PDA

View Full Version : Who is mentally toughest player on tour?

Stinkdyr
06-09-2009, 05:22 AM
My vote is for Federer!
(no, no, no. I is jest kidding you! I pull it your leg ov course!)

Nadal perhaps?
Who else never seems to crumble or choke under pressure?

Polaris
06-09-2009, 05:29 AM
Nadal, by a country mile.

jamesblakefan#1
06-09-2009, 05:29 AM
Nadal, Hewitt, Ferrer?

joeri888
06-09-2009, 05:42 AM
Nadal's mental toughness is very good, but I don't really know. i think there's also a lot of 'hype' about his mental and physical toughness. Guys like Federer and Murray certainly are no mental midgets. How do you define mental toughness anyway? Is it to keep fighting if you are down? Fighting for every point even if you lead 6-1 5-0? Or is it producing your best tennis on the biggest points?

geese_com
06-09-2009, 05:44 AM
I would have to say Nadal. He has so much fight in him and is able to shrug mistakes off so easily.

Rhino
06-09-2009, 05:52 AM
Let's not turn this into one of those stupid TW debates, Federer and Nadal are both as tough as each other, and Hewitt is in there too.

P_Agony
06-09-2009, 06:07 AM
Nadal is IMO the only correct answer here. This guy's fighting spirit is out of this world.

sh@de
06-09-2009, 06:17 AM
Nadal... by more than a country mile.

slice bh compliment
06-09-2009, 06:17 AM
I think the list goes pretty much like the actual ranking list.

Agassifan
06-09-2009, 06:23 AM
biggest fed fan in the world, but the right answer is Nadal

ATXtennisaddict
06-09-2009, 06:28 AM
Nadal. I never count the guy out, even if he's down 0-5 0-40.

WARPWOODIE
06-09-2009, 07:09 AM
On the women's side....it definitely isn't Dinara Safina:cry::oops:.

rosenstar
06-09-2009, 07:18 AM
No one thinks Roddick? He's a great competitor and never gives up. He has a pretty good 5-set record and always delivers in davis cup. While he might not have the federer's shot making ability, or nadal's defensive skills, he is very focused, plays every point as hard as he can, and rarely gives up. This year's french open being an exception of course.

sh@de
06-09-2009, 07:21 AM
No one thinks Roddick? He's a great competitor and never gives up. He has a pretty good 5-set record and always delivers in davis cup. While he might not have the federer's shot making ability, or nadal's defensive skills, he is very focused, plays every point as hard as he can, and rarely gives up. This year's french open being an exception of course.

Are you sure? I think Nadal's focus and concentration is way better...

rosenstar
06-09-2009, 07:28 AM
Are you sure? I think Nadal's focus and concentration is way better...

Roddick has a great 5 set record. He's won every match needed to clinch in davis cup. He definitely isn't as good a player as nadal, but I think just as mentally strong.

rwn
06-09-2009, 07:32 AM
The guy with 14 grand slam titles.

OTMPut
06-09-2009, 07:35 AM
Federer.

No one demostrated anything close to his ability in coming through tough matches in slams. even when he is playing badly he hangs on and finds a way evetually to win.

I used to think Nadal was tougher than Federer. Not after the Soderling match. He just folded up without trying to find a way.

snowpuppy
06-09-2009, 07:37 AM
biggest fed fan in the world, but the right answer is Nadal

I didn't know that the biggest fed fan in the world was name Agassifan.

Joseph L. Barrow
06-09-2009, 07:43 AM
I don't see where Roddick quit at the French- he was still arguing to try and delay the match until the morning practically 'till the end, and wasn't just letting balls go past him. For the most part, Monfils was simply a more skilled clay-courter and outplayed him.
Anyway, I think Roddick has great mental strength, as evidenced by his extraordinary persistence in the face of adversity both within individual matches and over the course of his career. However, Nadal's achievements in this category are even greater, and where Roddick has at times looked "tight" and made errors or poor decisions on crucial points, Nadal often comes up with his most incredible plays and uncanny winners when the chips are down and he seems most out of it. His penchant for fighting through severe injuries, recovering from copious quantities of match points and grinding out close matches surely clinches the title of mentally strongest player in my eyes, at least from the evidence at hand.