 AM
Has anyone seen matches at Wimbledon? I plan to do this a fortnight from now. Here are a few questions I have for the "experts"

- How early do I have to go and queue (for the centre court tix?).
- I plan to attend the first week and would like to do it on a day when Roger is swinging. Would that be on an odd day or an even day? This answer perhaps depends on whether Nadal will play the tournament I guess.

thx

Fedexeon
06-09-2009, 03:25 AM
Most likely Federer would be playing on the even day.. because Wimbledon has the tradition of letting the defending champion to play the first match in the Centre Court in the 1st day, which means probably Nadal would be playing in Day 1.. and so they will put Federer in Day 2. =)

Agassifan
06-09-2009, 03:32 AM
Most likely Federer would be playing on the even day.. because Wimbledon has the tradition of letting the defending champion to play the first match in the Centre Court in the 1st day, which means probably Nadal would be playing in Day 1.. and so they will put Federer in Day 2. =)

Thanks!!!!!

shadows
06-09-2009, 03:43 AM
There's around about 500 tickets available on the day for centre, no1 and no2 respectively, with about 6000 ground passes also available.

The britishtennis website says

Lets get down to business. If you get there early in the morning you will still be queuing for hours upon hours to get in so don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

The one and only queue starts at the entrance to Wimbledon Park on Wimbledon Park Road, and then zig-zags up and down the park.

There are very limited numbers of tickets available for Centre Court, No.1, and No.2 so you need to queue early to secure one of these. Ground Passes are of course readily available for those unable to obtain a show court ticket.

Quite a number of people choose to queue overnight to maximise their chances of getting the tickets they hoped for and the britishtennis site has a good guide on doing this as well, if you really want a ticket for centre then that's probably the best option

http://www.britishtennis.com/tickets/wqueue.shtml

and remember, only cash payments are accepted for tickets!

Rhino
06-09-2009, 03:45 AM
Has anyone seen matches at Wimbledon? I plan to do this a fortnight from now. Here are a few questions I have for the "experts"

- How early do I have to go and queue (for the centre court tix?).
- I plan to attend the first week and would like to do it on a day when Roger is swinging. Would that be on an odd day or an even day? This answer perhaps depends on whether Nadal will play the tournament I guess.

thx

If you don't have tickets already, then you would have to turn up on the evening before the day you want to attend. I would say between 6pm and 8pm would get you awesome tickets for centre court. Bring a tent, some food, warm clothes, etc. You can dump this stuff in your car the next morning. You receive a queue card so that you don't lose your place in line. It's very well organised.

rafan
06-09-2009, 03:49 AM
If you can get there early enough - you can enjoy the practice courts - last year I saw Safin

rhubarb
06-09-2009, 03:49 AM
Unless you particularly want to queue for the experience, why not just buy a ticket from Ticketmaster the night before? These are official tickets for the back few rows of Centre Court, and they're released the evening before so you'll know who's playing. Prices are the same as if you'd got tickets in the ballot.

Rhino
06-09-2009, 05:47 AM
Unless you particularly want to queue for the experience, why not just buy a ticket from Ticketmaster the night before? These are official tickets for the back few rows of Centre Court, and they're released the evening before so you'll know who's playing. Prices are the same as if you'd got tickets in the ballot.

I didn't know about these. What time do they go on sale?

Seany
06-09-2009, 06:17 AM
I have a debenture ticket to the final! :D

Cost me quite a bot though, but I am sure it will be worth it.

rhubarb
06-09-2009, 07:01 AM
I didn't know about these. What time do they go on sale?

Can't remember whether it's 8pm or 10pm. If you register for emails with the Wimbledon website you'll get sent the links.

Sometimes they advertise the ticket availability directly on the site too, for instance, for the women's semis last year there were still plenty available on the actual morning of play. I managed to snap up some men's semis tickets with no problem, and also first day.

http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/about/tickets/tickets.html

If you like close seats (available in the queue) then these tickets are not suitable, because they are always in the back few rows, i.e. the new seats added when they raised the building for the roof. But the convenience of not having to queue, and being able to buy them the night before, is fantastic.

Agassifan
06-09-2009, 07:09 AM
If you don't have tickets already, then you would have to turn up on the evening before the day you want to attend. I would say between 6pm and 8pm would get you awesome tickets for centre court. Bring a tent, some food, warm clothes, etc. You can dump this stuff in your car the next morning. You receive a queue card so that you don't lose your place in line. It's very well organised.

Thanks. This is exactly what I was looking for.

So presumably, through my "queue card number", I can determine whether I am among the first 500 right?. Otherwise it makes no sense queueing.

blue1
06-09-2009, 08:31 AM
What if you just want to take in the atmosphere and get a grounds pass - will there be long line-ups, etc.? I will be there for the first week and would like to chek the grounds out but won't have time to set-up camp for tickets.

Cheers
:)

joeri888
06-09-2009, 09:42 AM
I have a debenture ticket to the final! :D

Cost me quite a bot though, but I am sure it will be worth it.

Who's your favourite player?

I hope for you that it will be an exciting very close final with some great tennis. Last year's final would have been worth ANY amount

Seany
06-09-2009, 09:48 AM
Who's your favourite player?

I hope for you that it will be an exciting very close final with some great tennis. Last year's final would have been worth ANY amount

My favourites are federer ans safin, hoping for a fed nadal final.

Oh and someone was mentioning buying tickets the night before on ticketmaster, these are indeed the last rows, but you can also buy resales the night before on ticketmaster, and these seats can be in the front row if you're lucky.

Last year the night before semi-finals day, I got 2 tickets off ticket master that were re-sales, and I was in the 6th row, it was truly awesome.

Unlike the last row tickets which can be printed off, if you manage to get the re-sales, you go to the gate with the ticketmaster receipt and proof of id, you then go to the ticket office once inside the ground, at which point you will get your official tickets.

TiradPass
06-11-2009, 01:50 PM
I would also be tempted to go for Wimbledon tickets this year, hopefully Round of 16 or Quarterfinals. Having just been fortunate enough to attend the awesome Nadal-Soderling match in Paris, as well as seeing Federer and Sharapova in action, I am up for more! :)

Does Wimbledon not have an official secondary ticket exchange like Roland Garros and the U.S. Open? And as for that info provided by rhubarb about the 500 tickets released on the day before, the link seems broken?

Also, another thing about queuing, it seems the stewards give you queue cards in the evening. Therefore don't you have people who then still go back to e.g. a hotel for the night, turn up at 6am again brandishing their queue card and re-assume their place in the line? I am considering camping although I don't know, will there be enough time after getting the ticket early in the morning to rush back to the hotel for a quick shower? And is there enough grass to go around or do some people have to sleep on pavement?

P.S. I'm glad Centre Court now has that canvas covering for rain since otherwise there is no way I would risk coming just for one day.

ceejay
06-19-2009, 07:20 AM
I have another related question - What do you people reckon the chances are of seeing some play in the evening after working hours?

Is it possible to get tickets later in the day? I work near Waterloo station, and since this is my first year in London, I'm quite tempted to jump on the tube after I finish work (or sneak off early) to catch some late play. Hopefully there'll be some tennis on until it gets dark.

Obviously, I'm not expecting to see Federer/Nadal/Murray etc... but I'd still be happy to sit in the evening sun eating strawberries and watching some outside court action (or maybe even on the hill).

Docalex007
06-19-2009, 07:31 AM
I'm going on Monday ... standing in line for ground tickets as I'm guessing the show court tickets will go to the guys who camp out the night before!

So yeah.. just getting in is all I want for Monday... walk around, watch the practice courts and some of the other outside courts. Sit up on the hill. The weather looks to be great all next week! I'll take loads of pics and post them.

Can't wait!!!

Oh and I plan on getting there around 7.30.

Docalex007
06-19-2009, 07:40 AM
What time does play start during week 1?